Chord notation symbols

Posted by: Samejame

Chord notation symbols - 03/25/02 08:35 AM

Does anyone know of a good online reference for chord notation symbols. One of my kids, in an improv. lesson, was given a fake chart of Glen Miller's "In The Mood" to work on, and the chart features a chord marked "G#", and I believe the small o means diminished, which I think means to flatten the perfect fifth of the triad by a semitone, but not sure, any takers?

I've been to the pianoworld chord chart, but it doesn't feature this symbol, and doesn't have diminished chords in it's chord references.

Jamie
Posted by: RKVS1

Re: Chord notation symbols - 03/25/02 09:35 AM

RIcciAdams Chord Calculator page

Ricci Adams has been mentioned before and is a pretty good site. He uses the diminished symbol you mentioned.

a previous discussion in PianoWorld Archieves with MusicTheoryLinks

You posted in the thread above, Samejame, but here it is again anyway.

[ March 25, 2002: Message edited by: RKVS1 ]
Dr Blood's chord explaination page

This site was one of those mentioned in the thread above. The link in that thread, however, deadended, while this one works.

[ March 25, 2002: Message edited by: RKVS1 ]
Posted by: Lindsay

Re: Chord notation symbols - 03/25/02 06:17 PM

The "o" symbol does mean "diminished", but the 3rd AND 5th get flatted by a half-tone each. The symbols regularly used are fairly simple, it's just a matter of learning them. Any quick reference is all you'll need to pick them up in short order.

The only other symbols used that may cause confusion are "-" for "minor" (flatting the 3rd) and "+" for sharping the 5th.

You may also see "T" denoting a "triad", because in jazz, it is usually assumed that all chords are played with the 7th by default.