Fingering Suggestion for this Passage

Posted by: DkCHoPSUEY

Fingering Suggestion for this Passage - 01/28/13 01:04 AM

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could give any suggestions for right hand fingering on this section of the Liszt Norma Fantasy starting where it says marcato espressivo. What I do right now is 12 35 12 35 12 35 12 35 1235 1235. 12 35 12 35 12 35 12 35 1235 1235 and so on until I get to the triads. It feels weird sometimes, so I was wondering if anyone has other ideas. To give an idea of my hand size, I can reach an 10th with my thumb and pinky. Thanks in advance for any help! smile

Posted by: Mark_C

Re: Fingering Suggestion for this Passage - 01/28/13 01:26 AM

It's hard, but simple. grin

For the first couple of measures of the part you asked about, play each 'pair' with either 1-2 4-5 or 1-2 3-5. (Like, 1-2 4-5 on the first couple of pairs, 1-2 3-5 on the third pair, and likewise thereafter according to how the notes of each pair lay out.) For the 3rd and 4th measures, it's the reverse: 4-5 1-2 or 3-5 1-2.

What maybe makes it seem more complicated than it is: For the 3rd and 4th measures, it's slightly tricky to see what's a 'pair' -- i.e. how to group the notes in your hand and in your head. The first right hand 'chord' isn't part of a pair; it's by itself. The first pair begins on the next note. If you don't view it this way, you might think each pair leaps across a 10th, but it doesn't; the big leap comes between pairs, which isn't that bad.
Posted by: Derulux

Re: Fingering Suggestion for this Passage - 01/28/13 03:18 AM

I've never played this one, but it looks extremely straightforward and I think Mark hit it on the head. Play each chord the way you would as if it were a chord (and not broken), and that's almost always going to be the best way to play it as a broken chord.

Mark's advice to think of the large leaps as occurring between the chord groupings is exactly what I would have recommended in looking at this. Just be careful about doing it where notes overlap (mm3, beat 2). It can confuse your hand/brain. But for the large leaps (mm 5-6), definitely think of it that way.
Posted by: Kreisler

Re: Fingering Suggestion for this Passage - 01/28/13 12:53 PM

The fingering the OP is using shows a conspicuous lack of 4. Stop avoiding finger 4 and look for some opportunities to use it!
Posted by: DkCHoPSUEY

Re: Fingering Suggestion for this Passage - 01/29/13 02:13 AM

Thanks so much guys! This really helped! laugh