Piano World Home Page
Posted By: pianorigami College Fair! - 10/29/13 02:27 PM
I'm planning on attending a college fair tonight that includes Tufts, Oberlin, and a few others. Are there typical questions I should ask, or is it strictly personal?
What kinds of things would you ask?
Thanks!
Posted By: Alan Lai Re: College Fair! - 10/29/13 02:31 PM
Scholarships, part-time jobs, faculty availability, graduation requirement, off-campus performance opportunities.
Posted By: Peter K. Mose Re: College Fair! - 10/29/13 03:18 PM
How about, would I enjoy attending your school?
Posted By: Alan Lai Re: College Fair! - 10/29/13 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
How about, would I enjoy attending your school?

Those people don't and can't answer this question accurately.

Better make friends of some current students and ask them directly.
Posted By: Mark Polishook Re: College Fair! - 10/29/13 05:11 PM
pianoorigami,

part of what to look at with each school you meet is how interested they seem to be in you.

in this process there are no bad questions. ask away, see what you get back, ask more questions, and follow up if/as you need more info. don't assume anything you'd want to ask about is not worth asking about. you can't possibly know what kind of an answer you'll get until you ask the question.

and doing as alan suggests - speaking with current students - is always a great idea. but bottom line is the reps should be able to speak or follow up in some reasonable way to your concerns and interests. if they can't, they should have a follow up process so you get answers. if they're just not interested in helping you to get the information you're asking about .... well, that's not good.

there are a ton of fabulous schools out there who have a fabulous admissions process at every level - from fair nights through to interviews through to follow-up questions about applications and everything else related to those things ..

good luck!
Posted By: AnneJ Re: College Fair! - 10/30/13 12:13 AM
Ask them what makes their school/program different from similar schools/programs elsewhere.

You could ask what the strenghths of the program you are interested in are (not that you don't already know - it's just good to hear them say it).

Find out if there are dates for campus tours/visits. Try to go on one of these. You'll often learn much more than at the college fair. You might get to see some facilities that you might actually use, and you might actually meet some current students.
Posted By: SillySushiBear Re: College Fair! - 10/30/13 02:14 AM
Get facts from them-- "would I enjoy this school" They will say anything to get you interested. College fairs are usually handled by admissions--they're designed to be the face of the school, and they promote it, but you won't work with them ever again after you pick a school. This is why facts are a safe bet: you can get an objective sense of how you fit at this school rather than how you fit with this random person. A lot of former students work a few years in that office after graduating, so you could ask about their major, practice hours, living experiences, etc. Get facts on things like school size, majors number, concentrations, minors, living space and where by year, job rate after graduation in what field, financial aid, how much who, merit or need, part-time jobs, freelancing, teaching opportunities, etc.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums