Michael Harrison

Posted by: Mark VC

Michael Harrison - 01/18/13 01:44 PM

Is a composer/pianist with a number of albums out, including Revelation, Time Loops, and In Flight. He apparently has this piano that can switch in and out of just intonation. I like his stuff, so took a wild shot and asked him via email where I could find sheet music - get this, it's not published but he's going to send me a copy of the score for his entire album Revelation!

I'm impressed. I don't know how many artists would do that.
Posted by: Mark_C

Re: Michael Harrison - 01/18/13 01:48 PM

Same guy as the piano dealer?
Posted by: RealPlayer

Re: Michael Harrison - 01/18/13 02:03 PM

Yes. But I'm not sure he's in the piano business any more. The business still carries his name, though.
Posted by: pianoloverus

Re: Michael Harrison - 01/18/13 04:15 PM

Here is his website which gives lots of information about him:
http://www.michaelharrison.com/

I heard an performance of one of his major works(possibly Revelation in an abbreviated version) at Faust Harrison Pianos during a PW "piano crawl" of the stores on NYC's Piano Row. He gives a lot of information about his specially adjusted pianos on his website but it's fairly difficult to understand(at least for me).
Posted by: wr

Re: Michael Harrison - 01/19/13 07:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark VC
Is a composer/pianist with a number of albums out, including Revelation, Time Loops, and In Flight. He apparently has this piano that can switch in and out of just intonation. I like his stuff, so took a wild shot and asked him via email where I could find sheet music - get this, it's not published but he's going to send me a copy of the score for his entire album Revelation!

I'm impressed. I don't know how many artists would do that.

It happens. Just a week or two ago, I read a similar anecdote. I forget who the composers were, but remember the gist of the story, which is that a budding young composer wrote an admiring letter to an older one, and, a while later, without warning, a huge bundle of scores arrived from the older one.