PBS Special

Posted by: heidiv

PBS Special - 06/19/09 09:42 AM

I just read in the Wall Street Journal this morning that PBS is having a special on Wednesday 6/24 from 9-11 EST entitled "The Music Instinct: Science and Song."(Sorry I'm not posting a link to the article. I think you need to subscribe to open it).

Yo-Yo Ma and Oliver Sachs will be featured. Topics include "is musicality unique to humans, are music responses learned," etc. The reviewer (Nancy deWolf Smith) says "there isn't a boring moment here."

Just wanted to pass along the info in case anyone was interested. I'm setting my recorder!

heidiv
Posted by: survivordan

Re: PBS Special - 06/19/09 09:47 AM

Me too! Thanks!
Posted by: sotto voce

Re: PBS Special - 06/19/09 10:14 AM

Wow, thanks for the heads-up! This promises to be very interesting. Here's the PBS page for the program:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/musicinstinct/

Steven
Posted by: Andromaque

Re: PBS Special - 06/19/09 10:30 AM

A wealth of information on that website. Enjoyed Daniel Barenboim's comments about sound and silence and Yo To Ma' Bach Sarabande.
Thanks guys!
Posted by: heidiv

Re: PBS Special - 06/19/09 01:43 PM

Thanks for the PBS link, Steven. I'm still getting used to all this technology! Perhaps after the program is aired we can all meet back here to chat about it.

Heidi
Posted by: BruceD

Re: PBS Special - 06/19/09 02:26 PM

For those in the Pacific Northwest, it will be aired on KCTS9 on Wednesday, 24th at 9:00 p.m.

Regards,
Posted by: Piano World

Re: PBS Special - 06/19/09 03:03 PM

Looks interesting, thanks for posting.

Now I just have to remember to watch :-)
Posted by: Tenuto

Re: PBS Special - 06/20/09 01:06 AM

Originally Posted By: heidiv
I just read in the Wall Street Journal this morning that PBS is having a special on Wednesday 6/24 from 9-11 EST entitled "The Music Instinct: Science and Song."(Sorry I'm not posting a link to the article. I think you need to subscribe to open it).

Yo-Yo Ma and Oliver Sachs will be featured. Topics include "is musicality unique to humans, are music responses learned," etc. The reviewer (Nancy deWolf Smith) says "there isn't a boring moment here."

Just wanted to pass along the info in case anyone was interested. I'm setting my recorder!

heidiv

Thanks so much for posting this. Sounds like a great program!

best wishes,
Valerie
Posted by: musdan

Re: PBS Special - 06/20/09 10:19 AM

Thanks for the info - will be sure to watch this special on 6/24