Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano?

Posted by: adak

Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/01/13 12:09 PM

I am a beginner and if I get a tuning fork will it help improve my hearing? I was thinking of buying a 440 hz tuning fork. Is this a good idea?
Posted by: BDB

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/01/13 12:21 PM

No, but it will help you determine how badly your piano is out of tune. You might be able to find a 440 signal on the internet, so if you have a device that can play that you could compare it with your piano.

Having a well-tuned piano will help your hearing.
Posted by: bennevis

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/01/13 12:43 PM

You already have a digital that never goes out of tune, and its A = 440Hz, like all A's in digitals. There is no point getting a tuning fork - just play that A whenever you want to know what it sounds like.

This is not necessarily true in acoustics, depending on how they have been tuned, or whether they are actually in tune.
Posted by: landorrano

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/01/13 12:48 PM

A pitch fork will give better results!

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/01/13 12:52 PM

There is no guarantee that a digital is ever in tune, let alone that it will never go out of tune. Some manufacturers have a lot more tolerance in their tunings than I do.

But A-440 is likely to be in tune, because that is the reference point most people use. But there can be problems with that, too.
Posted by: bennevis

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/01/13 12:56 PM

Originally Posted By: BDB
There is no guarantee that a digital is ever in tune, let alone that it will never go out of tune. Some manufacturers have a lot more tolerance in their tunings than I do.

But A-440 is likely to be in tune, because that is the reference point most people use. But there can be problems with that, too.

I have an electronic tuner that gives me any pitch I want, and I sometimes check up on my Roland V-Piano to make sure it hasn't inadvertently gone out of tune. Unless I've dialled in an unequal temperament, it usually comes up to scratch.

No, make that always. grin

Unlike my voice...... cry
Posted by: Mark_C

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/01/13 01:08 PM

Nobody asked you, HOW are you thinking it could help....

Some people are sort of assuming. But I don't think we have any idea.
Posted by: Dave Horne

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/01/13 01:12 PM

If you want to improve your musical ears, listen to the a recording and then transcribe that information to paper.

I have the suspicion though you might have troll genes in your DNA.
Posted by: BruceD

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/01/13 01:22 PM

Originally Posted By: adak
I am a beginner and if I get a tuning fork will it help improve my hearing? I was thinking of buying a 440 hz tuning fork. Is this a good idea?

I wonder if this is a legitimate question. A little common sense should answer it without having to post the question.

How do you suppose that buying a tuning fork will help you "better learn piano"? A tuning fork will give you one pitch. How will that help you learn ... anything, except what that particular pitch sounds like?

Regards,
Posted by: JoelW

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/01/13 01:32 PM

Originally Posted By: BruceD

I wonder if this is a legitimate question. A little common sense should answer it without having to post the question.

How do you suppose that buying a tuning fork will help you "better learn piano"? A tuning fork will give you one pitch. How will that help you learn ... anything, except what that particular pitch sounds like?

Regards,

Haha
Posted by: LoPresti

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/01/13 01:51 PM

Originally Posted By: landorrano

landorrano,

You are killing me again!

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Nobody asked you, HOW are you thinking it could help....

Assuming for a second that the question was asked "in good faith", then I am with Mark here. Let us not overlook the fact that relative (perfect) pitch can be developed, and that a tuning fork is an excellent tool for this because it is portable AND accurate.

Now, it would be nice to see some clarifying response from adak.
Ed

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/01/13 01:53 PM

BTW, by most definitions, "perfect" and "relative" pitch are very different. Also I don't think a tuning fork would particularly help develop either one, but who knows, I've never seen it tried.

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/01/13 02:35 PM

So would I need a differently pitched tuning fork for every 88 key on the piano? Would that not get too expensive?

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/01/13 02:39 PM

So would I need a differently pitched tuning fork for every 88 key on the piano?.....

FOR WHAT?

You're still not saying exactly what you think it would be good for, but I think we're getting pretty close to being able to say.....

No, this wouldn't do anything for you, and whatever it might do would be accomplished better in other ways.
Posted by: Vid

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/01/13 02:58 PM

I don't think they make tuning forks for every pitch on a piano! If someone did manufacture something like that I'm sure they would go out of business.

Its only a tool to determine if a pitch is in tune (with the tuning fork pitch). That is all. People use them to tune their instruments or voice. In particular for piano you could use it to determine if your A440 is in tune with A440. If its not then what?

Do you have aspirations to become a piano tuner?

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/01/13 03:02 PM

If you are interested in the subject, I suggest that you read up on intonation and tuning.

There are sets of tuning forks that will give you all the chromatic notes of the octave, usually between middle C and the C above it. Those sets are called tonometers.

There are some neat things you can do with a tuning fork. For instance, you can hold one to your ear and rotate it to learn about how phase difference works. You can hold one to your open mouth and open it wider or narrower to learn about resonance. You can get another one at a nearby pitch (like one at 440 and another at 435) to learn about beats.

But none of this is necessary to play a piano. It might help you with singing, though.
Posted by: Hakki

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/01/13 03:05 PM

If, what you want is, to be able to determine the key of a piece that you listen to, and later on play that piece by ear, then it can be somewhat helpful.

But for that case, I would buy something electronic, that can produce a continuous pitch sound. And those devices produce any pitch that you adjust them. So you can match the key of the piece you are listening to more easily.

OTOH, the sound of a classical metal tuning fork is very low, single pitch, and it does not sustain for long.

Also there are lots of software tools on the internet for training the ear.
Posted by: Orange Soda King

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/01/13 03:21 PM

A tuning fork is a useful tool to have, but I don't see how it would help one's piano playing...

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/01/13 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King
A tuning fork is a useful tool to have, but I don't see how it would help one's piano playing...

I used one when I was going around getting doodads to maybe build a "Hardart," to see what pitch each thing put out. grin

(Would have posted a recording but, would y'all believe, there doesn't seem to be any posting of Concerto for Horn and Hardart on youtube.)

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/01/13 03:32 PM

I can throw a baseball really well. Do I have perfect-pitch?
Posted by: Old Man

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/01/13 03:44 PM

OK, maybe this question was "legitimate" and "in good faith".

But c'mon guys, doesn't this one pretty much tell you all you need to know?
So would I need a differently pitched tuning fork for every 88 key on the piano? Would that not get too expensive?

This is one very serious crowd. laugh

Except for landorrano. Whose outstanding suggestion about a pitchfork can now be expanded to 88 pitchforks. Once painted in black and white, matched to the standard keyboard, and meticulously arranged around the perimeter of one's living room, these forks could serve as a wonderful conversation piece.

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/01/13 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: JoelW
I can throw a baseball really well....

So why are you wasting your time on piano? ha

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/01/13 04:14 PM

Yes adak, that is exactly what you would need.

Do you have any other insightful questions to ask? You have many talented folks here who are spending their valuable time answering your questions.

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/01/13 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Horne

Yes adak, that is exactly what you would need.

Do you have any other insightful questions to ask? You have many talented folks here who are spending their valuable time answering your questions.

I am sure other questions will come up, afterall I recently did buy a new piano. Casio all the way!

Seeing you are a piano veteran, do you have any advice for a new piano player like myself?

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/01/13 05:22 PM

Seeing you are a piano veteran, do you have any advice for a new piano player like myself?

Get a teacher.
Posted by: landorrano

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/01/13 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Horne

Get a teacher.

Great idea from a VFP. Estupendo! But Adak, have you ever thought of getting a tuning fork?

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/01/13 05:28 PM

I would love to but I cannot afford one due to my limited financial resources, what is the next best alternative?
Posted by: Vid

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/01/13 05:45 PM

A teacher is not an adequate replacement for a tuning fork.
Posted by: Bobpickle

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/01/13 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Vid

I think I read this the other day in a fortune cookie.
Posted by: Morodiene

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/01/13 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Vid

Unless they have perfect pitch.
Posted by: Damon

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/01/13 11:35 PM

I was thinking of buying a 440 hz tuning fork. Is this a good idea?

Do you smell the blood of Christians?
Posted by: theJourney

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/02/13 02:34 AM

Originally Posted By: landorrano

Actually a fork-shaped divining rod would be preferable. Dowsing for musicality. If it doesn't help at least you have something to drink after practice.
Posted by: btb

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/02/13 03:33 AM

2 March 2013
Tuning piano

My Grotrian Steinweg piano carries 3 strings per keynote ... In time some of the strings need tuning ... had any of you chaps tried twanging the strings on an edgy note ... often it just takes a slight tweak of one of the strings to match the other two good strings.

Just an observation which might be of interest.

PS This comment will not improve the OP's playing
but it might stop the dog from howling.
Posted by: chrisbell

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/02/13 05:24 AM

Originally Posted By: btb
. . . but it might stop the dog from howling.
Yeah, let's stop this wolf from howling smile
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_tone
Posted by: Exalted Wombat

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/02/13 05:47 AM

Originally Posted By: btb
My Grotrian Steinweg piano carries 3 strings per keynote ... In time some of the strings need tuning ... had any of you chaps tried twanging the strings on an edgy note ... often it just takes a slight tweak of one of the strings to match the other two good strings.

Be careful though. Tweaking a string into tune is easy. But doing it so it STAYS in tune isn't. And too much inexpert manipulation of a tuning pin can loosen it.
Posted by: pianokeys135

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/02/13 05:02 PM

I have a tuning fork on the table near my piano. Someone gave it to me a while back. I think it's kind of cool. Every once in a while I pick it up and tap it on the table, which is kind of fun to do. laugh I haven't really used it for much else.
Posted by: Charles Cohen

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/03/13 02:32 AM

If you have a smartphone (Android or iPhone), you can get "tuner" apps that will do far more good than any tuning fork.

For the Android phones, "DA Tuner" is very good.

You can sing into it, and it'll tell you what pitch you're singing. You can also use it to play notes back to you.

"Perfect Piano" is another worthwhile app.

And for ear training (which you might need), "Perfect Ear" is a good bet.

. Charles

PS -- I recently got my A-440 tuning fork out of the drawer. It's easier than starting up the phone app, if _all_ I want to do is try and match its pitch with my voice.
Posted by: btb

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/03/13 02:40 AM

I now use my tuning fork to stop papers from flying about atop my upright piano ... if I'm smart I do this
before opening the sliding doors on both sides of my
living room.

"The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain" ...
where "hurricanes hardly ever 'appen" (oops)
Posted by: wdot

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/05/13 10:40 AM

Originally Posted By: JoelW
I can throw a baseball really well. Do I have perfect-pitch?
I can't and I do. So I don't think the two are necessarily related.

You're a clever guy.
Posted by: Steve Chandler

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/05/13 01:33 PM

Buying a tuning fork will make you a better pianist the same way that buying a new fork will make you better at eating. Unless, it's tunerfish.
Posted by: LoPresti

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/05/13 01:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Steve Chandler

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/06/13 03:53 AM

Tuning fork not only makes your piano sound better, it also helps keep your piano in good condition so that it may be playable for many years to come.
Posted by: Exalted Wombat

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/06/13 05:07 AM

Buying a tuning fork will make you a better pianist the same way that buying a new fork will make you better at eating. Unless, it's tunerfish.

Glib, but inaccurate! A fork is a tool for eating. A tuning fork is not a tool for piano playing.

Re: Will buying a tuning fork help me better learn piano? - 03/06/13 10:56 AM

lol