Learning new pieces

Posted by: CarolinaSprings1

Learning new pieces - 09/21/01 12:01 AM

Hi,

I'm just starting Grade 10 piano (Canadian system) and I am faced with some really challenging pieces (Brahms Intermezzo Op. 118 No. 2, Beethoven Op. 10 No.3, Albeniz Sernata Espanola Op. 181, etc.) I'd like to know how to approach more difficult pieces. I'd like to get off on the right foot and not rush and make mistakes that will hinder future performances. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Posted by: BruceD

Re: Learning new pieces - 09/21/01 07:51 AM

Apart from the gratuitous advice you may solicit - and will get! - here, what does your teacher say about approaching new pieces?
Posted by: CarolinaSprings1

Re: Learning new pieces - 09/23/01 02:01 PM

Well, I just got a new teacher and she hasn't said much. My old teachers told me to do "SLOW" practice in sections. I find that really tedious and I like to see results quickly which I guess isn't very good in something like playing the piano.
Posted by: ChemicalGrl

Re: Learning new pieces - 09/23/01 02:34 PM

Indeed, slow practice might seem tedious at the time, but oh, look at the results when you work through a piece slowly, master it in sections at a time, and then put it all together. It's very rewarding indeed when you master that difficult piece that way. At least for me, I find a lot of satisfaction from that.

I forgot who it was, in the other thread, recommending getting Sibelius' piano solos. I'm working on one of the impromptus and having fun with that. There are a couple of places where I'd have to reach and octave and a third, and my fingers just don't stretch out that far but despite that, I'm enjoying myself and can't wait until I master that piece.