Beethoven sonatas

Posted by: im@me

Beethoven sonatas - 12/08/12 10:10 AM

I have just around 1 hour ago purchased Alfred Brendel playing the Beethoven sonatas, it is my personal favorite recording, but what is your favorite? and why?

Thanks
Posted by: Chopinlover49

Re: Beethoven sonatas - 12/08/12 11:04 PM

Wilhelm Kempff.
Posted by: ChopinAddict

Re: Beethoven sonatas - 12/08/12 11:53 PM

Daniel Barenboim.
Posted by: DonaldLee

Re: Beethoven sonatas - 12/09/12 01:11 AM

I like Perahia and Barenboim. I find Brendel's playing of the sonatas too reserved for my tastes.
Posted by: Derulux

Re: Beethoven sonatas - 12/09/12 01:20 AM

I don't believe I have any one pianist whom I favor for every sonata. But I will say that my favorite single performance of any one Beethoven sonata was Horowitz playing the Pathetique. Close 2nd is Arrau playing the Appassionata.
Posted by: Gerard12

Re: Beethoven sonatas - 12/09/12 10:02 AM

Alfred Brendel has recorded the 'complete' Beethoven sonata cycle 3 times: During the 60's, 70's, and 90's. I prefer his 1970's cycle, which I include as one in a handful of favorite complete cycle recordings.

Posted by: didyougethathing

Re: Beethoven sonatas - 12/09/12 10:58 AM

Arrau.
Posted by: jdhampton924

Re: Beethoven sonatas - 12/09/12 11:48 AM

Originally Posted By: DonaldLee
I like Perahia and Barenboim. I find Brendel's playing of the sonatas too reserved for my tastes.

I totally agree here. Barenboim is amazing for the sonatas, his timing and use of rubato seems perfect.

I generally enjoy Perahia more, but sadly he has not done the entire cycle.
Posted by: trigalg693

Re: Beethoven sonatas - 12/09/12 06:01 PM

I can't even say I have a favorite pianist for a complete Sonata. My favorite recording out there is probably Pletnev's Appassionata 3rd movement.
Posted by: DameMyra

Re: Beethoven sonatas - 12/10/12 01:46 AM

I prefer Brendel's first set for Vox. I purchased these as a teenager and they were my first exposure to many of the sonatas. The impression they made on me at the time have stayed with me my entire life.
Posted by: btb

Re: Beethoven sonatas - 12/10/12 02:35 AM

Way back in 1989 I joined a high power delegation to Washington as their architectural boffin (you don’t have to chortle) and was fortunate to pick up Alfred Brendel’s Beethoven Sonatas.

Felt that I was walking on air ... but had nobody with whom to kick my heels ... it’s surprising how few cultured people (said with a stiff upper lip) we have around us (move over gov'!)

My igorant lot wouldn’t have known a Waldstein from a “pathetic”.

It’s a hard life!
Posted by: wr

Re: Beethoven sonatas - 12/10/12 05:20 AM

This is one of those topics that comes around again and again (with good reason, I might add...I'm not complaining). You may want to search the archives for some interesting answers.

There are too many great recordings of both the entire cycle and of individual sonatas to choose a "favorite", but if somebody asked for a recommendation for the cycle, I'd probably go with the first Gulda recording. I like its overall "Classical" clarity, fire, and intelligence.
Posted by: Janus K. Sachs

Re: Beethoven sonatas - 12/10/12 10:53 AM

Kovacevich and Brautigam. The latter's cycle is a truly wonderful melding of head and heart.
Posted by: fledgehog

Re: Beethoven sonatas - 12/10/12 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Janus K. Sachs
Kovacevich and Brautigam. The latter's cycle is a truly wonderful melding of head and heart.

Brautigam is my turn-to cycle for the Mozart sonatas, but I still thoroughly believe that the Beethoven sonatas sound better on the modern piano (and that if Beethoven were alive today he would discourage fortepiano performances, especially of the middle and late ones).
Posted by: pianoslacker

Re: Beethoven sonatas - 12/11/12 02:44 PM

This thread just doesn't look right without two names:

Gilels
Richter

so I've added 'em. smile

(I bought the Gilels set last month and love it.)