Buying scores over the internet

Posted by: ***musical princess***

Buying scores over the internet - 07/02/05 09:19 AM

I've never bought anything over the internet before but there is some music i've been looking for and to order it into a shop is gonna be about £40. I found a website (sheetmusicplus.com) that has it for $19.95 and was wondering whether its safe to buy music scores over the internet from this site. Anybody else bought online?

x
Posted by: aznxk3vi17

Re: Buying scores over the internet - 07/02/05 09:46 AM

The internet is perfectly safe. Don't listen to all those stories about having your identity stolen (a la "The Net"), or having a credit card number stolen. As long as you're smart, and shop smart, you will not have any problems. Just make sure that sheetmusicplus does international orders (I don't see why they wouldn't).
Posted by: boomerpizza

Re: Buying scores over the internet - 07/02/05 09:49 AM

I've bought a few things from sheet music plus and it has all been great. No hassles or anything.
Posted by: pianojerome

Re: Buying scores over the internet - 07/02/05 10:58 AM

SheetMusicPlus is good. Amazon.com is also a very good source, but I'd go to SheetMusicPlus first.
Posted by: jazzyd

Re: Buying scores over the internet - 07/02/05 11:07 AM

MP,

Since you're in the UK, I'd recommend Sheetmusichound - particularly for obscure music. If it's in print, chances are they can get it for you, and the service is invariably very good.

David

Re: Buying scores over the internet - 07/02/05 12:35 PM

Hey guys, thanks for all your help.

Jazzyd:- I looked on theat site and it seems pretty good (postage costs are much friendlier!) but i was just wondering if you could help me with something. I was looking for Brahms piano quintet in f minor and the cheapest i've been able to find it is about $20 however this site has it for £3.50! Its a peters edition and i was just wonderin how that could possibly be right - it seems to good to be true!

x
Posted by: jazzyd

Re: Buying scores over the internet - 07/02/05 02:27 PM

Well, I've never known them renege on a transaction, so I would expect them to sell it to you for that price. For some obscure items, I recall they don't list/confirm the price until they've found a copy, but that certainly doesn't seem to be the case with the score you mention.

E-mail them, if you're concerned; they're very helpful.

David
Posted by: Goldberg

Re: Buying scores over the internet - 07/02/05 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pianojerome:
SheetMusicPlus is good. Amazon.com is also a very good source, but I'd go to SheetMusicPlus first. [/b]
The trouble with Amazon is, of course, its lack of a wide range of publishers. Just last night, I took advantage of the "used" retailers (I hardly ever buy the "new" items on amazon.com anymore, because the "market place" shops are mostly wonderful, and you can get some things for half price or less!--and they're in perfectly good, if not perfect, condition) and purchased 4 music books from Dover for less than the price of just three of the books new, as bought on Dover's website.

But there aren't very many other publishers on Amazon, if any (maybe one or two Kalmus editions and a Music Minus One or something), so if you need or want to go outside of Dover, then, yeah, sheetmusicplus.com is probably the best.

And for REALLY rare scores, this is an absolute must (because even SMP.com is limited in its list of composers, and sticks to *relatively* well-known pieces):

http://www.overturemusic.com/overture_publishers.cfm

Also see the "search" function on the top bar. Put in the composer, find what you want, and it'll do all the shopping for you--that is, it finds the appropriate publisher (for instance, Musica Obscura) and a store for you. Nifty! The prices don't even seem half bad, either. At least not when compared to a recent discovery of mine at a local store, of EMB's Liszt editions, which seems to be a series comprising most of Liszt's work--some of them were up at a cool $60! I suppose it's worth it if you reaaaaally want those pieces. Some of them did look rather intriguing. Not something you hear at the retirement home every day, at least.
Posted by: DuCamp

Re: Buying scores over the internet - 07/02/05 05:19 PM

Musical Princess... did you try www.musicroom.com ?
They are located in England, and I've bought sheet music from them (and I live in México.) They are safe and trust worthy, plus they have a huge catalogue. Might wanna take a look at them...
Posted by: Anima

Re: Buying scores over the internet - 07/04/05 01:50 AM

For Belgium, or just Europe, what site would you recommend? Does sheetmusicplus do international orders?
Posted by: Richard Martin

Re: Buying scores over the internet - 07/04/05 04:17 AM

Hello,

I've bought music from both sheetmusichound and musicroom and have been impressed with both, although sheetmusichound once sent me an "extra" by mistake - a lovely Henle edition of Chopin's Mazurkas in hardback - which I didn't have the heart to send back so I paid for it, of course!

Alternatively, I often buy from Banks in York over the telephone - they have always been helpful and I've made a few emergency requests for organ music where it was very handy to talk to someone who could see if the music was on the shelf and pack/post it there and then for the wedding the next day! I daresay Windows in Newcastle would do the same.
Good luck,

Richard

Re: Buying scores over the internet - 07/04/05 11:04 AM

Well, i chickened out of buying online. Ended up going to Windows and spending £74. Eek!

x
Posted by: jazzyprof

Re: Buying scores over the internet - 07/04/05 11:30 AM

Gee, what did you buy for £74?

Re: Buying scores over the internet - 07/04/05 11:40 AM

Brahms Piano Quintet in F minor (all parts), all of Chopins Preludes, Chopin's 4 Ballade's, Grieg Concerto in A Minor, and all of Beethoven's Sonata's. Burnt quite a big hole in my pocket!

x
Posted by: Richard Martin

Re: Buying scores over the internet - 07/05/05 02:00 AM

I bet it did. I do have a weakness for buying music and so I avoid Windows like the plague and instead try calm down over a pint somewhere.

If you've never been to Banks in York, musical princess, you really should go. You might want to save up in advance or even take out a loan ;-)

Re: Buying scores over the internet - 07/05/05 02:05 AM

Hehe, Well, it'll be a while before i can justify spending any more money on music but when i do i'll be sure to check it out. Thanks.

x
Posted by: dolce sfogato

Re: Buying scores over the internet - 05/30/10 07:32 PM

IMSLP
Posted by: gooddog

Re: Buying scores over the internet - 05/30/10 07:45 PM

Delete.
Edit: Oh my gosh. I didn't realize this was a zombie thread. I had no idea who the princess was so I should have guessed.
Posted by: dolce sfogato

Re: Buying scores over the internet - 05/30/10 07:53 PM

I M S L P
Posted by: beet31425

Re: Buying scores over the internet - 05/30/10 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: dolce sfogato
IMSLP

Originally Posted By: gooddog
I've ordered alot of music from Sheetmusicplus.com. They are reputable and safe.

Originally Posted By: dolce sfogato
I M S L P

dolce, my friend... What are we going to do with you?
Posted by: -Frycek

Re: Buying scores over the internet - 05/30/10 10:18 PM

Traditionally, the way to deactivate a zombie is to let him taste salt.
Posted by: wr

Re: Buying scores over the internet - 05/30/10 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: -Frycek
Traditionally, the way to deactivate a zombie is to let him taste salt.

That is useful to know. Do you also know how to stop ghouls from robbing graves? We could use that info right now, I think.
Posted by: ChopinAddict

Re: Buying scores over the internet - 05/31/10 02:43 AM

I didn't know either.
So garlic is for vampires and salt for zombies? I would have used garlic for a zombie too, and who knows what the consequences would have been... eek

Anyway, here it is: