Could anyone suggest a good book?

Posted by: ***musical princess***

Could anyone suggest a good book? - 06/27/05 10:40 AM

I really need to improve my velocity for a new piece i'm learning and was wondering if anyone could suggest a good book. I currently use Tankard for normal technique stuff but he doesn't do much in the way of speed. If anyone could help i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

x
Posted by: pianoanne

Re: Could anyone suggest a good book? - 06/27/05 10:47 AM

I don't think you necessarly need a technique book to play the piece you are working on faster. I would recommend working technique on the music itself. You can do impulse practicing, which consists of taking small groups of notes (like 4 16th notes) and dropping on the first note then slightly shifting the hand over to automatically play the 3 other notes. This results in less notey playing. It may sound complicated, but if you see someone do it, it's really not difficult. I might not have explained it the best either. Also slow to fast with the metronome, moving it up 2 notches at a time really helps.
Posted by: kcoul058

Re: Could anyone suggest a good book? - 06/27/05 11:18 AM

hmm, the obvious answer might be Czerny's school of velocity?

Re: Could anyone suggest a good book? - 06/27/05 11:30 AM

'Czerny's school of velocity'

Is that a book? And is it available in England?

x
Posted by: john the hand

Re: Could anyone suggest a good book? - 06/27/05 12:23 PM

Hmm, I'm not sure about England, but Alfred makes a great copy of the school of velocity. It's about $11 here in the U.S. Here is the information:

Czerny: The School of Velocity Op. 299 (Complete)
Edited by Willard A. Palmer
ISBN: 0-7390-1064-6

It's a handy book that helped me advance towards etudes since it deals with fast passages throughout the book! But, of course, you can always try finding a .PDF file of the Op. 299, but getting a book is just more convenient.
Posted by: Auntie Lynn

Re: Could anyone suggest a good book? - 06/27/05 08:15 PM

Everybody over on Classical Insites was trilling about the Dohnanyi Etudes - I have them but never got seriously into them, too much other stuff to do...so many pieces, so little time...ach du lieber...
Posted by: paulie567

Re: Could anyone suggest a good book? - 06/27/05 09:21 PM

hey princess,

Check out this thread which Elena kindly posted-- it helped me build up speed with Chopin's deadly Op.10/4 Etude:
web page

In fact Op.10/4 itself is a great piece for speed and finger technique if you want to try it. I don't think it's that hard to learn, but to play it fast might take years (at least it has for me). Hope that helps, -Paul

Re: Could anyone suggest a good book? - 06/28/05 03:07 AM

Thanks guys. I'll look out for Czerny and i read through that post and its already helped loads, thanx Paulie!

x
Posted by: Puckettmeister86

Re: Could anyone suggest a good book? - 06/28/05 09:09 AM

"Could anyone suggest a good book?"

The Chronicals of Narnia!!!
My favorite books in the series are:
'The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe',
'and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader'.

AWESOME BOOKS by C.S.Lewis.
Posted by: Puckettmeister86

Re: Could anyone suggest a good book? - 06/28/05 09:12 AM

They were actually SET in ENGLAND!!! HAH!

Re: Could anyone suggest a good book? - 06/28/05 10:46 AM

Yes, you're very witty 86. I'm suprised that didn't come up sooner.

x
Posted by: Derulux

Re: Could anyone suggest a good book? - 06/28/05 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Puckettmeister86:
They were actually SET in ENGLAND!!! HAH! [/b]
Not-uh. They were set in a wardrobe. :p