Bear Necessities

Posted by: Anonymous

Bear Necessities - 01/17/02 10:44 AM

Hi,

I'm looking for the score for the song "Bear Necessities" (yes, yes, the one from the Disney movie \:\) ).
I have loved this song since I'm seven and would really like to (be able to)play it.

Does anyone know if it is available on any of the free sheetmusic sites?

Thanks for your help,
Nici
Posted by: AnneH

Re: Bear Necessities - 01/17/02 11:44 AM

Hi Nici,

I am sorry to say that Disney has a lock on copyrights to movie scores and related items, so you probably will not be able to find it for free. There are many sites that sell the scores from the "Jungle Book" such as www.encoremusic.com.

Anne

B.T.W. I am now sitting at my desk humming the melody.... \:D
Posted by: Penny

Re: Bear Necessities - 01/17/02 02:10 PM

Hal Leonard is the publisher. You can get info from their web site.

penny

p.s. But everyone KNOWS that Louie Prima's "I Wan'na Be Like You" is the best song from that movie! ;\)

[ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: Penny ]
Posted by: Samejame

Re: Bear Necessities - 01/17/02 02:12 PM

Nici,

Ann's right. No freebies on this one. It's not in the public domain, as they say, so you won't find it (legally) on the web, unless you pay for it. We have a Disney songbook at home which features this tune. Has the vocal line and lyrics over the piano part, like alot of song books. I think we paid about $Can 20.00 for it. They have these Disney songbooks at most music stores selling sheet music, and they are available in various playing levels. I think it's a Hal Leonard publication. They are in Europe, as I saw one for The Little Mermaid in a music store in Gdansk last fall, so hopefully, you'll find one near you.

I am at work now, but when I go home, I can confirm the publisher (unless some keener here beats me to it) and post it later.

This is one of those songs that's infectious. Once you hear it, or even think about it, you can't get the tune out of your head. There's also a song I like from this movie that if I remember correctly is a parody on Louis Armstrong, sung by the "King Louie" character in the movie, with an equally infectious beat and melody. I think it's called "I Wanna Be Like You".

Jamie

Re: Bear Necessities - 01/17/02 02:16 PM

to Jamie:

Jinx!

penny \:D
Posted by: ChemicalGrl

Re: Bear Necessities - 01/17/02 10:15 PM

I'm not sure if this book is still in print, but you can certainly see if it's still available. (One would think it might be, considering Disney's 100th birthday celebration of Walt Disney's life ...)

Anyway, the book's title is The Illustrated Trasure of Disney Songs, no editor listed, co-published in 1993 by Hyperion (New York) and Hal Leonard Publishing Corp. (Milwaukee), ISBN 1-56282-743-X

Give this a go. It contains most of the Disney songs from various animated and action films, and of course, The Bare Necessities is one of the songs included here. It was given to me as a gift when the book first came out (an ex- of mine) but the person had forgotten to remove the price tag, ho hum. It went for US$35.00 back in '94. I wonder what it would go for now ...

Hope this helps ...

Lyn

ps: Now you've done it!!! I cannot get this song out of my mind!!!

(j/k! \:\) \:\) \:\) )
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Bear Necessities - 01/18/02 02:29 AM

Thanks for all the valuable information. I will certainly check out today at my local music store if any of the books mentioned is (still) available.

And, well I may have gotten all of you humming the Bear Necessities \:D but I'm now humming King Louie's song...
Guess, I have to get that one as well \:D .

Re: Bear Necessities - 01/18/02 09:26 AM

Nici,

I just went into the Hal Leonard website. It's loaded with songbooks for titles from The Jungle Book. You can order direct from the site.
Here's a link:
Hal Leonard Website

Hope this helps.

Jamie

PS - Penny, I'll jinx ya again. What was that song the two vultures sang near the end of the movie - I think it was a Beatles Parody?

Re: Bear Necessities - 01/18/02 04:32 PM

Jamie,
I cheated and watched it! Don't know the name, though they sing, "We're your friends 'til the bitter end," so that could be the name. Don't know if it's a Beatles parody. Sounded more like a barbershop quartet. Unless there was another song after Sher-khan attacks Baloo (I had to go stir a pot of soup on the stove and wasn't expecting more singing).

penny

Re: Bear Necessities - 01/21/02 10:49 AM

Penny you're right. It's their speaking accents and actions that mimic the Beatles, not the song.

Jamie