Best recording for Clair de lune?

Posted by: Skriabin

Best recording for Clair de lune? - 01/08/06 05:11 PM

What's the best recording of this piece. I think there is one by Van Cliburn, but not a lot of great pianist's like Horowitz or Richter recorded this song.
Posted by: iamcanadian

Re: Best recording for Clair de lune? - 01/08/06 05:15 PM

Richter did record clair de lune

Have a listen: Link
Posted by: matthewpiano

Re: Best recording for Clair de lune? - 01/08/06 06:10 PM

Try Kathryn Stott or Martin Jones.

I don't know whether Gieseking recorded it but he was a superb Debussy player so it might be worth finding out.
Posted by: pianojerome

Re: Best recording for Clair de lune? - 01/08/06 08:10 PM

Gieseking recorded all of Debussy's piano music. It's available on CD.
Posted by: Derulux

Re: Best recording for Clair de lune? - 01/08/06 08:21 PM

Personally, I like Victor Borge's...but you really have to dig to find him playing the entire thing straight. It is out there, though, and the recording I listened to was brilliant. \:\)
Posted by: packa

Re: Best recording for Clair de lune? - 01/08/06 08:55 PM

You might also look for recordings of Suite Bergamasque, of which Clair de Lune is the 3rd movement.

Folks have already pointed out Gieseking and Richter, but Thibaudet has also recorded all of Debussy, including this work. A quick check of ArkivMusic shows a number of other recordings: Ciccolini, Pascal Roge, Klára Körmendi, François-Joël Thiollier and quite a few others.

Incidentally, if you have never looked at the web site for ArkivMusic ( www.arkivmusic.com ) , they have an excellent browsing tool for tracking down all the different performances of a particular work (as well as a lot of other nifty search features).
Posted by: pianistcomposer

Re: Best recording for Clair de lune? - 01/08/06 11:50 PM

My two very favorites are Leon Fleisher's on his new "Two Hands" CD and Shura Cherkassky on one of his Quicksilva-label CDs. They're very different from one-another, but both are just beautiful.
Posted by: matthewpiano

Re: Best recording for Clair de lune? - 01/09/06 07:01 AM

Also Martino Tirimo - a very fine Debussy interpreter.
Posted by: Cy Shuster, RPT

Re: Best recording for Clair de lune? - 01/09/06 05:14 PM

Victor Borge played it for his 80th birthday concert at Wolftrap, which should be available on videotape.

--Cy--
Posted by: TheMadMan86

Re: Best recording for Clair de lune? - 01/09/06 05:23 PM

the best recording would be mine
if i could record it
Posted by: Sostenuto1016

Re: Best recording for Clair de lune? - 01/09/06 08:50 PM

The "evening piano" CD has a good recording. That's the CD I use for this song.

-The T
Posted by: Hofmanniac

Re: Best recording for Clair de lune? - 01/10/06 10:16 PM

Based on all the versions I've heard, I would have to say Hofmann. It is very different from how most pianists play it, sweet and unsentimental, but it has the most magical tone I've ever heard and moves me greatly.
Posted by: GoldenAgeOfPiano

Re: Best recording for Clair de lune? - 01/11/06 05:13 PM

I was delighted to hear Hofmanniac mention Hofmann's Clair de Lune. I was stunned when I first heard it and still am. Beautiful, unaffected playing. Very different than what we're used to...

FYI, this is my first post and am happy to be a part of this forum.