Parallel sets practice

Posted by: Franz Beebert

Parallel sets practice - 03/21/12 09:05 AM

Hi everyone!

I have recently read C.C Chang's Fundamentals of Piano Practice. The author talks a lot about Parallel sets practice as a very effective way of gaining technique and managing difficult passages in pieces. The problem is, I don't quite understand how to use this approach after reading his book.. I don't understand what it is really :P Can someone please try to explain these so called parallel sets and how to use and practice them for me? I would really appreciate it! I would also like to here your thoughts on these exercises, good or bad? smile

Thanks!
Posted by: Vid

Re: Parallel sets practice - 01/30/13 01:37 PM

I know this is an old post but I was searching "parallel sets" and this has no replies.

I've been reading this book as well and wonder if anyone uses this technique and if yes could they explain how it works.

Thanks!
Posted by: Kreisler

Re: Parallel sets practice - 01/30/13 03:08 PM

As far as I know, "Parallel Set" is a term invented by Chang for his book.

But, reading over it, it sounds similar a standard practice technique that I've heard called "blocking" or playing the "skeleton" or "outline."

That's it in a nutshell. Chang wraps a lot of excruciating detail and extra verbiage around his ideas, but the basic gist of what he's saying is usually pretty solid.