Steinway Hall sold and Steinways West 57 store?

Posted by: Serge Marinkovic

Steinway Hall sold and Steinways West 57 store? - 12/08/12 10:52 PM

I remember buying my Steinway B and reveling in its beauty. Before my purchase I asked if I could play on Horowitz's concert piano. I was given the opportunity after Horowitz manager said it would be okay. He observed me playing and after an hour and half asked if I thought others should get this opportunity. I understand this short conversation lead to the Horowitz piano touring through the bigger Steinway stores
Here is the times story on Steinway Hall building being sold.
http://nyti.ms/11Sq554
Posted by: gooddog

Re: Steinway Hall sold and Steinways West 57 store? - 12/08/12 11:15 PM

I had the opportunity to briefly try out the Horowitz piano when it was in Seattle's Sherman Clay 5 years ago. The action was whisper sensitive and the tone was gorgeous.

My teacher, Mark Salman, who had 2 lessons with Horowitz, will be giving a recital/lecture using the Horowitz piano on Friday, December 21st at 7:30 at the Seattle Sherman Clay. He plans to talk about his lessons in Horowitz's home. As of this past Thursday, Mark hadn't yet decided on a program but he is a marvelous, professional pianist and a modest, engaging speaker. (It's free.)

Mark Salman recital
Posted by: DanS

Re: Steinway Hall sold and Steinways West 57 store? - 12/08/12 11:43 PM

I played it in Steinway Paramus. I really liked the action a lot..."whisper sensitive" is spot-on. I thought the key depth seemed just a little tiny bit shallow, not a complaint at all, just an observation. Just knowing that I was playing on a piano that had just about every piece by every major composer played on it was really cool! I got to play some Debussy and some Chopin on it. I wish I had more time, I could have played it all day. However, some annoying woman came in and started taking to me while I was playing, so I left.

Deborah, I guess that makes you Howowitz's Grandstudent!
Posted by: Serge Marinkovic

Re: Steinway Hall sold and Steinways West 57 store? - 12/09/12 12:30 AM

Wonderful to hear how Horowitz piano has inspired so many of us. Truly a memory we will never forget. Soon I will go over how I played about a minute on Beethoven piano. I wish we could play Richters piano from his apartment. Amazing they are two six foot grands
Posted by: gooddog

Re: Steinway Hall sold and Steinways West 57 store? - 12/09/12 11:26 AM

Originally Posted By: DanS
Deborah, I guess that makes you Howowitz's Grandstudent!
Not really. I think that is stretching it a bit since Mark only had 2 (life changing) lessons with Horowitz. I feel very blessed to have found Mark, who is a marvelous teacher.