Piano World Home Page
Posted By: magnezium Auditioning - 02/03/02 02:11 PM
I had to audition for someone to teach me today. So I practised pretty much the whole day, since I only found out about the audition in the morning, and by the time I had to leave for my teacher's house I had the down perfectly and I was rather confident. But when it came to the actual audition, my playing was the worst thing I had ever heard. Tons of missed notes, wrong notes, wrong timings, incorrect dynamics and everything else that could screw up. It was a miracle that the teacher did actually decide to take me on as a student.

I'm just puzzled as to why I played so badly... was it the nervousness? maybe the different piano? I don't know... do you guys have any tips on this kind of thing?
Posted By: JS Re: Auditioning - 02/03/02 07:28 PM
My advice would be to not play any audition on a day's notice. If you'll read the other thread on this topic, you'll notice some very good suggestions, most of which involve time.

So...next time someone says "come play an audition tomorrow" - say "I'm not really prepared to play on such short notice, but I'd be happy to come in next week..."
Posted By: Dan Re: Auditioning - 02/03/02 11:54 PM
Hi magnezium,

Of course you were nervous! Who wouldn't be? You wanted to be accepted as a student. You had to play on short notice. The teacher was judging you on everything! You musical ability, your prior teacher(s), your practice methodology, even your music selection. If that doesn't give even the most polished performer a case of nerves, I don't know what would.

But NOW, you've been accepted. Now the pressure shifts to your teacher. You shouldn't EVER be nervous again to perform for him. The teacher is now your employee. If he can't teach you, you can find another teacher. So relax while playing during your lessons and you'll get the most from the money you're spending.

Regards,
Dan
Posted By: magnezium Re: Auditioning - 02/07/02 01:13 PM
Big thank you for all the kind words...

I guess I thought I could handle the time frame because I only had to play one piece and I just picked something that I'd been practising for a week and polished it up a little. It was quite a technically simple piece actually. But I guess I should still leave more time for such things in future.

As for the nervousness... yeah I think this is probably the main reason. Guess I've got to somehow find a way of reducing it. I really shivered while I was playing that day... sigh.

Anyway, my first lesson with my new teacher is in 2 days!! I'm so excited!! haha... laugh
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums