Improvisation "e-cital"

Posted by: FSO

Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/16/14 04:43 PM

I bounced the idea of a collaborative improvisational work around some...pfft, lots of months ago laugh Anywho, whilst the results travelled in a somewhat different direction than I'd imagined, here they are (certainly no less the worse for it wink ): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0OsXT9m5gY Many thanks to Chopinlives81 and Polyphonist for participating! smile I'm sure any comments would be appreciated. I don't generally know how to wrap things up...so...I'll leave it at that wink
Xxx
Posted by: Ted

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/17/14 06:05 AM

Excellent ! I didn't think Pianoworld members were particularly interested in improvisation and I had not been visiting enough to know this was going on. If there is another one I'd certainly like to be in it. I like the opening of yours, and the trill/music box section of Chopin's has a peculiar charm. Polyphonist is playing some wistfully beautiful chords and changes. The swing sections were all too brief though; I do wish those had gone on longer. Thanks for taking the trouble to compile and post this. A real treat.
Posted by: The Wind

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/25/14 04:16 AM

Not bad but I could do better....=)
Posted by: Polyphonist

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/25/14 04:55 AM

ha

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/25/14 05:56 AM

You don't wanna challenge me cause I'ma own you straight up.
Posted by: currawong

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/25/14 06:00 AM

Originally Posted By: The Wind
You don't wanna challenge me cause I'ma own you straight up.
What's with the "challenge" stuff? This isn't a sporting contest.

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/25/14 06:04 AM

Poly's the fool making those comments so I'll shut him up, hahah. You obviously don't play sports or enter music competitions. I've won my fair share in both.

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/25/14 06:07 AM

I gotta say all the clips were pretty standard, classical only based sonorities. You guys should learn some jazz chords and scales. Or throw in a rhythmic blues or catchy riff. I got bored after 10 secs of each one.

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/25/14 06:12 AM

After that bland stuff I needed to recharge with some real improvising:

Posted by: currawong

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/25/14 06:14 AM

I gotta say all the clips were pretty standard, classical only based sonorities. You guys should learn some jazz chords and scales. Or throw in a rhythmic blues or catchy riff. I got bored after 10 secs of each one.
Not sure why you're looking for jazz improvisation in the classical forum. And you've just been saying over on the non-classical forum how much you hate classical.

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/25/14 06:20 AM

I just wanted to see how classical-only musicians improvise and it pretty much confirmed how limiting their skills are.

Listening objectively I wasn't too impressed. No clear motifs, no tension/release, stagnant finger patterns, quoting themes and regurgitation. I will say it is better than some of the new age pseudo elevator music junk that I hear.

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/25/14 06:22 AM

Don't forget the endless repeated trills that really serve no purpose, ie: 11:15-11:30

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/25/14 06:26 AM

Poly, your touch on the piano could use some help. stop banging so much on the keys.

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/25/14 06:31 AM

and your rhythmic sense could sharpen up. Were you speeding up deliberately in the fast passages or you just couldn't hold a steady beat?

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/25/14 06:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Ted
Excellent Polyphonist is playing some wistfully beautiful chords and changes. The swing sections were all too brief though;

Ted you need to listen to some real jazz, hehe. That wasn't swing, that won't swung.

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/25/14 06:49 AM

This is swing:

Posted by: JoelW

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/25/14 12:17 PM

It must be pretty warm where The Wind lives.

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/25/14 01:22 PM

Joel, I think it's time to try the strategy we once used on Atrys.

The Wind, you are absolutely right.

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/25/14 01:40 PM

Very nice improv, Poly. It was interesting and skillful. But The Wind could teach you a few things. I would listen to him.
Posted by: Orange Soda King

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/25/14 02:00 PM

This thread is getting very entertaining really quickly. smile

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/25/14 02:47 PM

hey Joel and Poly, let me ask you a question. Have either of you gotten paid 3 or 4 figures a night for playing piano? If not then you better start hustling. "Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing....be bop a do bop..."

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/25/14 02:58 PM

If you guys want some lessons on improv, my rates are most likely too high for you, hehehe laugh

There are some excellent teachers in the jazz section.

Look up Dave Frank or Mark Polishook's vids and posts. those guys know their stuff. WAYYY better than me.

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/25/14 03:04 PM

hey Joel, with close to 5000 posts in 2 years surely you got some time to put up a tune or 2. Let's hear it buddy.

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/25/14 03:08 PM

hahaha

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/25/14 03:28 PM

Is that "hahaha" just a natural reflex or do you really have nothing better to say.

You have learned well from your master Poly, the 7000 post man. Soon you as the protege will overtake him and his "kingdom"...

I gotta ask do you have real lives or do you just spend all your time at the forums? Don't you have friends or something.

Gotta run, got a date with a pretty lady at a jazz show, then dinner. Don't miss me too much.
Posted by: Michael Sayers

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/25/14 04:01 PM

Hi FSO, I finally listened to the improvisation e-cital. I thought it was quite exceptional especially with the addition of golden age of the piano evoker Polyphonist. I am looking forward to another if it is in the cards to happen. This one was well done by everyone!

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/25/14 04:41 PM

The Wind, you are absolutely right.

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/25/14 04:51 PM

The Wind is really blowin' hard today, isn't it?

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/25/14 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: JoelW
The Wind is really blowin' hard today, isn't it?

I'm reminded of a comment a member once made regarding one of The Wind's wise, insightful posts trashing all classical music and its proponents - "Well, with a nickname like Wind, we pretty much know all we'll get from you is hot air."

Apt indeed.

(Oh, by the way - The Wind, you are absolutely right.)
Posted by: MikeN

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/25/14 05:07 PM

Sings nineties Mariah Carey pseudo jazz tune," You'll only faaa-da in...to..the win-n-nnnnd."

whome Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/25/14 09:50 PM

Poly for a guy who's done 7300 POSTS in 1 year (is that a record here btw? HAHAHAH) I reckon you got about .01 % worth reading.

I know I'm right man, esp when it come to critiquing your music. You should bow down and take some lessons man, might do you some good to prostrate yourself from your self-proclaimed perch.

And your minion Joel following you around like a needy puppy, not sure if that's endearing or just annoying. Can't blame him, he's just a kid looking for a role model. Shame he picked you.

I recommend the both of you take a few months hiatus from this forum. Sounds like you guys are addicted to the sound of your own voice. I feel the narcissism oozing out of your inflated brains. Certainly doesn't help you learn or play music better.

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/25/14 10:15 PM

Originally Posted By: MikeN
Sings nineties Mariah Carey pseudo jazz tune," You'll only faaa-da in...to..the win-n-nnnnd."

That cover made the composer of the tune a TON of $$. Mariah Carey may be considered gauche, but damn that girl SELLS.
Posted by: Francisco Scalco

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/25/14 10:23 PM

Wow Poly! Didn't know you had this in ya! Very nice. I listened to it while I was having dinner and frankly, sometimes I forgot it was improvisation! Good job to the three of you.
Posted by: MikeN

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/25/14 10:36 PM

That cover made the composer of the tune a TON of $$. Mariah Carey may be considered gauche, but damn that girl SELLS.

True dat. I'm sure Russ is/was rollin in it. ha Ironically, that song wasn't even a single on one of her least successful albums.

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/25/14 10:58 PM

True dat. I'm sure Russ is/was rollin in it. ha Ironically, that song wasn't even a single one one of her least successful albums.

according to Wikipedia, that album "Emotions" went 4x Platinum in the USA alone. Worldwide sales of 8 million.

Not too shabby, Ol Russ was laughing to the bank. Royalties baby!
Posted by: doctor S

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/26/14 09:18 AM

Re: the improvisation styles: without theme(s), can sound more like "noodling", a la Hoffman interludes and Cziffra pre-concert warm-ups. Themes, please.
Yes, I'm sure all the jazz greats who played "progressive" jazz were geniuses, but I prefer Brubeck (often derided by jazz DJs as "Richard Rogers" music).

Poly's sixth chords and lush harmonies are present just as in his compositions, kind of like Rachmaninoff: even Rachmaninoff's Bach transcriptions sound like Rachmaninoff. I'm thinking of Manfred Clynes and his computer that detects a composer's unique "fingerprint" as a wave/shape that is the same for any composition by the same composer.

Oh, and "we" would like very much to hear some of that Wangian technique by the longest contributor, used in recordings of standard repertoire by 1) Chopin, 2) Rachmaninoff, 3) Bach, 4) Schumann, 5) Ravel, 6) Scriabin, 7) Godowsky, pretty much in that order.

And before y'all do this again (and "we" do want you to do it again, please!), have (one of) the contributors watch Dudley Moore's video of the almost-never-ending Beethoven Over the River Kwai: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GazlqD4mLvw

Probably won't help..."we" like him anyway.

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/26/14 02:31 PM

I'm a little confused by your post, doctor S, but...

Originally Posted By: doctor S
Re: the improvisation styles: without theme(s), can sound more like "noodling", a la Hoffman interludes and Cziffra pre-concert warm-ups. Themes, please.

...my improvisation does contain several good themes. Did you listen to the whole thing?

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/26/14 03:58 PM

Yes! The whole thing! And it's doggone wonderful!! But me of little brain needs more obvious themes (kind of like a goldfish gaping at the control panel wall of a nuclear power plant), "we" would like a "melody" (ie theme and variations??). Just a request for more. (a la Oliver, the musical..."More?!? You want MORE?!?")

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/26/14 04:09 PM

Still a bit confused. My improvisation is stuffed with melodies. For example:

16:04
17:59
23:23
25:04
25:35
29:03

to name just a few of the best ones, the last two being the finale and coda themes respectively.

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/26/14 06:01 PM

Agree. Themes. (Did I mention I (the goldfish) really, really liked it/them?)

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/26/14 06:07 PM

I'm still very confused. Now you're saying you did like the themes?

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/26/14 06:15 PM

Yes, I like/liked the whole enchilada. (And goldfish could appreciate them better if you played them more than once!)

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/26/14 07:32 PM

Rescued! (With Thanks to Mark Polishook!)

Ignore everything in my previous posts (except where I said I liked everything).

See: http://mic.com/articles/91329/science-sh...everybody-elses

So all 3 collaborators must have enormous brains. (Much bigger than me...I can barely chord Happy Birthday to save my life!). And the biggest contributor must have the biggest brain. Even bigger for being "classical" improvisors. With Wangian technique.
Posted by: Mark Polishook

Re: Improvisation "e-cital" - 06/26/14 08:05 PM

Doc S ... Glad I was able to help smile