Audition for Aspen Music Festival

Posted by: Arghhh

Audition for Aspen Music Festival - 11/25/12 08:38 PM

Warning: Longish post with 2 parts laugh

If I can pull the required rep together on time for the auditions for Aspen Music Festival I'm going to apply there. I'd be applying for the Vocal Accompanying program (kind of by default).

Part A

The application asks for a list of 3 teachers I would like to study with. On the faculty this year are:

Anne Epperson (replacing Rita Sloan this year)
Choong Mo Kang
Yoheved Kaplinsky
Kenneth Merrill
Anton Nel
John O'Connor
Ann Schein
Virginia Weckstrom
Wu Han

Does anyone here have experience with any of these teachers? Two of my previous teachers were in Ann Schein's studio at the same time, and both thought she was a great teacher. I've spoken to Anne Epperson when I was applying to grad schools, and she's definitely one of my 3. Other than that, I don't know the others.

Part B
Per the website,
Quote:
Recordings are used for studio placement. BOTH A RECORDED AUDITION AND A LIVE AUDITION ARE REQUIRED.

Recording must be at least thirty minutes in length, starting with solo piano and including collaborative works, with at least two works/movements in contrasting style and tempo. One must be from the Classical Era.

And in the application itself it says:
Quote:
These submissions are a required part of the application process for all students, new and returning. Audition recordings are used by artist-faculty members to select students for their private studios and to make scholarship recommendations. Acceptance to the Aspen Music Festival and School is contingent upon acceptance into a private studio.

I'm wondering how much the recording factors into acceptance to the program versus the live audition. Is it also weird to have different things on my live audition than on my live audition?

I'm thinking of using different material for the recording, stuff that I played in recitals last year (see Member recordings for a couple examples) because that is easier to put together before Friday. If I played my new stuff, I'd also have to find time for rehearsals and recording times with soloists. For the live audition in 3 weeks I will then have the time to bring some other material to a better standard than the recording - I've made improvements to my technique since last year.
Posted by: Peter K. Mose

Re: Audition for Aspen Music Festival - 11/25/12 10:22 PM

Applying to a vocal accompanying program by default sounds regrettable. Why not apply instead to some other summer camp that might actually welcome you on your own terms? You would also free up a spot at Aspen for someone genuinely interested in working with singers.
Posted by: Ferdinand

Re: Audition for Aspen Music Festival - 11/25/12 10:39 PM

From this film you could get a sense of John O'Connor's teaching style.
youtube -- Beethoven boot camp

Re: Audition for Aspen Music Festival - 11/25/12 11:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Peter K. Mose
Applying to a vocal accompanying program by default sounds regrettable. Why not apply instead to some other summer camp that might actually welcome you on your own terms? You would also free up a spot at Aspen for someone genuinely interested in working with singers.

I debated about putting that in there. I am interested in accompanying, and I do enjoy vocal accompanying and as well as instrumental, so there's nothing to regret by that. It's just that I've done a lot more on the vocal side and feel I would have a better chance with that option instead of the instrumental option.
Posted by: emilypianist89

Re: Audition for Aspen Music Festival - 11/26/12 07:33 AM

Virginia Weckstrom is really amazing! I studied with her in Aspen!
Posted by: Pogorelich.

Re: Audition for Aspen Music Festival - 11/26/12 10:30 AM

Anton Nel and John O'Connor, no question.
Posted by: trigalg693

Re: Audition for Aspen Music Festival - 11/28/12 09:32 AM

My old teacher is best buddies with O'Conor. He is pretty awesome.

Re: Audition for Aspen Music Festival - 11/28/12 11:29 AM

Two votes for O'Connor, plus a vote for him from my professor. I'll add him to the list. I just hope I don't go crazy trying to get this audition done. The audition day is the Saturday before juries at my school, where I'm already playing my own jury plus ~12 others on Monday and Tuesday!
Posted by: Ian_G

Re: Audition for Aspen Music Festival - 11/28/12 11:55 AM

Here's O'Connor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrq0e1Hl1lE
Posted by: dolce sfogato

Re: Audition for Aspen Music Festival - 11/28/12 05:50 PM

as for the difference in recorded pieces and live-audition, YES, record some good stuff, play, live, even better, that'll do it.
Posted by: Serge Marinkovic

Re: Audition for Aspen Music Festival - 11/29/12 12:53 PM

I will taking lessons with John O'Coner after the first of the year. Great pianist and teacher his Beethoven/Schubert/Mozart are superb.
Posted by: carey

Re: Audition for Aspen Music Festival - 11/29/12 01:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Serge Marinkovic
I will taking lessons with John O'Coner after the first of the year.

Lucky guy !!
Posted by: AldenH

Re: Audition for Aspen Music Festival - 11/30/12 09:00 PM

Another vote for John O'Conor. He's simply wonderful.
Posted by: Ferdinand

Re: Audition for Aspen Music Festival - 12/01/12 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: trigalg693
You are the first to spell his name correctly. (I had it wrong too) blush
Posted by: trigalg693

Re: Audition for Aspen Music Festival - 12/01/12 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Ferdinand
Originally Posted By: trigalg693
You are the first to spell his name correctly. (I had it wrong too) blush

laugh