Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-)

Posted by: Mark_C

Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) - 02/03/13 06:23 PM

Alicia Keys, before the Super Bowl.

Doing the Star Spangled Banner.
With plenty of rubato grin especially between the phrases.

Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) - 02/03/13 07:22 PM

Good piano year for the Super Bowl. ha
One of the first commercials had an M&M playing a piano -- and I think it really was playing! grin

And they just had a Doritos commercial with this piece in the background:

Posted by: Morodiene

Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) - 02/03/13 09:31 PM

I think that was the slowest, saddest rendition of the star spangled banner I've ever heard. Not what I'd call inspirational!
Posted by: Bluoh

Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) - 02/03/13 09:53 PM

Oh awesome. smile

Hockey night! Although I'm not the biggest fan. wink

Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) - 02/03/13 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
I think that was the slowest, saddest rendition of the star spangled banner I've ever heard. Not what I'd call inspirational!

I liked it, although I would have liked to hear more rubato within the phrases too. ha

And actually, here's a famous old slower one, also at a sports event. I think it was the first prominent "individual" interpretation of the anthem.

Posted by: Numerian

Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) - 02/04/13 12:19 AM

My favorite recording of the SSB. By Margaret Woodrow Wilson, daughter of the president and in her own right First Lady of the United States. She campaigned actively to have the Star Spangled Banner declared the official National Anthem of the United States.

In this 1915 recording she shows off by singing the word "free" in the reprise of the second verse both on the note, and then an octave higher. This has become the standard by which singers of the National Anthem are judged and has plagued vocalists for nearly 100 years now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umH1AojTb2A
Posted by: MathGuy

Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) - 02/04/13 02:22 AM

My personal favorite, in a drastically different style: Marvin Gaye at the 1983 NBA All-Star game.

Speaking of singers at the Super Bowl, it was so moving to see and hear the chorus from Sandy Hook Elementary. Surely millions of us shared a tear in that moment.
Posted by: stores

Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) - 02/04/13 04:23 AM

I'm sorry, but that was a terrible anthem. I had to cringe a time or two, in fact. I am so often left wondering how some have made such a name for themselves while so much talent lie elsewhere unheard. Such a tragedy.
Posted by: Dave Horne

Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) - 02/04/13 05:31 AM

I think we can forgive him those two notes that should have been held just a tad longer. smile

Posted by: Orange Soda King

Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) - 02/04/13 06:55 AM

I've never particularly cared for Alicia Keys.
Posted by: debrucey

Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) - 02/04/13 08:15 AM

I like Alecia Keys.
Posted by: ando

Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) - 02/04/13 08:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King

She's a shocker.
Posted by: bennevis

Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) - 02/04/13 09:34 AM

Originally Posted By: ando

She's a shocker.

Does that mean she's a looker? wink
Posted by: WhoDwaldi

Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) - 02/06/13 05:33 PM

Nevermind.
Posted by: didyougethathing

Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) - 02/06/13 05:38 PM

Me either. Jennifer Hudson on the other hand... wow

On a related note, did anyone (that watched) notice the two pieces they blended together in one of the Coca-Cola commercials? They used the famous violin solo from Rimsky's Scheherezade, which led into the amazing part right before the ending of Saint-Saens' Bacchanale. Just thought it was neat, since I was obsessed with those two pieces as a kid.

Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) - 02/06/13 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: WhoDwaldi
Nevermind.

Nevermind what?
Posted by: Cinnamonbear

Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) - 02/06/13 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark_C

I liked it, although I would have liked to hear more rubato within the phrases too. ha

And actually, here's a famous old slower one, also at a sports event. I think it was the first prominent "individual" interpretation of the anthem.

Amazing what can happen when a few people who are in a position to force the national discourse one way or the other, actually do so (as is so often the case...). I remember 1968. It means so much more to me, now. (The concept of 15 mins. of fame has its apex, does it not? Was this Jose's apex? Loved "Light my fire," BTW. Heard it on vinyl on a HiFi, back in the day... (when it first came out).)
Posted by: Derulux

Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) - 02/06/13 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear
Originally Posted By: Mark_C

Amazing what can happen when a few people who are in a position to force the national discourse one way or the other, actually do so (as is so often the case...). I remember 1968. It means so much more to me, now. (The concept of 15 mins. of fame has its apex, does it not? Was this Jose's apex? Loved "Light my fire," BTW. Heard it on vinyl on a HiFi, back in the day...)

I think this is also an outstanding example of, "It's not just 'modern' artists who change the National Anthem."
Posted by: Cinnamonbear

Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) - 02/06/13 11:44 PM

Speaking of which, I really appreciated Lewis Black's observation here:

"I watch every Super Bowl because you see, um, I have no religion, and, uh, I think it's important for man to have a ritual, and the Super Bowl takes place on Sunday, and that's when most people gather to worship, so I, in a way, am trying... And, just before the game starts, I say, 'Thank God.'

"I really watch the Super Bowl for the half time show, because, you could go into a coma for a year, and wake up and watch the half time show, and it will tell you *ALL!* you need to know about how-- far-- down-- America-- is-- in-- the-- S.H*TTER!!!"

If you don't care whether or not you fall down the YouTube rabbit hole, then follow the links. It is a LONG mult-part rant. Very validating. Or, at least, very instructive.

http://youtu.be/1d8_4SnqA9k
Posted by: Dave Horne

Re: Yamaha grand in the middle of the football field :-) - 02/07/13 03:15 AM

... I deleted the contents of this post. I inadvertently responded to the wrong post.