Denver ABF members piano party!

Posted by: Strings & Wood

Denver ABF members piano party! - 11/04/11 09:27 AM

WiseBuff will be hosting the party on December 18th 2:00PM - 5:00PM...ish. This will be a casual get together to meet and play if you are willing. There will also be a "special guest performer".

Guest include:

Jotur, Inlanding, Randy Karasik, hawgdriver, Mile Hi Steve, Colin Dunn, Strings&Wood.

Post here & PM me for details.

Posted by: Colin Dunn

Re: Denver ABF members piano party! - 11/07/11 05:53 PM

Looking forward to the piano party! I missed the one in the summer so will be glad to be there in December!
Posted by: beechcraft409

Re: Denver ABF members piano party! - 12/05/11 05:27 PM

Dang it. I'm flying into Denver on the 19th.

Re: Denver ABF members piano party! - 12/08/11 09:51 AM

Sorry about the timing beechcraft409. Maybe next time.

Have safe/fun with your snowboarding trip and hope the mountains get good snow.
We lived in Summit County for several years and I always enjoyed those first runs down the mountain, early in the morning, after new snow.

Re: Denver ABF members piano party! - 12/09/11 11:36 PM

The Denver ABF piano party originally scheduled for Dec 18th has been move to January 15th.

Re: Denver ABF members piano party! - 01/16/12 12:52 PM

EDIT: Added Marian's name (I'm so terrible with names)

The Denver ABF piano party was a success! A handful of PW members got together the afternoon of the 15th at Karen's (WiseBuff) place and played her beautiful-looking and sounding Grotrian grand piano.

Who was there?
Karen (WiseBuff) and Jim - our hosts!
Marian (Karen's piano teacher)
Carl (Strings & Wood)
Steve (Mile Hi Steve)
Hawgdriver
Colin Dunn

And a few pictures snapped at the event:

1. Marian and Karen listening to everyone play the piano.

2. Carl sitting in the chair, Hawgdriver playing the piano, and Jim entertaining Mystique (the dog).

3. Unfortunately, this photo turned out blurry ... but that's Mile Hi Steve on the left and Colin Dunn on the right.

4. Hawgdriver at the Grotrian grand piano. He played his pieces from memory! Which allowed the rest of us to admire the woodwork on the music desk. The rest of us used sheet music.

Re: Denver ABF members piano party! - 01/16/12 01:03 PM

For everyone at the party -

If you liked the two Scarlatti-like pieces I played, they were written by Toby Tenenbaum.

He is based in Boulder, and has published the "Tenenbaum Sonatas" book himself. He also has recorded these sonatas and published a CD ... if you want to hear how the composer intended them to be played.

Toby's Web site is: www.tobytenenbaum.com.
Posted by: hawgdriver

Re: Denver ABF members piano party! - 01/16/12 01:12 PM

Good times--thanks again, Karen!
Posted by: WiseBuff

Re: Denver ABF members piano party! - 01/16/12 01:41 PM

Enjoyed the whole afternoon. Let's make this a regular practice

Re: Denver ABF members piano party! - 01/16/12 02:03 PM

Thank you Jim & Karen for your generous hospitality and for offering your home and piano for this ABF party. Your piano room is perfect for the splendid Cara Schumann Grotrian piano.
It was a perfect afternoon of music and be sure to pass along my gratitude to Marian for her outstanding performance.

Carl
Posted by: jotur

Re: Denver ABF members piano party! - 01/16/12 05:34 PM

Maybe Mystique took that fuzzy, picture, eh?

Thanks for the pictures and reports - looks like it was a wonderful time. Maybe Glen and I can both make it next time.

I was thinking of perhaps hosting in Santa Fe if people would come - my place is small, but the community room at one of the retirement homes I play at would work, and I could probably find hospitality for some folks. The guests could be Roaring Jelly - nothing like a little Irish/Scottish/Old-time with oom-pah piano, no?

But, wherever, I hope to make the next get-together - looks like it was great.

Cathy
Posted by: Inlanding

Re: Denver ABF members piano party! - 01/17/12 12:47 PM

Looks like everyone had fun - nice images. Thanks for reports, too. Sorry you couldn't make there, either, Cathy.

Next time, I will bring the recorder to capture audio. I look forward to seeing everyone again.

Glen
Posted by: Mile Hi Steve

Re: Denver ABF members piano party! - 01/23/12 12:11 AM

Thanks to everyone at the semi-annual mile hi piano party. Great music, great people, great piano. And thanks Carl for the ride there.