The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion.

Posted by: TS

The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 03/07/04 01:42 PM

I just bought my first recordings of the beethoven sonatas, and by none else then Glen Gould? Now, that I think about it I think I shoulf have bought recordings of some of the, how should I say this, "traditional" interpretations. Although I am not very knowledgeable on the subject, Glen Gould apparently has some very "interesting" interpretations on the sonatas, quite frequently going against the technicalities that Beethoven himself specified. On the other hand Glen Gould is....well....amazing.

However, I haven't heard any other recognized pianists play any beethoven sonatas, and I'm wondering who you think is the "best".
Posted by: Beaver

Re: The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 03/07/04 01:48 PM

Quote:
The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion.
Alfred Brendel.

Also check out:

Richard Goode
Claudio Arrau
Rudolf Serkin
Wilhelm Backhaus
Arthur Schnabel
Wilhelm Kempff
Posted by: benedict

Re: The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 03/07/04 04:49 PM

Alfred Brendel, of course.
Posted by: pianoloverus

Re: The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 03/07/04 04:49 PM

Best? But I would have to say Gould is one of the worst for Beethoven.
Posted by: ryan

Re: The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 03/07/04 06:03 PM

Some comments on the listed pianists:

Brendel is blatently modern school. Some like this and some hate it. Same with Polini. Great pianists, both of them, but not my cup of tea (any more). Bachkaus can be great, but isn't completely even (some of his were recorded in his last years). Schnabel has great ideas and horrible execution. Arrau plays everything so SLOW and pedantically, even when he is trying to sound romantic. Serkin has some really interesting ideas about how Beethoven should be played - his playing seems to be more instinctive than intellectual. It can sound rough around the edges, but I am entertained by his performances. Goode is a fantastic pianist. Don't overlook the Ashkenazy cycle, I like a lot of what he did.

Ryan
Posted by: iamcanadian

Re: The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 03/07/04 06:22 PM

Anton Kuerti

::I have heard over 15 sets and kuerti is the one I always go back to. It is also brilliantly well recorded. I have never heard a recording with this kind of sound quality.
Posted by: Goldberg

Re: The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 03/07/04 06:38 PM

I also love Anton Kuerti for Beethoven! Though I haven't listened to any of his Beethoven CD's, I've seen him twice in concert (once for 4 sonatas, and another for Beethoven's 3rd concerto) and he's really quite amazing. For the set, I own Goode and a few parts of O'Conor. While I like both of them, Goode is definitely my preference.
Posted by: Steve O.

Re: The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 03/07/04 11:23 PM

I don't have many for comparison, but I have some of the O'Connor sets and, while the sound is great, I prefer the Wilhelm Kempff. I have the later Kempff recording and the sound is exceptional and the playing relatively unmannered and well executed (to my ears, anyway).

Best,

Steve O.
Posted by: pqbd

Re: The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 03/08/04 06:59 AM

Quote:
Alfred Brendel, of course.
Ditto. The man recorded the cycle three times, for goodness sakes! I have the first recording (from the 60's), and for some reason, I keep going back to it.

I also have the Goode recording, which I think is a fine one. I've also listened to some of the later Kempff and wasn't impressed.

pqbd
Posted by: junirrollo

Re: The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 03/08/04 02:21 PM

Daneil Barenboim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
extremly good beethoven player
went to his complete piano sonatas recitel last year
Posted by: junirrollo

Re: The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 03/08/04 02:21 PM

Daneil Barenboim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
extremly good beethoven player
went to his complete piano sonatas recitel last year.
he is from Argentina
Posted by: kluurs

Re: The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 03/09/04 06:02 PM

I have all of the recordings mentioned above and a few others...Bernard Roberts, Nat, Fischer, etc.

Were the house on fire, my ordering might be...
Goode
Kovacavich
Kempff I
Barenboim I
Russel Sherman
Annie Fischer
Kuerti
Kempff II
Brendel I
Schnabel
Roberts
Nat
O'Connor

Not recommended - Gulda

I'm still listening to the new Kovacavech. It is excellent. I think all of the above are superb -- and wouldn't argue with anyone's taking any of the above as a first choice. I'm not as wild about Gulda and later Brendels.

Ken
Posted by: Gflat

Re: The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 03/10/04 04:25 PM

Kempff plays beautifully

Baremboim, the younger version, are good too
Posted by: Palindrome

Re: The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 03/10/04 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gflat:
Kempff plays beautifully

Baremboim, the younger version, are good too [/b]
Kempff does play beautifully, but to my ear is a bit too "soft," lacking a touch of astringency or "bite" that I think the music needs at times.
Posted by: Spock

Re: The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 03/10/04 05:42 PM

Another one that hasn't been mentioned (suprisingly) is Maurizio Pollini. Not to everyone's tastes (but no-one is), though definitely worth checking out.

He's a more 'masculine' pianist, than, say, Brendel, who is very "cerebral" and subtle, which is not everyone's cup of tea.

\:\)
Posted by: starmender

Re: The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 03/10/04 06:29 PM

Brendel. If he doesn't suit you, you could try God, who may perhaps be a little better, but I doubt it.

Also Kristian Zachariah, who is miraculously musical, and lyrical, and the only one in my view who might inherit the great man's mantle.
Posted by: AndrewG

Re: The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 03/11/04 07:20 AM

Has Claude Frank been mentioned yet?
Posted by: Hank Drake

Re: The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 03/11/04 10:15 PM

Claude Frank's is one of the better sets out there, and IIRC, it's at budget price.

There's a 5-CD set with Rudolf Serkin on Sony, playing just over half of them. For large scale, architectonic Beethoven playing, I'd recommend Serkin.

I'd second the recommendation from Kempff, and if you're not looking for a complete set, you might want to try Perahia. I find his Beethoven refreshing--direct, bracing, and with immaculate technique. He's done most of the more popular ones, and rumor hath it, there's more coming.
Posted by: Mat D.

Re: The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 03/12/04 02:05 AM

I love Kempff's Beethoven; you can hear his love for the composer in his performances...

How about Annie Fisher for some wonderful Beethoven sonatas.
Posted by: Spock

Re: The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 03/12/04 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hank Drake:
Claude Frank's is one of the better sets out there, and IIRC, it's at budget price.

There's a 5-CD set with Rudolf Serkin on Sony, playing just over half of them. For large scale, architectonic Beethoven playing, I'd recommend Serkin.

I'd second the recommendation from Kempff, and if you're not looking for a complete set, you might want to try Perahia. I find his Beethoven refreshing--direct, bracing, and with immaculate technique. He's done most of the more popular ones, and rumor hath it, there's more coming. [/b]
Murray Perahia is probably my favourite pianist. A complete set by him could be amazing.
Posted by: ryan

Re: The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 03/12/04 01:25 PM

I've always liked Perahia's Beethoven. I would be first in line if a complete set became available.
Posted by: decibel101

Re: The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 03/12/04 02:24 PM

two words

ALFRED BRENDEL!!!!

the man is my hero, you just can't get any more tasteful, accurate, and true to the text. He also add's a great intellect
Posted by: phykell

Re: The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 03/12/04 02:56 PM

The American Daniel Chorzempa, primarily an organist but also my favourite pianist without doubt.

Listen to his exploratory and still unsurpassed playing of the Moonlight's 1st movement (the 3rd movement is also played perfectly) and his fantastic version of the Pathetique and Appassionata.
Posted by: plays88skeys

Re: The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 03/14/04 08:52 AM

Kempff! Enough said.
Posted by: pianobleu

Re: The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 03/18/04 11:11 AM

I'm agree with decibel 101 aand pqbd
Alfred Brendel !
Posted by: pianobleu

Re: The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 03/18/04 11:13 AM

But ... on pianoforte I'll notice you Trudelies Leonhardt (the Gustav's sister )see her website
http://www.homepages.hetnet.nl/%7Eleonhardt/
Posted by: Renauda

Re: The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 03/18/04 11:03 PM

Buchbinder, Pollini, Gilels and Argerich in no particular order.
Posted by: Hyperion

Re: The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 03/19/04 05:39 PM

Richard Goode, in my opinion. Although he's not totally perfect either technically or musically all of the time, he's the closest I've heard. ;\)
Posted by: RachFan

Re: The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 03/19/04 11:01 PM

Wilhelm Backhaus' old Beethoven recordings are hard to beat--fidelity to the scores, clean lines, and supremely even articulation throughout. Beethoven, like Schubert, was a transitional pre-romantic composer, standing between the Vienese Classic and the Romantic styles. Backhaus eschewed the temptation to infuse Beethoven with romantic flare. He kept it all pure, yet without being dry in his renditions.
Posted by: EHpianist

Re: The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 03/20/04 07:01 PM

Undoubtedly for me it is Arrau. Yes, he plays things slower and slower the older he gets but he makes more music in one note than any modern pianist does in 20 CD's. His renditions on Op.109-111 and his 4th Piano Concerto are the most exquisite pianism and musicianship I have ever heard.

John O'Conor (and I should make the disclaimer that he is my former teacher) is also fantastic. His was the first CD I ever owned and to this day continues to be one of my favorites. There is fresh, insightful approach to the Sonatas with him.

Elena
http://www.pianofourhands.com
Posted by: Jemima

Re: The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 03/22/04 04:27 AM

Baranboim 110%
Posted by: elfen

Re: The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 03/22/04 09:10 AM

For me it has to be Gilels, though he did not manage to complete his recording. What a great pity not to be able to hear his rendition of No32!
Posted by: Torley Wong

Re: The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 07/24/04 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Goldberg:
I also love Anton Kuerti for Beethoven! Though I haven't listened to any of his Beethoven CD's, I've seen him twice in concert (once for 4 sonatas, and another for Beethoven's 3rd concerto) and he's really quite amazing. For the set, I own Goode and a few parts of O'Conor. While I like both of them, Goode is definitely my preference. [/b]
Agree wholeheartedly. In Net lingo, Anton Kuerti is 0wnag3.
Posted by: signa

Re: The best beethoven pianist?.....in your opinion. - 07/24/04 09:29 PM

i like Arrau, Pollini, Gulda and Brendel for Beethoven, although they may have different ways for interpretation. i know that nobody mention Friedrich Gulda, but i find his Waldstein and op.54 are just fantastic.