John Rutter's "Beatles" Piano Concerto

Posted by: Orange Soda King

John Rutter's "Beatles" Piano Concerto - 01/18/13 08:16 PM

It's actually pretty nice!! What do you think? I bet more than a few of you know of or like the Beatles. Clever and well-done, in my opinion. smile

Posted by: asthecrowflies

Re: John Rutter's "Beatles" Piano Concerto - 01/19/13 12:22 PM

i can see this being played by the boston pops on new years eve.
Posted by: pianoloverus

Re: John Rutter's "Beatles" Piano Concerto - 01/20/13 04:07 PM

The opening to the third movement seems to "borrow" passages from Gershwin Concerto in F and the third movement of Rach 3.
Posted by: Monica K.

Re: John Rutter's "Beatles" Piano Concerto - 01/20/13 05:06 PM

Very cool! I like the Beatles and I like John Rutter. Thanks for posting this. smile
Posted by: ChopinAddict

Re: John Rutter's "Beatles" Piano Concerto - 01/20/13 05:31 PM

Thanks! I have started to like the Beatles only recently, but now I really like them. smile John Rutter did a good job.
Posted by: Steve Chandler

Re: John Rutter's "Beatles" Piano Concerto - 01/20/13 05:38 PM

For us old farts who are very familiar with every Beatle song this is just delicious! Rutter did a fine job. I hear some vague resemblances to Rach and Gershwin but there's no mistaking the Beatles melodies. It certainly is a long and winding road, but also thoroughly enjoyable.
Posted by: pianoloverus

Re: John Rutter's "Beatles" Piano Concerto - 01/20/13 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Steve Chandler
For us old farts who are very familiar with every Beatle song this is just delicious! Rutter did a fine job. I hear some vague resemblances to Rach and Gershwin but there's no mistaking the Beatles melodies. It certainly is a long and winding road, but also thoroughly enjoyable.
The introduction of the third movement has passages virtually identical to ones in Gershwin's Concerto in F. It goes far beyond a resemblance to a point where I can't understand how it wouldn't be embarrassing for the composer to write that passage...it's virtually copied. Perhaps the notes mention a specific quoting of the Gershwin, but if not I find it incomprehensible.
Posted by: Orange Soda King

Re: John Rutter's "Beatles" Piano Concerto - 01/20/13 06:48 PM

I don't know for sure, but John Rutter is a pretty smart guy, so I figure he knew that, hehe smile
Posted by: davaofthekeys

Re: John Rutter's "Beatles" Piano Concerto - 01/22/13 09:14 AM

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
Originally Posted By: Steve Chandler
The introduction of the third movement has passages virtually identical to ones in Gershwin's Concerto in F. It goes far beyond a resemblance to a point where I can't understand how it wouldn't be embarrassing for the composer to write that passage...it's virtually copied. Perhaps the notes mention a specific quoting of the Gershwin, but if not I find it incomprehensible.

From Wikipedia: He (John Rutter) also entered into the fun by, for example, making sly references to other popular concertos - eg the Grieg and Chopin E minor concertos in the transition from Here, There and Everywhere to Something, in the slow movement.