Recommended Reads

Posted by: TylerNB

Recommended Reads - 10/05/12 02:35 PM

I know it has been a while and I have been very busy lately. I am now more focused than ever on my piano, getting up to two hours of practice a night on school nights. My new teacher has been helping me improve more than ever, and everyone around me has noticed this improvement, though I still have a long way to go. I wanted to give you guys a bit of an update of what I have been doing.

As far as this post is concerned, I have been trying to expand my knowledge as much as I can by reading. I have taken up reading biographies of many composers(currently working on Chopin and Bach) I have been working on the book Great Pianists on Piano Playing So far it is quite enjoyable to offers some wonderful advice on my part as well as a lot to learn from. I read in one chapter that it is a good idea to read up on many different composers on lives to gain more of an idea on how they meant their pieces to be interpreted, so there is my reasons for that. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any reads that could improve me in any way possible musically. I am constantly seeking ways to improve now so it would be of great help. Thank you very much.

-Tyler
Posted by: debrucey

Re: Recommended Reads - 10/05/12 02:43 PM

There are two fantastic books, one on Debussy and one on Ravel, by a fantastic pianist and teacher called Paul Roberts. Highly recommended.
Posted by: Cheeto717

Re: Recommended Reads - 10/05/12 02:54 PM

Alkan: The Man The Music by Ronald Smith
Posted by: ChopinAddict

Re: Recommended Reads - 10/05/12 03:07 PM

There are some good suggestions here.
Posted by: Richter

Re: Recommended Reads - 10/05/12 03:12 PM

Not sure if this is what you were looking for, but I just finished reading through Boris Berman's "Notes from the Pianist's Bench" and found it very insightful!
Posted by: emilypianist89

Re: Recommended Reads - 10/05/12 03:23 PM

The Perfect Wrong Note by William Westney is an amazing read for all musicians! It really helped me make my practice time more effective.
Posted by: Verbum mirabilis

Re: Recommended Reads - 10/05/12 04:32 PM

The art of piano playing by Heinrich Neuhaus. It's very good.
Posted by: pianoloverus

Re: Recommended Reads - 10/05/12 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Verbum mirabilis
The art of piano playing by Heinrich Neuhaus. It's very good.
The only problem with this book that so many speak highly of is that it's very expensive and difficult to get.
http://www.neuhaus.it/english/
http://www.neuhaus.it/english/h_neuhaus_books.htm
Posted by: ChopinAddict

Re: Recommended Reads - 10/05/12 05:50 PM

I was very lucky! I got it second-hand for 3 dollars and it looks like new. A pity I could not go to the book sale that is on today because I am sick and it is raining... You can find real treasures sometimes.

Re: Recommended Reads - 10/05/12 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict
I was very lucky! I got it second-hand for 3 dollars and it looks like new. A pity I could not go to the book sale that is on today because I am sick and it is raining... You can find real treasures sometimes.
Wow! At least one online used book dealer is asking over a thousand for it.

I have been very lucky to only recently discover a library near by that has an incredible used book sale at least once a month. Virtually perfect condition mostly hard cover books usually for only $2 and at most $4. Their classical music section must have at least 500 books every month and the selection changes regularly.
Posted by: Andromaque

Re: Recommended Reads - 10/05/12 09:46 PM

which library is that?
Posted by: argerichfan

Re: Recommended Reads - 10/05/12 10:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Andromaque
which library is that?

I borrowed the Neuhaus book to read back when I was a student. Now I'm thinking I should have been absent minded and forgotten to return it. smokin
Posted by: gooddog

Re: Recommended Reads - 10/05/12 11:38 PM

Check out this thread:

Piano Books
Posted by: leemax

Re: Recommended Reads - 10/06/12 09:47 AM

"Piano. The making of a Steinway concert grand." by James Barron. It's a wonderful book. An inside-the-factory, step-by-step look at the incredible amount of work that goes into making a Steinway, as well as a history of the company, some great insights into what happens with a concert grand, artistic temperment, the basement of Steinway hall, and the time Horowitz was smuggled out of his house in the back of a Steinway van.

Re: Recommended Reads - 10/06/12 10:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Andromaque
which library is that?
St. Agnes on around 81st and Amsterdam Ave. I believe they are having a book sale this coming Wednesday from 1-4pm.(I would call to double check)When you get there you can sign up to be on their email list, and you will get an announcement every time they are having a book sale.
Posted by: TromboneAl

Re: Recommended Reads - 10/06/12 11:33 AM

A Soprano on Her Head
The Inner Game of Music
I Really Should be Practicing
The Art of Practicing
Lang Lang autobiography