Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Firefinch Should I post in non Classical? - 11/27/12 11:26 AM
Here is a link to a piece I have just composed. Should it be posted in this section or not. Have a listen - let me know

Classical or not?
Posted By: Nikolas Re: Should I post in non Classical? - 11/27/12 01:40 PM
It's a very nice piece. It's not -non classical- really. So leave it here, or post it above in the 'members recordings', or perhaps visit the composers lounge to post it there. (Or do all 3 things at the same time, if you're hungry for views! grin)
Posted By: Firefinch Re: Should I post in non Classical? - 11/27/12 01:58 PM
Thanks smile
Posted By: debrucey Re: Should I post in non Classical? - 11/27/12 02:39 PM
Did you write it 250 years ago?
Posted By: BruceD Re: Should I post in non Classical? - 11/27/12 08:37 PM
I think the piece is quite lovely, but I have to say that entitling the video "Music to Help You Commit Suicide" is in highly questionable taste. The social problems, bullying paramount among them, that are leading to a rash of suicides among the young these days should dictate that another title might be much more appropriate.

Regards,
Posted By: debrucey Re: Should I post in non Classical? - 11/27/12 08:47 PM
I disagree with BruceD about the title, but agree that the piece is indeed quite lovely.
Posted By: Nikolas Re: Should I post in non Classical? - 11/27/12 09:10 PM
Yikes! I didn't notice the title. while I'm very liberal with the titles of my own works (anyone remember my thread(s) about titling a string duo work? ;)), I still feel that suicide, as idiotic as it can be, and inexcusable, it's an extremely serious issue to be making music about that...

It's not about what's appropriate really.
Posted By: MarkH Re: Should I post in non Classical? - 11/27/12 10:25 PM
My reaction to the title is twofold, but is unrelated to the previous posts:

1) On a linguistic level, I'd suggest rephrasing the title to give it a better "mouth feel" (real term!). "Piano Music To Help You Commit Suicide" is not really a title that flows off the tongue.

2) It's a lovely composition, but I'm not sure the idea of the title really matches the mood of the music. It seems somber and contemplative, not totally dissimilar from the slow movement of Schubert D. 960, but not depressive, enraged, hopeless or anything else I might associate with suicide. For a composition to reflect such a title, I feel like it would need to have a sinister, phoenix-like burning energy, for example, the second movement of Shostakovich's String Quartet No. 8, or else be filled with the most desolate despair imaginable, like Il penseroso from the 2nd book of Liszt's Years of Pilgrimage. Then there's the issue that the effect of a piece of music may be more profound if you don't blatantly advertize what the effect is going to be in the name of the piece.

But let me again say that it is a nice piece, and you play it well also smile

Posted By: ChopinAddict Re: Should I post in non Classical? - 11/27/12 11:29 PM
I am not sure I should listen to it considering my mood these days... frown
Posted By: Firefinch Re: Should I post in non Classical? - 11/28/12 12:34 AM
Ooops - it didn't have that title when I posted this thread. I was trying it out - just to see the reaction. I shall re title it. Not sure what to call it though.
Thanks for your comments.
Posted By: Cheeto717 Re: Should I post in non Classical? - 11/28/12 03:15 AM
I like it!

And I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be posted in the Pianist Corner.
Posted By: DonaldLee Re: Should I post in non Classical? - 11/28/12 03:22 AM
I like it! I love that the melody is interesting, the piece is harmonically interesting, and that the accompaniment is more that just arpeggios.
Posted By: Mark... Re: Should I post in non Classical? - 11/28/12 05:33 PM
"Suicide is painless" wouldn't raise an eyebrow,,,
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums