Painting my nails

Posted by: Anonymous

Painting my nails - 03/17/07 06:23 PM

Is it an unspoken rule that pianists should not paint their nails? I haven't ever actually heard someone say that it is a bad thing to do, I just noticed that it's a thing serious pianists just DON'T do. Why is that? If I keep my nails short and trimmed, but paint them, what would be a problem with that?
I sort of got the hint that I shouldn't paint my nails, so I don't.
It is too distracting?
Posted by: -Frycek

Re: Painting my nails - 03/17/07 07:23 PM

It would probably just chip off so fast it wouldn't be worth the trouble.
Posted by: tomasino

Re: Painting my nails - 03/17/07 10:39 PM

Long nails go with painted nails. Short nails don't. It's probably more difficult to play well with long nails. So there is a practical reason behind "the hint" that you shouldn't paint your nails.

Tomasino
Posted by: op30no3

Re: Painting my nails - 03/17/07 10:55 PM

I just don't like painted nails... ;\)
Posted by: SilentKoala

Re: Painting my nails - 03/18/07 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Clara Schumann:
If I keep my nails short and trimmed, but paint them, what would be a problem with that?[/b]
It would look funny?
Posted by: PoStTeNeBrAsLuX

Re: Painting my nails - 03/18/07 05:21 AM

ClaraS,

I have one possible solution: if you feel the absolute need for ungual self-expression, then just paint your toe-nails and play only in sandals from now on. But please keep in mind that even this would have to change if you took up playing the organ. \:\)

-Michael B.
Posted by: apple*

Re: Painting my nails - 03/18/07 11:50 AM

i love painting my nails for special occasions. Bright red on short nails look awesome.. it only lasts thru the playing and is hard to remove but i love how the twinkles of color trip along thru the black and white keys.
Posted by: virtuosic1

Re: Painting my nails - 03/18/07 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by apple*:
i love painting my nails for special occasions. Bright red on short nails look awesome.. it only lasts thru the playing and is hard to remove but i love how the twinkles of color trip along thru the black and white keys. [/b]
How about painting your nails white and black? W B W B W W B W B W ? You can even devise a new system of color-coordinated fingering; white nailed fingers on white keys only, black nailed fingers on black keys only, then paint them the opposite colors the next time you did your nails?

\:\)
Posted by: Euphonatrix

Re: Painting my nails - 03/18/07 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by virtuosic1

How about painting your nails white and black? [/b]
this would be piano camouflage ...
Posted by: apple*

Re: Painting my nails - 03/18/07 12:45 PM

that's a cute idea

Re: Painting my nails - 03/18/07 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Euphonatrix:
 Quote:

this would be piano camouflage ... [/b]
Almost. Painting her fingers black and white and her hands, wrists, and forearms the color of the piano would be camoflague. \:D

However, on a positive and practical note, if she did do that, she could still paint her nails her favorite shade of ruby red. ;\)

Regardless of the program, I would go to her concert just to see that.

Re: Painting my nails - 03/18/07 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by virtuosic1:
 Quote:
 Quote:

Almost. Painting her fingers black and white and her hands, wrists, and forearms the color of the piano would be camoflague. \:D

However, on a positive and practical note, if she did do that, she could still paint her nails her favorite shade of ruby red. ;\)

Regardless of the program, I would go to her concert just to see that. [/b]
Um no thanks, virtuosic1. I'd rather not paint my arms or wrists. If you do it at your next performance, I will. heh heh ;\)

I do think red nails are the best though. They look so beautiful against the black and white! \:D

Re: Painting my nails - 03/18/07 07:25 PM

Quote:
 Quote:
 Quote:
quote:

Regardless of the program, I would go to her concert just to see that. [/b]
Um no thanks, virtuosic1. I'd rather not paint my arms or wrists. If you do it at your next performance, I will. heh heh ;\)

I do think red nails are the best though. They look so beautiful against the black and white! \:D

I'm a sucker for red nails. Can you please post a picture of your hands on the keyboard to not only give us a better idea of what we're talking about here, but also for pianistic inspiration?

You may start an entire new trend and have everybody painting their nails on this Forum, both women and men. \:D

I know loads of pianists that would paint thier nails red with purple polka dots if it made them a better musician in the process. ;\)

Re: Painting my nails - 03/18/07 07:29 PM

I'd take a pic of my hands right now, if they didn't have cat scratches on them. :p

So you want my nails to be painted in the photo?

Re: Painting my nails - 03/18/07 08:12 PM

Quote:
I'd take a pic of my hands right now, if they didn't have cat scratches on them. :p

So you want my nails to be painted in the photo? [/b]
But of course. That's the whole point. We need to see exhibit A, the painted nails, if we're going to render a responsible verdict. We'll make careful note of the exact placement and patterns of the cat scratches, to positively identify the hands as yours for future reference.

Re: Painting my nails - 03/18/07 09:13 PM

Quote:
 Quote:

But of course. That's the whole point. We need to see exhibit A, the painted nails, if we're going to render a responsible verdict. We'll make careful note of the exact placement and patterns of the cat scratches, to positively identify the hands as yours for future reference. [/b]
So you'll tell me if my hands are nice enough to paint my nails, hmmm?
I think they are. *haughty sniff* :p
Posted by: playadom

Re: Painting my nails - 03/18/07 09:23 PM

Quote:
 Quote:
 Quote:

But of course. That's the whole point. We need to see exhibit A, the painted nails, if we're going to render a responsible verdict. We'll make careful note of the exact placement and patterns of the cat scratches, to positively identify the hands as yours for future reference. [/b]
So you'll tell me if my hands are nice enough to paint my nails, hmmm?
I think they are. *haughty sniff* :p [/b]
You just post a photo, and we'll boost up your self-esteem.

That gives me an idea.
Maybe we should all post our hands in action. At the next recital, instead of showing names, we show hands, and let everyone guess!

brojek.
Posted by: IvorySpeaks

Re: Painting my nails - 03/18/07 09:57 PM

I stopped painting my nails when the lovely polish left streaks on my fallboard. I certainly didn't intend to flick against the fallboard but there they were in all their pink glory. There they still sit several years because I'm too chicken to use forceful rubbing to try and remove the polish streaks. If I must use polish now, I use clear.
/IS
Posted by: Pianos_N_Cheezecake

Re: Painting my nails - 03/19/07 12:40 AM

I totally paint my nails all the time. Trim em' and paint them. They look so pretty against the ivory keys!

Re: Painting my nails - 03/19/07 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by IvorySpeaks:
[QB] I stopped painting my nails when the lovely polish left streaks on my fallboard.
Get rid of the fallboard, thereby eliminating the polish streaks and eliminating any residual build-up of tension in your hands when using repeated elbow/wrist rotation in pieces that have large leaps.
Posted by: argerichfan

Re: Painting my nails - 03/19/07 10:26 AM

Quote:
You may start an entire new trend and have everybody painting their nails on this Forum, both women and men. \:D
Don't hold your breath... \:\)

Re: Painting my nails - 03/19/07 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by argerichfan:
 Quote:
Don't hold your breath... \:\) [/b]
What if playing with brightly hued, crimson nails enabled you to play like the wind, as if the Angel of blessed acceleration was sitting beside you, blowing across the keyboard as you played?
Posted by: argerichfan

Re: Painting my nails - 03/19/07 10:48 AM

Quote:
What if playing with brightly hued, crimson nails enabled you to play like the wind, as if the Angel of blessed acceleration was sitting beside you, blowing across the keyboard as you played?
Blimey, count me in then... \:D

Re: Painting my nails - 03/19/07 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by argerichfan:
 Quote:
Blimey, count me in then... \:D [/b]
Allrighty then. ;\) Maybe Clara's on to something here. Could start a new trend. The power of suggestion and all. Mass hypnosis. You'll be able to identify pianists on the street by their bright crimson nails.

Re: Painting my nails - 03/19/07 11:06 AM

Quote:
Allrighty then. ;\) Maybe Clara's on to something here. Could start a new trend. The power of suggestion and all. Mass hypnosis. You'll be able to identify pianists on the street by their bright crimson nails. [/b]
Then it will be easier to round them up and get them in the camps. \:D

Re: Painting my nails - 03/19/07 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SilentKoala:
 Quote:
Allrighty then. ;\) Maybe Clara's on to something here. Could start a new trend. The power of suggestion and all. Mass hypnosis. You'll be able to identify pianists on the street by their bright crimson nails. [/b]
Then it will be easier to round them up and get them in the camps. \:D [/b]
along with the innocent hookers mistakenly rounded up in the sweep. Sometimes the innocent must be sacrificed to punish the guilty. \:D

Re: Painting my nails - 03/19/07 01:28 PM

Quote:
 Quote:
 Quote:
Then it will be easier to round them up and get them in the camps. \:D [/b]
along with the innocent hookers mistakenly rounded up in the sweep. Sometimes the innocent must be sacrificed to punish the guilty. \:D [/b]
You are silly. \:\)
I don't think many guys would paint their nails.

But now I don't feel as badly about painting my nails glorious, beautiful red! Yay! \:D

Re: Painting my nails - 03/19/07 01:31 PM

Quote:
along with the innocent hookers mistakenly rounded up in the sweep. Sometimes the innocent must be sacrificed to punish the guilty. \:D [/b]

"innocent hookers"? I beg to differ.

Re: Painting my nails - 03/19/07 04:48 PM

Quote:
 Quote:

"innocent hookers"? I beg to differ. [/b]
Hold on there, Clara. Enough talk about curb-crawlers. Let's get back to the subject at hand. Your red nails. Are we ever going to see a picture of those hands, nails ablaze in glorious red, fingers flailing away, sensually tickling the sweet spots of those lucky ivories?

Re: Painting my nails - 03/20/07 04:04 AM

lol, virtuosic1, check your PM's!

Re: Painting my nails - 03/20/07 04:20 AM

Quote:
Somebody doesn't know how to recognize a joke...

Re: Painting my nails - 03/20/07 09:34 AM

Quote:
 Quote:
Somebody doesn't know how to recognize a joke... [/b]
Looks like we're both broadcasting on the same wavelength. ;\)
Posted by: Frank_W

Re: Painting my nails - 03/20/07 10:46 AM

I can recognize a joke: Me, sitting at the piano! \:D

Re: Painting my nails - 03/20/07 02:12 PM

Well they're not painted right NOW. Wait until Spring Break! ;\) :p

Re: Painting my nails - 03/20/07 02:18 PM

Quote:
Well they're not painted right NOW. Wait until Spring Break! ;\) :p [/b]
Are you heading to South Beach or Lake Havasu to whoop it up during Spring Break and get your "Pianists with painted nails Gone Wild" T-shirt? Or will you be whooping it up and running wild, painted nails flying in the breeze, on the frozen tundra of the Pacific Northwest? \:\)

Re: Painting my nails - 03/20/07 02:26 PM

Quote:
Spring Break? I thought you were homeschooled.

Re: Painting my nails - 03/20/07 02:37 PM

Quote:
 Quote:
Spring Break? I thought you were homeschooled. [/b]
Are you kidding? Clara's bursting at the seams, ready to hit the road pumping and blaze new trails during Spring Break. They'll be talking in hushed tones about this for years to come. She'll be an urban legend in her home town. \:\)
Posted by: playadom

Re: Painting my nails - 03/20/07 04:47 PM

Quote:
Wait a minute... My spring break is over. Does this mean that I don't get to see any action?

brojek.

Re: Painting my nails - 03/20/07 04:52 PM

Quote:
 Quote:
 Quote:
Are you kidding? Clara's bursting at the seams, ready to hit the road pumping and blaze new trails during Spring Break. They'll be talking in hushed tones about this for years to come. She'll be an urban legend in her home town. \:\) [/b]
You should write a book!
Seriously...

Re: Painting my nails - 03/20/07 05:20 PM

Quote:
 Quote:
 Quote:
quote:
Are you kidding? Clara's bursting at the seams, ready to hit the road pumping and blaze new trails during Spring Break. They'll be talking in hushed tones about this for years to come. She'll be an urban legend in her home town. \:\) [/b]
You should write a book!
Seriously...

It's settled then. I'll be your biographer. This way, in the future, when they have your exhibit, an entire wing dedicated to you in the Smithsonian, they can sell my book in the gift shop, "Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Clara Schumann..... And Then Some".

Re: Painting my nails - 03/20/07 05:26 PM

Quote:
 Quote:
 Quote:
quote:
quote:
You should write a book!
Seriously...

It's settled then. I'll be your biographer. This way, in the future, when they have your exhibit, an entire wing dedicated to you in the Smithsonian, they can sell my book in the gift shop, "Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Clara Schumann..... And Then Some".

Are you sure the museum audience is the best target market for something that would (obviously) be a work of satire?

Re: Painting my nails - 03/20/07 05:44 PM

Re: Painting my nails - 03/20/07 06:03 PM

I think a better title would be "What's black and white and red all over?" \:D

Even though the real answer is a nun falling down the stairs, in this case it would be clara schumann's nails while playing the piano...

Re: Painting my nails - 03/20/07 06:14 PM

Quote:
I think a better title would be "What's black and white and red all over?" \:D

Even though the real answer is a nun falling down the stairs, in this case it would be clara schumann's nails while playing the piano... [/b]
It would be her keyboard. \:\)

Where did she go? There's an entire hotly debated thread here about her and she's off somewhere powdering her nose? In the music biz, you have to strike while the iron is hot. The public wants Clara right now. Timing is everything.

Re: Painting my nails - 03/20/07 08:52 PM

This thread is absolutely hilarious \:D Keep it up; I look forward to reading this juicy biography.
Posted by: BruceD

Re: Painting my nails - 03/20/07 08:57 PM

Is there a moderator in the house to bring this nonsense to a close?

Re: Painting my nails - 03/20/07 09:03 PM

Quote:
It would be her keyboard. \:\) [/b]
Speaking of keyboards, I'm now holding you personally responsible for me spitting coke all over my computer keyboard after having read that...

Re: Painting my nails - 03/20/07 09:23 PM

Okay! I am here! You guys are totally crazy.

C'est tres interessant, monsieurs.

Honestly, you wouldn't want to write a book about me. I am very boring.

I always thought it was a nun in a blender...

Re: Painting my nails - 03/20/07 09:25 PM

Quote:
Honestly, you wouldn't want to write a book about me. I am very boring.[/b]
Had you recognized the satire for what it was, you'd come to realize that's a redundant statement.

Re: Painting my nails - 03/20/07 09:46 PM

Quote:
 Quote:
Had you recognized the satire for what it was, you'd come to realize that's a redundant statement. [/b]
I'd say that it is pretty obvious that she knows that virtuosic1 is kidding, though I think "satire" is the wrong word. I don't know your intentions, but that sounds pretty condescending, and does not contribute to either the original topic nor the much-in-demand biography of our heroine.

Re: Painting my nails - 03/20/07 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by op30no3:
I'd say that it is pretty obvious that she knows that virtuosic1 is kidding, though I think "satire" is the wrong word. I don't know your intentions, but that sounds pretty condescending, and does not contribute to either the original topic nor the much-in-demand biography of our heroine. [/b]
Lighten up. \:\) I visited the site in your sig, just thought I'd let you know. It's a pretty good site. Thanks for providing the link!

Re: Painting my nails - 03/20/07 10:05 PM

Hey-- glad you visited the site. I try to go every day. And hey, I'll lighten up if you will. ;\)

Re: Painting my nails - 03/20/07 10:09 PM

Quote:
Hey-- glad you visited the site. I try to go every day. [/b]
I thought it was cool how they have an animal rescue section in addition. Do you watch the show Animal Cops?

Re: Painting my nails - 03/20/07 10:09 PM

Quote:
 Quote:
 Quote:
Had you recognized the satire for what it was, you'd come to realize that's a redundant statement. [/b]
I'd say that it is pretty obvious that she knows that virtuosic1 is kidding, though I think "satire" is the wrong word. I don't know your intentions, but that sounds pretty condescending, and does not contribute to either the original topic nor the much-in-demand biography of our heroine. [/b]
Thank you so much! \:D

Re: Painting my nails - 03/20/07 10:11 PM

See, now look what you did, you boosted her self-esteem. Nice going. \:D

Re: Painting my nails - 03/20/07 10:15 PM

Ok, now we can all be nice. \:\)

Clara- you're welcome, as always. ;\)

SK- I've just flipped through the show, but I remember it had some pretty sad stories. That site has a lot of good causes on it advertised all over the page.

Righto, back to topic: Painting Schumann's nails. \:D

Re: Painting my nails - 03/20/07 10:18 PM

Cool... so I need your opinion on an ethical dilemma I have. I'm thinking about getting a cat declawed, so I can keep it in my apartment where I have leather furnature. Do you think that is cruel/wrong? Keep in mind I would only keep it indoors (I woul have to to hide it from the landlord) so he will never be outside, and therefore won't *need* his natural defenses anyway.
Posted by: BDB

Re: Painting my nails - 03/20/07 11:36 PM

By the way, are these rib-crowned nails, or compression-crowned nails?
Posted by: Codetta

Re: Painting my nails - 03/21/07 01:59 AM

To bring it back to the original:

I don't paint my nails, nor do I encourage my students to paint their's either for the simple reason that it can be a distraction. I wear my short, unpainted nails as a badge of honor.
Posted by: SongOp.1

Re: Painting my nails - 06/22/11 02:00 PM

Going back on topic...
...I participated in a masterclass by Min Kwon and I remember that her nails were painted with purple nail polish. So, if an accomplished concert pianist like her paints her nails, I suppose it's okay.
Posted by: Mark_C

Re: Painting my nails - 06/22/11 02:01 PM

Originally Posted By: SongOp.1
Going back on topic....

How can one 'go back' when we weren't anywhere? ha

BTW, how did you find this? That would be more interesting than the thread itself -- did you search "nails"? grin
Posted by: Pogorelich.

Re: Painting my nails - 06/22/11 02:30 PM

I'd love to be able to have long painted nails...... but I don't. Instead I have my toenails pained all the time (not long though haha). It ranges from pink to purple or crimson red... once I painted them lime green too. It's awesome.
Posted by: PaulaPiano34

Re: Painting my nails - 06/22/11 02:36 PM

I paint my nails clear. One of my old piano teachers painted her nails neon green.
Posted by: BruceD

Re: Painting my nails - 06/22/11 02:55 PM

Another four-year old thread revived for no apparent reason ....
Posted by: pianojerome

Re: Painting my nails - 06/22/11 03:03 PM

I don't paint my nails, but I do try to paint beautiful tone pictures when I play the piano. Maybe I shouldn't bother with that, either; many professional pianists don't.
Posted by: Damon

Re: Painting my nails - 06/22/11 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: BruceD
Another four-year old thread revived for no apparent reason ....

laugh You disapproved of it four years ago, too! You are certainly consistent in your grumpiness. smile
Posted by: BadOrange

Re: Painting my nails - 06/22/11 05:40 PM

don't see the issue. If someone is taking offence at your nails, they are some serious issues. People are just insane aren't they.
Posted by: chercherchopin

Re: Painting my nails - 06/22/11 05:46 PM

Who was the creator of the thread? Was it possible at that time to post anonymously or without being a registered member?