PIANO Sheet Music for Bach's Prelude, Fugue, and Allegro (BWV 998)?

Posted by: mr_bubb

PIANO Sheet Music for Bach's Prelude, Fugue, and Allegro (BWV 998)? - 09/06/04 07:31 AM

I've always wanted to learn Bach's Prelude, Fugue, and Allegro (BWV 998), which usually shows up in the lute or guitar repertoire, but may have been written for a lute-harpsichord. In any case, harpsichordists such as Kenneth Gilbert have recorded it. A score for keyboard seems difficult to find, however. Does anybody have a pointer to it? Thanks.
Posted by: BruceD

Re: PIANO Sheet Music for Bach's Prelude, Fugue, and Allegro (BWV 998)? - 09/06/04 11:05 AM

Mr_Bubb

I have an old edition of Bach Piano Compositions, Volume II: Larger Compositions edited by Ebenezer Prout and published by Oliver Diston company, Boston, 1908.

This was in the days before BWV listings, but the last composition in the book is : "Prelude, Fugue and Allegro in E flat". In the notes to the works Prout states about this work: "At the begining the autograph bears the title Prelude pour le Luth ou Cembal (Prelude for the Lute or Harpsichord). This is the explanation of the fact that throughout the whole work the music is never written higher than E flat on the fourth space of the treble staff. the Prelude has much resemblance in its character to that in the same key in the second book of the Wohltemperirtes Clavier. The melodious fugue which follows is noteworthy for the very free treatment of its middle portion (bars 29 to 77), and also for the fact that the concluding section is identical with the first part, - an extremely rare thing with Bach's fugues, though by no means uncommon in his preludes."

Do you think this is the work in question?

Please feel free to EMail me at BDutton126@Comcast.net if you think I have "your" composition. I am quite sure we could work out a way to get a copy to you if you can find no other.

Regards,
Posted by: mound

Re: PIANO Sheet Music for Bach's Prelude, Fugue, and Allegro (BWV 998)? - 09/08/04 10:42 AM

this I'm sure will sound terribly naive, but what does "BWV" stand for? Bach Work Volume I suspect?
Posted by: BruceD

Re: PIANO Sheet Music for Bach's Prelude, Fugue, and Allegro (BWV 998)? - 09/08/04 02:47 PM

mound:

Not naive at all; if you don't know, you ask!

BWV = "Bach-Werke-Verzeichnis" followed by a number refers to the cataloguing of Bach's works by Wolfgang Schmeider (b. 1901) "Schmieder's extensive work in music bibliography and manuscript and source studies is dominated by his Bach-Werke-Verzeichnis, a basic tool for Bach research." (The New Grove, Vol. 16, p. 675)

Regards,
Posted by: mound

Re: PIANO Sheet Music for Bach's Prelude, Fugue, and Allegro (BWV 998)? - 09/10/04 06:54 AM

I see! Thanks \:\)