Posted by: madcat

Dictation? - 12/21/01 09:42 PM

Can anyone explain to me what "Phrases for Dictation" and "Harmonic Dictation" might be about?

I'm reading "Fundamentals of Music" by Raymond Elliot. In each chapter he has a "Activities for Growth" section. These are worksheets, practice exercises, melodies for reading, phrases for dication, and harmonic dictation. I don't get what the exercise is supposed to be for the dictations.
Posted by: MacDuff

Re: Dictation? - 12/21/01 10:52 PM

Melodic dictation is when someone bangs out a tune several times with one finger at the piano and a classroom of students experiencing varying degrees of frustration and panic notate what was played on staff paper having been given only the starting note, key, and time signature.

The do-it-yourself version is to think of a tune and write it out on staff paper in a chosen key. Only check it at the piano when you think you've gotten it right.

Harmonic dictation is writing out funny chords played in confusing inversions and cadential chord progressions.

[ December 21, 2001: Message edited by: MacDuff ]
Posted by: PianoMuse

Re: Dictation? - 12/21/01 11:16 PM

Isn't that stuff the worst? especially when it's the entire final exam which consists of 50 % OF YOUR GRADE! AGHHH! i just had that exam...i almost started crying in the middle of it, the prof. played the chords and melody so fast, it was like a big blur. i just scribbled down what i hoped was correct..ah, well, i am sure it will be good for something some day.