Suggestion on conservatory.

Posted by: VictorHavisTales

Suggestion on conservatory. - 05/08/13 04:47 AM

Hello! I'm a new member, so apologize me if I do something wrong.

I've decided to attend conservatory, specifically in Germany, Austria and other german-speaking countries. The reason I choose those countries are that I've already learnt German and they are good places to study classical music. The problem is there is a great number of conservatories in Germany and Austria. I've been looking through some places, but all of them seem interesting! Any suggestions? (I don't have any favorite professor in my mind.)

Thank you very much.
Posted by: patH

Re: Suggestion on conservatory. - 05/08/13 05:43 AM

Hi and welcome.

I live in Germany, and tried to pass tests at conservatories to become a schoolteacher. I passed two, but not good enough to attend.
But in the process, I found several criteria that might help your choice.

1) Entry test expectations.
Some conservatories ask for a second instrument; some ask for a very specific repertoire in your first instrument. I assume you want to study piano; and I know that e.g. the conservatory in Freiburg in Breisgau asks for two etudes; one of them by Chopin.
So: Find out what is expected. I recommend applying at more than one conservatory. If you have a bad day on exam day at conservatory A, you still have a chance to pass at conservatory B.
2) Location.
Some places are cheaper than others to live; but maybe you like the scenery of certain places. Do you want a big city or a small town? Do you like mountains? The possibility to visit France on weekends? Up to you.
3) Admission of foreigners. (EDIT: This is not from personal experience; I just thought about it)
I don't know if conservatories have policies about only admitting a limited number of non-EU residents. If you are from the EU, there shouldn't be a problem. If you're not, find out.

Hope this helps.
Posted by: VictorHavisTales

Re: Suggestion on conservatory. - 05/08/13 10:08 PM

Thank you so much for the helpful information.
I'm interested in :- Mozarteum Universität, Salzburg/ Hochschule für Musik Hanns Eisler, Berlin/ Hochschule für Musik Franz Liszt, Weimar
Please tell me which one is the most difficult for audition. Or would you mind recommending me other conservatories?

Thank you.
Posted by: Varcon

Re: Suggestion on conservatory. - 05/09/13 11:26 AM

When I wanted to study in Europe I wrote to a number of them and got the information directly from them. Why not look them up on the internet, get their address/email and write them for what is needed and what to expect.

Ralph