Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music?

Posted by: Tides

Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? - 11/17/12 12:31 PM

Do you all ever do this? kind of pretend like you are playing but not really following along.

I was sitting in my school's computer lab listening to a Tchaikovsky concerto and realized I was moving my hand along. I though this must look so obnoxious to those around me. what do you guys think?
Posted by: JoelW

Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? - 11/17/12 12:34 PM

All the time.
Posted by: bennevis

Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? - 11/17/12 01:48 PM

When listening, my fingers twitch involuntarily, silently playing along, but not noticeably to any onlookers (unless they're looking where they really shouldn't be looking.... grin). However, when I'm actually playing, I do find myself conducting my playing hand with my free hand (if I have a free hand) at the end of phrases, just to make sure I let go at the right moment.

And no, it's not because I've been copying one or two well-known pianists' mannerisms...... cool
Posted by: fledgehog

Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? - 11/17/12 03:57 PM

yep. I've also been known to conduct involuntarily, even when listening to music that doesn't require conducting. When it's a piece I know or I'm working on, I will usually actually be playing along as well.
Posted by: ChopinAddict

Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? - 11/17/12 04:10 PM

Posted by: GeorgeB

Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? - 11/17/12 04:25 PM

I've seen people move their jaw subconsciously to music. Now that was strange.
Posted by: TrueMusic

Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? - 11/17/12 06:09 PM

Yep. I do that. Also, when listening to full orchestral music, I typically am picturing in my head a full piano and picturing the various sounds as if they were being played from a piano.
Posted by: tomasino

Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? - 11/17/12 06:17 PM

I remember pretending I was playing piano on my school desk when I was in about in the third grade, and we were listening to music in preparation for a young people's concert.

I also move my jaw while playing rapidly ascending or descending octaves, and so does Andre Watts.

There may be others.

Tomasino
Posted by: Ian_G

Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? - 11/17/12 06:50 PM

Brendel's jaw stops just short of a jig.

I'm an inveterate sing-along-er.

Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? - 11/17/12 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: GeorgeB
I've seen people move their jaw subconsciously to music. Now that was strange.

Like Andre Watts?

Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? - 11/17/12 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: fledgehog
yep. I've also been known to conduct involuntarily, even when listening to music that doesn't require conducting. When it's a piece I know or I'm working on, I will usually actually be playing along as well.

Do you really conduct or do you just move your arms around? smile
Posted by: ChopinAddict

Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? - 11/17/12 08:59 PM

Other people do it too. I noticed somebody at the bus stop today.
Posted by: Dave Horne

Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? - 11/18/12 04:54 AM

Is this somehow related to air guitar?

Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? - 11/18/12 07:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Joel_W

I know my beat patterns and cues thanks to the intro to conducting course I took last fall wink

That being said, a real ensemble would probably have a heck of a time trying to follow my air conducting!

Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? - 11/18/12 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Joel_W

I know my beat patterns and cues thanks to the intro to conducting course I took last fall wink

That being said, a real ensemble would probably have a heck of a time trying to follow my air conducting!

Speaking of conducting.. am I the only one who can't stop watching the conductor during concerts? I find it intriguing for some reason.
Posted by: jdhampton924

Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? - 11/24/12 01:36 PM

I know this will be an unpopular response, but it has always annoyed me when I have seen people do those kinds of things. I guess though at the end of the day, a lot of people I have seen do those kind of gestures are dis genuine in them, and are more about "look at me, I am the genius musician" I even have a friend who feels the need to conduct during movies when the beat gets pumping. Sadly this is out of a need for him to feel like he has musical talent, which he does not, I don't even have the heart to tell him that he is not even with the beat.
Posted by: bennevis

Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? - 11/24/12 02:42 PM

The older I get, the more tolerant I am of other people's foibles and mannerisms. That's because I've reached the stage where I'm totally secure in myself mentally (and even physically grin) that I don't give a toss what others think of me and my playing, and I realized that I've developed mannerisms of my own while playing (conducting myself with my free hand is only one of them), most of which were carefully suppressed when I was younger because I was very self-conscious and didn't want anyone to think that I was 'affected' when playing. So, it's only fair that if others had to put up with my mannerisms (assuming that they cared to listen to me playing), I should put up with theirs. But there are limits: Brendel's grimacing and cud-chewing still puts me off my dinner, however grin, so I never went to any of his concerts, or bought any of his DVDs.......

It's only on CD where sharp intakes of breath and grunting (many pianists), off-key singing (Gould) and moaning (Brendel again) can be disturbing if the balance engineer doesn't get the mike placement right.
Posted by: Orange Soda King

Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? - 11/24/12 03:29 PM

All the time, lol.
Posted by: sophial

Re: Anyone else move their hands when listening to piano music? - 11/24/12 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: jdhampton924
I know this will be an unpopular response, but it has always annoyed me when I have seen people do those kinds of things. I guess though at the end of the day, a lot of people I have seen do those kind of gestures are dis genuine in them, and are more about "look at me, I am the genius musician" I even have a friend who feels the need to conduct during movies when the beat gets pumping. Sadly this is out of a need for him to feel like he has musical talent, which he does not, I don't even have the heart to tell him that he is not even with the beat.

Sitting next to someone doing this at a concert or recital is very annoying, so you are not alone!