Furtwängler-Fischer Brahms Bb from 1942

Posted by: argerichfan

Furtwängler-Fischer Brahms Bb from 1942 - 10/09/07 10:46 PM

A friend of mine in Finland (hello, Antonius?) sent me this recording today. It is live from Berlin, 8 November, 1942.

I had not heard it before, but this performance has such a stark "moment of truth", an utter intensity of recreation, it is if their lives depended upon it. I have never loved this concerto so much.

Much courage in the face of RAF bombing, once more proving that in war, there aren't really any "good" guys.

Anyone else heard this?
Posted by: BDB

Re: Furtwängler-Fischer Brahms Bb from 1942 - 10/09/07 11:00 PM

Fischer was Swiss, not German.

Re: Furtwängler-Fischer Brahms Bb from 1942 - 10/10/07 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BDB:
Fischer was Swiss, not German.
You're correct, my apologies offered for being too young and quick.

(Yet I should have remembered that. Oh well.)

But you have not heard that recording have you? The lofty, dismissive tone of your post reaks of the "grand old man", squashing argerichfan's young enthusiasm. You obviously made no mistakes at 25. Good on ya...
Posted by: Pahl Bankschuler

Re: Furtwängler-Fischer Brahms Bb from 1942 - 10/10/07 02:12 AM

I haven't heard it, but it's certainly on my list of recordings to acquire - I'm sure it's delicious. I have heard Furtwangler's recordings of the Brahms symphonies and they are simply breathtaking.

Edwin Fischer might as well have been German - almost all of his music repertoire was Germanic. What a fine music maker he was. Alfred Brendel studied with him - here's an illuminating essay written by him about his teacher:
http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/2192/essays3.html

I also found this nicely done Fischer discography:
http://my.dreamwiz.com/fischer/Fischer/Discography_Fischer.htm
Posted by: Antonius Hamus

Re: Furtwängler-Fischer Brahms Bb from 1942 - 10/10/07 03:06 AM

Hello (from one of your friends in Finland). I must say my collection is sorely lacking both on the Furtwangler and Fischer fronts. Brendel mentions a few of the best recordings of each in his essays. I'll keep the Brahms in mind.

By the way, don't miss my Variation Fun thread in the composer's lounge. I'm looking for a full crew, and there are some groovy variations still to be made:

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/41/446.html
Posted by: BDB

Re: Furtwängler-Fischer Brahms Bb from 1942 - 10/10/07 05:59 PM

My comment was a simple correction of a fact. One of my cherished recordings is Fischer's recording of Brahms' first quartet, which I prefer to Brahms' concertos. I particularly have come to like the portamento string playing, which nobody does any more, but the piano playing in the Intermezzo is amazing.

On the same disk was Furtwängler conducting him in a movement of the conductor's concerto, and Fischer playing and conducting the Haydn Concerto in D, which like the quartet, has a rondo in the Hungarian (actually Rom) style. It turns out that I have another recording of that concerto conducted and played by another Swiss-born pianist, Rudolf Ganz, so the fact that they were both Swiss sticks out in my mind.

Re: Furtwängler-Fischer Brahms Bb from 1942 - 10/10/07 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BDB:
My comment was a simple correction of a fact. One of my cherished recordings is Fischer's recording of Brahms' first quartet, which I prefer to Brahms' concertos. I particularly have come to like the portamento string playing, which nobody does any more, but the piano playing in the Intermezzo is amazing.

On the same disk was Furtwängler conducting him in a movement of the conductor's concerto, and Fischer playing and conducting the Haydn Concerto in D, which like the quartet, has a rondo in the Hungarian (actually Rom) style. It turns out that I have another recording of that concerto conducted and played by another Swiss-born pianist, Rudolf Ganz, so the fact that they were both Swiss sticks out in my mind.
Well, thank-you BDB for this. I didn't mean to be rude, perhaps I get a bit touchy when I have made mistakes that are really my own fault.

Great post, though. As usual, there is much to learn from your contributions.