lightening up on that last ( little) finger

Posted by: riley80

lightening up on that last ( little) finger - 12/06/12 07:47 PM

When playing a broken chord like e.g. right handed C E G C, I seem to be coming down too hard on that last C with the 5th finger. How can I manage to play it with no accent on the final note? I'm sounding more like "ba - ba- ba- BAH".

Thanks.
Posted by: pianoloverus

Re: lightening up on that last ( little) finger - 12/06/12 07:57 PM

The same way you adjust the volume with any finger on a single note. Since the fifth finger is usually weaker than all but the fourth it seems like it should be relatively easy to accomplish what you want with practice.
Posted by: Scorchy

Re: lightening up on that last ( little) finger - 12/06/12 11:33 PM

I've been reading Gyorgy Sandor's book. Try beginning the broken chord with your wrist low, then move it upwards with each note. Also begin with your thumb in alignment with your forearm. Your wrist will look bend to the right. The with each note, move your wrist to the left, aligning each finger with the forearm on each note. The last C, your pinky will be straight with the forearm and your hand will be high and even lift above the keyboard depending on the context.
Posted by: pianoloverus

Re: lightening up on that last ( little) finger - 12/07/12 08:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Scorchy
Also begin with your thumb in alignment with your forearm. Your wrist will look bend to the right....
I can't see any possible reason for doing that unless the first C was middle C or below and then the wrist angle is related to the note being played but has nothing to do with the arpeggio. For starting on a C above middle C I think most pianists would have their fingers spread out close to how they'd be if they were just going to play a C major chord and play the notes one after another.