Dick Hyman plays "Fingerbuster"

Posted by: Dave Horne

Dick Hyman plays "Fingerbuster" - 11/13/12 09:58 AM

I thought I posted this.

A lot of jazz folks know Dick Hyman and everyone here has heard him play whether you realize it or not. At any rate, here's a small sampling of his playing ...

Posted by: davefrank

Dick Hyman master class - 11/13/12 10:25 AM

For those further interested in the great man, please enjoy this afternoon with Dick Hyman -he talks extensively about his career, give loads of valuable piano concepts for players, and plays his ass off)

http://youtu.be/5rev_sDyeJQ
Posted by: Plowboy

Re: Dick Hyman master class - 11/13/12 11:04 AM

I've always thought his parents had a twisted sense of humor. He's a great pianist.
Posted by: Derulux

Re: Dick Hyman master class - 11/13/12 11:07 AM

Anyone know if there exists sheet music for this version? I think it would be fun to take a few days and learn this piece the way Dick plays it. smile
Posted by: BDB

Re: Dick Hyman master class - 11/13/12 11:23 AM

One should point out that this is by Willie "The Lion" Smith, not Jelly Roll Morton. (You cannot copyright titles.)
Posted by: debrucey

Re: Dick Hyman master class - 11/13/12 11:51 AM

I've never heard of this guy. Is his name really Dick Hymen? Goodness gracious me, that's unfortunate lol
Posted by: davefrank

Re: Dick Hyman master class - 11/13/12 01:46 PM

Dick Hyman, with an a
Posted by: BDB

Re: Dick Hyman master class - 11/13/12 01:58 PM

But unfortunate that it is so much like Dick Hindman! But Dick Hyman is better known. I have tuned for both of them, I recall.
Posted by: debrucey

Re: Dick Hyman master class - 11/13/12 04:02 PM

I noticed the difference in spelling, but still lol
Posted by: argerichfan

Re: Dick Hyman master class - 11/13/12 09:14 PM

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your post. Two very favourite non-classical CDs of mine (both Reference Recordings) are 'Dick Hyman Plays Fats Waller' and 'Dick Hyman in Recital'.

Incredible playing, and he is very well recorded too!
Posted by: charleslang

Re: Dick Hyman plays "Fingerbuster" - 11/14/12 01:36 AM

I've found his teaching material on youtube to be helpful; some of the things he shows from Art Tatum are part of my regular practice these days. (The people who're posting the videos are probably violating copyrights, but . . . blah blah I don't feel guilty).

Here is just one.