Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube

Posted by: Orange Soda King

Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 08/21/13 04:57 PM

I posted a thread a year or two ago about the pianist Lee Luvisi, and it didn't stir up much activity, but he was a tremendous pianist (the youngest person to ever teach at Curtis... 19 years old whenever Rudolf Serkin and Efrem Zimbalist Sr. invited him to become a primary piano faculty), and has many recordings of live recitals that he gave.

However, they were stored away in his home, as well as two music libraries: University of Louisville, and University of Maryland. He's become good friends with my teacher, and I've turned pages for him before. After being urged by some of his close friends, he called me and asked me if I would be willing to share some of his live recordings onto YouTube.

I already shared a recital of Beethoven's Op. 109, 110, and 111 a while back, and here is a brand new one (another all-Beethoven recital): the little heard Fantasy, Op. 77; Sonata in F-sharp Major, Op. 78; and Variations on a Waltz by Diabelli. Recorded live in concert at the University of Louisville in 1993.

Posted by: Thracozaag

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 08/21/13 05:18 PM

This is wonderful news, have always been a great admirer of his playing and it's great to see that more people will now be exposed to his artistry.
Posted by: pianoloverus

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 08/21/13 06:01 PM

I don't know his playing at all but he must be quite incredible if he was invited to teach at Curtis at such a young age.

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 08/21/13 06:57 PM

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
I don't know his playing at all but he must be quite incredible if he was invited to teach at Curtis at such a young age.

I don't think he taught there for a long time, because he moved back to Louisville, KY (his hometown) and began teaching at the University of Louisville sometime in the 60's until 2001.

He didn't enter many competitions, though he did get third place at the Queen Elizabeth Competition in Brussels in 1960. He had a very good performing career (got to regularly perform chamber music as an Artist Member of the Lincoln Center Chamber Music Society with some of the best 20th century string players to exist, as well as concertos with many major orchestras/conductors, such as Bernstein and Ormandy), but never got a recording contract, although there are a couple commercial recordings out there (Brahms cello sonatas/Schumann Fantasiestucke for piano/cello), and some German art songs with a wonderful soprano Jan DeGaetani.
Posted by: fnork

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 08/21/13 06:58 PM

I'm listening to op. 78 now, which I'm actually re-studying at the moment, and it's absolutely gorgeous playing! Simple, charming, he lets the music speak for itself without making things too complicated. Lovely interpretation!

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 08/22/13 11:54 AM

I'm hoping tomorrow to get another recital or two uploaded. There is one with Schubert's Moments Musicaux and Schumann's Carnival that is quite good.
Posted by: carey

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 08/22/13 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King
I'm hoping tomorrow to get another recital or two uploaded. There is one with Schubert's Moments Musicaux and Schumann's Carnival that is quite good.

Thanks so much for making the effort to do this. Mr. Luvisi deserves to be heard by a larger audience. thumb
Posted by: woodog

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 08/22/13 04:58 PM

As an ten year old child, Lee Luvisi was the pianist at the first classical piano concert I heard in Camden, SC.

This would have been 1968.

I have a recording of his of the last 3 Beethoven sonatas. Good stuff.

Forrest
Posted by: Emanuel Ravelli

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 08/22/13 09:31 PM

I'm familiar with Luvisi's name, but have never heard him play until I clicked on your first link. Listened all the way through op. 109, my favorite Beethoven sonata. Marvelous! He gets a beautiful sound, shapes phrases elegantly, and has all the technical equipment to play the most challenging parts of this work and make them sound easy and natural. Please keep posting.

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 08/23/13 03:53 PM

I will be creating a new channel for this project, so within a week or so, I will delete the two videos from my channel and re-upload them to the new channel, along with the next one in line to be uploaded. This way, I can also grant access of the channel to my teacher, and once I leave the Louisville area (whenever that is), somebody else can take over and manage it.
Posted by: Eduard Hanslick

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 08/23/13 04:30 PM

I'm not familiar with him, but I will make it over there and watch some of the videos. Looking forward to it.
Posted by: Dwscamel

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 08/23/13 06:15 PM

I hadn't heard of Lee Luvisi before, but I absolutely love op.111, so I'll listen to that soon. For now, I'm listening to the Fantasy you posted, and his playing has a remarkably charming, musical, natural quality. He makes it seem so easy, and I'm usually not super-engaged by Beethoven.

Thanks for sharing, OSK.

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 09/02/13 05:38 PM

Next two installments! Due to some slight roadblocks, this is not YouTube, but Box.com. This is only temporary, and they will be re-worked to YouTube within the week, but I want to start sharing now. May even do one more installment tonight. smile

Installment 3:

From a recording session in Louisville, KY in 1978. This is not a live recital, but to my knowledge, these are single-takes.

Schubert: Moments Musicaux, D. 780 (Op. 94)
Schumann: Carnival, Op. 9

Installment 4:

Live recital from the University of Louisville School of Music, September 8, 1985.

All Schubert:
-4 Impromptus, D. 935 (Op. 142)
No. 1: F Minor
No. 2: A-Flat Major
No. 3: B-Flat Major
No. 4: F Minor

- Sonata in B-Flat Major, D. 960
I. Molto moderato
II. Adagio
III. Menuetto: Allegro - Trio
IV. Allegro

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 09/02/13 06:32 PM

Let me go ahead and add a lot more, since this current process is very fast. smile

Installment 5: All-Mozart recital:
Click to reveal..

https://app.box.com/s/f6wlbqkb1fkf2uxom993
Recorded LIVE at University of Louisville School of Music, 1991

Installment 6: Variations recital:
Click to reveal..

https://app.box.com/s/ozs9ciaemptysjucrzka
Beethoven: November 20, 2000
Mendelssohn: September 7, 1997
Brahms: October 28, 1983

Installment 7: Schubert Op. 142, D. 960:
Click to reveal..

https://app.box.com/s/i8l9k23nzfq9rpf34nal
Recorded LIVE from University of Louisville School of Music on September 8, 1985

Installment 8: Schumann Fantasy, Schubert D. 959:
Click to reveal..

https://app.box.com/s/pwoeczm6wdeewa67pr2i
Recorded LIVE from University of Louisville School of Music on September 13, 1992

Installment 9 Galuppi Sonata, Schubert D. 894, Chopin Fantasy in F Minor, Op. 49:
Click to reveal..

https://app.box.com/s/1u37rjmpdohn8zkmffud
Recorded LIVE from Ballard High School School of Fine Arts Center, Louisville, KY on September 8, 2003

Get a whiff of THIS and tell me what you think! smile Remember these are live recitals
Posted by: Pogorelich.

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 09/02/13 11:14 PM

FINALLY someone who plays the CORRECT RHYTHMS in the opening of 109...... Jesus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a great, great recording!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 09/02/13 11:21 PM

Also, perfect tempo for the 3rd movement theme!!!!!!!
Posted by: D. S. F.

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 09/03/13 02:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.
FINALLY someone who plays the CORRECT RHYTHMS in the opening of 109...... Jesus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, yes the image of the invisible God who is before all things, through whom and for whom all things have been created and in whom all things consist, hold together, endure...visible and invisible, from the furthest stretch of the heavens down to the very little things which make up that piano, not to mention the sound waves emanating from it, or better yet your ears which hear it, your eyes that read this, and you conscience which feels it...

I'd think he can comprehend a simple rhythm.
Posted by: Michael Sayers

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 09/03/13 02:59 AM

I very much enjoyed the Schumann Fantasy Op. 17 even from the very beginning in the opening bars where he kept the l.h. inobtrusive.

Thanks for making these recordings available!

p.s. - my favourite recording of the Schumann Fantasy though still is that live WWII era Gieseking radio broadcast.

M.

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 09/03/13 10:01 AM

I am glad you all enjoyed. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the Schumann Fantasy, and need to continue doing so, for I am not familiar with it.

His playing continues to astound me; Pogorelich, his Beethoven is among the very best!! No exaggeration!
Posted by: Michael Sayers

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 09/03/13 11:04 AM

I am glad you all enjoyed. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the Schumann Fantasy, and need to continue doing so, for I am not familiar with it.

His playing continues to astound me; Pogorelich, his Beethoven is among the very best!! No exaggeration!

It seems there is no Liszt or Alkan recorded by him . . .

M.

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 09/03/13 11:43 AM

Originally Posted By: D. S. F.

Well, yes the image of the invisible God who is before all things, through whom and for whom all things have been created and in whom all things consist, hold together, endure...visible and invisible, from the furthest stretch of the heavens down to the very little things which make up that piano, not to mention the sound waves emanating from it, or better yet your ears which hear it, your eyes that read this, and you conscience which feels it...

I'd think he can comprehend a simple rhythm.

Surprisingly, it seems to be a challenge for most people who play this piece wink And there are all sorts of arguments and disagreements about some rhythms in 109.
Posted by: beet31425

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 09/03/13 11:45 AM

Surprisingly, it seems to be a challenge for most people who play this piece wink And there are all sorts of arguments and disagreements about some rhythms in 109.

Can you elaborate? How are the rhythms usually played wrongly? And which rhythms have generated disagreements?

-J

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 09/03/13 11:49 AM

I don't have the score with me at the moment but one particular passage jumps at me - the scale at the end of the first "improvisational" section.

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 09/06/13 12:03 PM

Schubert Moments Musicaux and Schumann Carnival now on YouTube!!

Note the new account. This account will continue to be managed by U of Louisville piano students when I graduate in the future.

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 09/06/13 02:42 PM

And here is an all-Mozart recital! Suite in C Major, Variations in F, Minuet in D, Gigue in G, German Dances, and Fantasy + Sonata in C minor! Hope you enjoy. May get another one today!

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 09/06/13 06:45 PM

And finally, two more: Schumann Fantasy and Schubert D. 959, and Galuppi, Schubert D. 894, and Chopin's Fantasy in F Minor.

Posted by: argerichfan

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 09/07/13 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Thracozaag
This is wonderful news, have always been a great admirer of his playing and it's great to see that more people will now be exposed to his artistry.

I had never heard of him before, but these performances have been a real treat for me.

This morning my local classical station played the Op 109 with Paul Lewis. It was incredible, and I wasn't able to do much else except sit and listen. So it was with some trepidation that I approached Luvisi's Op 109 this afternoon. (I mean, more than one Op 109 per day verges on Spiritual overload.)

But I must say, Beethoven's softly caressing lightning can strike twice in one day. I am very grateful to have heard this.

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 09/07/13 07:33 PM

Thanks for the comment, Jason!

Here are two more that have made it from Box to YouTube: All-Schubert recital (Op. 142 Impromptus, D. 960 Sonata) and an all-variations compilation from various recitals (Beethoven Eroica, Mendelssohn Op. 54, Brahms-Handel).

I hope you all enjoy. The Schubert is especially other-worldly. smile

Posted by: Kuanpiano

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 09/09/13 11:02 PM

That was an INCREDIBLE op. 109, and I really enjoyed the Mendelssohn Songs without Words and the Schumann Fantasie. So many amazing (live!) recordings! Very beautiful, honest, music-making.

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 09/10/13 10:31 AM

Thanks, Kuan! I got a few more to share before I've exhausted what he gave me (I may ask and see if he may want to pick out some more, hehe).
Posted by: Polyphonist

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 09/10/13 04:32 PM

I'm listening to the Chopin Fantasy right now. It's kind of nice, but it doesn't move me like some performances of this work have. He often loses the thread of the piece, and I wish it were phrased better.

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 09/10/13 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
I'm listening to the Chopin Fantasy right now. It's kind of nice, but it doesn't move me like some performances of this work have. He often loses the thread of the piece, and I wish it were phrased better.

Based on your comments I just listened to the Fantasy as well.

The playing is very clean, but too "controlled" (restrained?)for my taste and ponderous at times. The first statement of the "March" section left me cold (what was he thinking??), and the notorious RH/LH octaves were way too slow. In general the performance lacked momentum and excitement. On the plus side, however, I thought Luvisi did a beautiful job of voicing in the slow middle section. Of course, all of the audible "hacking" in the audience probably didn't help his concentration. grin

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 09/10/13 05:23 PM

Yes. I was generous. The section at 5:04, especially, is total garbage not very good.

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 09/10/13 05:39 PM

Yes. I was generous. The section at 5:04, especially, is garbage not very good.

Yup - that's exactly where he lost me. smile

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 09/10/13 07:43 PM

Yes. I was generous. The section at 5:04, especially, is total garbage not very good.

5:04? That would be during the Galuppi, wouldn't it?

Thanks for listening and sharing your opinion (and you too, carey). The Fantasy actually wasn't my favorite of the performances I've been posting (though, it's also not one of my favorite pieces), but I did really like the Schubert before it. wink

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 09/10/13 09:09 PM

5:04? That would be during the Galuppi, wouldn't it?

5:04 in the Chopin.

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 09/14/13 08:45 PM

"A Personal Selection"

This is a 2-disc set he wanted compiled with some of his favorite performances from various recitals.

Track listing and times:
Click to reveal..

Volume 1:
1. Scarlatti: Sonata in B-Flat Major, K. 550 (Beginning)
2. Scarlatti: Sonata in B-Flat Major, K. 551 (5:16)
3. Haydn: Sonata in E Major, Hob. XVI, No. 22 (9:13)
4. Schubert: Eight Laendler, Op. 171 (23.06)
5. Beethoven: Piano Sonata in E Minor, Op. 90 (31:17)
6. Mendelssohn: Three Songs Without Words (19/5, 85/4, 102/5) (45:04)
7. Mendelssohn: Rondo Capriccioso, Op. 14 (52:13)
8. Chopin: Nocturne in F Major, Op. 15, No. 1 (58:29)
9. Chopin: Mazurka in D major, Op. 33, No. 2 (1:02:33)
10. Chopin: Barcarolle, Op. 60 1:05:07)

Volume 2:
1. Schumann: Fantasy, Op. 17 (First movement) (1:14:00)
2. Schumann: Arabesque, Op. 18 (1:26:04)
3. Brahms: Waltzes, Op. 39 (Selections) (1:32:11)
4. Brahms: Intermezzo, Op. 119, No. 3 (1:45:12)
5. Faure: Nocturne in D-Flat, Op. 63 (1:46:59)
6. Debussy: La Soiree dans Grenade, from Estampes (1:55:33)
7. Ravel: Scarbo, from Gaspard de la Nuit (2:00:42)
8. Scriabin: Etude, Op. 42, No. 5 (2:09:52)
9. Rachmaninoff: Four Preludes (23/8, 32/5, 32/7, 32/9) (2:13:07)
10. Prokofiev: Finale from Piano Sonata No. 2 in D Minor (2:25:45)

Posted by: Palindrome

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 09/15/13 07:14 AM

Is the second Scarlatti sonata perhaps K. 551?

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 09/15/13 09:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Palindrome
Is the second Scarlatti sonata perhaps K. 551?

Yes, sorry, I fixed it!
Posted by: wdot

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 09/18/13 03:48 PM

That's interesting. The Mendelssohn Rondo Capriccioso was one of my audition pieces up at Brevard in 1968. He was very complimentary. A very nice man.

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 09/18/13 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: wdot
That's interesting. The Mendelssohn Rondo Capriccioso was one of my audition pieces up at Brevard in 1968. He was very complimentary. A very nice man.

I was hoping you would come by this thread. smile I'm going to send you a PM.

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 10/07/13 02:31 PM

An all-French recital:

Franck: Prelude, Aria, et Final
Faure: Barcarolle No. 2 in G Major, Op. 41
Messiaen: Le Baiser de l'Enfant Jesus (from Vingt Regards)
Dutilleux: Sonate

(encores)
Francaix: Scherzo
Poulenc: Presto

===========================================================

In order to not bump this thread too often or create too long a chain of just posts by me, I will edit a new video into this post: an all-Bach recital!

Toccata in F-Sharp minor;
Prelude from Prelude and Fughetta in G Major, BWV 902; Partita No. 2 in C minor, BWV 826, 15 Three-Part Sinfonias, Prelude and Fugue in A minor, BWV 904, Andante from Sonata in D Minor BWV 964*, and the Presto from Italian Concerto. Hope you enjoy!

*(Composer's own arrangement of Sonata No. 2 in A Minor for Solo Violin BWV 1003)

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 10/07/13 04:32 PM

Here's a private studio recording of Max Reger "Aus meinem Tagebuch" Op. 82, Book 1; and Bohuslav Martinu's Sonata No. 1. From 1978.

==========================================================

Final video from the recordings Mr. Luvisi gave me: another all-Beethoven recital.

Some lesser heard repertoire, including two pieces I can't identify:
-Sonata in G Major Op. 31 No. 1
-11 Bagatelles, Op. 119; Rondo in C Major Op. 51, No. 1
-"Lustin Traurig"
-"Fur Elise"
-The two pieces I cannot identify (any help? They are at 53:13 and 54:33)
-Six Variations in F Major, Op. 34.

Hope you enjoy. And can anybody identify the two pieces I don't know?

Posted by: bkw58

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 10/12/13 12:16 PM

Was not familiar with him until around 1992 when NPR aired the Mozart Piano Concerto No. 17 in G major. St. Louis Symphony, Leonard Slatkin, I think. A wonderful performance. Met him a few years later when he performed, masterfully, the Brahms Piano Concerto No. 1 with the ASO. Audience and orchestra alike were in awe. A great pianist and a true gentleman. Thanks for posting the videos.

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 10/12/13 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: bkw58
Was not familiar with him until around 1992 when NPR aired the Mozart Piano Concerto No. 17 in G major. St. Louis Symphony, Leonard Slatkin, I think. A wonderful performance. Met him a few years later when he performed, masterfully, the Brahms Piano Concerto No. 1 with the ASO. Audience and orchestra alike were in awe. A great pianist and a true gentleman. Thanks for posting the videos.

Thanks for posting here smile He gave me some more recordings, here's one I recently uploaded: Beethoven Polonaise, Op. 89 and Sonata in A Major, Op. 101. These actually are not from a live recital, but a private studio recording, I believe made in Louisville in 1978.

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 10/30/13 08:04 AM

Any chance of posting excerpts from his performances with orchestra?

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 10/30/13 11:28 AM

I'm afraid I can't post anything besides solo piano, for I would need to seek permission from orchestra/unions/chamber music societies/etc. There was a Tchaikovsky Concerto recording I posted a long time ago that I was asked to remove, for example.

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 10/30/13 01:29 PM

I'm afraid I can't post anything besides solo piano, for I would need to seek permission from orchestra/unions/chamber music societies/etc. There was a Tchaikovsky Concerto recording I posted a long time ago that I was asked to remove, for example.

I understand. Thanks smile

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 01/11/14 02:30 AM

Bumping: Uploaded two more videos, and a third to come. These are compilations from various recitals or recording sessions. If you click on the "YouTube" button in the bottom corner to watch it on YouTube instead of embedded here, you can see the entire programs in the video descriptions and skip to a specific piece. smile

All-Faure collection. Intriguingly, he always said his three favorite composers are Bach, Mozart, and Faure.

And here is the Hindemith first sonata, as well as Shostakovich's 24 Preludes, Op. 34.

Another all-Bach video to come soon: French Suite 6, Aria variata, and English Suite 4!

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 01/11/14 03:05 AM

Okay here's the Bach: French Suite 6, Aria variata in A Minor, and English Suite 4:

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 01/11/14 03:39 AM

Okay here's the Bach: French Suite 6, Aria variata in A Minor, and English Suite 4:

Wow, these I cannot wait to hear.

Alas, too late for this evening, but hopefully tomorrow morning whilst getting ready to host a party for the Seahawks vs Saints playoff at 1:30 PST. You are rooting for us? wink

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 01/11/14 10:36 AM

Originally Posted By: argerichfan

Wow, these I cannot wait to hear.

Alas, too late for this evening, but hopefully tomorrow morning whilst getting ready to host a party for the Seahawks vs Saints playoff at 1:30 PST. You are rooting for us? wink

I hope you enjoy it! I've never cared for the Saints, so I'll root for the Seahawks for tomorrow.

And here is an all-Chopin collection:

Posted by: ScriabinAddict

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 01/11/14 03:08 PM

And here is an all-Chopin collection:

Thanks for posting these OSK. Not very familiar with Luvisi's work, but very intelligent and sensitive playing as far as I can tell. Keep 'em coming wink

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 01/12/14 10:43 PM

I think this is the last of them, until he gives me anything more. Or there may be one more from the stuff he gave me; I need to ask him.

But thanks for listening! smile Glad you enjoy, I think he's an amazing pianist and musician.

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 01/13/14 01:46 AM

I think this is the last of them, until he gives me anything more. Or there may be one more from the stuff he gave me; I need to ask him.

But thanks for listening! smile Glad you enjoy, I think he's an amazing pianist and musician.

Thanks for posting!

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 01/15/14 06:21 PM

I think this is the last of them, until he gives me anything more.

I was incorrect. There is still one more from what he gave me. Here it is:

Scarlatti: Sonatas in F-sharp Major K. 318 and 319
Schumann: Davidsbundlertanze
Frank Martin: Nos. 1, 3, and 7 from Preludes for Piano
Prokofiev: Sonata No. 2 in D Minor, Op. 14

Also, there will be a few more in the future: more Beethoven, more Mozart, probably some Haydn, I'm not sure what else. But for now, I hope you enjoy this. smile

Posted by: hreichgott

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 01/15/14 10:05 PM

Any chance of reposting the late Beethoven that got so much love on the first page of this thread? the video seems to have been taken down.

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 01/16/14 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: hreichgott
Any chance of reposting the late Beethoven that got so much love on the first page of this thread? the video seems to have been taken down.

I reposted both of those onto the Lee Luvisi Piano YouTube channel (they were on my OrangeSodaKing channel).
Posted by: hreichgott

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 01/17/14 10:54 PM

thank you!

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 02/23/14 01:19 PM

Two new videos. These come from when he did the complete solo piano works of Mozart throughout the 1990-1991 season.

Four piano sonatas: K. 282, 284, 533/494, and 576

Six sets of variations:
Click to reveal..
12 Variations in C Major on a Minuet by Johann Christian Fischer, K. 179
12 Variations in B-flat Major on an Allegretto, K. 500
8 Variations in F Major on "Dieu d'amour" K. 352
9 Variations in C Major on "Lison dormait" K. 264
12 Variations in E-flat Major on "La belle Francoise" K. 353
10 Variations in G Major on "Unser dummer Pobel meint" K. 455

I've got five more to come: some more Beethoven, some more Bach, some more Haydn, a mix that includes Ravel's Gaspard, complete Chopin preludes, and Bach's Capriccio on the Departure of his Most Beloved Brother, and another mix of shorter works.

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 02/23/14 07:24 PM

Two new videos. These come from when he did the complete solo piano works of Mozart throughout the 1990-1991 season.

More treasures. Thank-you so much for sharing these with us!

The older I get ... ha ha!... the more I have come to love and appreciate every note of Mozart. After all the empty rhetoric and sickening emotional impotence of the Rachmaninov sonatas, what a bloody relief.

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 02/23/14 07:29 PM

After all the empty rhetoric and sickening emotional impotence of the Rachmaninov sonatas, what a bloody relief.
Why so endlessly critical? Do you realize how many negative statements you include in your posts? This is just one of many, many examples.

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 02/23/14 08:01 PM

Why so endlessly critical?

But not above being critical of my posts, and those of several others here? You constantly whine about that stuff.

Interesting that you missed the whole point of my post. And going back some months to the utter fool you made of yourself in criticizing my sincere love of Liszt's Il lamento, well nothing much you say here means anything to me, how could it possibly?

Please put me on ignore, and beyond my reply here I have no desire to interact with you in the future.

Thank-you and good evening.

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 02/23/14 08:30 PM

But not above being critical of my posts, nor those of several others here? You constantly whine about that stuff.

Interesting that you missed the whole point of my post. Going back some months to the utter fool you made of yourself in criticizing my sincere love of Liszt's Il lamento, well nothing much you say here means anything to me, how could it possibly?

Please put me on ignore, and beyond e future.

Thank-you and good eveningmy reply here I have no desire to interact with you in th.
What you call whining others would call pointing out that continually negative and nasty posts are inappropriate and arrogant. Criticizing another poster for the contents of their post is different from criticizing a great composer in particularly nasty language.

I certainly didn't miss the point of your post in the slightest. What I noticed is that you, as you do so often, found it necessary to throw in a mean spirited jab.
Posted by: stores

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 02/23/14 09:17 PM

But not above being critical of my posts, nor those of several others here? You constantly whine about that stuff.

Interesting that you missed the whole point of my post. Going back some months to the utter fool you made of yourself in criticizing my sincere love of Liszt's Il lamento, well nothing much you say here means anything to me, how could it possibly?

Please put me on ignore, and beyond e future.

Thank-you and good eveningmy reply here I have no desire to interact with you in th.
What you call whining others would call pointing out that continually negative and nasty posts are inappropriate and arrogant. Criticizing another poster for the contents of their post is different from criticizing a great composer in particularly nasty language.

I certainly didn't miss the point of your post in the slightest. What I noticed is that you, as you do so often, found it necessary to throw in a mean spirited jab.

I must agree with argerich, but not regarding Rach. You're a whiner, plover. You seem to feel you're THE ONLY one above it all... to the point that you are the only one entitled to criticize anyone or anything. But the reality is that YOU are one of the more arrogant, nasty posters on the site and I'm not the only one who thinks so.
Posted by: stores

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 02/23/14 09:37 PM

The difference is that PL's nastiness is usually more of the passive-aggressive nature. Posting "joke" threads mocking other threads and so forth.

Although in PL's defense...

Interesting that you missed the whole point of my post. And going back some months to the utter fool you made of yourself in criticizing my sincere love of Liszt's Il lamento,

...this is quite hypocritical, as you have just trashed a great piece yourself.

Off-Topic Discussion Alert - let's not get too sidetracked. Even though I just contributed to it. grin

His "joke threads" don't bother me at all.

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 02/23/14 09:38 PM

Guys, not on this thread, please...

I've got another couple videos coming within the next hour or so, including another Beethoven recital that came from the season he did the complete solo piano works of Beethoven.

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 02/23/14 10:10 PM

Thank you for posting more of Mr Luvisi's recitals.
Posted by: Kuanpiano

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 02/23/14 10:12 PM

OSK just sent me samples of Lee's Gaspard de la Nuit, and it's INCREDIBLE. Do listen when you get the chance!

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 02/23/14 10:30 PM

Thanks for listening! Here, some temporary links to the Gaspard until I get the YouTube video up.
Ondine: https://app.box.com/s/1qv2ybkkrzkuqt9wsmxk
Le Gibet: https://app.box.com/s/gmmc8ix485d4cx82yw13
Scarbo: https://app.box.com/s/ixxab6jh45einm50bt5f

It also contains Bach's Capriccio on the Departure of his Most Beloved Brother BWV 992, Haydn Sonata in A-flat Major HOB. XVI/43, Mozart Prelude and Fugue in C Major K. 394, and complete Chopin Preludes.

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 02/23/14 10:39 PM

I listened to Ondine, and it's much too mechanical and mundane for me. It's a fairy without its magic.
Posted by: Pathbreaker

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 02/24/14 02:39 AM

Four piano sonatas: K. 282, 284, 533/494, and 576

Thanks for sharing this. This is such a great listen I ended up playing the whole video today. I think it's a great selection that really shows the contrast between earlier and later works by Mozart. Especially the 2nd movement of 533 is really adventurous.

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 02/24/14 07:43 AM

I listened to Ondine, and it's much too mechanical and mundane for me. It's a fairy without its magic.

Says you. He keeps it a little restrained in the beginning, but there is so much color and depth in his sound. The way he builds up to the climax as the first time really digging into the piano... Incredible! Not to mention his liquid touch.

Path breaker, glad you enjoyed, it really is incredible stuff!
Posted by: Ralph

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 02/24/14 06:25 PM

I saw him play some years ago at Curtis for one of their alumni recitals. He played the Beethoven sonatas Op 101, 106, 109 and 111...it was truly sublime. An experience I will never forget.

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 02/24/14 06:53 PM

101, 106, 109 and 111 all in the same concert? That's the heaviest program I've ever heard of. laugh

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 02/24/14 07:04 PM

Anton Rubinstein played 8 Beethoven Sonatas in one recital. Moonlight, Tempest, Appassionata, Waldstein, Op.90,101,109,111.

Kuerti played all 5 Beethoven Concerti and the Choral Fantasy in one evening with a break in the middle for dinner.

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 02/24/14 07:48 PM

Musithons. grin

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 02/25/14 11:52 AM

Yea it was a heavy concert but what an experience. I was spent by the end. Just an incredible emotional drain, but his playing was fantastic.

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 04/13/14 01:21 PM

More videos!

Selections from Bach's WTC, Book 1

Selections from Bach's WTC, Book 2

Ravel's Gaspard de la Nuit and Chopin's complete Preludes

Beethoven: Andante Favori, Sonata in A-flat Major Op. 26, Six Bagatelles Op. 126, Sonata in F Major Op. 54, and 32 Variations in C Minor

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 05/12/14 04:51 PM

Here are the final two videos from what he gave me. A Haydn sonata recital, and another personal selection of various works by various composers, taken from a 30-year span of concerts. I hope you all enjoy!

Four Haydn Sonatas
Sonata in C Minor, Hob. XVI/20
Sonata in E Major, Hob. XVI/31
Sonata in D Major, Hob. XVI/42
Sonata in E-flat Major, Hob. XVI/52

A Personal Selection II
1. Bach: Capriccio on the Departure of his Beloved Brother, BWV 992
2. Scarlatti: Sonata in G Major, K. 14
3. Scarlatti: Sonata in A Major, K. 24
4. Haydn: Adagio from Sonata in G Major, Hob. XVI/6
5. Mozart: March in C Major, K. 408
6. Mozart: 3 Country Dances for Count Czernin, K. 269b
7. Mozart: Prelude and Fugue in C Major, K. 394/383a
8. Beethoven: Rondo in G Major, Op. 51, No. 2
9. Schumann: Papillons, Op. 2
10. Chopin: Nocturne in G Major, Op. 37, No. 2
11. Chopin: Etude in G-flat Major, Op. 10, No. 5
12. Brahms: Adagio from Sonata No. 3 in F Minor, Op. 5
13. Kreisler-Rachmaninoff: Liebesleid

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 05/12/14 06:41 PM

(The first link won't load; the second goes to an unrelated video. Am I doing something wrong?)

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 05/12/14 09:53 PM

Wow! What a great collection of masterpieces played by a master. Thanks for posting these and thank Mr. Luvisi for giving them to us. This thread should be made permanent so it's never lost and available for everyone in the future.

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 05/21/14 11:54 PM

(The first link won't load; the second goes to an unrelated video. Am I doing something wrong?)

Sorry, try these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB_5WLBQyxE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=100BcVmDDTA

Re: Lee Luvisi recitals to be put on YouTube - 05/22/14 11:51 AM

Sorry, try these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB_5WLBQyxE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=100BcVmDDTA

Thanks! For those who may be interested in a little LL memorabilia:

Lee Luvisi