Solo pieces with gorgeous romantic melodies

Posted by: daydreamer88888888

Solo pieces with gorgeous romantic melodies - 01/21/13 02:02 AM

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you could recommend a bunch solo pieces that are super romantic with beautiful singing lines and rich harmonies akin to the lyrical sections of Rachmaninoff's second concerto.

Thanks
Posted by: JoelW

Re: Solo pieces with gorgeous romantic melodies - 01/21/13 02:11 AM

I could recommend about 88888888 of them.
Posted by: Jolteon

Re: Solo pieces with gorgeous romantic melodies - 01/21/13 05:50 AM

I can think of plenty
Posted by: pianoloverus

Re: Solo pieces with gorgeous romantic melodies - 01/21/13 09:25 AM

The huge majority of the output of Chopin, Schumann, Schubert, Brahms, Liszt, Grieg, Rachmaninov, etc. will fill the bill.
If you give some indication of your present playing level it would help with any recommendations.

Re: Solo pieces with gorgeous romantic melodies - 01/21/13 09:11 PM

Thanks guys. My present playing level is I guess this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1UL0opGYKM I obviously wasn't hitting all the notes (since I don't remember all the notes and my fingers don't remember the rest of them) but it's not a piece I've been practicing recently but it should give some idea.

I'm not looking for anything very virtuosic for the sake of being showy though I don't mind if the accompaniment has many notes that sometimes comes out.

Re: Solo pieces with gorgeous romantic melodies - 01/24/13 09:38 PM

bump because I'd like more example of pieces. maybe some by Rachmaninoff. Thanks again Jolteon for your help! You're great!
Posted by: FSO

Re: Solo pieces with gorgeous romantic melodies - 01/24/13 09:53 PM

Maybe the middle section of the first movement of Alkan's Grande Sonate might appeal...I mean, the first three movements have stunningly beautiful melodies and some bottomless harmonies, but the first movement has two, very brief, intertwining lines of melody that force your heart to ache...or, um, it might...it does mine laugh
Xx
Posted by: johannus

Re: Solo pieces with gorgeous romantic melodies - 01/24/13 10:03 PM

Posted by: bennevis

Re: Solo pieces with gorgeous romantic melodies - 01/25/13 06:37 AM

Originally Posted By: daydreamer88888888
bump because I'd like more example of pieces. maybe some by Rachmaninoff. Thanks again Jolteon for your help! You're great!

If Rach is what you're after, try Prelude in D, Op.23/4 http://youtu.be/ATWU85fxD2k.
And his Moment musicaux in D flat, Op.16/5. For a real challenge, Op.16/4 in E minor.

And an early work is the Elegie Op.3/1 http://youtu.be/2Fy4kSo7Xx8. (Op.3/2 is the famous Prelude in C sharp minor).
Posted by: timmyab

Re: Solo pieces with gorgeous romantic melodies - 01/25/13 10:04 AM

Surprisingly, and for me slightly disappointingly, Rachmaninov's solo output doesn't contain many of the sort of big tunes that you find in the piano concertos and the cello sonata.The op23 preludes are probably the best place to look for them such as they are, especially the central section of op23 no5.
Posted by: BDB

Re: Solo pieces with gorgeous romantic melodies - 01/25/13 11:15 AM

You could listen to the recording of La Valse which is going on in a nearby thread. There is a lot of that lushness in Ravel's piano music.
Posted by: jeffreyjones

Re: Solo pieces with gorgeous romantic melodies - 01/25/13 12:12 PM

Originally Posted By: timmyab
Surprisingly, and for me slightly disappointingly, Rachmaninov's solo output doesn't contain many of the sort of big tunes that you find in the piano concertos and the cello sonata.The op23 preludes are probably the best place to look for them such as they are, especially the central section of op23 no5.

It's true, a lot of his solo music calls into the etude/toccata category. In many ways it's better music than the concertos, but it will never be as popular.

That said, check out these pieces, which all have the kind of melodic interest you're looking for:

Melodie Op. 3, No. 3 (the later version)
Prelude in D major, Op. 23, No. 4
Prelude in G-flat major, Op. 23, No. 10
Prelude in G major, Op. 32, No. 5 (my favorite)
Etude-Tableau in G minor, Op. 33, No. 4 (number varies by edition)