Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos!

Posted by: Heretic

Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 12:25 AM

Well guys due to the success and fun of the ongoing 10 greatest pianists thread, I figured it'd be fun to have the official PW Top 10 Greatest Concertos as well.

Rules: Once again post your top 5 to 10 concertos in order please (otherwise I can't rank them \:\( )

Once again #1 will receive 10 points, #2 will receive 9 points, #10 will have 1 point, etc.

Now remember, this is any "Concerto" from any style or time period which features keyboard as its main soloist. Thus this includes clavier/piano/harpsichord/organ/etc concertos of all types.

Once again I shall initiate the ceremony with my list to determine the top 10 Greatest Keyboard Concertos of All Time!

1. Beethoven #5 Eb major "EMPEROR"
2. Brahms #1 D minor
3. Mozart #23 A major
4. Bach D minor
5. Beethoven #4 G major
6. Brahms #2 Bb major
7. Beethoven #3 C minor
8. Mozart #20 D minor
9. Rachmaninoff #3 D minor
10. Schumann A minor

I know my list isn't very interesting, standard popular pieces but these are truly which I love beyond any others! I am however looking forward to the more distinctive choices which will doubtlessly ensue such as the Shostakoviches, Prokofievs, Tchaikovskys, Saint-Saens, Mendelssohns, et al!

Good luck to all composers and their concertos ;-)
Posted by: pianojerome

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 12:30 AM

1. Bartok 2
2. Tchaikovsky 1
3. Rachmaninov 3
4. Shostakovich 2
4. Prokofiev 5
5. Prokofiev 2
6. Prokofiev 3
7. Rachmaninov 2
8. Bartok 1
9. Ravel G Major
10. Grieg

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 12:36 AM

WOW lol Sam...I expected some diversity but nothing like that! I have yet to hear 90% of that list \:\) Well I heard pieces of most of them but I want to hear them all

But Bartok 2???????? Hardly even knew he wrote 2...

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 12:41 AM

Bartok wrote 3 Piano Concertos. ;\)

and you should definately listen to every one of those concertos I mentioned, especially Bartok 2. :p

( listen to excerpts of Bartok here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006OS...5Fencoding=UTF8 )
Posted by: Derulux

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 12:42 AM

In no particular order:

Rach 2, Rach 3, Tch 1, Mendelssohn Gm, Beethoven "Emperor", Brahms Dm, Grieg Am, Liszt 1, and I'll leave the last two slots open "to posterity" or perhaps "for the gods". :p ;\)
Posted by: Daniel--

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 12:58 AM

Derulux,

What recording of the Mendelssohn is your favorite ?

Sam,

I shall get the Bartok 2, is the Andsnes your favorite interpretation ?

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 01:00 AM

Daniel, I listen to Andsnes's recording:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006OS...5Fencoding=UTF8

Bartok's other concertos are also really good, particularly the 1st.

Have you heard Serkin's recording of the Mendelssohn Concertos?
Posted by: BruceD

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 01:04 AM

If these are the "ten greatest concertos", then they are "great" by what criteria?

Or are we saying "These are my ten favourite concertos..." There's a difference.

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BruceD:
Or are we saying "These are my ten favourite concertos..." There's a difference. [/b]
Certainly these aren't my only 10 favorite (nor are they the 'greatest'), but they are definately among my favorites. ;\)

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 01:06 AM

Bruce, it's a combination of the two, "These are the 10 Greatest Concertos in accordance with my Opinion!" ;-)

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 01:15 AM

If these are the "ten greatest concertos", then they are "great" by what criteria?

Or are we saying "These are my ten favourite concertos..." There's a difference.[/b]
It is improbable to separate the two. I find it paradoxical for an individual to find anything "great" and yet they do not appreciate it, unless you were to mean something where villains dwell...in which case, there are many composers whose concertos I think fall into that category (of "great" because they are deplorable). But then, the "great" ones that I like far exceed the "great" ones that I find deplorable, so this is still an exercise in futility.

But I will give Saint-Saens 2 an honorable mention for "worst concerto ever". Perhaps we could name this category the "Hitler Great", after a man whom, I'm sure we'd all agree, was great, though deplorably so.

[/b]
Currently, it's actually Lang Lang's, but there are many interpretations left to listen to I am sure.

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 01:20 AM

I think I have serkin's Mendelssohn, they are awesome

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 01:22 AM

as for worst concerto ever I think that (dis)honor goes to Dvorak! It's so bad no one even knows he wrote a concerto but how wrong they are! ;-)

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 01:26 AM

It is interesting. I've never heard Dvorak's piano concerto, but his "New World Suite" is among my favorite orchestral works of all-time.
Posted by: iamcanadian

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Heretic:
as for worst concerto ever I think that (dis)honor goes to Dvorak! It's so bad no one even knows he wrote a concerto but how wrong they are! ;-) [/b]
Dvorak's concerto is quite nice. Richter recorded it 3 times, Ohlsson and Aimard both play it. It's definitely not a bad work.

Try listening to it before you judge it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel--:
Derulux,
[/b]
Whatever you do, don't getLang Lang's recording - it's pure garbage. The best recording I've heard - and I've heard most of them - is Howard Shelley. LINK

Second best would probably be Serkin.

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 01:36 AM

I tried already \:\) Not an experience I'd like to relive \:\)
Posted by: Fiorentino

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 02:39 AM

Going to have to disagree seriously with whoever said Lang Lang's Mendelssohn is "pure garbage" - the playing is stunning, and it is the type of work that suits his temperament very, very well. To my ears, he plays it much better than anybody else I've heard, including Thibaudet, Hough, Shelley, Serkin, Perahia, etc.

Unfortunately, the Tchaikovsky on the same disc is rather atrocious in my opinion. But this does not detract from the Mendelssohn. Lang Lang's recording is my favourite for this work by far.

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 03:15 AM

I agree...the Tchaikovsky on the same CD is probably my least favorite. (And I'm not a huge fan of his Rach 2 either.) But the Mendelssohn...very nice. \:\)
Posted by: iamcanadian

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by e60m5:
Going to have to disagree seriously with whoever said Lang Lang's Mendelssohn is "pure garbage" - the playing is stunning, and it is the type of work that suits his temperament very, very well. [/b]
Well I will say that it's not filled with the usual Lang Lang quirks, but it just feels a little bit 'autopilot' for my tastes. Quite similar to his Haydn sonata at Carnegie hall - he can play the notes, but you get the feeling he has no thoughts to go along with them.

You're right though, the Tchaikovsky is disturbingly bad.
Posted by: Herr_Gnome

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 03:49 AM

1)Beethoven 4
2)Mozart 23
3)Brahms 2
4)Rach 2
5)Bartok 2
6)Beethoven 5
7)Mendelssohn 1
8)Shostakovich 2
9)Brahms 1
10)Liszt Totentanz

Pianojerome, You can fit in the Tchaikovsky 1 but no Beethoven. For shame :-P
Posted by: Mr. E

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 04:32 AM

I couldn't narrow it down to 20, let alone 10. Maybe 10 composers: Mozart, Beethoven, Schumann, Chopin, Brahms, Liszt, Saint-Saens, Ravel, Rachmaninoff, and Prokofiev. And even there, I probably forgot and left somebody out.

Recently I've been exploring some of the lesser known concertos. There are some good ones out there that don't get much mention: Dvorak, (especially) Paderewski, Scharwenka, Poulenc, Busoni, Khachaturian...

Any other good ones I'm missing out on?
Posted by: Antonius Hamus

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 05:44 AM

1. Liszt Totentanz
2. Mozart No. 27
3. Beethoven No. 4
4. Ravel Piano concerto for the left hand
5. J. S. Bach D minor
6. Mozart No. 23
7. J. S. Bach F minor
8. Mozart No. 20
9. Mozart No. 22
10. Busoni (gets a place, because it's the greatest piano concerto ever written, and I've managed to listen to it twice despite the fact)
Posted by: lol_nl

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 07:03 AM

Looks like I have a slightly other taste \:\) :

1- Rachmaninov no. 3
2- Rachmaninov no. 2
3- Tchaikovsky no. 1
4- Chopin no. 1
5- Schumann
6- Brahms no. 1
7- Beethoven no. 4
8- Grieg
9- Prokofiev no. 2
10- Mozart no. 23

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Heretic:
as for worst concerto ever I think that (dis)honor goes to Dvorak! It's so bad no one even knows he wrote a concerto but how wrong they are! ;-) [/b]
I was thinking about putting that one on my list. It's wonderful!! The orchestration is great (as should be expected from Dvorak), and I just love the melodies in the 3rd movement especially.

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Derulux:

Or are we saying "These are my ten favourite concertos..." There's a difference.[/b]
It is improbable to separate the two. I find it paradoxical for an individual to find anything "great" and yet they do not appreciate it, [/b]
There's nothing necessarily paradoxical about it at all. If I am reading critical biographies of composers whose works I do not know well enough to judge their "greatness" but am told by more than one esteemed historian that these works are indeed among the greatest in the genre, then I would have to acknowledge their "greatness" even though I could not voice an opinion on whether or not I like them.

Conversely, for someone to list (his/her) top 10 Greatest Keyboard Concertos of All Time! (sure sounds like a pop list to me) in one post and then say s/he hasn't heard 90% of the ten (fairly standard works) listed in the following post, then I do believe we are talking about personal likes rather than criteria of greatness. So, yes, there is a difference between establishing criteria of what makes a work great and more simply just listing the works that one likes.

Hence, my question : Are we talking about what concertos we like best - which is what seems to be the case - or are we trying to compile a list of what concertos are really considered among the greatest written? If the latter be the case, I was merely asking by what criteria we are going to judge their greatness.

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 01:02 PM

Brucey me boy you're thinking too much into this all! Semantics can be argued to all eternity you know that! Whether you title it greatness or "opion OF" greatness what's the difference, obviously physics nor mathematics can accurately prove which piece is "greater" than another so obviously anytime someone claims greatness it should inherently understood as OPINION ONLY!

The list is done to see which pieces get the most points and make the top 10 so that we can see (for fun) the general breakdown of what people at PianoWorld think are the top 10 pieces. Do you get it now??????????

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 01:27 PM

OK, now that you've explained that this is a popularity poll, I understand the rules of the game. That's all I was asking.

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 02:02 PM

Are not ALL POLLS popularity polls? Even Time Magazine's top 100 Innovators or anything of that sort. Nobel Peace Prize, it's all about popularity and opinion. No one in the world can actually PROVE that anything is better or greater than something else, who can PROVE to me Einstein is greater than Newton, for anything you say I can easily counter you with my own "opinion". So in a sense I just feel it's just a given and should be inherently understood that ALL POLLS are opinion/popularity polls wouldn't you agree? Unless of course the poll specifically states something mathematically like, "list the top 10 grossing movies of all time" obviously that can be deduced and quanticized because you can look at the figures and see which movie made more money.
Posted by: C.V. Alkan

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 02:27 PM

This post is digressing into an intellectual chatter fest...

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 02:28 PM

I agree, care to put us back on track and list your top 10? \:\)
Posted by: CC2 and Chopin lover

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 02:57 PM

I don't know about the other nine, but click on this link and listen to this played as you have never heard it before, and you will certainly have your number one! ;\)
savefile.com

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 03:12 PM

that's 10 points for Chopin \:\)
Posted by: Shosti

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 06:50 PM

Ok, starting at #1:
Beethoven 4
Mozart 20
Schumann
Mozart 17
Beethoven 5
Ravel G maj.
Shosti 2
Schumann
Rachmaninoff 2
Mozart 12
I couldn't really think too much about the order here.
Posted by: PianoBeast10489

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 07:56 PM

1)Beethoven No.3
2)Chopin No.1
3)Mendelssohn No.1
4)Brahms No.2
5)Chopin No.2
6)Mozart No.23
7)Beethoven No.4
8)Schumann A minor
9)Greig A minor
10)Saint-Saen's G minor
Posted by: Appassionata Sonata

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/12/06 08:08 PM

Beethoven is doing pretty well it looks like.

my favorites

1.Beethoven 5 Emperor
2.Beethoven 4
3.Mozart 23
Posted by: prokofiev

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/13/06 02:01 AM

1. Rachmaninoff 3
2. Prokofiev 5
3. Prokofiev 2
4. Brahms 2
5. Rachmaninoff 2
6. Rachmaninoff Rhapsody
7. Prokofiev 3
8. Shostakovich 2
9. Ravel
10. Grieg
Posted by: prokofiev

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/13/06 02:05 AM

I hope there were more spots!

11. Bartok 2
12. Brahms 1
13. Chopin 1
14. Chopin 2
15. Beethoven 4
16. Beethoven 5
17. Mendelssohn 1
Posted by: piano808

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/14/06 03:48 AM

Rach 3
Gershwin: concerto in F
Prok 3
Saint Saens 2
Rach 2
Tchaikovsky 1
Beethoven: Emperor
Shosti 1 (piano/trumpet)
Saint Saens #5 (Egyptian)
Prok 1
Posted by: Bassio

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/14/06 01:42 PM

Rachmaninoff 2
Rachmaninoff 3
Beethoven 3
Chopin 1
Bach 5
Totentanz
Rach rhapsody
Rachmaninoff 1
Greig
Bach 1

In fact these are most of what i heard \:\(
I must increase my listening repertoire
Posted by: signa

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/14/06 01:43 PM

Beethoven 1-5
Mozart 20, 24
Brahms 1
Rach 2, 3
Posted by: lol_nl

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/14/06 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. E:
I couldn't narrow it down to 20, let alone 10. Maybe 10 composers: Mozart, Beethoven, Schumann, Chopin, Brahms, Liszt, Saint-Saens, Ravel, Rachmaninoff, and Prokofiev. And even there, I probably forgot and left somebody out.

Recently I've been exploring some of the lesser known concertos. There are some good ones out there that don't get much mention: Dvorak, (especially) Paderewski, Scharwenka, Poulenc, Busoni, Khachaturian...

Any other good ones I'm missing out on? [/b]
Of those I've only heard the Paderewski once during a concert. And I think the piece itself is not bad, but I couldn't like it. It was a nice show-off piece I think, butI think the sound is just like unsuccesful a wannabee Chopin or Liszt concerto.

But that's not strange with me. I have often enough had the feeling that I can't understand why i didn't like piece which now is one of my favorites (e.g. Prokofiev pieces, Rach 3, Liszt Sonata). So I might like that concerto some day \:\) .
Posted by: Mr. E

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/14/06 03:51 PM

Definately give the Paderewski another listen, it's a great piece.
Posted by: Wanderer

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/14/06 04:47 PM

In no particular order.

Medtner 1
Medtner 2
Medtner 3
Rachmaninov 2
Ravel left hand (D major)
Beethoven 4
Beethoven 5
Brahms 1
Brahms 2
Alkan Concerto for solo piano
Posted by: SteinwayModelD

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/14/06 06:11 PM

My top 10 (a bit silly, and some of my fav recording of the concerto)

#1 Brahms 2nd (Gilels/Reiner, Richter/Mazaal, Richter/Mravinsky, Fleisher)

#2 Beethoven 4th (Backhaus, Gilels)

#3 Prokofiev 2nd (Bronfman, Krainev)

#4 Brahms 1st (Horowitz, Andre Watts, Katchen, Flesiher)

#5 Prokofiev 3rd (Kapell)

#6 Bartok 2nd (Richter)

#7 Rachmaninoff 2nd (Volodos, Rachmaninoff himself, zimerman)

#8 Chopin 1st (Zimerman, Yundi Li, Bleachez)

#9 Henselt (Hamelin)

#10 Scriabin (Solomon)
Posted by: Requiem Aeternam

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 03/15/06 03:01 AM

1. brahms 2
2. brahms 1
3. beethoven 5
4. beethoven 4
5. beethoven 3.
6. mozart 23
7. mozart 20
8. tchaikovsky 1
9. rach 3
10. bach d major
Posted by: rhapsody2006

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 04/09/06 05:18 PM

tchaikovsky 1, rach 2, rach 3,prokofiev 3, prokofiev 2, prokofiev 1, beethoven 'emperor', tchaikovsky 2,chopin 1, chopin 2,
Posted by: loveschopintoomuch

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 04/09/06 07:12 PM

Maybe I'm off base here (I have been known to be, every so often), but I have to make a rather obvious statement. Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so is greatness in the ears of the listener...not by some abstract critical analysis by a musicologist. (Just what is a musiciologist anyhow?) Just as in art, we may not know a lot about it, but we know what we like. And it doesn't matter (at least to me and I hope many others)what the so-called experts say. Personally, I can't see what the big deal is about Van Gough. My kid, at the age of 10, painted better (again, my opinion).

When oh when are we going to start thinking for ourselves? If you happen to think that a certain concerto is great (even if you haven't heard all of them), then that concerto is great (to you). I happen to think Chopin's concertos are great, and I can just imagine the response that remark will inspire. Be not afraid...you are ENTITLED to your opinion. Isn't that in the Constitution somewhere?
Posted by: loveschopintoomuch

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 04/09/06 07:25 PM

Thank you Rhapsody. I can't believe it. Another person who admires Chopin's concertos. And here I thought I was all alone. You must have the heart of a poet.
Posted by: xyz2004slc

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 04/09/06 11:20 PM

1. Beethoven 5
2. Brahms 2
3. Saint-Saens Carnival of the Animals
4. Tchaikovsky 1
5. Mozart almost any concerto because to me, they are very similar
6. Rach 2
7. Rach Rhapsody (does this count?)
8. Gershwin 1
9. Schumann
10. Moszkowski (Yeah!)

With the exception of the 2 at the top and the two at the bottom, this list is pretty flexible.

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 04/09/06 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xyz2004slc:
3. Saint-Saens Carnival of the Animals
[/b]
That's not a piano concerto. ;\)

(It's just an ensemble work that happens to include two pianists)
Posted by: Brendan

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 04/09/06 11:46 PM

Concerti that I believe are masterpieces:

Mozart c minor
Beethoven B-flat
Beethoven G major
Liszt A major
Brahms d minor
Brahms B-flat
Ravel LH
Rachmaninov f# minor
Prokofiev g minor
Barber (the greatest post-1950 concerto, IMO)

Pieces that aren't really concerti per se, but I love them:
Messiaen, Turangalila-Symphonie
Bernstein, Age of Anxiety (needs the right performance, though)
Bach, Brandenburg 5
Posted by: Sonata

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 04/10/06 12:23 AM

1.Rachmaninov No2
2.Beethoven No3
3.Mendelssohn No.1
4.Brahms No2 g minor (it's called "Saint-Saens"!)
5.Schumann a minor (forgot the No.)
6.Chopin No.1
7.Mozart No.23
8.Rach. No3
9.Grieg a minor
10.Brahms No.1 d minor
Posted by: whippen boy

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 04/11/06 02:10 AM

Quote:
Barber (the greatest post-1950 concerto, IMO)
Well Brendan, that makes two of us.

Surprised nobody else even mentioned it.
Posted by: Antonius Hamus

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 04/11/06 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
Maybe I'm off base here (I have been known to be, every so often), but I have to make a rather obvious statement. Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so is greatness in the ears of the listener...not by some abstract critical analysis by a musicologist. (Just what is a musiciologist anyhow?) Just as in art, we may not know a lot about it, but we know what we like. And it doesn't matter (at least to me and I hope many others)what the so-called experts say. Personally, I can't see what the big deal is about Van Gough. My kid, at the age of 10, painted better (again, my opinion).

When oh when are we going to start thinking for ourselves?[/b]
What does being a slave to your unconscious conditionings and initial emotional responses have to do with thinking for yourself?

If an expert has a very high opinion of some particular work of art (music, painting, literature, cinema, or whatever), and if I, on the other hand, don't find that particular work of art to be of much significance, then I usually at least try to think that there probably is something very significant in that particular work of art, and that I just can't see it, and that if I tried harder, I would, eventually, be able to see its (full) value, and my life would thus be enhanced.

If you rather find flaws and vapidness in masterworks than in your own perception and mind, there will be little chance of any kind of significant intellectual, aesthetic, or spiritual growth. (That, of course, is not to say that it wouldn't be a good thing, also, to be able to find worth in more obscure, or less professional or deliberate works or things.)
Posted by: 8ude

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 04/11/06 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonata:
1.Rachmaninov No2
2.Beethoven No3
3.Mendelssohn No.1
4.Brahms No2 g minor (it's called "Saint-Saens"!)
5.Schumann a minor (forgot the No.)
6.Chopin No.1
7.Mozart No.23
8.Rach. No3
9.Grieg a minor
10.Brahms No.1 d minor [/b]
Um, don't you mean Saint-Saens Concerto No. 2 in g minor. Brahms had nothing to do with that one. Brahms second piano concerto (in Bb), a great piece in its own right, is absolutely nothing like the Saint-Saens g-minor concerto.

Oh, and Schumann only wrote the piano concerto in a minor.
Posted by: Shellman

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 04/11/06 11:02 AM

Interesting thread, I would have to say (in particular order):

Beethoven 4 and 5, Liszt 2, Brahms 1 and 2, Saint-Saens 2, Scharwenka 4, Chopin 2, Alkan (for solo piano) and Schumann.

I also like the Dvorak concerto! My field of interest is neglected composers so I'll also make mention of Stavenhagen, Goetz and Tausig (he did write a concerto but no one's recorded it yet. I think I read somewhere the score maybe lost)
Posted by: kallisti

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 04/11/06 11:07 AM

I'm not sure I know enough piano concertos by heart to give a very representative account of a top 10, but I'm surprised no one has even mentioned my unbeatable favourite yet: György Ligeti's!
Posted by: Sonata

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 04/12/06 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 8ude:
 Quote:
[/b]
Um, don't you mean Saint-Saens Concerto No. 2 in g minor. Brahms had nothing to do with that one. Brahms second piano concerto (in Bb), a great piece in its own right, is absolutely nothing like the Saint-Saens g-minor concerto.

Oh, and Schumann only wrote the piano concerto in a minor. [/b]
Yes,you might right, actually I record this g minor from a friend's CD, and all about the CD is Brahms' pieces, (the front cover and big title, all showed it's Brahms' music)so I really confused, and I saw an article says that Brahms and Saint-Saens are friends! So I guess this piece was Brahms wrote for his friend! \:D What an embarressing mistake. Yes, I really love the g minor Op22 one.
And now I remember that Schumman only had one conterto. Thank you!

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 04/12/06 02:04 AM

Quote:
 Quote:
 Quote:
[/b]

Oh, and Schumann only wrote the piano concerto in a minor. [/b]
Yes,you might right, actually I record this g minor from a friend's CD, and all about the CD is Brahms' pieces, (the front cover and big title, all showed it's Brahms' music)so I really confused, and I saw an article says that Brahms and Saint-Saens are friends! So I guess this piece was Brahms wrote for his friend! \:D What an embarressing mistake. Yes, I really love the g minor Op22 one.
And now I remember that Schumman only had one conterto. Thank you! [/b]
Brahms was also friends with Schumann. When Schumann tried to kill himself, failed, and went to the looney bin (where he died), Brahms was in the process of writing his first (D Minor) piano concerto, and he was so depressed about his friend. You can hear this intense sadness and anger in Brahms's first concerto.

Brahms must have also been slightly relieved, though, because after Robby died, Brahms moved in with Clara (Mrs. Schumann).
Posted by: whippen boy

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 04/12/06 02:12 AM

Sam![/b] \:o

:rolleyes:

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 04/12/06 03:18 AM

It was an epochal sort of three-way love at first sight when Johannes Brahms first showed up on the doorstep, and then at the piano of Clara and Robert Schumann in 1853.

It was a "secret union of kindred spirits," genius and love in many dimensions, and something more: Schumann, who was 43, saw a successor to Beethoven in the 20-year-old Brahms, but more than the "new eagle" of German music he saw "another John the Baptist," a savior whose revelations would stymie the world for centuries. Clara, who was 33, saw a rare and beautiful character in Brahms, sent by God and transfigured by his own music.

In Robert Schumann, young Brahms saw a mentor on the way to madness; in Clara he saw the love of his life-a woman who didn't promise heaven but revealed it to him. Together they lived the mysteries of romantic passion and wove them into every theme and variation of romantic music. Join us for A musical triangle for all time.
(Hosted by Christopher Lydon)

http://www.theconnection.org/shows/2001/02/20010214_b_main.asp

(I haven't listened to this program yet, so hopefully it'll be good)
Posted by: mmmmaestro007

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 04/12/06 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pianojerome:
 Quote:
 Quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sonata:
[qb] [/b]
[/b]
Brahms was also friends with Schumann. When Schumann tried to kill himself, failed, and went to the looney bin (where he died), Brahms was in the process of writing his first (D Minor) piano concerto, and he was so depressed about his friend. You can hear this intense sadness and anger in Brahms's first concerto.

Brahms must have also been slightly relieved, though, because after Robby died, Brahms moved in with Clara (Mrs. Schumann). [/b]
i heard Brahms and Clara were gettin' it on soon after Robby went to the nuthouse! :rolleyes:
Posted by: stojkovic

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 04/14/06 02:58 AM

Lang Lang is pure garbage, he's just a commercial pianist, there is no soul in any of what he plays, Ive heard him play Rach 2 , Paganini Variations and Tchaikovsky. There's nothing there to enjoy, no story being told, just notes being hit at the right time.
As far as best Concerto's go, its really difficult to rank them....some nights Beethoven tears my heart, others Rach fills it..but if I had to,
Rachmaninov's are the most fun to play, and listen to as stories and tales....Like Tchaikovsky.
Beethoven and Brahms make you wanna cry, very Classical, along with Mozart.
Prokofiev is just pure nut-case, energy, fairytale, imagination at its finest....ohhh if only Stravinsky wrote a piano concerto!!!!
Posted by: mrenaud

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 04/14/06 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by stojkovic:
ohhh if only Stravinsky wrote a piano concerto!!!! [/b]
He did. Two, even. One for piano and wind orchestra and another one called "Capriccio".
Posted by: sokolovfan

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/19/13 05:11 PM

In no particular order.
Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 3 in D minor
Brahms Piano Concerto No. 1 in D minor
Brahms Piano Concerto No. 2 in B flat major
Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 1 in B flat minor
Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2 in C minor
Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 5 in E flat major
Chopin Piano Concerto No. 1 in E minor
Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 4 in G major
Chopin Piano Concerto No. 2 in F minor
Mozart Piano Concerto No. 27 in B flat major

Other great concertos worth mentioning(simply because 10 is too little)
Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 3 in C minor
Schumann Piano Concerto in A minor
Mozart Piano Concerto No. 20 in D minor
Mozart Piano Concerto No. 23 in A major
Mozart Piano Concerto No. 25 in C major
Mozart Piano Concerto No. 21 in C major
Mozart Piano Concerto No. 22 in E flat major
Mozart Piano Concerto No. 24 in C minor
Mozart Piano Concerto No. 26 in D major
Prokofiev Piano Concerto No. 3 in C major
Bach Keyboard Concerto in A major, BWV 1055
Bach Keyboard Concerto in F minor, BWV 1056
Posted by: jeffreyjones

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/19/13 05:29 PM

Mozart "Jenamy" K. 271
Mozart K. 488
Beethoven 1-5
Schumann
Tchaikovsky 1
Brahms 2

Hard for me to think of anything to replace any of those with.
Posted by: Polyphonist

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/19/13 08:26 PM

Oh, please. This thread is no less than seven years old.
Posted by: Burroughs

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/23/13 01:26 PM

I will list my favourites and also my favourite recordings of them

1. Schumann - Piano Concerto in A Minor, Op. 54 - Van Cliburn
2. Rachmaninoff - Piano Concerto No. 2 in C Minor, Op. 18 - Van Cliburn
3. Brahms - Piano Concerto No. 2 in B-flat Major, Op. 83 - Van Cliburn
4. Grieg - Piano Concerto in A Minor, Op. 16 - Richter
5. Prokofiev - Piano Concerto No. 3 in C Major, Op. 26 - Van Cliburn
6. Tchaikovsky - Piano Concerto No. 1 in B-flat Minor, Op. 23 - Van Cliburn
7. Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 20 in D Minor, K. 466 - Shelley
8. Dvorak - Piano Concerto in G Minor, Op. 33 - Richter
9. MacDowell - Piano Concerto No. 2 in D Minor, Op. 23 - Van Cliburn
10. Beethoven - Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major, Op. 58 - Van Cliburn

As you can probably see from above, I absolutely adore the American pianist Harvey van Cliburn who was hailed as "The Texan who Conquered Russia". I like his unique playing style it is very passionate and emotional. Other pianists I like include Howard Shelley who I feel is a truly underrated musician and of course there is Richter who is truly sensational.

As for my choices...

The Schumann piano concerto is my favourite piece of music. I am currently practising it and I like it for the clearness in which Schumann expresses his emotions in this piece. Van Cliburn's expressive playing style really suits this wonderful composition.

The Rachmaninoff concerto is brilliant for its' lush romantic melodies and the Brahms is just awe inspiring to listen to.

As well as the pieces listed I enjoy many more as the concerto is my favourite genre from the classical (Including baroque, romantic and 20th century) oeuvre.
Posted by: jdhampton924

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/24/13 04:30 PM

hmmmmmmm

1. Beethoven's 5th Piano Concerto "Emperor"
2. Brahms 2nd Piano Concerto B flat
3. Barber's Piano Concerto
4. Tveitt's Piano Concerto No. 1
5. Mozart Concerto No. 20
6. Liebermann Piano Concerto No. 2
7. Liszt Piano Concerto No. 1
8. Micheal Daugherty Deux Ex Machina(piano concerto)
9. Stokowski Piano Concerto No. 2
10. Gerswhin/Ravel piano concerto, truly was a tie, could not pick between the two.
Posted by: Orange Soda King

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/24/13 04:45 PM

I'd give Ravel G an edge over Gershwin F because of the middle movement.

But I actually like the LH concerto more.

My top 10 favorite piano concertos:

1. Brahms 1
2. Brahms 2
3. Busoni Op. 39
4. Saint-Saens 4
5. Saint-Saens 5
6. Mozart 25 (K. 503)
7. Rachmaninoff Rhapsody
8. Ravel Left Hand
9. Prokofiev 2
10. Saint-Saens "Africa"

Okay, so No. 10 is no more than just a guilty pleasure, but hey, a guy's gotta have his guilty pleasures sometimes, right? laugh
Posted by: StarvingLion

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/24/13 06:32 PM

There is no top 10. There are only 2 that properly understand what a concerto *for* piano is supposed to be.

Chopin 1
Chopin 2

The rest are wonderful orchestration works that include the piano. Paganini knew what a violin concerto is supposed to be just like Chopin with the piano.
Posted by: beet31425

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/24/13 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: StarvingLion
There is no top 10. There are only 2 that properly understand what a concerto *for* piano is supposed to be.

Chopin 1
Chopin 2

The rest are wonderful orchestration works that include the piano.

As long as we're assigning sentience to compositions, I think there are some concertos by Mozart that know this too.

-J
Posted by: Vid

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/24/13 07:29 PM

Chopin 1
Chopin 2

The rest are wonderful orchestration works that include the piano. Paganini knew what a violin concerto is supposed to be just like Chopin with the piano.

You include the Bach keyboard concertos in this sweeping dismissal? He only invented the 'keyboard concerto' after all!

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/24/13 07:49 PM

Chopin 1
Chopin 2

You actually find fun in music where the orchestration is rather basic and just tags along for the ride? That's the whole REASON Brahms is my favorite!! (Well, not the whole reason, but definitely one of the reasons).

EDIT: I don't dislike the Chopin concerti, I like them a lot... Just not always the concept of orchestra primarily just accompanying the piano...
Posted by: StarvingLion

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/24/13 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Vid

Chopin 1
Chopin 2

You include the Bach keyboard concertos in this sweeping dismissal? He only invented the 'keyboard concerto' after all!

The public likes romantic works with an orchestral background. Frankly, my intention is to be a cheap Chopin imitator and use his formula to produce 3 more Chopinistic concertos. The days of idealism are over. What have the clowns in the conservatories and university produced?
Posted by: currawong

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/24/13 09:35 PM

Frankly, my intention is to be a cheap Chopin imitator and use his formula to produce 3 more Chopinistic concertos.
Frankly, my dear, I can't think of anything worse! smile
Posted by: Mark_C

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/24/13 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: currawong
Frankly, my intention is to be a cheap Chopin imitator and use his formula to produce 3 more Chopinistic concertos.

You may be right, but if he even half succeeds, I'm buying the scores. grin
Posted by: Damon

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/24/13 11:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
Originally Posted By: currawong

You may be right, but if he even half succeeds, I'm buying the scores. grin

Just 3 more concertos to ignore. wink
Posted by: boo1234

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/25/13 12:27 AM

in no particular order:

1. Beethoven 4
2. Mozart 21
3. Mozart 9
4. Mozart 20
5. Beethoven 5
6. Tchaikovsky 1
7. Rach 2
8. Rach 3
9. Brahms 2
10. Prokofiev 3

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/25/13 10:27 AM

The public likes romantic works with an orchestral background. Frankly, my intention is to be a cheap Chopin imitator and use his formula to produce 3 more Chopinistic concertos. The days of idealism are over. What have the clowns in the conservatories and university produced?

You're right; nobody cares about integrity in music. Let's just worry only about the public and make money. laugh

In fact, forget Chopin all together, let's do something more radical!! Like this genius:
Posted by: Old Man

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/25/13 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King

You're right; nobody cares about integrity in music. Let's just worry only about the public and make money. laugh

In fact, forget Chopin all together, let's do something more radical!! Like this genius:

Yes, true genius. sick After gutting the piece of all of its technical difficulties, he seems to think his glissandi qualify him as a virtuoso and will win over the audience. Sadly, he seems to have been correct. How in the h*ll did you ever dig up this clown????
Posted by: Vid

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/25/13 01:35 PM

What's the name of that tune?!?! wink wow

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/25/13 01:51 PM

Might as well play the concerto game while I'm here. I don't have a vast collection, and not many duplicates, so I'll mention the versions I have.

1. Brahms 2 - Serkin
2. Brahms 1 - Serkin
3. Bach 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 6, 3 - Gould (hey, whadya mean, "cheating"? grin )
4. Chopin 1 - Ax
5. Rachmaninoff 2 - Bronfman
6. Beethoven 4 - Uchida
7. Saint-Saens 4 - Entremont
8. Rachmaninoff 3 - Bronfman
9. Liszt Totentanz - Zimerman (Not my favorite version. My long gone vinyl of Brailowsky was far better.)
10. Schumann - Serkin

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/25/13 02:58 PM

Old Man, I have Saint-Saens 4 (along with 2) on vinyl record with Entremont playing. Absolutely stellar!! I highly recommend his Rachmaninoff Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini, too. smile

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/25/13 05:36 PM

Some concertos I'd definitely put in the top 10: Mozart 20, Beethoven 4 + 5, Brahms 1 +2 , Chopin 2, Rachmaninoff 2 + 3.

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/25/13 05:38 PM

Good call with Chopin 2! I personally do prefer it over the first, and even though I made a little slight at both concertos above, I do think they're beautiful and wonderful pieces!

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/25/13 05:39 PM

Old Man, I have Saint-Saens 4 (along with 2) on vinyl record with Entremont playing. Absolutely stellar!! I highly recommend his Rachmaninoff Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini, too. smile

Yep, I know that Saint-Saens album well. My dad had that one, with P.E.'s face on the cover, back in his stud muffin days. I immediately fell in love with No.2, probably because of that dramatic piano introduction, but I pretty much ignored No. 4. But as I grew older, I started listening to 4, and realized that this was really the superior concerto (IMHO). I also became quite an Entremont fan. He always had plenty of power and played so cleanly, like Horowitz and Gutierrez. I've never read much about him on this forum, however.

I'll have to check out the Rach Rhapsody, because his Rach 2 with Bernstein (also from the 60s) is quite unique. Probably the slowest version of Rach 2 I've ever heard. You can't tell it from the opening chords, but as soon as the orchestra joins in and you hear the bass notes from the piano, you realize that Philippe and Lenny are moving at a snail's pace. But surprisingly that version grew on me too, and I would enjoy hearing it again today.

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/25/13 05:40 PM

Good call with Chopin 2! I personally do prefer it over the first, and even though I made a little slight at both concertos above, I do think they're beautiful and wonderful pieces!

What do you mean "both concertos above" - I listed eight, didn't I?

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/25/13 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

What do you mean "both concertos above" - I listed eight, didn't I?

I meant in an earlier post that I made, regarding both piano concertos. I commented how I didn't always prefer the "piano being the star of the show while orchestra just tags along for the ride" aspect of some piano concertos.
Posted by: JoelW

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/25/13 06:36 PM

If your list doesn't have Saint-Saens 2, it sucks.

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/25/13 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: JoelW

Uh-oh... I'm in trouble! laugh

I have a hard time enjoying Saint-Saens' "dark" music. I much prefer the delightful music. Check his "Serenade d'hiver." Sang it in choir last year, and it was a BLAST. Gives me the same joy I get whenever listening to PC Nos. 4 and 5.

But I guess the second is popular for reasons, most notably, Rubinstein? On my Entremont record, it states that the 4th concerto is more popular than the 2nd, so that must have been at the time of the recording... Sad that it fell out of fashion. frown
Posted by: Allan W.

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/25/13 07:02 PM

Lol... I've only listened to three concertos... Rach 2 and 3 and Tchaikovsky 1. I'm a classical music newbie, so I guess I'll give some of the popular ones in these lists a listen.
Posted by: argerichfan

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/25/13 07:21 PM

And think of how much trouble I'd be in if I said, in paging through this thread, that several lists 'suck' because of certain concertos they do contain. wink

Quote:
I have a hard time enjoying Saint-Saens' "dark" music.

'Dark'? Maybe on the surface of the 1st movement, but to borrow a cliche, its darkness is only skin deep!

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/25/13 09:01 PM

Well, for many years I would have agreed. And I still love it. Just not quite as much as Saint-Saens 4.

Would #10.a do it? smile (I also have 10.b thru 10.z available).
Posted by: sokolovfan

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/25/13 09:54 PM

My favorite recordings of the 10 concerti I listed.
Rachmaninoff 3 - Grigory Sokolov (Mariinsky Theatre Orchestra, Gergiev)
Brahms 1 - Grigory Sokolov (Frankfurt Radio Symphony, Wolff)
Brahms 2 - Grigory Sokolov (Hungarian National Symphony, Jia)
Rachmaninoff 2 - Grigory Sokolov (Montreal Symphony, Dutoit)
Tchaikovsky 1 - Van Cliburn (Moscow State Philharmonic, Kondrashian)
Beethoven 5 - Krystian Zimerman (Vienna Philharmonic, Bernstein)
Beethoven 4 - Wilhelm Backhaus (Vienna Symphoniker, Bohm)
Chopin 1 - Krystian Zimerman (Polish Festival Orchestra, Zimerman)
Chopin 2 - Dang Thai Son (Orchestra of 18th Century, Bruggen)
Mozart 27 - Mitsuko Uchida (English Chamber Orchestra, Tate)

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/25/13 09:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Old Man

Well, for many years I would have agreed. And I still love it. Just not quite as much as Saint-Saens 4.

I admit I have only heard #2. So forgive me if that's like saying Chopin's best ballade is the first. I MUST delve into S-S. I've heard three of his works and each are fantastic. I'm thinking he's going to rank in my top tier of favorite composers. I can feel it.

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/25/13 10:50 PM

I admit I have only heard #2. So forgive me if that's like saying Chopin's best ballade is the first. I MUST delve into S-S. I've heard three of his works and each are fantastic. I'm thinking he's going to rank in my top tier of favorite composers. I can feel it.

Holy cow, you HAVE to hear the 4th concerto, 5th concerto, and Africa!! smile The 1st and 3rd are nice, but don't quite do it as much for me.

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/25/13 10:51 PM

Originally Posted By: argerichfan

I have a hard time enjoying Saint-Saens' "dark" music.

'Dark'? Maybe on the surface of the 1st movement, but to borrow a cliche, its darkness is only skin deep!

Exactly! It's not really dark past the surface, and the drama in it doesn't seem that powerful/convincing to me...

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/26/13 12:46 AM

So can I.

OSK will back me up. S-S 5 is a very fine piece of music, magnificently written.

Posted by: BDB

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/26/13 01:16 AM

Poulenc, Mozart, Stravinsky, Saint-Saens' Carnival of the Animals, the three J. S. Bach, some C. P. E. Bach, W. F. Bach, Liszt Concert Pathetique are among the best for concertos two pianos. Some of those do not have orchestra parts. You could also toss in Soler's concertos for two organs.
Posted by: boo1234

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/26/13 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By: boo1234
in no particular order:

1. Beethoven 4
2. Mozart 21
3. Mozart 9
4. Mozart 20
5. Beethoven 5
6. Tchaikovsky 1
7. Rach 2
8. Rach 3
9. Brahms 2
10. Prokofiev 3

I'm going to have to revise my list somehow and put in the two piano concerto by Mozart. It's my favorite!
Posted by: Verbum mirabilis

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/27/13 01:27 PM

Here's my list in no particular order:

1. Beethoven 4
2. Mozart 23
3. Grieg
4. All Rach concerti
5. Bortkiewicz 3
6. Palmgren 2
7. Prokofiev 3
8. Debussy Fantasy
9. Ravel LH
10. All of Chopin's concertante works

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/27/13 06:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Verbum mirabilis

8. Debussy Fantasy

Wow. That's a new departure, and good on you! I've always thought it rather still-born, a great piano concerto that might have been.

But surely you rate it as a 'favourite', not presumably one of the 'greatest' per the OP?

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/27/13 09:52 PM

The Debussy Fantasy isn't what I'd call a staple, or staple-worthy, but it most definitely deserves to be played a lot more.

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/27/13 11:58 PM

I only know about 12 concerti well. If I had to narrow my list down to three it would be...

1) Chopin 1

2) Ravel

3) Mozart 23
Posted by: wdot

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/28/13 12:53 AM

I only know about 12 concerti well. If I had to narrow my list down to three it would be...

1) Chopin 1

2) Ravel

3) Mozart 23
These are all fine pieces, but you're young (compared to the rest of us) and you seem to understand that you need to broaden your horizons.

That having been said, here are my top 12, at least tonight, without my having given it a lot of thought. These are not in any particular order:

1. Brahms 1
2. Brahms 2
3. Mozart D minor
4. Mozart C major (with famous second movement; K number escapes me
5,6,7. Beethoven 3,4,5
8,9. Rach. 2,3
10. Schumann
11. Grieg
12. This is a cop-out, but almost everything else. The literature us just so rich. I've omitted many great Mozarts, both Chopins, the Mendelssohns (the D minor is unjustly ignored), some Bachs, the Liszt concerti, a couple of the Saint-Saens pieces, Ravel, one or more Prokofievs,Gershwin's works, and multiple partridges in a "Grove" of pear trees.

And, having made that list, I fully expect that somebody will say "what about x" and I'll respond "Oh, yeah; sorry."

Plus, Joel or someone else could justifiably say that just because he's young doesn't mean that he isn't entitled to his opinion. To which I could agree, perhaps with a familiar aphorism about the ubiquity of opinions, which might just get me banned from the board!
Posted by: albumblatter

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/29/13 11:24 PM

10... try 100! Haha.

Here are my favorite 'sets' of piano concerti.

1. Moszkowski's Piano Concerto in E
This work has to be one of my favorites. The writing itself is quite impressive, but the lyricism is one of the finest. The opening movement's humble woodwinds always get me. And what a finale.. Truly, a work of genius. Hundred times better than Brahms's 2nd Piano Concerto.
2. Respighi's Piano Concerto in A Minor
This work outshines both Schumann's and Grieg's, both written in the same key. I don't understand why this work isn't more well received.
3. Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 27
Miraculous work. Absolutely gorgeous, sparse, and bittersweet. This has to be my favorite work by Mozart -- a true swan song of the composer instead of the requiem.
4. Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 22
I have to admit that I have a soft spot for Mozart's Piano Concertos, and the E flat ones always move me to tears. No. 22's breathtaking Andante and finale put this work as one of my favorite concertante works.
5. Kabalevsky's Piano Concerto No. 3
Jovial work that carries an equal amount of gravity and recollection. This work is shamefully labeled as a child's play more than often, and ah, what a waltz that the second movement has! One of the most moving moments in music.
6. Kapustin's Piano Concerto No. 2
Quite lush work that NEEDS to be published. Urgently. Kapustin's ingenuity fully shines in this lovely work. Its melodies are memorable and quite fun.
7. Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 2
The reason that this work isn't performed too often is beyond me. The writing is much more coherent than his first piano concerto, and the glowing melodies and pianism outshines any of Tchaikovsky's writings for the piano and the orchestra.
8. Medtner's Piano Concerto No. 2
Sometimes, some works escape my vocabulary. This masterpiece by Medtner is one of those works. I can't pinpoint why I love this work so much, but the work, whilst not as atmospheric as the third and as dramatic as the first concerto of Medtner, is unforgettable. Medtner, with his 'forgotten' melodies, often proves himself to be the most unforgettable writer of melodies.
9. C.P.E.Bach Harpsichord Concerto in A minor, H.403 Wq.1
Gorgeous work that deserves to be heard more often.
10. Ludwig Schytte - Piano Concerto Op. 28
Outrageous work. Puts Liszt to shame -- really!

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/29/13 11:28 PM

Originally Posted By: albumblatter
10... try 100! Haha.

This work has to be one of my favorites. The writing itself is quite impressive, but the lyricism is one of the finest. The opening movement's humble woodwinds always get me. And what a finale.. Truly, a work of genius. Hundred times better than Brahms's 2nd Piano Concerto.
This work outshines both Schumann's and Grieg's, both written in the same key. I don't understand why this work isn't more well received.
Miraculous work. Absolutely gorgeous, sparse, and bittersweet. This has to be my favorite work by Mozart -- a true swan song of the composer instead of the requiem.
I have to admit that I have a soft spot for Mozart's Piano Concertos, and the E flat ones always move me to tears. No. 22's breathtaking Andante and finale put this work as one of my favorite concertante works.
Jovial work that carries an equal amount of gravity and recollection. This work is shamefully labeled as a child's play more than often, and ah, what a waltz that the second movement has! One of the most moving moments in music.
Quite lush work that NEEDS to be published. Urgently. Kapustin's ingenuity fully shines in this lovely work. Its melodies are memorable and quite fun.
The reason that this work isn't performed too often is beyond me. The writing is much more coherent than his first piano concerto, and the glowing melodies and pianism outshines any of Tchaikovsky's writings for the piano and the orchestra.
Sometimes, some works escape my vocabulary. This masterpiece by Medtner is one of those works. I can't pinpoint why I love this work so much, but the work, whilst not as atmospheric as the third and as dramatic as the first concerto of Medtner, is unforgettable. Medtner, with his 'forgotten' melodies, often proves himself to be the most unforgettable writer of melodies.

Please tell me this post is a joke. You lost me at the Moszkowski concerto being "a hundred times better than the Brahms 2nd."

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/30/13 12:01 AM

10... try 100! Haha.

Please tell me this post is a joke. You lost me at the Moszkowski concerto being "a hundred times better than the Brahms 2nd."

I was not joking, actually.
Whilst Brahms's solo piano works and chamber works inspire me, his concertos aren't to my liking. Sorry if my personal taste has offended yours.
Posted by: wr

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/30/13 07:11 AM

I was not joking, actually.
Whilst Brahms's solo piano works and chamber works inspire me, his concertos aren't to my liking. Sorry if my personal taste has offended yours.

Your personal taste isn't enough to make the Moszkowski "better" than the Brahms 2nd. And it's not a matter of your personal taste versus the personal taste of any other individual, either. The musical culture that made both concertos possible has some values by which these things get assessed, and those values aren't just about what any given individual may feel, but about certain things the culture as a whole has deemed valuable.

And the Moszkowski, in that larger scheme of things (and lovely though it may be), isn't better than the Brahms 2nd.
Posted by: bennevis

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/30/13 08:14 AM

Let's play the game too grin.

These are my personal top 10, defined as the ones I'd choose to take with me to a desert island, or the ones I'd choose to learn to play (though I've already had a go at most of them), and play them regularly on that desert island, which, even though it's short of food and fresh water, of course has a Bösie Imperial wink . Not all of them are called concertos by the composer, BTW.

In no particular order:
Rach 3
Tchaik 2 (not 1)
Prok 2
Mozart No. 20
Beethoven's Emperor
Kimmo Hakola's Piano Concerto
Vincent d'Indy's Symphony on a French Mountain Song
Busoni's Piano Concerto
Ravel's LH Concerto
Weber's Konzertstück in F minor

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/30/13 08:15 AM

Remind me again why you folks are being so hostile? Did I make you guys upset or anything?
I'll delete my post if I did any injustice to your favorite composers, but this is ridiculous.
Posted by: didyougethathing

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/30/13 11:54 AM

I have a hard time enjoying Saint-Saens' "dark" music. I much prefer the delightful music. Check his "Serenade d'hiver." Sang it in choir last year, and it was a BLAST. Gives me the same joy I get whenever listening to PC Nos. 4 and 5.

But I guess the second is popular for reasons, most notably, Rubinstein? On my Entremont record, it states that the 4th concerto is more popular than the 2nd, so that must have been at the time of the recording... Sad that it fell out of fashion. frown

Much prefer Saint-Saens 5 to any of his others. Such an underrated gem, so concise and well written.

That said, here's a list:

1. Beethoven 4
2. Saint-Saens 5
3. Rach 3/2 tie
4. Grieg
5. Beethoven 5
6. Tchaikovsky
7. Albeniz (that's right)
8. Ravel, G major
9. Mozart 20
10. Ginastera 1

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/30/13 01:34 PM

Remind me again why you folks are being so hostile? Did I make you guys upset or anything?
I'll delete my post if I did any injustice to your favorite composers, but this is ridiculous.

Here, I'll remind you. This is Piano World, home of the ridiculous, so welcome! If I say, "It's a fine, sunny day here in Michigan", I just automatically expect to be challenged in short order.

You're fine, albumblatter. Even if you did make someone upset, so what? Aren't you entitled to have your own list of favorites? Go check out the thread "Experts for Mozart Music". You'll find some of our most highly esteemed veteran members going at it like school kids. And they've been doing it for years, but nobody takes anything personally, and neither should you. Stand your ground (unless you believe you were wrong, of course), and learn to take as good as you give.

Now, to help you get acclimated . . .

Brahms 2nd happens to be MY favorite concerto, so you're wrong!!! laugh

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/30/13 03:43 PM

I'm giving Saint-Saens 2 another chance. Philippe Entremont with Eugene Ormandy/Philly.
Posted by: pianoloverus

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/30/13 03:55 PM

Mozart:d minor
Beethoven:3,4,5
Brahms:1
Chopin:1
Ravel: LH and both hands
Prokofiev:2,3

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/30/13 04:16 PM

I'm giving Saint-Saens 2 another chance. Philippe Entremont with Eugene Ormandy/Philly.

I give more chances to this concerto than any other work, I think. I just can't get past the first movement. I don't "get" it, it's too much like a fantasia, too much starting and stopping.

Love Saint-Saens, love minor keys, but this one confounds me. frown

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/30/13 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: didyougethathing

I give more chances to this concerto [2nd] than any other work, I think. I just can't get past the first movement. I don't "get" it, it's too much like a fantasia, too much starting and stopping.

Even the very tightly constructed 2nd movement? Sheer unfettered delight! It would make a great encore along with the equally delightful finale of the 3rd.

But I still feel that the 5th is by far the best of the bunch. It is a piece I rate very highly (as OSK knows!) even outside of the S-S canon. (It is a better work, IMO, than several concertos I have seen on other lists here. shocked )

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/30/13 04:46 PM

Here, I'll remind you. This is Piano World, home of the ridiculous, so welcome! If I say, "It's a fine, sunny day here in Michigan", I just automatically expect to be challenged in short order.

You're fine, albumblatter. Even if you did make someone upset, so what? Aren't you entitled to have your own list of favorites? Go check out the thread "Experts for Mozart Music". You'll find some of our most highly esteemed veteran members going at it like school kids. And they've been doing it for years, but nobody takes anything personally, and neither should you. Stand your ground (unless you believe you were wrong, of course), and learn to take as good as you give.

Now, to help you get acclimated . . .

Brahms 2nd happens to be MY favorite concerto, so you're wrong!!! laugh

He also claimed that an obscure work by a Ludwig Schytte "put Liszt to shame," which is an assertion I fear I'd have a hard time understanding after hearing the piece in question.

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/30/13 05:24 PM

He also claimed that an obscure work by a Ludwig Schytte "put Liszt to shame," which is an assertion I fear I'd have a hard time understanding after hearing the piece in question.

I've heard the work. (The CD is in my library.) It's actually not bad, and could certainly be revived, along with the Moszkowski, in place of the (all too) standardized stuff we usually get at concerts. (There would have to be one helluva knock-out coupling for me to attend any concert with the Schumann concerto... or Martha would have to be playing.)

But as far as putting Liszt to shame, well that is a bit of a stretch. (To be fair, a fb friend thinks equally highly of the piece, which is why I purchased the CD in the first place.)

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/30/13 05:34 PM

I've heard the work. (The CD is in my library.) It's actually not bad, and could certainly be revived, along with the Moszkowski, in place of the (all too) standardized stuff we usually get at concerts. (There would have to be one helluva knock-out coupling for me to attend any concert with the Schumann concerto... or Martha would have to be playing.)

But as far as putting Liszt to shame, well that is a bit of a stretch. (To be fair, a fb friend thinks equally highly of the piece, which is why I purchased the CD in the first place.)

I've just listened to it, and of course it's "not bad," but when compared to Liszt, I mean...come on. And a lot of it is stolen from Liszt, Chopin, and their contemporaries. The finale is the strongest movement, in my opinion - it's the most original and the most interesting. Still, it pales in comparison to the the finales of Chopin's concerti, for example.

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/30/13 05:53 PM

I've just listened to it, and of course it's "not bad," but when compared to Liszt, I mean...come on. And a lot of it is stolen from Liszt, Chopin, and their contemporaries. The finale is the strongest movement, in my opinion - it's the most original and the most interesting. Still, it pales in comparison to the the finales of Chopin's concerti, for example.

Let me just point out that my favorite pieces are different from your favorite pieces. That's enough for now, I think.
I don't see why I have to get verbally harassed and berated for simply expressing my viewpoint. And I thought that the forums here were enlightening and more engaging than this. So disappointing.

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/30/13 05:59 PM

Let me just point out that my favorite pieces are different from your favorite pieces. That's enough for now, I think.
I don't see why I have to get verbally harassed and berated for simply expressing my viewpoint. And I thought that the forums here were enlightening and more engaging than this. So disappointing.

You must realize that if you are going to make such controversial assertions you are going to be challenged on them. If your viewpoint is that concerti by such composers as Moszkowski and Schytte are vastly superior to those by Liszt and Brahms, we must wonder when something stops being a subjective viewpoint and starts being an objective absurdity.
Posted by: Tararex

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/30/13 06:09 PM

This, by an exponential ranking of awe to the nth.
- Ludwig van Beethoven: Piano Concerto No 5
And then this.
- Bach: Harpsichord Concerto No.1 in D Minor
And these are top favorites for various reasons:
- Ludwig van Beethoven: Piano Concerto No 4
- Ludwig van Beethoven: Piano Concerto No 3
- Franz Liszt: Piano Concerto No 1
- Sergei Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No 2
- Maurice Ravel: Piano Concerto in G
- Handel: Suite in F major
- Camille Saint Saens: Piano Concerto No. 2
- Mozart Piano Concerto No. 23 in A major

And lastly, all others listed thus far in the thread.
Posted by: FreddyChopin

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/30/13 07:58 PM

Besides the famous Rach, Grieg, Beethoven, Brahms etc. the greatest (underplayed) piano concertos

PLEASE Listen to these if you don't know them and make you own judgement!

- Saint Saens 5
- Paderewski 1
- Rubinstein 4
- Rimsky-Korsakov
- Bortkiewicz 1
- d'Albert 1
- Moskowski 1

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/30/13 09:46 PM

...we must wonder when something stops being a subjective viewpoint and starts being an objective absurdity.

Subjective viewpoint: Rach 2 > Rach 3

Objective absurdity: Weber 2 > Beethoven 5

(Secretly, I just love the Weber Eb -it has some gloriously audacious moments, particularly in the last movement- but compared to the Beethoven Eb? Earth to Jason?)

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/30/13 10:00 PM

Brahms 1
Beethoven 5
Brahms 2
Beethoven 4
Liszt 1
Liszt 2
Liszt Hungarian Fantasy smile
Tchaikovsky 1
Rachmaninov 2
Bartok 2 / Prokofiev 2 / Grieg battle for 10th

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/30/13 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By: FreddyChopin

- Saint Saens 5
- Paderewski 1
- Rubinstein 4
- Rimsky-Korsakov
- Bortkiewicz 1
- d'Albert 1
- Moskowski 1

Very original take, and thank-you! I know and love all those concertos, though I would humbly maintain that S-S 5 is the best of the lot.

But the R-K is not far behind, and it mystifies me why this delectably Lisztian concerto is not more often performed. Perhaps just me, but I find the Paderewski rather saccharine, although compared to the other concertos, it is not particularly difficult, and might make a nice alternative to the Grieg for a student.

Rubinstein 4 (definitely the best of his 5) can sometimes sound like so-what-was-all-the-excitement-about?, but in the right hands, it still works a magic. One wonders how the composer sounded in this work; many people praised his playing to the skies.

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/30/13 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Damon

Liszt Hungarian Fantasy smile

Oh Damon, never a dull moment with you! wink
Posted by: BDB

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/30/13 10:06 PM

Subjective viewpoint: One can rank works of art.
Objective absurdity: One can rank works of art!
Posted by: Tararex

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/30/13 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: BDB
Subjective viewpoint: One can rank works of art.
Objective absurdity: One can rank works of art!

Objectively, those statements make perfect sense.
Subjectively, I beg to differ.

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/30/13 10:54 PM

Originally Posted By: FreddyChopin

- Saint Saens 5
- Paderewski 1
- Rubinstein 4
- Rimsky-Korsakov
- Bortkiewicz 1
- d'Albert 1
- Moskowski 1

Very original take, and thank-you! I know and love all those concertos, though I would humbly maintain that S-S 5 is the best of the lot.

But the R-K is not far behind, and it mystifies me why this delectably Lisztian concerto is not more often performed. Perhaps just me, but I find the Paderewski rather saccharine, although compared to the other concertos, it is not particularly difficult, and might make a nice alternative to the Grieg for a student.

Agree on both counts. SS 5 is high up on my list, and I absolutely love the Rimsky-Korsakov. For some reason it is kinda obscure as I didn't know it existed until I was browsing IMSLP. Needs to be played more in concert, I would gladly pay to see it!

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/30/13 11:36 PM

Jason, I love your viewpoint on other concertos you prefer to Rach 3, and you have caused me to listen to them tonight, which is great!! But comparison to the Rach 3? Well... I'll enjoy the suggestions you give me, but I won't compare... As a great pianist once told me, just enjoy. smile I need to learn to do that more! Just enjoy, not compare wink

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/31/13 12:07 AM

I need to learn to do that more! Just enjoy, not compare wink

Point well taken, Ethan. But I always get uncomfortable when people here treat Rach 3 if it were written by, well, God. (This is indeed a piano forum, so critical thought tends to be blind and glaringly biased.)

Everyone seems so impressed with that BIG cadenza which is so foolishly bombastic, almost idiotic in its attempt to be 'important'. Funny that the composer, Horowitz and Argerich knew better, which, apparently is lost on most people here.

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/31/13 12:56 AM

Everyone seems so impressed with that BIG cadenza which is so foolishly bombastic, almost idiotic in its attempt to be 'important'.

While we don't agree on much, we do here, exactly!

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/31/13 07:38 AM

Point well taken, Ethan. But I always get uncomfortable when people here treat Rach 3 if it were written by, well, God. (This is indeed a piano forum, so critical thought tends to be blind and glaringly biased.)

Everyone seems so impressed with that BIG cadenza which is so foolishly bombastic, almost idiotic in its attempt to be 'important'. Funny that the composer, Horowitz and Argerich knew better, which, apparently is lost on most people here.

Objectively, the BIG cadenza is brilliantly bombastic, in keeping with the rest of the concerto. The small one was obviously an afterthought because of Rach's chronic insecurity (if Chopin's cadenzas are so short and concise, his should be too....), and it just sounds like something from Rach/Pag has been transplanted into a different, much bigger, much more chordal and heavyweight work.

If Gieseking, Cliburn, Ashkenazy, Berman, Bronfman, Sokolov, Gavrilov, Berezovsky, Kissin, Pletnev, Lang Lang, Volodos, Matsuev etc all choose the BIG cadenza - and they're all the greatest past and present exponents of this MONUMENTAL work, I think that fact shouldn't be lost on anyone.
BTW, Ashkenazy, Douglas, Pletnev and Berezovsky switched from the small cadenza to the BIG one as they matured. I don't know of anyone who switched from the BIG one to the small one as they matured.

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/31/13 09:17 AM

Originally Posted By: didyougethathing

I give more chances to this concerto [2nd] than any other work, I think. I just can't get past the first movement. I don't "get" it, it's too much like a fantasia, too much starting and stopping.

Even the very tightly constructed 2nd movement? Sheer unfettered delight! It would make a great encore along with the equally delightful finale of the 3rd.

But I still feel that the 5th is by far the best of the bunch. It is a piece I rate very highly (as OSK knows!) even outside of the S-S canon. (It is a better work, IMO, than several concertos I have seen on other lists here. shocked )

There are definitely parts that I enjoy, and the 2nd movement is one of them. The first movement is a turnoff for me for whatever reason, but I guess I need more time; there are plenty of pieces that I didn't care for for a while (like Scarbo, what was I thinking?!). However it was on the radio last night and I listened to a good while and enjoyed it.

I can't praise SS 5 enough, it is just a masterpiece in my opinion. The piano writing is so fantastic; there's no big show-y cadenzas, instead just shimmering fingerwork that weaves in and out with the orchestra. It never overpowers, it just perfectly complements the other instruments.

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/31/13 04:57 PM

I need to learn to do that more! Just enjoy, not compare wink

Not on me, Jason. I completely agree that the small cadenza makes more sense and is better written. My love and reverence for the concerto is not in any way based on its technical difficulty, something you have accused me of multiple times.

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/31/13 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: bennevis

The small [cadenza] was obviously an afterthought because of Rach's chronic insecurity...

I would not be so quick with that conclusion. Not necessarily 'insecurity', perhaps more a factor of re-thinking it? Why did Horowitz never play it?
Quote:
If Gieseking, Cliburn, Ashkenazy, Berman, Bronfman, Sokolov, Gavrilov, Berezovsky, Kissin, Pletnev, Lang Lang, Volodos, Matsuev etc all choose the BIG cadenza - and they're all the greatest past and present exponents of this MONUMENTAL work, I think that fact shouldn't be lost on anyone.

Well that is certainly a stellar cast. I think I have heard all of those recordings (my local classical station plays a new one every week, or so it seems), but a number of them fall into a category of 'modified rapture', or worse, just one more muscle-bound slog through the maze of notes.

I'm surprised you didn't include Andsnes. I also notice that you pointedly excluded Argerich from your list, or is she not valid because she has honestly felt that the more modest cadenza works better? I doubt she would have had any problem with the 'big' one. Is her decision wrong? She is a better pianist, IMO, than a number of those I see above. And her recording, FWIW, has been praised, even if I think she tends to be a bit impatient at times. I would too.

But it's all well and good. Either we think Rach 3 is the greatest piano concerto ever written (which seems to be the consensus here), or is it merely -as in the Bb minor sonata- just a conveyer of technical pyrotechnics frosted on a cake of modest musical architecture?

This is precisely why I honestly feel that R's 2nd concerto is a better piece of music. The integration, nay, the conflict, between technique and architecture is so superbly reconciled.

And yet -to make more enemies- look at the score of Prokofiev's 3rd. One quiet afternoon at work I downloaded the full score and paged through it. I could hear it all in my head, and was continually amazed at every juncture, such a radically new approach. Rachmaninov seemed a bit hum-drum after that.

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/31/13 08:32 PM

Not on me, Jason. I completely agree that the small cadenza makes more sense and is better written. My love and reverence for the concerto is not in any way based on its technical difficulty, something you have accused me of multiple times.

I do not recall any personal accusation since I respect your opinions here, and always have. OTH, you haven't particularly supported me (IIRC) on my preference for the shorter cadenza.

I believe Hank Drake has.

But with all the flurry of activity regarding anything about Rach 3 on this board, I could have missed something, or worse, been rude to you.

I am active on a church music board, and if you think Rach 3 is a flash point, well just get a bunch of organists and choir directors together.

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/31/13 08:43 PM

Not necessarily 'insecurity', perhaps more a factor of re-thinking it? Why did Horowitz never play it?

I'm surprised you didn't include Andsnes. I also notice that you pointedly excluded Argerich from your list, or is she not valid because she has honestly felt that the more modest cadenza works better? I doubt she would have had any problem with the 'big' one. Is her decision wrong? She is a better pianist, IMO, than a number of those I see above. And her recording, FWIW, has been praised, even if I think she tends to be a bit impatient at times. I would too.

But it's all well and good. Either we think Rach 3 is the greatest piano concerto ever written (which seems to be the consensus here), or is it merely -as in the Bb minor sonata- just a conveyer of technical pyrotechnics frosted on a cake of modest musical architecture?

This is precisely why I honestly feel that R's 2nd concerto is a better piece of music. The integration, nay, the conflict, between technique and architecture is so superbly reconciled.

And yet -to make more enemies- look at the score of Prokofiev's 3rd. One quiet afternoon at work I downloaded the full score and paged through it. I could hear it all in my head, and was continually amazed at every juncture, such a radically new approach. Rachmaninov seemed a bit hum-drum after that.

To put it bluntly, I don't think Argerich's Rach 3 is one of her better concerto recordings - precisely because of her impatience & rushing. She sounds too much in a hurry to get it over with, and too much gets lost along the way. (Her Tchaik 1 is similar).
I forgot about Andsnes - yes, he should have been in my august list of pianists who employ the BIG cadenza effectively - because it's by far the best suited to the MONUMENTAL work grin as a whole.

Rach 2 - especially in the finale (I'm thinking of one episode in particular, which sounds like Rach is just marking time, and running out of ideas) doesn't sound to me as consistently inspired as Rach 3. Despite the latter's length, it sounds like the GREAT work it is, and nothing is superfluous to requirements. There's a great profusion of tunes, the harmonies are richer, the counterpoints/inner lines more interesting (in fact, Rach 2 is distinctly lacking in this department), the climaxes more carefully built up, and almost shattering in their intensity when they arrive, and the ending - and that BIG TUNE - is to die for. By its side, Rach 2 is merely a practice run for the composer's masterpiece to come wink .

And plenty of GREAT pianists agree with me. Even Krystian Zimerman feels he's not ready yet to unleash his conception of this MONUMENTAL masterpiece to the musical world.

P.S. My apologies for all this hyperbole. Rach 3 has this effect on me...... thumb

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/31/13 10:11 PM

I do not recall any personal accusation since I respect your opinions here, and always have. OTH, you haven't particularly supported me (IIRC) on my preference for the shorter cadenza.

Well, you're right, you've never made a personal accusation, but you've often implied that the technical difficulty was the reason for the concerto's popularity on this board. As for the shorter cadenza, well, I'm supporting you now. laugh (and I seem to recall several instances in which I have expressed this opinion before on other threads related to the concerto.)

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/31/13 10:40 PM

... the climaxes more carefully built up, and almost shattering in their intensity when they arrive, and the ending - and that BIG TUNE - is to die for. By its side, Rach 2 is merely a practice run for the composer's masterpiece to come wink .

But I thought the climax of the second movement of the 2nd concerto the most perfectly 'built up'. It is wonderful. The BIG TUNE at the close of the 3rd is nothing more, surely, than a rewrite of the 2nd? And rather banal to boot. It makes me squirm.

Quote:
And plenty of GREAT pianists agree with me. Even Krystian Zimerman feels he's not ready yet to unleash his conception of this MONUMENTAL masterpiece to the musical world.
Or has he gone on to better pastures?

Monumental?

Masterpiece?

Oddly silly... (IMO of course.)

Seattle begins its cycle of the Ring next week. Talk about monumental and a masterpiece, but maybe I am in a disconnected, though parallel universe? crazy

Quote:
P.S. My apologies for all this hyperbole. Rach 3 has this effect on me...... thumb

Elgar's music can have that effect on me, but he wasn't much interested in writing for the piano. His symphonies, OTH, display a lot greater mastery than Rachmaninov ever had. But I digress. laugh

We can certainly agree to disagree? Promise I'll let the banalities, oops, glorious revelations, of this bombastic, oops, profound piece gather its energy for a future encounter. In the meantime chacun à son goût!!

thumb smokin thumb
Posted by: Kuanpiano

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 07/31/13 11:12 PM

I need to put a vote in for this!

Kapustin's 4th piano concerto, sounds fresh, energetic, goofy, and very enjoyable to listen to:

(Part 1 of 2)

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 08/01/13 10:10 AM

But I thought the climax of the second movement of the 2nd concerto the most perfectly 'built up'. It is wonderful. The BIG TUNE at the close of the 3rd is nothing more, surely, than a rewrite of the 2nd? And rather banal to boot. It makes me squirm.

thumb smokin thumb

Oddly enough, I was going to say that that particular episode (which is unfortunately repeated) where Rach was obviously marking time in the finale of Rach 2 always made me squirm (- until the advent of CD, when I can just fast-forward that bit grin), but I thought that would be somewhat rude to dear old Rach, but since you have no qualms about using that word.....

That BIG TUNE is the most satisfying conclusion to any of Rach's concertante music, no doubt about it - and the way Rach prepares one for something truly MONUMENTAL (after the drum roll and then the mysterious series of chords by the pianist) never fails to impress: what a sense of architecture! The heart starts racing in anticipation...... wink

No slight on dear old Elgar, but Rach's Symphony No.2 is for me a a masterpiece of symphonic writing, as well as melodic and harmonic invention that Elgar unfortunately cannot match. That clarinet solo in the slow movement, and the way the climax is prepared for much later on, and its eventual arrival......

But you're right, we should agree to disagree. Just like Sibelius and Mahler.............. thumb yippie

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 08/01/13 10:04 PM

But you're right, we should agree to disagree. Just like Sibelius and Mahler.............. thumb yippie

But we didn't disagree about Sibelius. I am certain that I admire him as much as you do. smile

As for Rachmaninov 3, no big deal. Perhaps I was just being the devil's advocate, and your responses were always interesting to read... as they are in general.

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 08/02/13 04:50 AM

But we didn't disagree about Sibelius. I am certain that I admire him as much as you do. smile

As for Rachmaninov 3, no big deal. Perhaps I was just being the devil's advocate, and your responses were always interesting to read... as they are in general.

I actually meant Sibelius v Mahler, on the nature of the symphony. I don't know whether they parted the best of friends, or simmering with rage that the other could be so.....opinionated grin .

BTW, did we ever disagree about Mahler's Piano Concerto No.1, and its seventh movement cadenza? wink
Posted by: babama

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 08/02/13 06:49 AM

Too little mention of Scriabin concerto in this thread. My favorite recording is Ashkenazy/Jablonski.
Posted by: Brad Hoehne

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 08/02/13 11:44 AM

My List:

1. Mozart 20
2. Bach Keyboard Concerto F Minor BWV 1056
3. Beethoven 5
4. Beethoven 4
5. Mozart 23
6. Prokofiev 3
7. Ravel in G
8. Liszt 1
9. Grieg A-minor
10 Mozkowski 1

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 08/02/13 02:31 PM

Anybody wanna talk about Busoni?

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 08/02/13 02:43 PM

Besides me? wink

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 08/02/13 02:45 PM

Besides me? wink

smile

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 08/02/13 06:17 PM

Never heard it. Keep meaning to.
Posted by: John Wheeler

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 02/24/14 09:05 PM

The ones that really move me, in rough order, but with the Saint-Saens being a definite first:

Saint-Saens 2
Rach 2
Shostakovich 1 for Piano, Trumpet and Strings
Beethoven 3
Scriabin F-minor

The above all moved me so much that I spent years working them each up.

I also like the Schumann, Grieg, Brahms 1, and many others, but not enough to spend the time to actually rehearse them up. That's the real test of true love to me.

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 02/24/14 09:24 PM

Welcome to the forum!

No Bach? Mozart? Chopin?
Posted by: ScriabinAddict

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 02/24/14 09:55 PM

For me anyways: (In approximate order)

Scriabin
Liszt 2
Brahms 2, 1
Beethoven 4
Mozart 20
Medtner 1
Moszkowski (or Bortkiewicz 1/Rach 3)
Barber
Ravel Lefty
Posted by: Roland The Beagle

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 02/24/14 10:07 PM

Camille Saint Sans - Piano Concerto No. 5 in F Major
Sergei Prokofiev - Piano Concerto No. 3 in C Major
Alfred Schnittke - Piano Concerto
Alfred Schnittke - Concerto for Piano and String Orchestra
Feruccio Busoni - Piano Concerto in C Major
Sergei Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 3 in D Minor
Sergei Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2 in C Minor
W.A. Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 19 in F Major
Shostakovich - Piano Concerto No. 2 in F Major

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 02/24/14 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Roland The Beagle
Camille Saint Sans - Piano Concerto No. 5 in F Major
Sergei Prokofiev - Piano Concerto No. 3 in C Major
Alfred Schnittke - Piano Concerto
Alfred Schnittke - Concerto for Piano and String Orchestra
Feruccio Busoni - Piano Concerto in C Major
Sergei Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 3 in D Minor
Sergei Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2 in C Minor
W.A. Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 19 in F Major
Shostakovich - Piano Concerto No. 2 in F Major

Oh come now. Where are Bach and Beethoven? laugh And not one Schnittke work but two. Daring! grin

I am partial to the Saint-Saens, but I wouldn't include it among the ten greatest.
Posted by: Verbum mirabilis

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 02/25/14 11:36 AM

I just listened to Ravel's G major concerto and I have to say it's brilliant.
Posted by: maxmila

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 02/25/14 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Damon

Never heard it. Keep meaning to.

LOL. My take on that concerto is that the orchestral introduction is wonderfully brahmsian and the rest of the concerto unfortunately isn't. Seriously, the sudden change of style and mood few moments before the piano's entrance is a big turn-off for me.
Posted by: Pathbreaker

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 02/25/14 05:15 PM

That's the part that almost makes the whole concerto for me.

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 02/25/14 05:26 PM

I do like the Busoni concerto a lot, but it is much too derivative to put it on any kind of a greatest concertos list. There are hordes of more worthy concerti from the same era.

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 02/25/14 05:31 PM

Quote:
Seriously, the sudden change of style and mood a few moments before the piano's entrance is a big turn-off for me.

You mean this part 12 measures prior to the piano's entrance?

I would agree with Pathbreaker. It's brilliant.

Posted by: maxmila

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 02/26/14 01:06 PM

Yes, just from there. Busoni is one of my favorite 20th-century composer but not in the Concerto, I prefer his late piano music mostly (some of the Elegien and the Sonatinas, the Toccata, the Chopin Variations, the Fantasia nach Bach).

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 02/26/14 09:32 PM

Perhaps you've forgotten that you already posted a list in this thread. ha

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 02/26/14 09:38 PM

I will delete it! Sorry for duplicate posting. I thought I only posted it once.

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 02/27/14 12:35 AM

You have previously posted a list, if I remember correctly, but it was not precisely the same list.
Posted by: pjang23

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 02/27/14 01:37 AM

Brahms 2
Brahms 1
Mozart 27
Mozart 23
Ravel G major
Mozart 20
Beethoven 4
Mozart 24
Prokofiev 3
Bach D minor
Posted by: Hrodulf

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 02/27/14 12:59 PM

I'd like to add Bach-Vivaldi Concerto in A minor for Four Harpichords BWV 1065 just because I think it's exceptional and there should be some Bach on the list.
Posted by: Pathbreaker

Re: Top 10 Greatest Piano Concertos! - 02/27/14 01:13 PM

Today's list:

Mozart 17
Mendelssohn 2 (d minor)
Schumann
Chopin 2
Brahms 1 & 2
Liszt 2
Rachmaninoff 1
Prokofiev 2
Ravel 2