"Best pianist in the world"

Posted by: izaldu

"Best pianist in the world" - 05/20/09 11:23 AM

Today at work i've been offered a couple tickets for this evening. There is a recital by Jue Wang. Two people approached me to offer tickets (weird), saying he s the "best pianist in the world". I didn't even know him.

Surely this may come from some kind of promotion , i just can't believe these guys made it up brfore having heard the phrase ...
Posted by: Horowitzian

Re: "Best pianist in the world" - 05/20/09 11:27 AM

Rest assured that it's a hook to get you into the concert. "Best pianist in the world" is about as subjective as it gets. smile
Posted by: Michiyo-Fir

Re: "Best pianist in the world" - 05/20/09 11:30 AM

I've never heard of him either. I didn't see any footage on him on youtube either.

But I don't think there's a best pianist in the world...I mean different people play different styles. Who's to jude who's the best?
Posted by: Ridicolosamente

Re: "Best pianist in the world" - 05/20/09 11:52 AM

Did you buy them? smile
Posted by: epf

Re: "Best pianist in the world" - 05/20/09 12:05 PM

He's a young (born in 1984) Chinese pianist and has had some success in international competitions -- although he doesn't seem to have competed in too many recently. I don't know what it means to be the "best pianist in the world" since that is simply too general a statement to have any meaning.

Ed
Posted by: BruceD

Re: "Best pianist in the world" - 05/20/09 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Horowitzian
Rest assured that it's a hook to get you into the concert. "Best pianist in the world" is about as subjective as it gets. smile

... and as meaningless!

Regards,
Posted by: Drunk3nFist

Re: "Best pianist in the world" - 05/20/09 03:42 PM

They want your money. Run! laugh
Posted by: signa

Re: "Best pianist in the world" - 05/20/09 04:22 PM

if they can sell you the tickets for half price or something close, then you might just go to the recital and see how he plays.

there're many very good pianists in the world (although we may not say they're the best), and some of them are relatively unknown. so, who knows, this recital might be a good one.
Posted by: BDB

Re: "Best pianist in the world" - 05/20/09 06:46 PM

As far as I am concerned, any pianist is the best pianist in the world.

Is there any reason not to go?
Posted by: pianoloverus

Re: "Best pianist in the world" - 05/20/09 06:47 PM

Best pianist? I thought Harpo and Liberace had died?
Posted by: SeilerFan

Re: "Best pianist in the world" - 05/20/09 06:52 PM

He is an impostor! I am the "best pianist in the world."
Posted by: izaldu

Re: "Best pianist in the world" - 05/21/09 06:43 AM

Haha sorry, i forgot to mention these were free tickets, offered by well meant friends. It was funny that the guys (not erally into music) both said "apparently he 's the best pianist in the , probably organizers have mentioned that somewhere ... weird
Posted by: Damon

Re: "Best pianist in the world" - 05/21/09 08:13 AM

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
Best pianist? I thought Harpo and Liberace had died?

Chico kicked Harpo's rear. smile