Rach 2nd Concerto for solo piano

Posted by: carlosj116

Rach 2nd Concerto for solo piano - 10/03/12 02:12 PM

Just looked at this and it is pure insanity, here's the link to a midi for anyone interested, http://www.classicalmidiconnection.com/midiplay/playmidi.shtml?mid/rachmaninov/con2-cm
cant find any sheet music just that midi, saw it and thought it would interest a few people here,
Carl
Posted by: Derulux

Re: Rach 2nd Concerto for solo piano - 10/03/12 11:03 PM

I could only listen to about 30 seconds of it before it grated on my nerves. wink Sounds like someone entered the piano and piano redux of the orchestra into a midi converter and played it. If you want the sheet music, go to imslp.org and check for Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano concerto.

Re: Rach 2nd Concerto for solo piano - 10/07/12 02:17 PM

Yeah, I'm learning it now and it sure seems that way, in all honesty though its not too hard, the orchestrated parts are mostly when your right hand is free so its not much harder than the piano only version, and yeah IMSLP is probably the best place for public domain sheets,
Carl
Posted by: jesseoffy

Re: Rach 2nd Concerto for solo piano - 10/07/12 04:42 PM

Why not just learn the concerto itself? You can find an accompanist who'll play the full orchestral version for you if necessary.

Re: Rach 2nd Concerto for solo piano - 10/14/12 01:29 PM

I don't like the idea of accompanists, I'd rather play the whole thing myself, as you are in complete control of the music when performing a solo version, also it is much easier to practice without an accompanist for me, as I don't know any accompanists
Posted by: pianoloverus

Re: Rach 2nd Concerto for solo piano - 10/14/12 02:40 PM

I think the idea of playing both the piano solo and orchestra part as a piano solo works only for a small number of concerti, in particularly those with a minimal orchestral part. Something like the second movements of the Chopin concerti which have both been transcribed for piano solo by significant composers.
Posted by: BruceD

Re: Rach 2nd Concerto for solo piano - 10/14/12 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: carlosj116
I don't like the idea of accompanists, I'd rather play the whole thing myself, as you are in complete control of the music when performing a solo version, also it is much easier to practice without an accompanist for me, as I don't know any accompanists

The difficulty of finding an accompanist and the time to work with him/her aside, this does somewhat negate the whole ensemble idea of a concerto, doesn't it?

Regards,

Re: Rach 2nd Concerto for solo piano - 11/12/12 03:37 PM

Yeah Ive thought that a few times but after hearing Alkan's Concerto for Solo Piano, I do believe that you can get a similar atmosphere with the right dynamic balance and bringing out different parts,
Carl
Posted by: Thracozaag

Re: Rach 2nd Concerto for solo piano - 11/12/12 08:12 PM

I think Percy Grainger did a solo version of the 3rd movement.
Posted by: argerichfan

Re: Rach 2nd Concerto for solo piano - 11/12/12 11:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Thracozaag
I think Percy Grainger did a solo version of the 3rd movement.

Indeed. And recorded by Martin Jones in his 5 CD set on Nimbus of the Grainger piano works.
Posted by: btb

Re: Rach 2nd Concerto for solo piano - 11/13/12 12:34 AM

My version of the Rach PC2 is for two pianos ... I’m quite happy to to play each score separately ... eg. On page 1(after the dramatic opening 8 measures) ... and while the RH does it’s racy arpeggiated upward runs ... it’s sheer delight to pick up on the bold theme on the other score.

Maybe I should buy another piano to promote a duet ...
but haven’t got the cash ... anyhow, where would I park my car!!