How Do I Start A Pianophile Group in Delaware?

Posted by: qtpi

How Do I Start A Pianophile Group in Delaware? - 09/13/10 12:28 PM

I live in Delaware and would enjoy some piano get-togethers. How do I start one? What do you do during the meetings? Any ideas and help would be much appreciated!
Posted by: Piano World

Re: How Do I Start A Pianophile Group in Delaware? - 09/13/10 01:24 PM

qtpi,

Take a look at a few of the parties listed here for some ideas:
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/21/1

Generally speaking they tend to be relaxed and fun, with everyone taking turns playing. There are usually snacks with everyone bringing something to share.

Posting like you did here is a good place to start, although you might want to mention it in one (or more) of the forums geared toward playing (Pianist Corner, ABF, etc.).

I'll try to remember to mention your post in our next newsletter too.

Oh, and if you do end up hosting a Piano Forums Party/Get-Together, remember we like pictures :-)
Posted by: ec

Re: How Do I Start A Pianophile Group in Delaware? - 09/25/10 01:36 AM

I puzzled for years over how to do it in the Los Angeles area (huge distances, multiple cities under one umbrella, etc, etc.).
Finally got it going by using Meetup software (not free but affordable and reasonably user friendly smile Take a look at
http://www.meetup.com/Long-Beach-Piano-Meetup-Group/ and drop ma a line if I can help in any way.

E. Carol Dales
Organizer
Long Beach Piano Meetup Group
Posted by: I.Solo

Re: How Do I Start A Pianophile Group in Delaware? - 01/29/11 10:01 PM

I know you posted this several months ago... any luck? I'm in the DC area and would be interested in something in DC/MD if you hear of anything.
Posted by: lilylady

Re: How Do I Start A Pianophile Group in Delaware? - 02/01/11 08:57 AM

I.Solo

There are numerous piano events in the DC/MD area. I am aware that Eric Himy presents recitals there fairly often. You might attend and get to know other pianists in the area. Check his website.

Look up Catlady (here on PW) who hosted piano parties when her store was open. She might give you a local list of contacts.

Check out PianoAgain (here on PW) who enjoys getting together with other musicians. She is a cellist and pianist.

Check out PianoDad (here on PW) as he is also active here and knows others in the area.

Post not only in this area but the popular PW areas and offer to host a party. No, you don't have to have a big house, nor a special piano... Most just enjoy sharing music and eating!!! Keep it simple.

Good luck.
Posted by: TBrown

Re: How Do I Start A Pianophile Group in Delaware? - 02/28/11 05:16 PM

I, too, would be interested in some piano get togethers in the DE area. I live in N. Wilmington.

I've only just started to dedicate myself to learning piano, so certainly wouldn't be able to contribute much musically to a meet-up. It's been quite a while since I've heard a decent pianist in person (i.e. not on YouTube!), so I'd be excited to hear one play and, now that I've started playing, talk to them about everything.
Posted by: qtpi

Re: How Do I Start A Pianophile Group in Delaware? - 03/25/11 02:31 AM

HI T- Check out the Wilmington Music School's website. Their faculty often give concerts- I have been to two and they are very enjoyable.
Posted by: TBrown

Re: How Do I Start A Pianophile Group in Delaware? - 03/27/11 11:41 AM

Hi qtpi,

Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look at Wilmington Music School.

My wife and I have been to a couple of concerts in the past few weeks (ever since I've started playing I've been searching for more to go to!). We went to Bugs Bunny at the Symphony last weekend and a couple of weeks before then we saw Joe Holt up at the Darlington Arts Center in Garnet Valley area. Joe was excellent!