Please help me identify these pieces from a movie!

Posted by: RazrV3

Please help me identify these pieces from a movie! - 02/06/13 08:54 PM

Hi everyone, I'd appreciate if you kind folk would help me identify the following pieces. They're from the movie Red Dragon (when he's eating the dinner prepared for him in the cell).

The first, is in F# minor (or may be in B minor but just modulated in this section). Probably Baroque - I thought Bach but can't recognize it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trbmk5StF4U

Second one, I have no clue. Period is probably Romantic or Impressionist from what I can tell, but I may well be wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ_ZQv6n2sY

Thank you!
Posted by: DameMyra

Re: Please help me identify these pieces from a movie! - 02/06/13 10:18 PM

The first one is Bach, the Prelude in f minor from WTC II.
Posted by: outo

Re: Please help me identify these pieces from a movie! - 02/06/13 11:51 PM

The second one is from Liszt consolation nro 3

Re: Please help me identify these pieces from a movie! - 02/07/13 02:24 AM

Thank you DameMyra, that sounds exactly like it.

outo - nice try but I don't think that's right.

I cannot find the following melodic structure from the clip in the Consolation no. 3

F# E A A B C ...arpeggios... F# A G C B E D C

Even if the movie had shifted it up by a semitone (as the Bach was), the original would be

F Eb Ab Ab Bb B ...arpeggios... F Ab Gb B Bb Eb Db B

Anyone other ideas?

Re: Please help me identify these pieces from a movie! - 02/07/13 01:10 PM

Because the score is an arrangement by Danny Elfman, it wouldn't be exactly like the original.

Re: Please help me identify these pieces from a movie! - 02/07/13 03:58 PM

outo, that second excerpt is from a scene where he is supposed to be listening to classical music. I doubt Elfman would have bothered to modify it, especially since he did not do so in other instances where the character was also supposed to be listening to classical music (e.g. for the Goldberg Variations and the WTC II F minor Prelude).

The harmonies and rhythm used are somewhat reminiscent of the Liszt and, to a lesser extent, Chopin sonatas (to me at least). Maybe Schubert or Schumann? The harmony doesn't seem weird enough to be Debussy.

Anyone else want to take a shot? Please?

Re: Please help me identify these pieces from a movie! - 02/07/13 05:08 PM

In a concert? It's been ages since I saw the movie. It must be from a piano concerto then. Don't you have a longer clip where the orchestra comes in? It sounds so familiar, just cannot put it in the right context.
Posted by: Derulux

Re: Please help me identify these pieces from a movie! - 02/07/13 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: outo
In a concert? It's been ages since I saw the movie. It must be from a piano concerto then. Don't you have a longer clip where the orchestra comes in? It sounds so familiar, just cannot put it in the right context.

That was my issue, too.. I was impressed when you pulled out the Consolation. Very close fit. smile

At the very end, I think you can hear the orchestra start to come in, but I agree that, for me, the clip is too short. I'm not the expert that some of you are in this area, but sometimes I can get lucky.
Posted by: FSO

Re: Please help me identify these pieces from a movie! - 02/07/13 06:25 PM

I've heard this before...not useful in its own right, but I've heard all of Chopin's surviving work, not much Liszt and almost no Debussy. So...if I were to take a wild shot I'd guess one of Chopin's piano concerto (assuming the orchestra isn't film score) but, um, I don't have time to confirm or deny it right now...sorry, hope I've helped...
Xxx
Posted by: DameMyra

Re: Please help me identify these pieces from a movie! - 02/07/13 06:36 PM

I think it sounds much more like Liszt than Chopin.
Posted by: FSO

Re: Please help me identify these pieces from a movie! - 02/07/13 07:19 PM

Unfortunately...so do I laugh

Re: Please help me identify these pieces from a movie! - 02/07/13 11:30 PM

I think I've got it! Something in there reminded me of the Liebestraum (the "famous" #3) but it wasn't it, so I looked through all the rest of them, and behold!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e77vHfhf8UM

Sorry, I'm just so excited to have finally found it =D

Re: Please help me identify these pieces from a movie! - 02/08/13 12:58 AM

Thanks! Because things like this tend to bug me until I figure them out. I am not a big fan of Liszt, so no surprise that I would mix up these famous works smile

I know all of Chopin's works well, but Liszt only superficially. Yet his style is somewhat recognizable...

Re: Please help me identify these pieces from a movie! - 02/09/13 02:15 AM

Apologies, there is one more excerpt I found which I originally thought was part of the F minor P&F but is not.

Here it is (watch out for a series of abrupt noises between 0:06 and 0:10). Also, I'd assume by now that the original pieces are one semitone lower than you hear in the movie. It is playing in the background so you might have to turn up the volume:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3DOXkxr95k

Almost certain it's Bach, but can't tell if it's another P&F, the fugue part of a Toccata, or maybe an invention?

Thanks again for the help!