Piano World Home Page
Posted By: all thumb Murray Pariah Recording (Which One) - 01/14/02 02:42 AM
Hi yet again,

First, please forgive my spelling of names.

I would like to add a recording of Murray Pariah to my CD collection. Can anyone recommend an excellent one. I tend to like the classical period of music. Is there one recording that is considered his best?
Posted By: Palindrome Re: Murray Pariah Recording (Which One) - 01/14/02 03:39 AM
Perahia has a combined recording of Handel (three keyboard suites & a Chaconne) and Scarlatti on Sony SK 62785. I bought it for the Scarlatti but was totally captivated by the Handel. If you're looking for later music, I think his Mendelssohn Songs without Words (along with some Bach/Busoni and Schubert/Liszt), Sony SK 66511, is a nice disc. Enjoy.
Posted By: all thumb Re: Murray Pariah Recording (Which One) - 01/14/02 05:52 AM
Thanks, I will add these to my collection. smile
Posted By: Hank Drake Re: Murray Pariah Recording (Which One) - 01/15/02 12:52 AM
Keep your eyes open for Murray Perahia's Chopin Etudes, due from Sony this spring.
Posted By: Mat D. Re: Murray Pariah Recording (Which One) - 01/15/02 06:15 AM
Can't go wrong with Mr. Perahia. His tone is gorgeous and playing is very 'civilized'--I don't mean boring, but refined and musical.

try also the Goldberg variations.
Posted By: BruceD Re: Murray Pariah Recording (Which One) - 01/15/02 12:44 PM
Mr. Perahia's recordings of the Mozart Piano Concerti, some of which date back to the 70s, are some of the finest ever made of that repertoire. Critics are unanimous - almost to a man (and woman!) - on these issues and re-issues. That explains why some of them are still in the catalogue.

I am thrilled to hear that he is preparing the Chopin Etudes for release. Much of his Chopin is some of the most elegant, refined - yet not without the appropriate feeling - that I have ever heard. His early recording for CBS of the Impromptus, the Fantasy and the Berceuse is exquisite. His rendering of the Berceuse puts Rubinstein's wonderful performance in second place. Perahia's Berceuse is the most effortless, yet detailed tracing of musical filigree I have ever heard. His newer recording of the Ballades is quite amazing, too. With very few exceptions, it's hard to find "unsuccessful" recordings from this pianist, although there may be one or two in his large output. It's hard, also, not to sound over-enthusiastic about his technique and, above all, his consumate artistry and musicianship.

Regards,
Posted By: Hank Drake Re: Murray Pariah Recording (Which One) - 01/15/02 08:25 PM
The interesting thing about Perahia's technique is that it's so natural, it seldom calls attention to itself. I've also enjoyed Perahia's Goldberg Variations, but some Bach "authorities" have trounced on it so vociferously that I was afraid to recommend it.

Perahia's Chopin Etudes have been ready for about a year, but Sony has been holding release until sales of his Bach Concertos CD taper off. In this era of CD glut, it's nice to know that a few albums can sell beyond expectations.
Posted By: Chris W1 Re: Murray Pariah Recording (Which One) - 01/15/02 09:53 PM
Perahia's Berceuse (Op. 59?) is marvelous, IMO. Its one of the only moderately challenging pieces I know (at least its tough in the right hand). I have a home-spun CD with his rendition following Rubensteins and even one by Michael Angeli. Perahia plays the straight forward bassline of this piece with a constant amount of acceleration in the middle of each mesure. It helps make the whole of it come off in a very captivating way. Michael Angeli's technique is incredible in the middle, but compared to Perahia, it seems like there is a bit of showmanship going on.

The recording I have of Murray is on Columbia and may no longer be available. Its all Chopin. I have the Bach recording, and am also working on some Bach, but I'd pick Murray's Chopin, or Schubert, as the first disc.

I hope to pick up the Etudes as soon as they are out. The one's he played in the spring in Boston were quite fiery. Critiques see him taking more chances, now, than he has generally been known to.

Chris W
Please don't hate me for my spelling.
Posted By: ryan Re: Murray Pariah Recording (Which One) - 01/17/02 02:25 AM
I like most of what Perahia recorded. Three of my favorites are the Goldberg Variations, the Schumann Sonata and Kreisleriana, and the Scarlati Sonatas and Handel Suites that were mentioned earlier. A person really ought to have at least these three disks in their collection.

Ryan
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums