Duet for 8th grade showcase-Middle School Audience

Posted by: suzukiparent

Duet for 8th grade showcase-Middle School Audience - 01/01/13 10:17 PM

Hi! My son's Performing Arts School invites their graduating students to participate in an end of the year showcase. He and his friend have been piano majors. I would say they are intermediate to early advanced. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a duet that would appeal to a middle school audience. They can also make it a little humerous. One thought I had was the Maple Leaf Rag but I am far from being familar with what is available. Thanks for any ideas.
Posted by: BDB

Re: Duet for 8th grade showcase-Middle School Audience - 01/01/13 11:38 PM

Gottschalk's arrangement of the William Tell Overture might go over well.

Chabrier's Cortege Burlesque is campy humor. I can imagine Charlie Chaplin performing to it.
Posted by: JessicaB

Re: Duet for 8th grade showcase-Middle School Audience - 01/02/13 12:33 AM

Milhaud's Scaramouche is a wonderful. Kind of rag like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK_sGig5GC4 It might be a little hard for them. There is also a great duet of Gershwin's "I've got Rhythm."

Humor tips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWae1mkLJ_Q
Posted by: BDB

Re: Duet for 8th grade showcase-Middle School Audience - 01/02/13 12:38 AM

Scaramouche is a 2-piano piece, not a duet.
Posted by: JessicaB

Re: Duet for 8th grade showcase-Middle School Audience - 01/02/13 12:55 AM

Originally Posted By: BDB
Scaramouche is a 2-piano piece, not a duet.

Right. You need two pianos. Not a duet, but it is a great piece for that level.
Posted by: Nikolas

Re: Duet for 8th grade showcase-Middle School Audience - 01/02/13 01:43 AM

I'm getting done with a couple of videos showing my new 7-movement duets (4 hands of course)... Can you hold on for an extra day or two? I can promise you that it won't disappoint anyone and it's right up that level!
Posted by: BruceD

Re: Duet for 8th grade showcase-Middle School Audience - 01/02/13 12:15 PM

The Dvorak Slavonic Dances, (two sets: Op 46, 8 dances; Op 72, 8 dances) are fun to play and some would certainly please the audience in question.

Also, check out the four-hand version of Moszkowski's Spanish Dances, Op 12. They are also fun to play and would also be appropriate for your target audience.

Regards,
Posted by: AZNpiano

Re: Duet for 8th grade showcase-Middle School Audience - 01/02/13 12:28 PM

Check out the last two volumes of the Celebrated Piano Duets by Robert Vandall.
Posted by: bennevis

Re: Duet for 8th grade showcase-Middle School Audience - 01/02/13 01:07 PM

Fauré's Dolly Suite and Debussy's Petite Suite are both melodious, charming, humorous and sweet. Even flashy occasionally. I'd think the opening piece of either would get the audience smiling benignly immediately... grin
Posted by: Kreisler

Re: Duet for 8th grade showcase-Middle School Audience - 01/02/13 01:28 PM

I wrote an arrangement of the Winnsboro Cotton Mill Blues that may be appropriate. You can see sample pages at my website if you want to check the difficulty level:

Winnsboro Duet