Which program would you attend?

Posted by: Brendan

Which program would you attend? - 02/18/13 09:11 AM

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo, I've been brainstorming on what program I'd like to learn for next season, and I've come up with the following ideas. Which one sounds most appealing to you?

Program #1 (French)
Boulez: Douze Notations
Debussy: Etudes (selections)
Ravel: Gasp Hard

-intermission-

Messiaen: Regards (selections)

Program #2
Rzewski: People United

Option #3 (Dance)
Brahms: Hungarian Dances (selections)
Godowsky: Kunstlerleben
Stravinsky: Petrouchka

-intermission-

Cage: Sonatas and Interludes (selections, with dancers)

There's something I've always wanted to learn/play on each (Gaspard, the whole Rzewski in one go, and Kunstlerleben), so I'm waffling. If I could find a good transcription of Swan Lake, I'd swap Petrouchka out for that in the dance program.
Posted by: fnork

Re: Which program would you attend? - 02/18/13 09:38 AM

I'd attend all of them! Cool stuff - why don't you learn all three programs in one go? heh.
Possibly, the first program appeals the most to me - I like the combination of Debussy etudes with music by two of the fiercest proponents of that particular work, Boulez and Messiaen. Not enough familiar with the Cage/Godowsky of the last program to comment...
Posted by: Derulux

Re: Which program would you attend? - 02/18/13 09:46 AM

I'd love to hear your take on Brahms, so that's probably my #1 choice. But I think they're all solid programs.
Posted by: Mark_C

Re: Which program would you attend? - 02/18/13 11:01 AM

With the caveat that it's all trumped by rather attending whichever one you're more driven to play.....let's say 'other things being equal' it's the first program, easily.

Originally Posted By: Brendan
....If I could find a good transcription of Swan Lake, I'd swap Petrouchka out for that in the dance program.

I think swapping out Petrouchka for Mary Had a Little Lamb would be a good idea. grin
Posted by: AldenH

Re: Which program would you attend? - 02/18/13 11:05 AM

I'm not familiar with the Godowsky, so that might shift my opinion, but the first program is almost irresistible to me.
Posted by: wower

Re: Which program would you attend? - 02/18/13 11:55 AM

Great selections. I'd want to attend either in #yyc.
smile
Posted by: Thracozaag

Re: Which program would you attend? - 02/18/13 11:58 AM

All of them! (But especially Kunsterleben)
Posted by: Kuanpiano

Re: Which program would you attend? - 02/18/13 12:01 PM

How about all three? laugh Though in particular I'd love to hear the Rzewski.
Posted by: Goldberg

Re: Which program would you attend? - 02/18/13 01:30 PM

I'd see all of them! #3 stands out the most for me, though. Awesome repertoire overall, and I'd go far out of my way to see the Cage with dancers on stage.

On the other hand, they're all great programs...
Posted by: bennevis

Re: Which program would you attend? - 02/18/13 01:43 PM

I marginally prefer the first, but if you swap the Stravinsky Petrushka for Mikhail Pletnev's transcription of The Sleeping Beauty or The Nutcracker, or even Guido Agosti's transcription of Stravinsky's Firebird (http://youtu.be/NGpLDneV17A), I might prefer the third one instead....... wink
Posted by: Orange Soda King

Re: Which program would you attend? - 02/18/13 04:42 PM

All, but People United looks to be my favorite.
Posted by: FSO

Re: Which program would you attend? - 02/18/13 05:08 PM

As per Orange Soda King; some of those variations have such heartbreaking strife locked within (not that the others necessarily don't laugh ).
Posted by: Ted

Re: Which program would you attend? - 02/18/13 07:19 PM

Old comfortable habits die hard, and my first impulse was to choose the first through familiarity. But I am an improviser and these days surprise, revelation and new insight are increasingly important, practically essential to me. Therefore let's hear the Rzewski.
Posted by: daviel

Re: Which program would you attend? - 02/18/13 07:22 PM

Program #1
Posted by: currawong

Re: Which program would you attend? - 02/18/13 08:59 PM

I'd happily go to them all - but as you asked for a choice, I'd go for #3. And I'd keep Petrouchka. smile
Posted by: ChopinAddict

Re: Which program would you attend? - 02/18/13 09:22 PM

I like them all, but you started this thread because you want a choice from us, so I will go with #1.
Posted by: BruceD

Re: Which program would you attend? - 02/18/13 09:24 PM

I will go to the first part of Program #1, and the first part of Option #3. (Why is it Option #3 and not Program #3? What am I not seeing?)

Thank you!

Re: Which program would you attend? - 02/18/13 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: BruceD
(Why is it Option #3 and not Program #3? What am I not seeing?)

I wondered too, including whether the shift was intentional or just an oversight.

If "intentional" is the answer, I figured it meant that 1 and 2 were your main thoughts and 3 was only if everybody said they hated 1 & 2. grin
Posted by: didyougethathing

Re: Which program would you attend? - 02/18/13 09:33 PM

I will go to the first part of Program #1, and the first part of Option #3. (Why is it Option #3 and not Program #3? What am I not seeing?)

Thank you!

I'm going to echo your choice, and also add that if you're looking to throw some Godowsky in, his Java Suite is also quite fantastic and severely underplayed. Perhaps in a varied program you would do several selections since it's about an hour in total.
Posted by: Damon

Re: Which program would you attend? - 02/18/13 09:47 PM

Option 3 is most appealing to me. 1 is least.
Posted by: Ridicolosamente

Re: Which program would you attend? - 02/18/13 09:59 PM

#1 especially if you choose to end with #10.

Don't get me wrong I would love all 3, but the Brahms and Stravinsky seem a bit "meh" compared to the other selections; and "meh" is of course relative!!

-Daniel
Posted by: Cinnamonbear

Re: Which program would you attend? - 02/18/13 10:01 PM

Oddly enough, I'm with Mark_C on this one. Program #1 sounds very appealing. But, were I in the area, I'd come to any of those programs to listen and enjoy the sounds. Definitely! smile

Aside: program 1 seems very... ...conventional... ...in its own way, even though it would be an unconventional and sensitive grouping of material.

Where is RealPlayer when you need him?

Of course, the real question is: "Which program is in your heart to play?"

--Andy

P.S. Just realized I was with Mark_C on the "real question," too!

Re: Which program would you attend? - 02/18/13 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear
Oddly enough....

Hey, I don't see what's so odd.... ha
Posted by: MarkH

Re: Which program would you attend? - 02/18/13 11:02 PM

They're all good ones, but People United would be a pretty amazing thing to see live!
Posted by: Brendan

Re: Which program would you attend? - 02/18/13 11:09 PM

Thank you!

Typo!

Thanks for the input so far. I sat down and reacquainted myself with Petrouchka today and spent most of the time wondering how I did it in the first place (ugh). As of now, I'm leaning towards the Rzewski since that might have the most mass-market appeal. Stephen Drury does it on the same programs the Hammerklavier Sonata. DON'T THINK I'LL BE TRYING THAT ANY TIME SOON...
Posted by: Cinnamonbear

Re: Which program would you attend? - 02/18/13 11:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Oddly enough....

Hey, I don't see what's so odd.... ha

Well, if I had said, "Oddly enough, I'm with BruceD on this one," that would have been odd, because BruceD and I never spar.

But I will grant you that it is not odd to think program 1 is a keeper, because it is (a keeper).

grin ?
Posted by: DanS

Re: Which program would you attend? - 02/18/13 11:49 PM

Definitely like program 1 the best, but I'm a Deb/Rav junkie.

Re: Which program would you attend? - 02/19/13 12:11 AM

? grin

Absolutely! grin
Posted by: theJourney

Re: Which program would you attend? - 02/19/13 02:51 AM

Program #2. Contemporary American composers have down some amazing things and we need to support them and further build an audience. I attended an excellent concert of Rzewski's People United played by Ralph van Raat and will never forget the experience! Pass it on.