BachScholar - What do we think of him?

Posted by: debrucey

BachScholar - What do we think of him? - 03/24/09 04:18 AM

Ignorant, pretentious and unfounded theories on a Richard Kastle scale? Or a refreshing and interesting re-evaluation of Bach's work? What do we think of him?

If anyone doesn't know who I'm talking about, search for his videos on Youtube. The one where he compares himself to a prophet is quite good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tRVudoNMLA

laugh
Posted by: Bart Kinlein

Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? - 03/24/09 05:12 AM

Best ignored.
Posted by: keyboardklutz

Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? - 03/24/09 05:33 AM

A crank.
Posted by: Phlebas

Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? - 03/24/09 06:29 AM

Before the days of the Internet - YouTube, blogging, etc. - there were untold numbers of theories, opinions, "research"... that never saw the light of day, and rightly so.

Crackpots like BachScholar, and Richard Kastle would not have been heard from or about.

Now anyone with a tin hat, and a video camera can get "discussed," and "debated" about.
Posted by: pianovirus

Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? - 03/24/09 09:03 AM

I agree with the previous posters on this particular "research". However, more generally, one should caution not to dismiss all unorthodox ideas immediately just because they are off the mainstream thinking. A quick and quite reliable indicator for me is the intensity and tone in which something is advertised. This is somehow common all across the field and including Kastle, BachScholar and the likes. Oddly this also happens even with people like Stephen Wolfram who have achieved something notable before (Mathematica) but then went nuts ("A new kind of science").
In contrast, people with really good ideas or achievements are often much more relaxed and do not promote them so aggressively. Mahler once was asked by a friend to do more for promoting his symphonies (which were much misunderstood in their mix of "high" and "low" art elements). His reply apparently was that he is quite confident that they will become better appreciated and understood over time, and "I don't need to live to see them becoming immortal".
Posted by: debrucey

Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? - 03/24/09 06:49 PM

I'm dubious of anyone who says that their scientific theory came from divine intervention. BachScholar doesn't really explain a lot in his videos (and you have to pay for his essays, ahem). He also trails the comment strings on his vids in a very Richard Kastle/mikecaffey way.
Posted by: Horowitzian

Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? - 03/24/09 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By: keyboardklutz
A crank.

Agreed. Yikes! sick
Posted by: LiszThalberg

Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? - 03/24/09 08:16 PM

At least he can play pretty well. There are tons of people on YouTube that probably don't play piano making rants and bad comments on people's videos.

Matt
Posted by: Horowitzian

Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? - 03/24/09 09:39 PM

That's true. One reason why I never read the comments.
Posted by: keyboardklutz

Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? - 03/25/09 02:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Debussy20
At least he can play pretty well.
Notice he uses a stiff arm/wrist for accents when he should be fingers only. Whether modern or 18th century technique, the wrists should be light. Besides, reducing such a great work to its least important aspect is a nonsense, like discussing what hair gel Napoleon used.
Posted by: Coolkid70

Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? - 04/05/09 01:43 PM

I know that this is a bit old, but I wanted to post some discussion on Cory Hall (BachScholar) by some academics.

https://lists.wu-wien.ac.at/pipermail/earlym-l/2008-December/008045.html
Posted by: jdhampton924

Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? - 04/05/09 07:43 PM

Well I have heard worse bach, but the guy has a huge ego either way. That video was worth a laugh though with the new age music starting it off then I assume Bach.

The whole Abraham thing, reminded me of my 21st birthday.. haha
Posted by: djtoast

Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? - 04/06/09 08:22 PM

I just watched a couple of his videos. Unless I'm missing something, he seems to be saying "if you play Bach's pieces at such a speed that they all take exactly one minute, then they're all the same length. Which proves that the correct tempo is that which makes them a minute long." (Or multiples therof, etc. Well I know I'm simplifying things but then so is he!)

I actually enjoyed his Goldbergs more than I expected to - although that's maybe more down to how Bach wrote 'em then how he played 'em. For instance, number 30 sounded a bit like a march - he could be more delicate with phrasing. And I can't help thinking that's rather sad, because his slightly mechanical approach probably stems from his fixation with tempo as the starting point for interpretation, rather than melody, harmonic progression etc. And his technique seems like it would be sufficient to lift him above that if it weren't hampered by his odd ideas.

And yes, the music that followed the new age, er, "moment" was Bach, from the Musical Offering, no?
Posted by: chopinlover88

Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? - 02/18/13 01:13 AM

I know this is super old, but after watching some of his videos, Im confused on how he plays with such stiff wrists? I notice the pieces that require touch and character, like some of the chopin pieces, sound very empty and robotic. He has several degrees in music performance and Im just confused on how things are taught? I started piano lessons a year ago and my instructor wont let me play a note without rotating my wrists and having lots of wrist and hand flexibility. Is this not universal-ish?
Posted by: carey

Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? - 02/18/13 01:28 AM

Originally Posted By: chopinlover88
I know this is super old, but after watching some of his videos, Im confused on how he played with such stiff wrists? I notice his pieces that require touch and character, like some of the chopin pieces, are very empty and robotic. He has several degrees in music performance and Im just confused on how things are taught? I started piano lessons a year ago and my instructor wont let me play a note without rotating my wrists and having lots of wrist and hand flexibility. Is this not universal-ish?

Apparently not.

And don't forget about keeping your arms relaxed as well.

I am impressed, however, by the amount of music BachScholar has memorized !!
Posted by: chopinlover88

Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? - 02/18/13 01:42 AM

Originally Posted By: carey
I know this is super old, but after watching some of his videos, Im confused on how he played with such stiff wrists? I notice his pieces that require touch and character, like some of the chopin pieces, are very empty and robotic. He has several degrees in music performance and Im just confused on how things are taught? I started piano lessons a year ago and my instructor wont let me play a note without rotating my wrists and having lots of wrist and hand flexibility. Is this not universal-ish?

Apparently not.

And don't forget about keeping your arms relaxed as well.

I am impressed, however, by the amount of music BachScholar has memorized !!

thanks! that is pretty impressive.. I feel like he has reached a ceiling in his expressiveness.. but of course this is a very limited amt of experience talking.
Posted by: JoelW

Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? - 02/18/13 01:53 AM

His video was removed. Can someone please explain to me his position? I have heard him play. His Chopin is dry and his Bach is decent. That's about all I can say. What's all this talk about him being a 'prophet'?
Posted by: ChopinAddict

Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? - 02/18/13 02:07 AM

I think he has more subscribers and views than he deserves.
Posted by: UberB

Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? - 02/26/13 09:57 PM

I know this is super old, but after watching some of his videos, Im confused on how he plays with such stiff wrists? I notice the pieces that require touch and character, like some of the chopin pieces, sound very empty and robotic. He has several degrees in music performance and Im just confused on how things are taught? I started piano lessons a year ago and my instructor wont let me play a note without rotating my wrists and having lots of wrist and hand flexibility. Is this not universal-ish?

It's because he's bad.
Posted by: jotur

Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? - 02/26/13 10:14 PM

Whoa! One post by keyboardklutz and one by Phlebas before I realized this was an old thread! Nostalgia smile

Cathy