Sharing about Bach

Posted by: Dreamygal

Sharing about Bach - 11/15/01 09:18 AM

Hello everyone,
I am now working on J.S. BACH'S Italian Concerto BWV 971. I wanna ask if anyone can give me some advice on this piece?
Besides,what do you think of Bach's music?
Are there any special features? (I am only a grade 8 player,so I might not have the complete knowledge on that.Any advice or sharing would be appreciate.)
Thx ^_^
Dreamygal
Posted by: ryan

Re: Sharing about Bach - 11/15/01 05:29 PM

Are you having any difficulties with it? Or is it falling under your fingers pretty easily? You need to be very nimble and have good endurance, especially in the outer movements. If you are building up your endurance, I would recommend breaking each of these movements up into smaller pieces and learning them seperately. Well, they don't have to be *that* seperate, but take a break in between to give yourself a breather.

Re: Sharing about Bach - 11/16/01 12:21 PM

Hum....may be I am not make it clear.
What I'm playing now is the third movement(Presto)
Yeah,my fingers are really getting out of control sometimes.The articulation,pulse or phrasing may not be clear enough also.
Well,I just thought that they are something which takes time to go well and I just cannot putting too fast on that.
I would like to ask,what other directions could I go for,so as to make the process more effectively?
I realized that repeating a song for a hundred times seemed acting stupid and ineffective.So what and how could I deal with my problems in a securer and worthy doing way?
Thx a lot!

Dreamygal \:\(
Posted by: PianoMuse

Re: Sharing about Bach - 11/16/01 07:36 PM

METRENOME PRACTICE AT A SLOW SPEED! I know, i know! this is tedious, boring, and you just want to rip through the peice! But i was having the same problem with a different peice..sometimes it was out of control, and i wanted it clearer. so i cut the speed in half and did metrenome practice. it worked miracles! i couldnt believe how crystal clear it came out! not only that, but it frees you up to really add your own interpretational quirks.
Posted by: ryan

Re: Sharing about Bach - 11/16/01 08:23 PM

That is a good practice suggestion. Also make sure you know your fingering inside and out - it is really crucial in all of last movement finger twisters.
Posted by: ChemicalGrl

Re: Sharing about Bach - 11/17/01 12:21 AM

I agree with PianoMuse and ryan. I like to try to figure out the fingering first and then after that, get the ol' metronome out and start at a speed slow enough that I can play it without mistakes. I'll play the section maybe 5 times without making a mistake, then I'll increase the metronome slightly, then try again. I won't increase the metronome speed until I am satisfied I could play the section x amount of times mistake-free.

Of course, once I'm able to get the section up to tempo, then I wean myself away from the metronome. I find that working through a piece this way is very effective (much more so than playing through a piece 100 times ... well, that's an exaggeration, but a teacher long ago called it "giving a bad concert to yourself") and it helps cut the learning time as well.

Best of luck to you.

Re: Sharing about Bach - 11/18/01 06:56 AM

Thx,I'm trying your method now!

Dreamygal