Franz Liszt: Hungarian Rhapsody #2

Posted by: CrashTest

Franz Liszt: Hungarian Rhapsody #2 - 06/23/01 07:56 PM

In Franz Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody #2,( in the capricioso, 2nd page) there are grace notes leading tothe notes of the treble and bass clef, I was wondering how I would play those graces, at the same time or separated? (They don't line up accordingly, but the notes they lead up to do). Also, does anybody know Beethoven's Pathetique (the score) well? I have some questions about some notes which looked tied but might be something also (slurs). Thanks for the help!
Posted by: BruceD

Re: Franz Liszt: Hungarian Rhapsody #2 - 06/24/01 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CrashTest:
In Franz Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody #2,( in the capricioso, 2nd page) there are grace notes leading tothe notes of the treble and bass clef, I was wondering how I would play those graces, at the same time or separated? (They don't line up accordingly, but the notes they lead up to do). . Thanks for the help![/b]

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "separated". I am inclined to start each group of grace notes in both the right and left hands at the same time. The important thing, of course, is that the notes on the second beat - the notes that the grace notes lead into - sound together and right on the beat.
What is your question about the Beethoven "Pathetique"?
Regards
Posted by: Brendan

Re: Franz Liszt: Hungarian Rhapsody #2 - 06/24/01 12:10 PM

The grace notes are played as pickup notes before the beat. Depending on what edition you are using (I assume that you have the Alfred edition, which I what I am currently looking at), there may be a very small eighth rest followed by a very small sixteenth rest in the l.h. just before the grace notes. To me, this indicates that they should be executed before the beat if Liszt appears to be filling out the whole beat before the grace notes.

I've played the Pathetique - what's your question?

Brendan
Posted by: CrashTest

Re: Franz Liszt: Hungarian Rhapsody #2 - 06/24/01 01:16 PM

Thanks for the help!
Concerning Pathetique, in the "Allegro con brio", (About measure 8) there is an E-G-C chord, which leads into an E-L-C chord, my question is, are the E's and C's tied; or slurred? It is hard to distingush, it sounds like it shouldn't be tied. Also, on the closing theme of the first part (If you have the Schirmer edition it tells you the themes), with the tremolo-like notes, (c-e with the higher e), are the first two upper E's tied, or is it a slur line? Thanks a lot for the help, sorry if my explanation seems a bit confusing!
Posted by: Brendan

Re: Franz Liszt: Hungarian Rhapsody #2 - 06/24/01 06:58 PM

Any line that extends from one note to the same note indicates a tie, so to answer your question, all of those notes are tied.
Posted by: BruceD

Re: Franz Liszt: Hungarian Rhapsody #2 - 06/25/01 07:45 AM

Brendan is right. There is no question that a tie from one note to the next of the same pitch indicates that the note is held. Hence in bar 8 of the "Allegro molto e con brio" the C and Eb are held. Make sure you do the same with the G octaves at bars 17-18, 21-22; hold the Eb from bar 28 into bar 29, while the Bb and Db resolve to a C, etc., etc. Just remember to never repeat a tied note.
Regards