My Chopin Nocturne Op. No. 48

Posted by: TheMadMan86

My Chopin Nocturne Op. No. 48 - 11/14/07 10:39 AM

Here is my video of me playing the C minor nocturne by Chopin. I apologize for the mistakes, my dog kept running in and out. I eventually gave up. If the reactions are good, I will re record this on a better piano, a grand I hope. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxwPB2RSIJI
Posted by: cruiser

Re: My Chopin Nocturne Op. No. 48 - 11/14/07 10:42 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing your video but... where's the link? \:\)

In the meantime, have you seen this thread?

Re: My Chopin Nocturne Op. No. 48 - 11/14/07 10:47 AM

Edited my post link is there sorry about that. Thanks for the link. I am no adult beginner, but im sure there are things I can learn from the post. I learned the Nocturne in a Month when I was 17, I am 21 in the video. It my favorite piece, and I try to keep it in my recital programs even when im busy with many other pieces.
Posted by: Max W

Re: My Chopin Nocturne Op. No. 48 - 11/14/07 12:37 PM

You're very assertive with your interpretation, good job.
Posted by: L'echange

Re: My Chopin Nocturne Op. No. 48 - 11/14/07 01:01 PM

I haven't listened to this piece for a long while, and I really enjoyed it! Thanks for getting me back into it... it's so beautiful. I think you have a very nice pace and feeling, and for the piano and recording quality, I was suprised with your sound.

Good Job!
Posted by: Robert Kenessy

Re: My Chopin Nocturne Op. No. 48 - 11/14/07 03:44 PM

Great, I especially liked the agitato/doppio movimento where I love the balance between the melody and the restless hammering (If you allow me this rather Bartókian

If I may say what I would play differently, it is the first section, where I would refrain from any rubato. It is a funeral march after all, and you can't march (and bear a casket) to a wiggly rhythm.
Posted by: BruceD

Re: My Chopin Nocturne Op. No. 48 - 11/14/07 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Kenessey:
If I may say what I would play differently, it is the first section, where I would refrain from any rubato. It is a funeral march after all, and you can't march (and bear a casket) to a wiggly rhythm. [/b]
I have never thought of the opening section of this Nocturne as a funeral march, for me the melody is too much in the lyrical bel canto style with its wide-spread and embellished theme to lend itself - definitevly - to being considered a funeral march. I have never seen it refered to as such in anything I have read about this Nocturne.

That is not to say that one shouldn't consider it as a funeral march if that is how one sees it, but I certainly don't see it as such.

If there is anything march-like at all in this Nocturne, surely it's the second section, the first 14 measures of the poco più lento the C major section.

Regards,
Posted by: Peyton

Re: My Chopin Nocturne Op. No. 48 - 11/14/07 08:06 PM

Wow Jeffrey, that was excellent!

Re: My Chopin Nocturne Op. No. 48 - 11/15/07 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BruceD:
I have never thought of the opening section of this Nocturne as a funeral march, for me the melody is too much in the lyrical bel canto style with its wide-spread and embellished theme to lend itself - definitevly - to being considered a funeral march. I have never seen it refered to as such in anything I have read about this Nocturne.

That is not to say that one shouldn't consider it as a funeral march if that is how one sees it, but I certainly don't see it as such.

If there is anything march-like at all in this Nocturne, surely it's the second section, the first 14 measures of the poco più lento the C major section.

Regards, [/b]
Interesting comment. To put my view clearer: I view the first section as a duet of a (funeral) march and a bel canto melody on top. Chopin wrote quite some funeral march-type sections and pieces, e.g. the fantasie op 49. His favortie Beethoven Sonata was one with a funeral march in it. One reference to this nocturne's start as a funeral march is by Angela Lear.

I think the più lento section is rather a chorale.

Re: My Chopin Nocturne Op. No. 48 - 11/16/07 10:03 AM

Thanks for the comments. The first section is a bel canto, tugging the other voices along. Second section definitely a chorale. while the third allows me to just go all out.

Re: My Chopin Nocturne Op. No. 48 - 11/16/07 10:18 AM

OK, I agree the main feature of the first section is the Bel canto melody. But is there a chance you might be willing to consider, if only for a second, that the LH accompaniment of this section is 'march-like'?

LH accompaniments come in different forms: chords, arpeggated chords, waltz-type broken chords, alberti basses , scalar runs (Revolutionary étude, and later sections in the fourth ballade). Could the LH accompaniment of the start of this Nocturne be 'march-like'? I think yes.
Play the section without the RH melody and give the thought a chance.

Re: My Chopin Nocturne Op. No. 48 - 11/16/07 10:29 AM

For me its a preference thing. When I first learned the piece about 2-3 years ago. I considered a march like feel. I did not like it when I played it. Not saying it was wrong, saying it was wrong for me. For me the piece is building, the pui lento is more intense then first section.
Posted by: LisztAddict

Re: My Chopin Nocturne Op. No. 48 - 11/16/07 11:17 AM

I agree with Robert on the march-like LH in the first section. It feels like stepping with left foot, right foot, left foot, right foot, etc.

Re: My Chopin Nocturne Op. No. 48 - 11/17/07 03:53 AM

I can definitely see where your coming from with the march idea, but for me it just does not really fit the feel of a nocturne. Now I know there are things written on Chopin that says the left had is very steady and the right hand flowed in and out of that. But I am not Chopin. Not to say Chopin did not know what he was doing. My interpretation of this nocturne does not involve a march. A nocturne does not even register a march for me.

I am just defending my own interpretation. I do not mean to say anyone is wrong, because I have learned there are so many different interpretations. What works for me will not work for others. For me this piece is about sensuality. I would not march in that setting. I let things happen naturally.
Posted by: Bassio

Re: My Chopin Nocturne Op. No. 48 - 11/17/07 03:14 PM

This is a very nice rendition. I also liked how you played the agitato part.

These large chords towards the end look very difficult. And I thought of playing this one time myself
Posted by: cruiser

Re: My Chopin Nocturne Op. No. 48 - 11/17/07 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Celt:
I'm looking forward to seeing your video but... where's the link? \:\)

In the meantime, have you seen this thread? [/b]
I've seen your video and your effort is very commendable, if I may say so , as someone who's struggling to learn this masterpiece \:\)