Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up!

Posted by: heidiv

Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 03/17/12 07:33 PM

I'm pleased to say that Unsung Heroes Recital III is a go!

The recital date will be August 20, 2012. You are invited to submit your own mp3 recording of a piece by a composer who you feel deserves more recognition. This recital was established 3 years ago to commemorate the passing of Australian pianist, Geoffrey Tozer.

Once again, many thanks to our patron and tech wizard, gerg, whose generous donation of time, talent, and finances makes these recitals possible. You rock, gerg!

Please post the title of your piece here so I can maintain the list. I realize it's 5 months away, but it's never too early to start browsing scores. wink
Posted by: Orange Soda King

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 03/17/12 07:47 PM

Yes!!

I didn't do the Alkan Sonate de Concert 3rd movement last year (I'm sorry), so put it back on for this year.
Posted by: mingusmonk

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 03/17/12 08:22 PM

Poems of the Sea - Bloch
Posted by: Kreisler

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 03/17/12 09:23 PM

As always, I think this recital is a fantastic idea. I've stickied the topic and encourage all to participate!
Posted by: currawong

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 03/17/12 11:24 PM

Couldn't manage it last year, but I'm in this year! Pieces by Margaret Sutherland (Australian composer).
Posted by: Cinnamonbear

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 03/17/12 11:45 PM

Steve Chandler--"Consolation"

Steve is a PW member. His compositions that resonate with me remind me of a cross between Bach and Scriabin. They are, however, fully Chandler. grin

I might have a few more from VERY OBSCURE unsung heroes, too. Yes, that is a tease. smile

--Andy
Posted by: Jolteon

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 03/18/12 01:45 AM

I might look into contributing some Heller. smile Not sure exactly what yet, I'll find something and post again soon. laugh
Posted by: wr

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 03/18/12 04:43 AM

Great!!

I'll try to complete the set of Twelve Esquisses by Koechlin that I started last year. And who knows, there might be some other things, too.

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 03/18/12 08:03 AM

Wow! What a great response in just a few hours. Thank you for the sticky, Kreisler. Perhaps you will submit your own recording this year?

Participants

Orange Soda King -- Sonate de Concert, III. (Alkan)
mingusmonk -- Poems of the Sea (Bloch)
currawong -- Margaret Sutherland
Cinnamonbear -- Consolation (Steve Chandler)
Jolteon -- Heller
wr -- Twelve Esquisses (Koechlin)
heidiv -- tbd

As a reminder, anyone is welcome to participate. Don't be shy, now! You're among friends. Recordings will be accepted starting about 2-4 weeks before the recital date. If you'd like to post any biographical info on your composer, feel free to post it here. We love those types of discussions!

Thanks,
Heidi
Posted by: dannylux

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 03/18/12 09:45 AM

Thanks Heidi and Greg.

Please put me down for:

1) Otto Nicolai, Etude in D flat "Gruss an Liszt" Op.40 No.3

2) York Bowen, Reverie d'Amour Op.20 No.2

Mel
Posted by: Tim Adrianson

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 03/18/12 04:31 PM

Well I've got quite a number of selections from American composers in the 1930 - 1960 era. To be specific:

Roy Harris American Ballads
Morton Gould Guaracha
William Flanagan Sonata
Paul Bowles El Bejuco and El Indio
Irving Fine Variations, from Music for Piano
Gail Kubik Sonatina
Vincent Persichetti Sonata No 5
Norman dello Joio Salute to Scarlatti, Nos 1, 2, and 4
Leo Smit Rondele

In addition, I'm thinking of recording

Quincy Porter Sonata
Ross Lee Finney Sonata, withdrawn, but subsequently revised as Sonata 3
Everett Helm Sonata Brevis

I've already recorded everything in the 1st set, but have never used the MP3 to share this. So you may see some of these or none of these, depending upon whether I get help in learning how to post.

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 03/21/12 07:44 PM

Hi Mel! So nice to hear from you. I'll put you down for those. I'm hoping to contribute some of the great pieces that you introduced me to. wink

Tim Adrianson, wow! You have enough material there for your very own recital! Quite impressive. I'll put you down for the first set for now. What format did you use for your recordings? I'm sure we can help you figure out how to convert them to mp3.

Participants
Jolteon -- Heller
heidiv -- tbd
dannylux -- Otto Nicolai, Etude in D flat "Gruss an Liszt" Op. 40, No. 3; York Browne, Reverie d'Amour, Op. 20, No. 2
Tim Adrianson -- Roy Harris, American Ballads; Morton Gould, Guaracha; William Flanagan, Sonata; Paul Bowles, El Bejuco and El Indio; Irving Fine Variations, from Music for Piano; Gail Kubik, Sonatina; Vincent Persichetti, Sonata No. 5; Norman dello Joio, Salute to Scarlatti, No. 1, 2, and 4; Leo Smit, Rondele
Posted by: arpan70

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 03/23/12 01:19 PM

I might be doing Lekeu's violin sonata which is a brilliant work not given its due credit with the biggies like Franck, Faure, Debussy. I'll let you know if I am doing it in some time.
Posted by: RandomPianist

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 04/03/12 11:00 PM

This sounds very interesting.
Sechs Lieder ohne worte (Songs without words)- Mendelsson.

I haven't performed in ages!

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 04/06/12 07:38 AM

Welcome to the forums, arpan70 and RandomPianist!

arpan70, that sounds interesting. I hope you are able to do it!

RandomPianist, while we don't like to quarrel about what constitutes an "unsung hero," I feel compelled to reply that Mendelssohn is a very mainstream composer. His "Songs Without Words" in particular are practically required repertoire. We would love to have you participate in the recital. In the spirit of the "Unsung Heroes" e-cital, could you choose a piece by an obscure composer?
Posted by: RandomPianist

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 04/08/12 06:39 AM

Ah, oops seems I have rushed into things. Sure I would, I shall go and look up a piece very soon. Could you suggest any composers that are not 'mainstream'?

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 04/08/12 11:27 PM

Heidi, I'm greatly looking forward to hearing your contributions to the Unsung Recital.

Please note that Reverie D'Amour is by York Bowen, not York Browne. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: RandomPianist
Ah, oops seems I have rushed into things. Sure I would, I shall go and look up a piece very soon. Could you suggest any composers that are not 'mainstream'?

A good place to start would be the Unsung Composers website:
http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ddfe1b657922d5541b97060d3277ddf2&

and pianophilia:

http://www.pianophilia.com/phpBB3/index.php

If you like Mendelssohn, there are a lot of obscure composers who wrote Songs without Words. One of my favorites is the 'Romance sans Paroles' Op.56 by Mélanie Hélène Bonis, which you can find at IMSLP:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Romance_sans_paroles,_Op.56_%28Bonis,_Mel%29

Also, since you are from China, any Chinese composer would be considered unsung.

Mel

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 04/09/12 10:07 AM

Mel, sorry about that! Sometimes spell check is a blessing and sometimes it's not!

RandomPianist, please do research other composers. We'd love to have you join us.

Participants
Jolteon -- Heller
heidiv -- Rêverie, Op. 10, No. 4 (Catoire); selections from Six Fantasy Pieces, Op. 17 (Dora Pejačević)
dannylux -- Otto Nicolai, Etude in D flat "Gruss an Liszt" Op. 40, No. 3; York Bowen, Reverie d'Amour, Op. 20, No. 2
Tim Adrianson -- Roy Harris, American Ballads; Morton Gould, Guaracha; William Flanagan, Sonata; Paul Bowles, El Bejuco and El Indio; Irving Fine Variations, from Music for Piano; Gail Kubik, Sonatina; Vincent Persichetti, Sonata No. 5; Norman dello Joio, Salute to Scarlatti, No. 1, 2, and 4; Leo Smit, Rondele

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 04/10/12 10:51 AM

Heidi, I've reviewed both box.com and soundcloud.com as vehicles for uploading my recordings and sending to you. From your perspective, is one better than the other -- can you use one, but not the other? To me, soundcloud looks to be more music-specific, but in either case I'll need to register into the site in order to utilize the programs. Thanks for your advice!

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 04/10/12 03:42 PM

Hi Tim,

There's actually no need to upload your recordings to either site because our techie Greg graciously lets us use his site for the Unsung Heroes e-cital, so you'll be uploading directly there. Easy as pie!

We won't actually be ready for submissions until 2-4 weeks before the recital date, depending on when the site is ready. Again, many thanks to Greg for his time and effort. Without him, this wouldn't be possible.

I've been practicing. How about everyone else?

Heidi

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 04/23/12 09:28 AM

Heidi please add to my list:

Sergei Bortkiewicz, Lyrica Nova Op.59 No.3

Thanks very much.

Mel

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 04/27/12 07:21 AM

Sure Mel! I'm looking forward to hearing all of your pieces. I love the music of Bortkiewicz especially.

Participants
Jolteon -- Heller
heidiv -- Rêverie, Op. 10, No. 4 (Catoire); selections from Six Fantasy Pieces, Op. 17 (Dora Pejačević)
dannylux -- Otto Nicolai, Etude in D flat "Gruss an Liszt" Op. 40, No. 3; York Bowen, Reverie d'Amour, Op. 20, No. 2; Sergei Bortkiewicz, Lyrica Nova, Op. 59, No. 3
Posted by: fnork

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 05/01/12 06:16 PM

This sounds like an excellent idea and it would be fun to contribute. I´ll think of repertoire in the nearest future. Just one question though - should it specifically be a piece by a lesserknown composer or could it be the other way around as well, as in a lesser known piece by a wellknown composer?
Posted by: LadyChen

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 05/02/12 09:52 PM

Strangeness of Heart -- Harry Somers

I'm working on some of Persichetti's poems so they are a possibility as well.

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 05/03/12 06:42 AM

fnork - We'd really like to keep on topic by featuring lesser-known composers, although your idea has the potential to fill an entire other recital! Please consider submitting something. We'd love to have you.

LadyChen - Welcome! I'll put you down for the Harry Sommers piece. If you are able to submit the Persichetti as well, let me know and I'll add that to our list too.
Posted by: jackbirdy412

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 06/01/12 02:00 PM

I think I'll sign up for Scarlatti, Sonata K13/L486 in G Major, and Granados, "El Pelele" from Goyescas Book II.

I understand Scarlatti is a very well known composer but personally I feel as though he is somewhat overshadowed by other more popular baroque composers. Similarly, although Granados is well known not a lot of his music is in the standard repertoire and I'm a very big fan of his Goyescas. smile

jackbirdy412
Posted by: bachelis

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 06/05/12 06:27 PM

Hello! I think I'll sign up for this recital too,
how can I make a great recording of a piece, and who
do I send it to?

Here's Mine, NOTE: They are still alive today!, lol

Jean-Michel Damase: Sonatine
Nikolai Kapustin: Toccatina Op. 36
Posted by: gerg

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 06/06/12 02:28 AM

We'll be ready for submissions August 1.

We'll try to give the site a little bit of a facelift in the meantime - no promises!

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 06/06/12 11:14 AM

gerg, HeidiV indicated that I can send the Files of my various recordings directly to you -- is that correct? Every File is posted on my private computer as "TASCAM...", with a number. I don't know much about uploading or transferring Files, and so at least for me, you're going to have to "spell out" how to send these recording Files to your attention. Thanks!

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 06/06/12 11:44 AM

Add Alkan's "Andante Romantique in C# Major" Op. 13 No. 2 for me also. smile

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 06/07/12 01:55 PM

Participants
Orange Soda King -- Sonate de Concert, III. (Alkan); Andante Romantique in C# Major, Op. 13, No. 2 (Alkan)
Jolteon -- Heller
dannylux -- Otto Nicolai, Etude in D flat "Gruss an Liszt" Op. 40, No. 3; York Bowen, Reverie d'Amour, Op. 20, No. 2; Sergei Bortkiewicz, Lyrica Nova, Op. 59, No. 3
LadyChen -- Strangeness of Heart by Harry Somers
bachelis -- Sonatine by Jean-Michel Damase; Toccatina Op. 36 by Nikolai Kapustin
jackbirdy412 -- Sonata K13/L486 by Scarlatti; El Pelele from Goyescas Book II by Granados

------------

Hi bachelis...that Kapustin Toccatina has been sitting on my music stack for a year now. I worked through the first three pages and got a headache trying to work out the tricky fingering. GREAT piece!

Stay tuned for uploading instructions on or about August 1st. Again, many thanks to Greg for all of his behind the scenes work.
Posted by: musica71

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 06/10/12 04:19 PM

Respighi , Siciliana and Gagliarda from Ancient Airs and Dances. (Transcribed by Respighi from orchestra scores.)

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 06/11/12 02:46 PM

ALSO...Rodrigo, Two Spanish Dances, Rustica and Serrana.
Posted by: DottedNotes

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 06/14/12 08:20 AM

Well, that makes two of us, then! I'm considering contributing something by Joaquin Rodrigo. But I'm even further down the techie learning curve than you (grin!):

Can you convert a recording made on a digital camera into an MP3? If not, I may be able to ask a favor of somebody who knows how to record ...
Posted by: debrucey

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 06/24/12 10:48 AM

I'll do Peter Sculthorpe - Night Pieces

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 06/24/12 09:01 PM

PARTICIPANTS
Orange Soda King -- Sonate de Concert, III. (Alkan); Andante Romantique in C# Major, Op. 13, No. 2 (Alkan)
Jolteon -- Heller
bachelis -- Sonatine by Jean-Michel Damase; Toccatina Op. 36 by Nikolai Kapustin
jackbirdy412 -- Sonata K13/L486 by Scarlatti; El Pelele from Goyescas Book II by Granados
musica71 -- Respighi, Siciliana and Galiarda from Ancient Airs and Dances; Rodrigo, Two Spanish Dances, Rustica and Serrana
debrucey -- Peter Sculthorpe, Night Pieces

-----------------

Hello, all! I'm starting to get excited about this recital because (1) we have roughly 5 weeks to go before we start accepting submissions, (2) the list is shaping up into a lovely program, and (3) I've been practicing enough to believe I might actually submit my pieces before the deadline!

Just as a reminder, all are welcome to participate by submitting an mp3 recording of themselves playing a piece by a lesser-known composer. We'll accept submissions from roughly August 1st through August 18th, with detailed instructions to follow.

Thank you to all of the participants who make this online recital possible. It's such a joy to hear our talented players and to be introduced to music we might not otherwise ever know.

Cheers,
Heidi
Posted by: Dachshund

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 06/29/12 10:51 PM

So how exactly does this work? I just sign up for a piece, recorded it and submit it to you guys on here? Sorry, I'm a little new to this.

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 06/30/12 06:52 AM

Hi Dachshund, and welcome! That's exactly how it works. You sign up for a piece here, and send in an mp3 recording of your performance.

We'll be ready to accept submissions around August 1st. There will be a new thread started titled "Unsung Heroes E-cital 2012: Call for Submissions," which will include easy instructions. Our friend Greg will work his magic behind the scenes to put it all together, and then we'll have the unveiling of the program on August 20th for all to enjoy.

The previous two events have been very well-received. It's a fabulous opportunity to hear composers we might have never heard otherwise. We hope you can join us!

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 06/30/12 01:23 PM

Thank you heidiv!
This recital sounds great! I'll spend some time looking through my music and I'll get back to you when I find something good to play for this.
Posted by: FSO

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 07/04/12 05:57 AM

Heidiv and Greg: Thank you very much for organising and sustaining interest in this; it's a lovely idea, to put it mildly smile Um...do you feel as though Alkan's already well represented? I only ask as I feel, at the moment, his Les Diablotins is the only thing I *might* have prepared in time. I stress "might" most fervently; I'm going to kick myself to Timbuktu if I don't, but I might not succeed at getting it good enough by the entry time anyway...um...so long as *someone* were to check it, and not just put it up there, amongst the well played articles, regardless of...ahem...quality, I wouldn't mind submitting an attempt. I know it's easy, but I'm not very good laugh So...would that be okay? It's okay if it's not, I won't mind ^>^
Xxx

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 07/04/12 10:20 AM

Alkan is NEVER well-enough represented, hehe. You should go ahead and prepare that piece.

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 07/04/12 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King
Alkan is NEVER well-enough represented, hehe.

Well, if that's true, I may have some last-minute Alkan to add. I've been playing the nocturne op. 57, no. 1 a lot recently, and also the c minor prelude. My standards are so low that I may be able to delude myself into thinking they are in acceptable shape by 20 August. smile

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 07/04/12 10:27 PM

Originally Posted By: wr
Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King
Alkan is NEVER well-enough represented, hehe.

Well, if that's true, I may have some last-minute Alkan to add. I've been playing the nocturne op. 57, no. 1 a lot recently, and also the c minor prelude. My standards are so low that I may be able to delude myself into thinking they are in acceptable shape by 20 August. smile

I've almost got all of 35/5 full speed... Should I try that??

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 07/05/12 06:55 AM

FSO - We would be delighted to include your Alkan submission! Please don't feel that we hold everyone to such high standards. We are all amateurs here, just attempting to do our best in the time allotted. I'm as equally reluctant to share my own recording, being that there's an entire page (the climax, no less) yet to be learned, and I'm travelling next week, with no piano in sight! At the moment, the best solution seems to be that I play that one page at half tempo and just call it the "Adagio" section. laugh

OSK and wr - Yes! Please submit your Alkan pieces too.
Posted by: SlatterFan

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 07/06/12 12:40 PM

Thanks for organizing this, Heidi and Gerg! Taking a deep breath, I will try to offer:

John Ireland -- Daydream, Meridian, Summer Evening
William Alwyn -- Fantasy-Waltzes 3 & 4

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 07/13/12 03:18 PM

Is there any preferred format that I'm supposed to submit my recordings in when it is time?

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 07/14/12 10:25 AM

Yes, Dachshund. Recordings need to be in mp3 format. There are several applications which will convert a recording from wav to mp3, including Audactity, which you can download for free.

Please let us know if you need help with that.

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 07/14/12 12:16 PM

My recordings are all on WAV right now -- I will definitely need your assistance. Thanks!

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 07/16/12 05:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Tim Adrianson
My recordings are all on WAV right now -- I will definitely need your assistance. Thanks!

Go to the Audacity website and download it . Then install it on your computer. Then open it and open one of your WAV files in it (it'll ask you whether you want to open a copy or the original - choose copy, to be safe). Then, once your WAV file is opened, click on "File" and then on "Export", and choose MP3 from the list. There are some options you can tweak at this point, but the defaults should be fine. Save the file. And that's all there is to it.

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 07/18/12 12:27 PM

wr, thanks for responding to Tim. I just returned from a lovely vacation and haven't checked the site for a few days.

Tim, I'm jealous that you already have your recordings done. I'm still learning my piece, and haven't touched a piano in a week! Let us know if you need any further assistance. We are still aiming for an August 1st target date to begin accepting submissions.

We accept sign-ups up until the last minute, so if anyone else still wants to participate, please let us know. The more, the merrier!

Thanks,
Heidi

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 07/18/12 04:19 PM

heidi and wr -- thanks for the general directives. I installed Audacity on my computer, and, coincidentally enough, my daughter just now converted my selected TASCAM files to mp3 format this afternoon. It's a good thing I had her expertise to draw upon -- she mentioned that Audacity was not all THAT easy to work with; and, fully cognizant of the almost laughable depths of my computer illiteracy, simply did the entire job once she got the hang of it. In that same vein, please spell out the steps needed to send the mp3 files to PianoWorld -- it doesn't need to include "Turn the Computer On", but virtually everything else!

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 07/18/12 06:26 PM

LOL Tim! When in doubt, ask your daughter! My own 10 year old knows more about technology than I do. I assure you that if I can work with Audacity, you can too.

Submitting a recording for the ecital is as simple as adding an attachment to an email. You just select and click. We'll let you know when the hosting site is ready for submissions, and we'll get you all set up.

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 07/19/12 05:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Tim Adrianson
heidi and wr -- thanks for the general directives. I installed Audacity on my computer, and, coincidentally enough, my daughter just now converted my selected TASCAM files to mp3 format this afternoon. It's a good thing I had her expertise to draw upon -- she mentioned that Audacity was not all THAT easy to work with; and, fully cognizant of the almost laughable depths of my computer illiteracy, simply did the entire job once she got the hang of it. In that same vein, please spell out the steps needed to send the mp3 files to PianoWorld -- it doesn't need to include "Turn the Computer On", but virtually everything else!

Your daughter is right, and I apologize for making it sound simpler than it really is. When testing how it worked, I didn't follow through all of the steps and so didn't see the extra stuff that needed to happen. My bad...
Posted by: RachFan

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 07/19/12 09:41 PM

Hi heidiv and gerg,

I hope everything is going well for you both.

For Recital III, I'd like to submit this one: Medtner, "Prologue" from Eight Mood Pieces, Op. 1, No. 1.

If possible I'd also like to submit Scriabin, Prelude Op. 37, No. 1 in B flat from his middle period. While Scriabin is a well-known composer, I believe that this piece is not nearly as well known as his Chopinesque Op. 11 Preludes. I'm sure some would be hearing it for the first time.

Let me know what you think. And heidiv, I'm delighted that you're playing Catoire!

Regards,
David

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 07/20/12 11:08 AM

Hi David,

So nice to hear from you! We'd be thrilled to have you join us. Medtner and Scriabin are both fine choices for this recital. While known to most players, both composers are not often played, and therefore mostly unknown to the general public. Besides, I have a certain fondness for the late Romantic Russians myself. smile

You (and Marc-Andre Hamelin) inspired me to tackle some Catoire. While it falls very nicely under the hands (once you figure out how to distribute the notes), I'm finding the patterns difficult to learn because it doesn't fit the prototype of, say, a typical Mozart or Chopin work. I'm out of my comfort zone!

I am looking forward to hearing your pieces, as ever.

Best regards,
Heidi

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 07/20/12 07:01 PM

Hi heidiv,

Thanks, I'll plan then to enter those two pieces.

Yes, Catoire's patterns can be quite difficult at times and present tall challenges. But I'll tell you this: As you know I studied his music for quite awhile. In the end, I believe that he taught me how to play the piano. So don't be discouraged--when the going gets tough, Catoire will guide you to the solutions.

Best regards,
David

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 07/27/12 08:34 AM

Heidi, please add to my list:

Viktor Kosenko, Consolation, Op.9 No.1

Thanks very much.

Mel

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 07/27/12 05:46 PM

PARTICIPANTS
Jolteon -- Heller
dannylux -- Otto Nicolai, Etude in D flat "Gruss an Liszt" Op. 40, No. 3; York Bowen, Reverie d'Amour, Op. 20, No. 2; Sergei Bortkiewicz, Lyrica Nova, Op. 59, No. 3; Viktor Kosenko, Consolation, Op. 9, No. 1
musica71 -- Respighi, Siciliana and Galiarda from Ancient Airs and Dances; Rodrigo, Two Spanish Dances, Rustica and Serrana
RachFan -- Medtner, "Prologue" from Eight Mood Pieces, Op. 1, No. 1; Scriabin, Prelude, Op. 37, No. 1

-----------------

Good evening or good morning, depending on your locale!

To say I'm thrilled with this list is an understatement. What a wonderfully eclectic program we have. I'm looking forward to hearing each and every piece.

We are on track to accept submissions starting (gulp) next Wednesday, August 1st. I'll start a new thread titled "Unsung Heroes 8/20/12: Call for Submissions" and you can follow directions from there. If you run into difficulty submitting your recording, no need to worry...we'll have 2 1/2 weeks to help you figure it out!

Regards,
Heidi

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 07/27/12 06:14 PM

Alright, um...since *you're* being brave and putting your name up for the Catoire, I'll submit myself to saying you can put me in for Alkan esquisses 21 and 45; Morituri Te Salutant and Les Diabolitins respectively...you're a sod laugh

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 07/28/12 04:50 PM

Hi FSO, and welcome! We'd love to include you on the program. I'm sure Orange Soda King will be especially pleased by the inclusion of additional Alkan pieces.

As to whether I'm being brave or whether I'm being foolish remains to be seen. There's a fine line between the two!

Now, I'll have to ask you to translate the expression "you're a sod" because English is my second language. My first language is American. laugh

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 07/28/12 05:12 PM

Sweet of you to consider him; I'm assured too smile Now foolishness and bravery walk hand in hand surely...I mean, were one to do something rational and not at all challenging or otherwise out of one's ability, how could it be deemed brave? laugh
Um...probably best not to translate it *too* accurately... *cough* let's just say it's a vulgar and cheery way of thanking you ^>^
Xxx

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 07/28/12 08:00 PM

A vulgar way to say "thank you"? Huh. I guess some things just don't translate.
Posted by: ronde des sylphes

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 07/29/12 06:39 AM

It's great to see another of these recitals popping up. Some very interesting material! I'd like to offer a couple of recordings which I already have - Liapunov's fifth transcendental etude (op. 11 no. 5) and the first of Thalberg's L'art du chant transcriptions set (op. 70 no. 1, an arrangement from Bellini's I Puritani).
Posted by: Inlanding

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 07/29/12 11:31 AM

I will add a fine melodist to the mix by submitting a short piece, Élégie, by Massenet, aka., Jules Émile Frédéric Massenet. wink

Really fantastic submissions. Look forward to listening.

As always, Heidiv, thank you for your efforts, putting your energy to coordinate such a wonderful event

Glen

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 07/29/12 03:48 PM

Hi ronde de sylphes, and welcome to the forums!

Glen, so nice to hear from you. Glad you'll be joining us.

PARTICIPANTS
Jolteon -- Heller
dannylux -- Otto Nicolai, Etude in D flat "Gruss an Liszt" Op. 40, No. 3; York Bowen, Reverie d'Amour, Op. 20, No. 2; Sergei Bortkiewicz, Lyrica Nova, Op. 59, No. 3; Viktor Kosenko, Consolation, Op. 9, No. 1
RachFan -- Medtner, "Prologue" from Eight Mood Pieces, Op. 1, No. 1; Scriabin, Prelude, Op. 37, No. 1
ronde de sylphes -- Liapunov, Transcendental Etude, Op. 11, No. 5; Thalberg, L'art du chant, Op. 70, No. 1, arrangement from Bellini's I Puritani
Inlanding -- Massenet, Élégie

----------

WOW!

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 07/31/12 06:53 AM

I was thinking about the order in which to submit my Recital pieces and I was surprised to find that their keys are:

A
E
B
F#
Gb
Db

Mel

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 08/01/12 12:38 PM

Wow, Mel. What a coincidence!

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 08/01/12 12:42 PM

We are ready for submissions!

Call For Submissions

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 08/10/12 10:04 PM

Finally figured out how to submit, and apparently submitted my Rodrigo twice. Hopefully someone can delete one of them!

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 08/11/12 06:17 AM

Hi musica71,

Glad you were able to submit those! I do see on the submissions page that the Rodrigo is listed twice. We'll get that taken care of for you.

If you go to the Call for Submissions thread, you'll see that I responded to your question there a couple of days ago. Also, I responded to the PM you sent me a few days ago too, but I notice it's still unread.

Thanks so much for your recordings! I'm looking forward to hearing them.

Best regards,
Heidi

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 08/15/12 05:00 PM

Hi heidiv,

I was looking at the submissions and noticed that I'm the only one whose pieces are separated (although I loaded them together). All the others are grouped by pianist. Is there a way to get the Prologue and the Prelude back together again? If not, that's OK.

Thanks.

David

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 08/16/12 06:50 AM

Hi David,

That's a function I'm unable to do, but it should be easy for Greg. If you recall, we had the same issue in a prior year when the movements of your piece were listed out of order.

I'll make Greg aware of it. Looking forward to listening!

Regards,
Heidi

Re: Unsung Heroes III Recital, 8/20/12: Sign-up! - 08/16/12 11:14 AM

Hi Heidi,

That'll be fine. Thanks! And looking forward to your Catoire piece too!

David