Best way to practice Chopin etude op 25 no 2

Posted by: rov

Best way to practice Chopin etude op 25 no 2 - 06/16/13 08:04 PM

Whats the best way to practice a difficult piece like this etude to get it up to real tempo?, slow practice?, rhythms?
Posted by: DanS

Re: Best way to practice Chopin etude op 25 no 2 - 06/17/13 12:20 AM

I think doing 16th/dotted quarter, and the reverse is helpful for this one. Also, try ghosting the RH (playing on top of the keys without pushing them down) over the LH on this one. That's really helpful for getting it light.

Good luck, it's really a fun piece!
Posted by: Hakki

Re: Best way to practice Chopin etude op 25 no 2 - 06/17/13 10:38 AM

Originally Posted By: rov
...practice a difficult piece like this etude...


You should not attempt this etude if you think it is difficult.
Posted by: DanS

Re: Best way to practice Chopin etude op 25 no 2 - 06/17/13 11:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Hakki
Originally Posted By: rov
...practice a difficult piece like this etude...


You should not attempt this etude if you think it is difficult.


yep, your best bet is to just go through life without ever challenging yourself.

Remember, trying is the first step towards failure! wink
Posted by: Hakki

Re: Best way to practice Chopin etude op 25 no 2 - 06/17/13 11:20 AM

Originally Posted By: DanS
Originally Posted By: Hakki
Originally Posted By: rov
...practice a difficult piece like this etude...


You should not attempt this etude if you think it is difficult.


yep, your best bet is to just go through life without ever challenging yourself.

Remember, trying is the first step towards failure! wink


I am challenging you to lift twice the weight you think you remember lifting. Give it a try.
But remember I will not be responsible for you back pain.
Posted by: Gerard12

Re: Best way to practice Chopin etude op 25 no 2 - 06/17/13 12:31 PM

I think that you should seek out the Alfred Cortot edition of the etudes. In it, You'll find a wealth of practical practice tips for each study. Some of the tips are a bit Pischna-like, which may be harmful or tension-inducing if done without teacher supervision, IMO......(not to mention that there's a couple of instances of textual infidelity in the score itself.....)

The English version was recently re-published by Salabert (distributed in the US by Hal Leonard) - which may render all those pdf copies floating around on the internet super illegal, I don't know. If money's an object, then try the library.
Posted by: jazzyprof

Re: Best way to practice Chopin etude op 25 no 2 - 06/17/13 01:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Hakki
Originally Posted By: rov
...practice a difficult piece like this etude...


You should not attempt this etude if you think it is difficult.

Every piece I attempt is difficult. By the time I've learnt it, it's easy.
Posted by: Hakki

Re: Best way to practice Chopin etude op 25 no 2 - 06/17/13 01:16 PM

Originally Posted By: jazzyprof
Originally Posted By: Hakki
Originally Posted By: rov
...practice a difficult piece like this etude...


You should not attempt this etude if you think it is difficult.

Every piece I attempt is difficult. By the time I've learnt it, it's easy.


Leaving the semantics aside, in fact what I mean is quite clear.
Let me try to guide the OP in the right way that I know and believe:

Rov:

IMO, If you are not able to play it at a reasonable pace, say at 2/3 of the indicated tempo, after practicing it slowly for 2 or 3 days, then just leave it for now. IMO, It is not practical to gain technique by trying to play pieces that are much advanced than one's current level.
Posted by: pianoloverus

Re: Best way to practice Chopin etude op 25 no 2 - 06/17/13 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Hakki
Originally Posted By: jazzyprof
Originally Posted By: Hakki
Originally Posted By: rov
...practice a difficult piece like this etude...


You should not attempt this etude if you think it is difficult.

Every piece I attempt is difficult. By the time I've learnt it, it's easy.


Leaving the semantics aside, in fact what I mean is quite clear.
Let me try to guide the OP in the right way that I know and believe:

Rov:

IMO, If you are not able to play it at a reasonable pace, say at 2/3 of the indicated tempo, after practicing it slowly for 2 or 3 days, then just leave it for now. IMO, It is not practical to gain technique by trying to play pieces that are much advanced than one's current level.
You seem to be assuming that the OP is learning this to gain technique which may not be the case. Many pianists can't learn to play a piece at 2/3 speed in two days(you don't even say how much practice per day).

IMO your first remark "Do not attempt to learn this if you think it is difficult" is silly(as has been pointed out several times already)and rather condescending.
Posted by: wower

Re: Best way to practice Chopin etude op 25 no 2 - 06/17/13 02:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Hakki
You should not attempt this etude if you think it is difficult.


Thank you for clarifying Hakki. I see others picked up on the same point. I would still be playing Bach's Notebook for Anna Magdalena if I never took on new challenges. Heck, if one took your quote to heart, I probably wouldn't even get out of bed in the morning. Choosing pieces which are hard enough to challenge and build new skills, but not so difficult as to discourage continued effort, are one of the most helpful things a teacher can do IMO.
Posted by: BruceD

Re: Best way to practice Chopin etude op 25 no 2 - 06/17/13 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Hakki
[...]
You should not attempt this etude if you think it is difficult.


I would agree with this statement if it were modified to read : "You should not attempt this etude if you think it is too difficult."

Regards,
Posted by: BDB

Re: Best way to practice Chopin etude op 25 no 2 - 06/17/13 03:46 PM

I think that there is only a certain percentage of a piece that should present difficulties. If you can play 90% of it fairly easily, and have difficulties with the other 10%, that 10% will give you enough challenge to advance, while the other 90% will encourage you to keep going. Other people may have other percentages, and you need to find what works for you.
Posted by: Hakki

Re: Best way to practice Chopin etude op 25 no 2 - 06/17/13 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: BruceD
Originally Posted By: Hakki
[...]
You should not attempt this etude if you think it is difficult.


I would agree with this statement if it were modified to read : "You should not attempt this etude if you think it is too difficult."

Regards,


Yes.
As I said before, the degree of difficulty is IMO a debate on semantics but I made it clear that my original intend was similar to what you have mentioned.

OTOH, this is considered as one of the "easier" Chopin etudes.

Though, it is for him to decide: