Liebestraum? need tempo suggestions

Posted by: apple*

Liebestraum? need tempo suggestions - 07/03/07 11:19 PM

care to comment?

a common overplayed piece or something everyone should know?
Posted by: BDB

Re: Liebestraum? need tempo suggestions - 07/04/07 12:23 AM

A common overplayed piece and something everyone should know!
Posted by: dannylux

Re: Liebestraum? need tempo suggestions - 07/04/07 12:35 AM

When Eve is in a good mood:

"I adore cheap sentiment".

In a bad mood:

"I detest cheap sentiment."

Mel
Posted by: BruceD

Re: Liebestraum? need tempo suggestions - 07/04/07 01:10 AM

Liszt, one of the great writers of transcriptions of songs[1] of other composers for piano solo (Beethoven, Schubert, Mendelssohn, Schumann) also wrote transcriptions of songs of Chopin. Liszt's most well-known "Liebestraum" (3rd of three) is a piano solo transcription of one of his own songs : "O lieb', o lieb' so lang du lieben kannst" to words written by F. Freiligrath.

I think the piano work takes on a new, more lyrical character in the hands of one who realizes it is a transcription of a song and who concentrates on the lyricism rather than on the virtuosity of the piece; even more so if one knows the original song, of course.

[1] The word "song" is used here in its strict sense, a composition for voice.

Regards,
Posted by: MMSGA

Re: Liebestraum? need tempo suggestions - 07/04/07 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BruceD:
Liszt, one of the great writers of transcriptions of songs[1] of other composers for piano solo (Beethoven, Schubert, Mendelssohn, Schumann) also wrote transcriptions of songs of Chopin. Liszt's most well-known "Liebestraum" (3rd of three) is a piano solo transcription of one of his own songs : "O lieb', o lieb' so lang du lieben kannst" to words written by F. Freiligrath.

I think the piano work takes on a new, more lyrical character in the hands of one who realizes it is a transcription of a song and who concentrates on the lyricism rather than on the virtuosity of the piece; even more so if one knows the original song, of course.

[1] The word "song" is used here in its strict sense, a composition for voice.

Regards, [/b]
Which is why I like Bolet's recording SO SO much...

Litsitsa (probably spelt incorrectly, but I'm sure people know who I mean!), played it here in Singapore on Sunday. More like 'Divorcestrauma' than anything resembling love...
Posted by: Ted2

Re: Liebestraum? need tempo suggestions - 07/04/07 05:56 AM

"a common overplayed piece or something everyone should know?"[/b]

Neither for me because I wouldn't know how often it is played and I wouldn't presume to tell people what music they "should" know.

I used to play it often but haven't played it for a long time. As a piano piece I rather like it; it has a nice melody. Can't say much apart from that.
Posted by: sophial

Re: Liebestraum? need tempo suggestions - 07/04/07 11:18 AM

It's a beautiful piece but can be ruined by over-sentimentalizing it. It needs taste and as BruceD said, awareness of its lyricism and origins as a song. It is far from my favorite Liszt piece, though.

Sophia
Posted by: hopinmad

Re: Liebestraum? need tempo suggestions - 07/04/07 04:58 PM

absolutely great
Posted by: Varcon

Re: Liebestraum? need tempo suggestions - 07/04/07 06:57 PM

It is a hackneyed piece but when played with genuine feeling still very appealing. My teacher in Honolulu would quote Josef Hofmann who said, "It isn't what you play, it's how you play it."
Posted by: apple*

Re: Liebestraum? need tempo suggestions - 07/04/07 11:07 PM

it's beautiful

i'm learning alot about how to play..i can see Lizst was a marvelous pianist. (i improvise for songs in my gratis day job.... there is alot to appreciate). there are so many beautiful variations and he writes so cleverly and melodiously.

is there an edition where the stems of the note indicate which hand to use?

what's a good tempo?
Posted by: hopinmad

Re: Liebestraum? need tempo suggestions - 07/05/07 11:17 AM

some of the chords are awkaward, and i have to use my RH to play some notes