new york city in october

Posted by: piqué

new york city in october - 08/16/03 11:59 AM

ok, maybe this time i'll be giving enough notice. \:\) not sure which forum this belongs in, but i bet this location will have the highest profile, so here goes:

i'm going to be in new york on business the last two weeks of october. i won't be available the weekend of the 25th-26th, as i'll be at my folks in new jersey--my dad is performing that weekend with his chamber music society (his health permitting).

other than that, i'll be around and available and very interested in meeting anyone from piano world who would like to get together. if enough people are interested, maybe we could meet at a concert and/or have dinner and announce the plans here. (?)
Posted by: Piano World

Re: new york city in october - 08/16/03 12:58 PM

I'm in Manhattan every couple of weeks.
Keep me posted.

- Frank B.
Piano World

Re: new york city in october - 08/16/03 02:07 PM

you're definitely on the list, frank.

do you think you could post a notice at the main piano forum directing people to look here? i don't think many people are regularly checking out this location. thanks.
Posted by: justme

Re: new york city in october - 08/16/03 04:57 PM

pique,
I'm sorry I'll miss you. I'll be in NYC in September. Darn..... \:\(
Now I'm not too far from Philadelphia (about 1 1/2hours) if anyone wants to meet up there. \:\)
Posted by: concertkey

Re: new york city in october - 08/16/03 10:35 PM

Hmmmm... how about we all meet at Altenburgs and play our own renditions of "Autumn in New York?" \:\) Keep me posted.

Re: new york city in october - 08/17/03 12:27 AM

concertkey,
Where is Altenburgs, and how receptive do you think they would be to us invading their place?

I will likely be in NY (Manhattan) next week, if anyone will be around.

- Frank B.
Piano World

Re: new york city in october - 08/17/03 12:49 AM

altenburgs is in elizabeth, nj, a 20 minute train ride from penn station. if someone on the forums who has bought a piano from them were to approach them, they might be receptive, who knows?

we also have forum members who have bought from faust-harrison, beethoven's, steinway hall, and piano piano.

faust-harrison and steinway hall already host piano events. possibly one of their events might coincide with when we all might be free to get together?
Posted by: Phlebas

Re: new york city in october - 08/17/03 08:28 AM

Keep us posted. Meeting for a concert is a great idea.

Re: new york city in october - 08/17/03 11:36 AM

maybe some of our new yorkers are able to get event listings for the major halls, dealers, and conservatories for the latter half of october as early as now?

i can attend an event any night from october 15th through october 29th, if i have enough notice. (with the exception of the 25-26th, as aforementioned).

where are bernard and lucy-in-the-sky? i hope not blacked out still. bernard has been good about posting concerts to meet at in the past.

pianoloverus might have the concert schedule for mannes...?
Posted by: PianoMuse

Re: new york city in october - 08/17/03 04:40 PM

I go to school in PA, but grew up right outside of NYC, so I would be happy to go! (We should have one in Philly, too). Meeting at a concert would be cool- and then maybe going out afterwards or something? that would be neat.
Posted by: PerfectPitch

Re: new york city in october - 08/18/03 11:16 AM

I will be playing 1/31/04 at Cami Hall NYC 2:30 p.m. and also 10/18/03 at 7:30 p.m. in Mount Vernon, NY. The directions can be found at my website. I think they are going to have refreshments in Mount Vernon afterwards. It would be nice to meet someone in the forum!

Stephen.

Re: new york city in october - 08/18/03 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PianoMuse:
I go to school in PA, but grew up right outside of NYC, so I would be happy to go! (We should have one in Philly, too). Meeting at a concert would be cool- and then maybe going out afterwards or something? that would be neat. [/b]
pianomuse,
where do you go to school? If you want you can privately email the answer. I come up to Philly around once a month for different selling events and would love to get together. I love the historical section of the city, we could all meet down there.

If anyone wants to have a meeting in Baltimore...Let's do it before things get too busy in the fall!
Posted by: Bernard

Re: new york city in october - 08/18/03 05:46 PM

Hi, pique. Just found this thread. I was blacked out from 4:11pm Thursday to 2:00pm Friday.

I'd be happy to host a party at my place again, only this time I'd prefer a weekend evening, maybe the 18th or 19th? Perhaps some other New Yorker would also like to host; I don't want to hog all the fun. If I do it, I may think about asking everyone to bring something.

Let me know what you all think.
Posted by: johnmoonlight

Re: new york city in october - 08/20/03 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by justme:
 Quote:
Originally posted by PianoMuse:
I go to school in PA, but grew up right outside of NYC, so I would be happy to go! (We should have one in Philly, too). Meeting at a concert would be cool- and then maybe going out afterwards or something? that would be neat. [/b]
pianomuse,
where do you go to school? If you want you can privately email the answer. I come up to Philly around once a month for different selling events and would love to get together. I love the historical section of the city, we could all meet down there.

If anyone wants to have a meeting in Baltimore...Let's do it before things get too busy in the fall! [/b]
Hi JM. I would love to meet in Baltimore sometime. I'm only 50 minutes away. Let me know.

Re: new york city in october - 08/20/03 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by johnmoonlight:
Hi JM. I would love to meet in Baltimore sometime. I'm only 50 minutes away. Let me know. [/b]
Great! We'll see who else we can get to meet. I wonder if Steve Cohen is game. Hey, Steve, you're not too far away. Anyone else? It doesn't have to be Baltimore.
Gettysburg might be fun?
Posted by: Ed

Re: new york city in october - 08/20/03 07:58 PM

For those discussing a Baltimore meeting/party (justme, johnmoonlight): let's start another topic to discuss Baltimore/DC/Annapolis options.

Re: new york city in october - 08/20/03 10:56 PM

bernard,

thanks for generously offering your place again. that was a really special party last year, and you are an exceptional host. we were lucky to have your gracious apartment and excellent piano to play.

it's good to know your place is available in a pinch. maybe on that weekend during the daytime would work well, if we are to convene in the further reaches of brooklyn? though possibly that would exclude some, like frank, who are only in the area during the week.

will people please post what is workable for them, so we can try to be as inclusive as possible? weekend or weekday? night or day? manhattan or outer borough?

at the very least i hope you and i get to see each other again, bernard. we should definitely plan on that.

maybe you'd be interested in touring the musical instrument collection at the met museum of art? what do you think?

i'm going to try to find out more about concerts in manhattan we might all convene at. for those traveling from a distance (westchester, new jersey, philadelphia?) a manhattan location might make the difference in whether they can attend or not.

all ideas and suggestions welcome here. don't be shy.
Posted by: lucy in the sky_dup1

Re: new york city in october - 08/21/03 12:15 AM

Hi, Pique,

I just discovered this board and your thread. I think that a NYC gathering would be a blast. I don't care about location, but the only nights I'm ever free are weekend nights. However, rumor has it that I'm getting pulled off sabbatical to teach a post-doc class on Sunday, probably in the early evening. Even if this is true, I can most likely switch the time of a single class for something of great cultural importance like a piano forum party "

Re: new york city in october - 08/21/03 01:17 AM

P.S. to pique,

I hope that your dad is feeling ok! \:\)

Re: new york city in october - 08/22/03 01:39 AM

Quote:
maybe you'd be interested in touring the musical instrument collection at the met museum of art? what do you think?
Oh, yes!!

Quote:
i'm going to try to find out more about concerts in manhattan we might all convene at. for those traveling from a distance (westchester, new jersey, philadelphia?) a manhattan location might make the difference in whether they can attend or not.
I'll do the same, and you make a very good point. We can be creative... the only thing is: we can't have a PianoWorld get together (party) without a piano. Now I was just thinking that I don't think I'd have too much trouble getting the conference room at work as a space to hold a get together (no promises yet, of course) but the problem is it has no piano. How can that be!? I'd be in heaven if the conference room had a piano--I could take my breaks in there!

Re: new york city in october - 08/22/03 10:43 AM

well, bernard, perhaps a manhattan forum member will come to our rescue in the piano department. or possibly we could meet at a showroom like steinway or faust-harrison (even altenburg's is still exceedingly convenient from midtown). has anyone here bought from them and would you feel comfortable approaching them about hosting us?

it's crossed my mind to ask carl at beethoven's, but their showroom is very cramped, and carl is a bit absent-minded....

for myself, i would be very happy with the concert-and-dinner scenario. maybe it's because i haven't built up a huge repertoire since we last met! ;\) but also, for some people, meeting strangers for the first time in new york, it is more comfortable to meet in a public space. it also removes the pressure/burden for someone to do all the work of hosting.

what do others have to say about this?

perhaps, soon, we should post announcements in the other forums that people should come here to participate in the planning.... i'm not sure all our new york members are aware of this thread.

Re: new york city in october - 08/22/03 11:19 AM

I'm up for anything.
Christian Zimerman is playing Beethoven 4 on Fri. Oct.31st at 8:00pm, at Lincoln Center. That's the best listing I've seen for the last two weeks of Oct.

Re: new york city in october - 08/22/03 11:53 AM

oh, rats! i fly home the morning of october 30th. \:\(

phlebas, how do you find out what concerts are scheduled this far in advance? is there a website we could look at?

Re: new york city in october - 08/22/03 12:29 PM

Pique,

I figured you had these sites:
www.lincolncenter.org
www.carnegiehall.org

I'll check others.

Re: new york city in october - 08/24/03 12:27 AM

Maybe we can have it all! Or in the words of a recent Coffee forum thread "We can have our cake and eat it too!"

How about a PianoWorld NY evening on the town?

We could start by meeting in a central location for a wine and cheese reception; move on to visiting one or two wonderful piano stores, followed by dinner at some fantastic restaurant followed by a concert if possible, followed by dessert and coffee (or wine) at some trattoria.

Ooh la la.
I'll get to work right away on the concert schedules.

Re: new york city in october - 08/24/03 12:48 AM

bernard,
that sounds perfect and quintessentially new york. why not take advantage of all the opportunities of the city? now we need others to chime in with restaurant and concert ideas. what if we started with a tour of piano row? maybe we could even call the proprietors and arrange for them to stay open a bit late for us, if need be?

wouldn't it be cool to compare the various pianos and discuss what we mean by "bright" "creamy" "mellow" and all the other fuzzy terms we've bandied about here for the past two years?

Re: new york city in october - 08/24/03 01:07 AM

Here's a partial list of concerts between 10/15 and 10/25:

I probably don't need to say it, but time is of the essence, some of these events sell out quickly.

New York Philharmonic
Expensive, but it doesn't get much better than this.
Th 10/15, F 10/17, S 10/18 Alicia de Larrocha (Haydn, Falla, Nielsen)
T 10/21, Th 10/22 Buchbinder (Beethoven)
F 10/24 Zacharias (Beethoven)

New York City Opera
Always a charming experience.
Th 10/16 La Finta Giardiniere (Mozart)
F 10/17 The Magic Flute (ditto)
S 10/18 The Mikado (G&S)

Metropolitan Opera
T 10/14 Tristan und Isolde (Wagner)
F 10/17 La Traviata (One of my favorites) (Verdi)
S 10/18 Le Nozze di Figaro (Mozart)

Amato Opera
A must-do if you've never done it before. Very small--tiny theatre, very intimate. Unpredictable voices but usually good lead singers.
10/18 HMS Pinafore (G&S)

92nd St. Y
10/15 Mozart, Haydn, Rorem, Schubert
(Robinson, cello; Martin, flute; Rusinek, clarinet; Goeres, bassoon; Williams, horn; Uchida, piano; Phelps, violin)

Metropolitan Museum of Art
10/18 Beaux Arts Trio, Rachmaninoff (Op.9), Schubert (Op. 99)
10/20 Ivo Pogorelich "Celebrating a Birthday and an Anniversary" (It's his birthday the day of the performance)
Beethoven, Schriabin, Rachmaninoff
10/25 Guarneri String Quartet, Beethoven (Op.127, Op.18,#2, Op.59,#3)

Bargemusic
Enjoy it on an old barge by the Brooklyn Bridge.
F 10/17, S 10/19 Trio Mosaique; Bach, Martinu, Villa-Lobos, Crumb

Re: new york city in october - 08/24/03 01:20 AM

lots of good choices, especially for friday the 17th and saturday the 18th. lucy says she can only do weekend nights. i wonder if frank is able to come in for a friday or saturday night out? frank?

does anyone have budget restrictions that make some of these options more favored than the others?

do people care if we go for opera over a piano recital? (i personally love opera and go every time i'm in nyc anyway). where's tomk? maybe his buddy placido can get us orchestra seats at the met? ;\)

Re: new york city in october - 08/24/03 02:17 AM

Here's my 3 top picks:

1) Friday 10/17, La Traviata, Met Opera
2) Sat. 10/18, Alicia De Larrocia, NY Phil.
3) Sat. 10/18, Beaux Arts Trio, MMA

Re: new york city in october - 08/24/03 02:20 AM

Hi, Pique,

Thank you for persisting with this thread ! I like all of the ideas presented so far, and October 17th and 18th are free for me. New York City is a musical treasure trove: maybe we could start out at a museum, have dinner, attend a concert and conclude (if there HAS to be a conclusion), with coffee and drinks. Then, perhaps, the bravest of the brave could convene at someone's home for an impromtu concert .

So many wonderful possibilities \:D \:D \:D

Re: new york city in october - 08/24/03 02:29 AM

Bernard,

Why did you have to come up with so many great ideas ;\) ? I want to attend EVERYTHING you listed. However, just to show that I CAN be selective, I would most like to hear Alicia De Larrocha play, especially since it is rumored that she is retiring \:\( . I can imagine that the tickets would be quite pricey, though, and it might be hard for us to get them in a block.

Lucy

Re: new york city in october - 08/24/03 02:31 AM

lucy in the sky,
 Quote:
maybe we could start out at a museum, have dinner, attend a concert and conclude (if there HAS to be a conclusion), with coffee and drinks.
Oooh. That's the best yet. pique, we could all take a tour of the musical instrument collection at MMA!

Quote:
Then, perhaps, the bravest of the brave could convene at someone's home for an impromtu concert.
This could give new meaning to the phrase "after hours club"! \:D

Re: new york city in october - 08/24/03 02:34 AM

P.S. to Bernard

We certainly seem to be on the same page. I just read your posts about a possible plan for an evening and your top three choices \:D \:D \:D !

Re: new york city in october - 08/24/03 02:36 AM

Quote:
I would most like to hear Alicia De Larrocha play, especially since it is rumored that she is retiring
Oh, no, I hadn't heard. Then I may want to revise my top 3 list and switch positions 1) and 2).

Re: new york city in october - 08/24/03 02:39 AM

Bernard,

I have the feeling that you are online right now. Maybe we are having some sort of telephathic communication with a little help from the telephone lines !

Re: new york city in october - 08/24/03 02:45 AM

not to be overlooked also are the many wonderful concerts at music societies, churches, and conservatories. mannes college often has very interesting events. these events might prove to be easier and less expensive to get tickets to as well.

as for the events already listed, they ALL sound wonderful to me. i could happily attend any of them.

i'm especially intrigued by bernard's comments about the amato opera. if we don't do it for our piano world gathering, i may have to check it out for myself.

if we did do the MMA musical instruments collection, it might segue nicely into attending the concert there, depending on the schedule.

restaurants and bars in that neighborhood are less interesting, though, i'm afraid, and also very pricey.

for the adventurous, my old stamping grounds, ninth avenue in the 50s, has terrific ethnic restaurants, one right after the other, most of them dirt cheap.

one that is very nice (and not cheap, but not too spendy, either) is on the ground floor of the building i used to live in, on the corner of ninth and 56th. it's italian, wonderful atmosphere, service, and food, very gracious, and it's called "bella."

that's quite convenient to piano row. we would need reservations.

but i'm probably not the best person to recommend eating venues as the city changes so quickly, and it's been so long since i lived there.

Re: new york city in october - 08/24/03 03:13 AM

lucy in the sky, \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D

I can see some logistics... we start on the Upper East Side and end on the Upper West Side. We could eat on UES or UWS or midtown. If we eat midtown, we may be able to swing 'round to a few piano showrooms if there's time.

[edited] pique--I just saw your post and this would fit in nicely with eating on the west side.

Regarding eateries, I am not familiar with very many uptown restaurants, spending most of my time in lower midtown and downtown areas. I have however been to some of the places on Broadway across from Lincoln Center.

Re: new york city in october - 08/24/03 03:28 AM

for some stupid reason, bernard, the area right around lincoln center is a wasteland when it comes to good restaurants. they are all overpriced and of poor quality. just my nsho.

since that was my neighborhood, and i did visit it and eat there last year (while sharing an evening at the met opera with a friend), i know that the situation is the same.

bella is still there. another favorite restaurant of mine, armstrong's, on 57th and 10th, has very sadly closed. if we go further south on ninth avenue, we get into the land of cuban chinese, ethiopian, afghani, chinese, and other eclectic mixes. most of these places are in closet-sized spaces, but the food is great and some of them are cheaper than eating at home.

bella's has the best atmosphere and is a wonderful place. i would have eaten there last year, but didn't have a reservation.

apropos of the "claim to fame" thread: one night i was eating at bella's and jerzy kozinsky was at the table next to mine.

my first apartment in nyc was not far from the met museum and my aunt and uncle still live near there, and i've visited recently. still a restaurant wasteland unless you want to shell out the big bucks.

oh, i just remembered, there used to be a wonderful indian restaurant on the top floor of an apartment building right on columbus circle. very exotic and spectacular views of central park. very festive, too.

we need more people to weigh in here, too. i've posted a notice on the piano forum, and also i've messaged a few new yorkers. hopefully we'll get a bigger response this week and can start planning and buy our tickets.

Re: new york city in october - 08/24/03 03:33 AM

pique,
 Quote:
for some stupid reason, bernard, the area right around lincoln center is a wasteland when it comes to good restaurants.
I think it's called 'tourism'?
Posted by: David Burton

Re: new york city in october - 08/24/03 03:41 AM

Well, it sort of looks like this is going to happen.

OK, I like these ideas:

Saturday October 18th.

Start at Piano Row on West 58th, probably Beethoven's, early in the afternoon. I really want to hear some of you play. I want to play some myself. I can call Carl on Monday and ask him about arranging a time slot for us. There are three other stores on the block and Piano Piano only a short walk away. I don't know whether they will all be open but I'd bet they would be.

Next. Eat in a place like Bella on the West Side.

Attend the Alicia de Larrocha concert.

Retire somewhere after for whatever.

We should act fast on the tickets and buy a block of them if we still can. Someone should co-ordinate this and tell us where to send our checks. My pen is in my hand.

The sooner we get a head count the better. Right now I'm committed to do this. How about the rest of you?

Right now my calendar is clear. I'll have to see if I'm going to bring along a guest. I might.

I'd really like to get some of our friends from Philadelphia and New Jersey to join us.

Re: new york city in october - 08/24/03 05:35 AM

These are my #1 and #2 choices:

Metropolitan Museum of Art
10/18 Beaux Arts Trio, Rachmaninoff (Op.9), Schubert (Op. 99)
10/20 Ivo Pogorelich "Celebrating a Birthday and an Anniversary" (It's his birthday the day of the performance)
Beethoven, Schriabin, Rachmaninoff

I will be offline for a few days. Whatever everyone prefers is fine with me. Not crazy about the Met. Opera, though.
Depending on my schedule, I should be able to make some or all portion of the "event."

I would be glad to help out in selecting restaurants, or anything else, when I get back.

Cheers

Re: new york city in october - 08/24/03 11:36 AM

david burton, we think alike again!

i was going to post the same scheduling suggestion last night but was too tired and went to bed.

the only caveat is that we may have a tough time even at this date getting in to see alicia. i also would slightly more prefer opera or chamber music, as i'm not a big symphony fan. i think seeing alicia would be wonderful, but the recent reviews i've read indicate that she is not in very good form. these are evidently farewell concerts for a reason.

i know some of us will want to see her regardless, so, i will yield to that if it's important to the rest of you.

as david said, i could go with any of the suggestions and would happily attend whatever the group wants.

i'd also like to see even more options listed before we decide as i know there are many small halls, churches, and conservatories that also have very worthwhile events. choosing something less high profile might make it possible for us to delay getting tickets and thus include more people who haven't joined this thread yet.

also, i'd like to hear from frank. if he can make a friday because it is a weekday, but not a saturday, that would make me want to tilt more in that direction.

would a friday present problems for anyone else here?

we could do the museum collection another day. i'm definitely going while i'm in the city, so anyone who is interested is welcome to join me.

i think starting out on piano row is a great idea. we could begin at 3 pm at one store, then work our way through the three stores on west 58th street. if we had appointments with each of them at 3, 4, and 5, we could then have dinner at 6, and be at our concert in time for an 8 pm curtain.

do you think that's enough time at each store? if you want to start earlier at piano piano, that's fine with me. i'm going to take a pass on visiting them.

the other advantage to this sort of schedule is that people who decide to join us too late to get concert tickets could at least join us for a part of the evening or afternoon. if someone gets off at work at 5 pm, they could meet us at the store we have an appointment with at 5ish, and then join us for dinner, for example.

and if any of our manhattan denizens who have pianos come upon this thread late in the game, they could always offer to have us up for drinks post concert. ;\)

Re: new york city in october - 08/24/03 01:54 PM

I also like the idea of starting on Piano Row. On second thoughts I realized a wine and cheese reception in the afternoon wouldn't be a great idea--wine doesn't mix well with piano playing!

Also on second thought I'm wondering if the museum would be a little too distracting for first introductions? It might be easier to meet and mingle where our attentions will not be so preoccupied and absored in masterpieces of art. Beethoven's will also be less crowded.

I'm glad the piano is making its way into this. As this is a PianoWorld gathering, I think we ought to have a keyboard and bench available for those who wish to play or show and tell. And like pique mentioned earlier, we could discuss our subjective impressions of tone quality.

I'm really starting to look forward to this.

I'm willing to buy the tickets on a credit card and you could all reimburse me. Let me know if you want me to do this.

Re: new york city in october - 08/24/03 03:10 PM

i've been doing some online searches to see if we can get a broader calendar of events in october. here's a link some of you might want to peruse to see what the schedules are at some other venues:

citidex directory

i haven't gone through it myself yet, but it seems like following many of the links might lead to some good stuff. please post here if you do use this site and anything jumps out at you as being of interest.

edit:
well, right away something jumped out at me:

this is at st. bartholomew's church on the east side:

Wednesday, October 22, at 6:30 pm

Robert DeGaetano, pianist

Tickets: $25 (students/seniors $15).
Call 212-378-0248 or click here to purchase online.

"From Alice Tully Hall to Carnegie Hall to Europe and recitals in all 50 states, pianist Robert DeGaetano has been traveling the world composing for and performing on the piano. The New York Times described his playing as robust, precise, charming and propulsive. In this concert, he will perform some of his own pieces in addition to works by Chopin, Liszt, Beethoven, and Rachmaninoff."

robert was my teacher when i was studying at mannes. i'll probably go to this on my own, since it is during the week.

Re: new york city in october - 08/24/03 03:47 PM

here's another web site:

nyc calendar of events

Re: new york city in october - 08/25/03 03:02 AM

it's harder than i thought finding a comprehensive listing of classical music concerts in new york two months in advance.

i've now papered piano world with notices about our thread here, and have also emailed and messaged just about everyone i could think of who is in the area or might want to come in for the event.

what do you think about waiting a week and see what other traffic we get and what people's preferences are who do check in? weekends are usually slower on the forums, some people may be on vacation, etc...

can anyone check on current availability of tickets for the preferred concerts and post here what the prices are, and if there is any pressure to decide sooner?

Re: new york city in october - 08/25/03 10:23 PM

I wondered where this posting went!

I love the ideas everyone has had so far!
My vote is for the Alicia de Larrocha concert, but I will go to whatever! I think the fun of meeting you all would be worth it!

I am keeping my eye out for publications, internet or otherwise, that list concerts that far ahead of time, but I haven't really found one.

An ethnic restaurant would be great! Who here reads NY Times? They always do restaurant reviews, sometimes devoting entire articles to ethnic restaurants. I will keep reading them!

I hope this works, because I really want to meet you all!

Re: new york city in october - 08/26/03 02:53 AM

I like David's suggested itinerary a lot. My strong first vote would be to hear Alicia De Larrocha. But, of course, everyone knows that by now \:\) .

Re: new york city in october - 08/26/03 10:31 AM

lucy, bernard, ?

can you check on ticket prices and availability for the alicia d.l. concert and post your findings here?

it seems like possibly that is the best date, especially if some people are coming in from out of town? (still haven't heard from frank...)

my own preference for a concert on that date would lean more towards seeing either "the mikado" or "hms pinafore" or the beaux arts trio. my tastes lean more towards opera or chamber music.

but i will be fine with seeing alicia d. if that's what the majority wish. especially if it will attract more interest from forum members.

it seems it is uncertain if it will be her last concert, however. here's a review from last year from the new york times:

November 27, 2002, Wednesday

THE ARTS/CULTURAL DESK
MUSIC REVIEW; De Larrocha's Farewell, Assured but Subtle
By ALLAN KOZINN
The Spanish pianist Alicia de Larrocha, a revered presence in the New York concert world since the mid-1960's, appeared with the Tokyo String Quartet on Monday evening at Carnegie Hall in a program that a spokeswoman for her management company said would be her last public performance. She has been associated particularly closely with two parts of the literature: Mozart's work and the music of the Spanish nationalist composers, who have been figuring prominently in her repertory in recent years. But for her performance on Monday, she returned to Mozart.

As departures go, Ms. de Larrocha's appearance was unusually low-key. Not much had been made of it publicly, although her retirement at 79 was not entirely unexpected. A note in the program book described the concert only as her Carnegie Hall farewell, although she has no further engagements on her calendar.

When she came out to play the Piano Concerto No. 12 in A (K. 414) in its version for piano and string quartet midway through the first half of the program, she neither looked nor sounded her age. As always, she played with quiet assurance rather than flashiness. And although she came out for perhaps half a dozen curtain calls, she offered no encores.

Ms. de Larrocha played the solo line of the A major Concerto with sparkling, transparent textures that were perfectly weighted for this version of the work: essentially the familiar score stripped of its oboe and horn parts, and with the string body reduced to one player to a part.

She seemed to find this chamber setting invigorating. Like any musician who has enjoyed a long career, Ms. de Larrocha has seen performance style, and the tastes that drive it, move through cycles of change and reconsideration. In the Spanish works in her repertory she has remained peerless, but in Mozart, the expansion of the early-music world and the expectations it has created have been challenges for her. During the 1980's and into the 90's, her Mozart sometimes seemed to have an old-fashioned breadth.

On Monday, though, everything seemed to be right. The small details -- the trills and turns that adorn the score -- as well as the more expansive pianism in the cadenzas and the glowing Andante, had considerable energy behind them. Her performance had the bright, light quality that she brought to her playing in the 70's, when her appearances at the Mostly Mozart Festival were among the highlights of New York summers. If anything, her approach to Mozart on Monday was more fluid, more carefully nuanced than it was then.

This was also a night for the Tokyo String Quartet, which, after all, had the stage to itself for two-thirds of the program. Having undergone several personnel changes in the last five years, it has taken some time to find its sound. But this ensemble's longtime admirers who have found its unsettled performances worrisome in recent seasons can breathe easier now.

In Schubert's Quartet in E flat (D. 87), which opened the program, and Beethoven's Quartet in F (Op. 59, No. 1), which closed it, these musicians played with a far richer tone and greater unity than they have produced in a long time.

The greatly improved sound was apparent immediately, with the first notes of the Schubert. This is an early score, composed when Schubert was 16, but it was given such warmth and depth by the Tokyo players -- Martin Beaver and Kikuei Ikeda, violinists; Kazuhide Isomura, violist; and Clive Greensmith, cellist -- that it could have passed as a more mature work.

The Beethoven, too, benefited from a beautifully burnished sound, impeccable ensemble and delicately modulated balances. In its best moments -- the return of the principal theme at the end of the first movement, for example -- the performance bristled with energy.

Published: 11 - 27 - 2002 , Late Edition - Final , Section E , Column 3 , Page 1

Correction: November 28, 2002, Thursday A music review yesterday about a performance by the pianist Alicia de Larrocha with the Tokyo String Quartet included an erroneous characterization from her managers. While the concert on Monday was her last at Carnegie Hall, it was not the final performance of her career. Her managers, Columbia Artists Management, said yesterday that she planned to perform through the end of 2003, and that no date for a farewell performance had been set.
Posted by: decibel101

Re: new york city in october - 08/26/03 02:38 PM

Hey all,

Sorry it took me a while to post on this thread.
I've been having really tough piano days recently and may even give up playing \:\(

Would love to meet up with everyone and have a night out. Will try and keep up with the posts here. Let me know whats goin on

Re: new york city in october - 08/26/03 09:50 PM

glad to see you here, d. you play so beautifully, and have had such a promising beginning, it would be a shame if you gave up the piano! i know others here who have heard you play would concur.

please stay tuned here for developments and look forward to seeing you again in oct.

Re: new york city in october - 08/26/03 11:16 PM

decibel101, Sorry to hear about the discouragement. We all go through periods of struggle to be sure. Of course, only you can decide if a rest is the best thing for now. Still, part of me really wants to know if you'd like to talk about it. Not having any idea why you are looking at the possibility of some time off, I wonder if there may be some answers that you've overlooked? Feeling like you're not progressing? Maybe it's time for a change of teacher? Change of repertoire? Change of approach?

Feel free to email me if you'd like to discuss it.
Posted by: Linda in PA

Re: new york city in october - 08/27/03 10:31 AM

Hi, Folks:

Bernard was kind enough to draw my attention to this thread. I would like to join you for at least part of your get-together if held on a Friday or Saturday. Would enjoy meeting all of you!

Thanks . . . Linda

Re: new york city in october - 08/27/03 10:35 AM

Off Topic:

decible101 - sorry to hear of your frustration. As Bernard suggested, perhaps some of the members here might be able to help. In any event, I hope that your difficulties pass quickly and that you rediscover the joy of your music.

. . . Linda

Re: new york city in october - 08/27/03 03:49 PM

The Philharmonic box office says there is still good ticket availability.

Like I said, it's horribly expensive, these are the prices PER TICKET (** means partial view):

1st Tier Box - Front $114.00
1st Tier Center $114.00
Prime Orchestra $114.00
1st Tier Box - Rear $87.00
Preferred Orchestra $87.00
2nd Tier Center $79.00
2nd Tier Box** $66.00
3rd Tier Center $66.00
Front Orchestra $66.00
Rear Orchestra $66.00
3rd Tier Box** $37.00

Frankly, I'm willing to go for something less expensive, but I'll do what the majority votes for.
Posted by: kluurs

Re: new york city in october - 08/27/03 04:15 PM

I may try and come in for this. At some point we'll have to cement some details. I would enjoy DeLarocha - but could also enjoy just ending up at one of the stores and close them down too.
Let's see how this develops -- hope I can make it.

Ken

Re: new york city in october - 08/27/03 07:33 PM

thanks for the legwork on this, bernard.

i could live with 3rd tier center, as that is the best option both acoustically and price wise. if others want to go for more expensive seats, i suppose we could still meet up in the lobby afterwards. or some of us could continue carousing outside the theater \:D .

of the other musical offerings that evening, what are people's second choices?

someone said they don't care for opera (not even gilbert and sullivan operettas? we'd certainly be in a jovial mood afterwards), so does that leave us with the beaux arts trio?

not a bad second choice imho, they are truly excellent.

i think my top choice would be hms pinafore. where is that playing?

Re: new york city in october - 08/28/03 12:19 AM

Hi, Decibel!

I've been wondering what happened to you! Let me add my voice to those encouraging you not to give up playing. If I remember correctly, you are fairly new to piano, and your first public performance was at the Piano Forum party at Bernard's apartment.

Take the advice from a newbie like me only for what it's worth, but learning to play can be HARD. I've been taking lessons for a year now, currently 1/2 hour lessons every other week--my teacher is pricey, but I love her. I am still having difficulty keeping inactive fingers in contact with the keys, and my teacher busts me each time that they drift. That is BIG TIME frustrating! Still, when I'm away from my piano for even a day, I miss it. That's saying a lot given that my work can keep me away from home long hours for several days straight, causing me to miss the 9 AM to 10 PM playing hours allowed in my building.

Feel free to email me if I can be of any help to you.

All of the best,

Re: new york city in october - 08/28/03 12:53 AM

Wow, kluurs, that would be fantastic if you can make it! Direct from the windy city...

Chicago immediately reminds me of 2 things: My uncle on my mother's side who lived there (though I've never been), and the Twentieth Century--the train that used to run between Chicago and NYC. It was before my time, but it sounds as if it was just grand.

I've got to visit some time!!! Hope we'll see you in October.

Re: new york city in october - 08/28/03 07:24 PM

You're always welcome to visit. I'm planning a couple of concerts at the house - soon as I have dates, I'll let you know.

Ken

Re: new york city in october - 08/29/03 05:50 PM

Thank you, kluurs.

TO ALL: Frank says Friday is better for him. If we hold it on Saturday he said he would still try to come but a weekday is better.

Re: new york city in october - 08/29/03 06:00 PM

thanks for the update on that, bernard.

now we have to ask frank: if we hold it on friday do you promise to come?

and, was anyone planning to come who is excluded if we hold it on friday?

frank, my offer to take you out to dinner while i'm in nyc is still good either way. \:\)
Posted by: Palindrome

Re: new york city in october - 08/29/03 11:29 PM

I'll be coming back from England on the weekend of the 25th; if the meeting's Friday the 24th or Saturday the 25th I'll arrange to come through New York. I do very poorly with jet lag, however, and will probably act, if not look, half dead.

Re: new york city in october - 08/30/03 01:57 PM

It begins to look like Friday would be slightly better than Saturday for me and the tickets to hear Alicia are pretty steep even for me. Comments?

Re: new york city in october - 08/30/03 02:09 PM

there are several good concerts listed for friday the 17th also, including alicia de laroccha (again), on page one of this thread.

would all interested parties please peruse again and cast your votes?

whether it is friday the 17th or saturday the 18th makes no difference to me. the following weekend does NOT work for me, as my dad's concert in NJ is that weekend and i will spend a few days visiting the parents.

of the concerts listed so far for the 17th, i would enjoy going to see "traviata" at the met, or possibly the bargemusic concert (second choice), as i've never been to one of those.

on the 18th, my preference would be to see h.m.s. pinafore or the beaux arts trio (second choice).

none of this means i'm not up for going to something else, including alicia, as that seems to be the most exciting option for many forum members.

let everyone state their real preferences and then we'll tally up the results.

tell us your best day, your second choice day.

tell us your first choice concert, your second choice concert (or give choice of two).

i hope everyone who might want to join us can weigh in soon, so we can at least get the tickets issue taken care of.

i'm hoping to be leaving town for about ten days on 9/2, and won't be reachable before about the 11th, but i'm getting email notification every time someone posts here, so i'll stay tuned for as long as i'm able.

Re: new york city in october - 08/30/03 04:13 PM

First choice day - Fri 17th.
- first choice concert - Alicia De.
- second choice - Bargemusic.

Second choice day - Sat. 18th.
- first choice concert - Beaux Arts Trio
- second choice - Bargemusic.

Bargemusic is an interesting venue, but I'm afraid it is more difficult to get to than Manhattan concerts. Also, if we decide on that, we may want to explore restaurants in that area, which I'm not too familiar with.

Bella, on the other hand is a good choice for the west side. I'm sad to hear that "The Sacred Ginmill" - Armstrong's closed a second time (maybe Jimmy lost his lease again). That was always a good place to go for food and drinks.

Once we decide on a day and concert, we should decide on a dinner place. I would be glad to handle the reservations when we decide, and have a ball park number of people.

Re: new york city in october - 08/30/03 04:36 PM

Phlebas,
you knew armstrong's??? what do you mean, "a second time?" it was closed when i was there last october. is it possible it reopened since then?

i loved that place! it was my living room when i lived on 56th street--my place was too small to entertain, so i and my friends regularly held court at armstrong's. i was introduced to it by a friend at the ny times. he told me lots of media types go there because both cbs and pbs studios are close by.

is that your line of work, by any chance?

Re: new york city in october - 08/30/03 04:47 PM

Edited for double post.

Anyway, back to this Oct.

Re: new york city in october - 08/30/03 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by piqu:
Phlebas,
you knew armstrong's??? what do you mean, "a second time?" it was closed when i was there last october. is it possible it reopened since then?

i loved that place! it was my living room when i lived on 56th street--my place was too small to entertain, so i and my friends regularly held court at armstrong's. i was introduced to it by a friend at the ny times. he told me lots of media types go there because both cbs and pbs studios are close by.

is that your line of work, by any chance? [/b]
No, not my line of work at all.

The best mystery novel ever written was by Lawrence Block, and was entitled "When the Sacred Ginmill Closes." It takes place in the mid-1970's, and the private-eye main character, and all his cronies hung out at Armstrong's - among other ginmills (actually, I never thought of Armstrong's as a ginmill).
Armstrong's used to be on nonth avenue, but they lost their lease in the late 1970's, and Jimmy Armstrong moved a block west to 10th avenue.

I had a roommate who bartended there for a couple years, and I loved the food and atmosphere there - Hell's Kitchen without all the sleaze.

That's my connection with Armstrong's.

You should definately read this book, if you were a regular there.

Re: new york city in october - 08/30/03 04:54 PM

i was a regular there, and thanks for the tip on the book. who knows, phlebas, maybe we've already shared pleasantries from adjacent tables there.

i wonder if they have relocated again? is it possible they are still in the neighborhood somewhere and might still be a great place to get together?

they had the world's most eclectic menu, truly international (and the size of a novella), and very inexpensive, and a great atmosphere.

Re: new york city in october - 08/30/03 04:56 PM

Maybe we were sitting across the room. If you saw someone who looked like a 35-40 yr old version of Brad Pitt, but with better bone structure, that was me. ;\)

If you believe that, there's a bridge on the east side, and further downtown I could sell you.

I the meantime, I'll check to make sure they did not reopen.
Posted by: RealPlayer

Re: new york city in october - 08/30/03 05:09 PM

Hi, Pique et al.

What a great idea. I just happened on this thread. Actually, I just got back from Europe yesterday, so my brain is sort of mush right now.

Oct. 17 and 18 both look good for me right now. I don't know that I'm psyched for going to a concert, especially an expensive one, but I'm up for a piano-store crawl and dinner and/or wine/cheese. If y'all are doing a concert, I may join you for it, if inexpensive, or just join you for the other activities.

For you out-of-towners, note that going to a less-expensive ethnic restaurant in NYC doesn't mean you won't get a great meal. Many of them are fabulous -- but I will defer to Manhattanites to offer specific recommendations (I'm in an "outer borough.")

Note that Faust/Harrison has an intermittent piano concert series on Friday nights at 7. That means one could attend this 1-hour concert and still go to another concert at 8! However, I don't know if they have a concert scheduled there for Oct. 17. I myself will be playing there in December (end of commercial).

There's a buzz that Klavierhaus is starting to have concerts there, some being of contemporary music. Sorry, I have no further info as to actual dates. Maybe they have a website?

It's not relevant to this particular weekend, but FYI, there's going to be a big multi-piano event at the Winter Garden in Lower Manhattan (World Financial Center, opposite the WTC site) -- 25 pianos, I think, and the date's something like Sept. 25 or Oct. 25. I was asked to be part of it but I couldn't make some of the rehearsals, so now I'm sort of blanking out on the date. Anyway, it sounds like a "must-see" for piano lovers.

Re: new york city in october - 08/30/03 05:14 PM

RealPlayer,
If you get any more details on upcoming concerts,
could you post them under the "Concert News and Reviews" forum?

I'm also thinking of adding a Calendar to the forums so we can easily track dates.

Thanks,

- Frank B.
Piano World

Re: new york city in october - 08/30/03 10:30 PM

Friday or Saturday are equally good for me, so:

First choice: Friday, 17th: Traviata
Second choice: Saturday, 18th: De Larrocha
Third choice: Friday, 17th: De Larrocha
Fourth choice: Saturday, 18th: Figaro's Nose ;\)

Re: new york city in october - 08/30/03 10:57 PM

i heard from derick that he's returning from europe on the 17th, so there's a chance he could join us on the 18th.

also, rich d. from arlington has said he'll see if he can make it up, but i know it would have to be a saturday for him. this might be true for other out of towners as well.

neither is committed to coming if we make it saturday, at this point.

lucy, care to weigh in on this issue? i suspect you wouldn't be able to make it for the daytime part of the gathering if it were a friday...?

has frank committed to coming if it is friday?

frank, don't be shy about weighing in with your preferences....
Posted by: TomK

Re: new york city in october - 08/31/03 03:28 AM

Hi pique,

A couple o' points.

I don't know where I'll be so I can't commit,

BUT if you want the use of a piano you can play on the one on which I had my NYC concert debut. A Yamaha 5 footer. It's in the McDonald's on 56th and 8th--no kidding. Just go in there and tell the manager you want to play and then bang away to your hearts content.

Also, the best Chinese restaurant in NYC, the China Regency is on 55th and 7th, next to the Carnage Deli. Also, the best pizza is John's on 44th and 8th--the place used to be an old Baptist church, it has a huge rose window in the ceiling.

(I'll think of more stuff later.)

But anyway, you should definitely hit the McDonald's.

Re: new york city in october - 08/31/03 10:18 AM

Quote:

frank, don't be shy about weighing in with your preferences.... [/b]
Don't base the plans on me, base them on what
works for the majority.
I'll do my best to join in.

- Frank B.
Piano World

Re: new york city in october - 08/31/03 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Piano World:
Don't base the plans on me, base them on what
works for the majority.
I'll do my best to join in.

- Frank B.
Piano World [/b]
how about we promise not to base them on you. but we would like to have your input to weigh in the final tally. you get one vote, like everyone else. will that work for you?

Re: new york city in october - 08/31/03 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TomK:
I don't know where I'll be so I can't commit[/b]
i just KNEW it. i KNEW you were one of those dangerous types. come here and seduce us all with your silver tongue, then noncommittal when it comes to fulfilling our dreams.... how i'd dreamed of being on your arm when you introduced me to placido... you in your tux, me in my jeans and sweats. i hope apple is reading this.

Quote:
BUT if you want the use of a piano you can play on the one on which I had my NYC concert debut. A Yamaha 5 footer. It's in the McDonald's on 56th and 8th--no kidding. Just go in there and tell the manager you want to play and then bang away to your hearts content. [/b]
:rolleyes:
i can see it now: our glamorous pianoworld night on the town--at mcdonald's playing a toy-sized yamaha. :rolleyes:

seriously, that sounds like a fun diversion. i never noticed a piano in there before. keep the ideas coming!

Quote:
Also, the best Chinese restaurant in NYC, the China Regency is on 55th and 7th, next to the Carnage Deli.[/b]
hm, interesting slip of the tongue. ;\) is that where you make your surprise appearance with your tools of the florida smuggler's trade? ;\)

Quote:
Also, the best pizza is John's on 44th and 8th--the place used to be an old Baptist church, it has a huge rose window in the ceiling. [/b]
gosh dang it, tomk, with your guidance, i'm going to know nyc better now than when i lived there. i definitely plan to check out all these places during my visit. thanks for the tips!!!!!

Re: new york city in october - 08/31/03 11:34 AM

realplayer,
so glad you stumbled on this thread. until forum members get used to the idea of checking this new area out, i'm afraid our profile is a bit low.

so glad you will be able to make it, whether for just a part of or the whole evening. it will be good to meet you, and hear you play. [making mental note to feign a sprained hand and lose score the day before...]

i'm also on a budget, and i agree with you that some of the best food in the city is at the small, hole-in-the-wall ethnic restaurants. but i don't think bella will be too dear. at least, when i was living in hell's kitchen as a freelancer i managed to eat there fairly regularly (and i'm pretty sure my dad was not always picking up the tab. ;\) )

could you find out if any of the piano showrooms are having concerts during our planned dates? that could significantly impact if and when they can accommodate us, and also might fit nicely with our plans to go to a concert together. i would love to attend one.

could you also report to us on when the winter garden piano event is happening? it sounds very interesting! do they have a web site for the concert?

Re: new york city in october - 08/31/03 05:09 PM

Quote:
i just KNEW it. i KNEW you were one of those dangerous types.[/b]
You know nothing. But here's what I want to know--your husband going to be in town with you--if not, maybe I could save you a couple of bucks on your hotel bill.

Re: new york city in october - 08/31/03 07:15 PM

unfortunately, tomk, my husband will not be in town with me. he'll be home babysitting the pooches and watering the roses and earning the money. but i will not be staying at a hotel.

still, i'm intrigued. what do you propose?

Re: new york city in october - 08/31/03 07:28 PM

Pique,

I will do my best to find out if concerts are happening at Faust or Kl-haus. I'll look into the multi-piano thing too. \:\)

Re: new york city in october - 08/31/03 09:07 PM

Sorry to interrupt the intrigue , but I wanted to thank Pique and Bernard for doing most of the legwork on this. Either Friday or Saturday would work for me. I've saved both dates on my calendar. Pique, I'm not sure what you are referring to when you write about the daytime part of the gathering. Regarding Fridays, I can try to schedule a shorter work day. If I get hit with a crisis that afternoon, I could meet up with everyone at a later time.

Re: new york city in october - 08/31/03 11:39 PM

daytime part of the gathering = piano showroom crawl.

the idea was we'd get together mid-afternoon for a few hours of piano showroom time before dinner, with enough time to make an 8 pm curtain.

that's a factor others should consider in deciding if friday or saturday is a better day for them.

Re: new york city in october - 09/01/03 05:22 AM

I checked the 92nd Street Y, no concert on the 17th.

Merkin Hall, same.

The Metropolitan, nothing on the 17th, the Beaux Arts Trio of course on the 18th. This would be my first choice if we decide it's to be Saturday.

Joan Baez will be at Town Hall which is in the neighborhood. Last time I saw her was, let me see, in 1972 at Stanford University in California. Probably not to everyone's taste.

Lincoln Center: Alicia at Fisher, La Traviata at the Met, The Magic Flute at the New York State Theater, another possibility though possibly not to everyone's taste. Julliard has nothing scheduled.

Carnegie Hall: Cleste Zewald, Clarinet and Jaap Kooi, Piano (love the name) will play this program
ARNOLD Sonatina for Clarinet and Piano, Op. 29
REGER Sonata for Clarinet and Piano in B-flat Major, Op. 107
SCHUMANN Three Romances, Op. 94
RAAFF New work (US Premiere)
POULENC Clarinet Sonata
starting at 7:30 in Weill Recital Hall, tickets are $24
The Toshiko Akiyoshi Jazz Orchestra will be playing in the Isaac Stern Auditorium (that's the big hall there) starting at 8:00PM, tickets range from $20 to $40.

Symphony Space has nothing on either day.

Manhattan School of Music (I've heard many great budding talents there) unfortunately has nothing for either date.

My preference is still Friday (because I can get a date with a friend that day and would then plan to ride back upstate on Saturday with her) but if its Saturday the concert at the Metropolitan Museum - Beaux Arts Trio is my first choice.

If Friday I'll probably be swayed by general consensus.

Re: new york city in october - 09/01/03 09:58 AM

I'd be happy with visiting piano showrooms, banging (I mean playing) the piano at McD's, having a cocktail or two, and maybe dropping into a club with a jazz pianist.

But that's just me:-)

I'm not sure I'm up for a formal concert.
Getting a little pricey for me as it is:
Train $100.00
Hotel $ 225.00+
Drinks $ ??.00
Cabs ?
Meals ?

As I've said before, don't base the plans on me.
I might come for part of it anyway.

- Frank B.
Piano World

Re: new york city in october - 09/01/03 10:13 AM

we're still awaiting info on if/when any of the piano showrooms are having concerts on those dates. we might want to plan around that, either to time ourselves to attend one of the concerts, or to avoid them so we can play the pianos ourselves.

Re: new york city in october - 09/01/03 11:29 AM

Does anyone else work on Fridays? Maybe then we should consider Saturday, as many work a 5-day week ( I know I teach until late on Fridays). And that way those of us that are 2 hours away can have time to travel in the morning.
Anyway, that is just my opinion. Feel free to approve or dissaprove!

Re: new york city in october - 09/01/03 01:28 PM

Yes, I work on Fri. as well.
If the group opts for that day, I will probably not make any afternoon things.
Also, even though I am off Sat., I will probably still not be able to go to everything on the agenda.

Re: new york city in october - 09/01/03 05:31 PM

Pique, another point,

Faust Harrison (and maybe somebody else already mentioned this--Ariel is right about me on this one, I only read the last couple of posts,) is having a "contest" between a S+S "B" and a M+H "BB" side by side. Play the pianos, vote for the one you like and you could win it!

Two points on this:

1. I was disqualified (didn't play well enough.)

2. The "B" is fine, the "BB" is one of the best pianos ever created in MHO. (Like buttttaar.)

(Now, put the "BB" up against the 1899 "B" down the street at Beethoven's and it would loose every time.)

And for the record Piano Piano sucks. (I think you said as much once.)

Re: new york city in october - 09/01/03 05:52 PM

Quote:
Pique, another point,

2. The "B" is fine, the "BB" is one of the best pianos ever created in MHO. (Like buttttaar.)

[/b]
TomK is wise beyond words (ignoring that bit about the 1899 "B" down the road...)

Now for a bit of pary crashing:

Since you are a group who values the idea of Forum members' parties and getting acquainted with each other personally, outside of the Forums, you are all cordially invited to the Washington DC/Baltimore area piano party on Saturday, Oct. 4, 2-7pm at Steve Cohen's very-interesting-sounding house. Follow the corresponding thread as details develop. Bernard has already indicated he might come down on the train. I hope to see some of you there.

If this particular event isn't feasible for you, perhaps we can all mingle at a get together at Cunningham Piano in Phil. sometime in the future, as Rich has indicated he would be happy to host an event.

Re: new york city in october - 09/01/03 06:12 PM

likewise, ed,
all of your gang down there is more than welcome to join us in new york on (probably?) october 18th.

i am thinking that since.....

a. playing pianos together is an essential part of getting together for most forum members

b. most people are working friday afternoons and will have trouble meeting us in time for playing pianos

c. some joining us are coming from out of town and need time to drive or take the train (and would have an easier time of it if they weren't facing rush hour traffic)

d. some piano showrooms evidently choose to have fridays as their concert days and so might close to visitors in preparation for those concerts on friday afternoons (we could certainly check that supposition out easily enough)

....that we start thinking in terms of saturday, october 18th as the date that works best for the majority. (if anyone reads the above trend differently, don't be shy about contradicting me.)

it seems to me that the most important part of being sure we can do what we plan is to contact the owners of the shops on piano row and ask them if they can guarantee their availability to us on that date. (and check the concert schedule at fh as well...)

any volunteers?

david, you had offered to call carl demler--do you know him well? would you still do that and see if he'll put us on his calendar?

other locals care to pick a piano row shop:

faust harrison
klavier haus

and set up a time?

i'd also vote for visiting steinway hall, if there is time, just for the contrast.

i won't patronize pianopiano myself, but others should feel free....

Re: new york city in october - 09/01/03 08:23 PM

Pique and group,

I hesitated to call Faust and Klavierhaus today about their concert schedules, since it is Labor Day and I assumed they were closed.

The websites of both places don't list any concerts for the 17th or 18th, but it could be that the sites are just not updated yet. I think F-H has not firmed up its schedule, but I'll call tomorrow. Klavierhaus does have some info on the 21-piano concert.

In fact, I can contact Faust about our potential visit. I am a bit curious as how to frame the question. Is it: how would you feel about a horde of 20 or so pianists of all experience levels descending upon your store on the 18th, and could you reserve some time for us all? :p

Jus' kiddin' of course, but seriously, how should I approach them? I suspect Saturdays are pretty busy days for the stores.

I'm not sure about F-H's B vs. BB run-off. I had thought they finished that months ago, but then I never heard that a winner had been selected. Who knows?

Re: new york city in october - 09/01/03 09:26 PM

Quote:
In fact, I can contact Faust about our potential visit. I am a bit curious as how to frame the question. Is it: how would you feel about a horde of 20 or so pianists of all experience levels descending upon your store on the 18th, and could you reserve some time for us all?[/b]
At Faust ask for Kevin R. and say a lot of REALLY NICE THINGS about Liszt. I'm sure he'll accommodate you.

Re: new york city in october - 09/01/03 11:16 PM

having a personal "in" certainly does make a difference, and those of you who do know people at these stores shouldn't hesitate to make use of the connection.

i think also if you explain that we are an online community that helps each other find pianos, and some of us are meeting face to face for the first time, and some have traveled from as far away as montana, pennsylvania, chicago, dc, and coxsackie, they may see it as a good opportunity to buff up their reputations, if not possibly end up making a sale or two.

is anyone who is coming actually currently looking for a piano? even if not, we're going to report our impressions here on the forum, and that could result in a sale.

try to get them to agree to the afternoon of the 18th. if that absolutely doesn't work for one of the stores, please report back here.

now a second thought--perhaps we should ask some of the dealers here how they would like to be approached and then take their advice?

Re: new york city in october - 09/02/03 11:18 AM

here's a link on the beaux arts trio concert on the 18th. the focus is on the art of pianist menachen pressler, who will lecture as part of the concert. tickets just went on sale today.

please check this out:

beaux arts trio at the met october 18th

oops, my bad: it looks like the lecture/concert is a different one in the series, but check it out anyway.

tickets are very reasonable at $35.

Re: new york city in october - 09/02/03 11:47 AM

right now it looks like we're neck and neck for our choice of concert for the 18th:

bernard, lucy, and pianomuse have voted for alicia de laroccha as their first choice.

myself, david burton, and phlebas have voted for the beaux arts trio as their first choice.

also possibly in attendance are:

decibel101
rich d.
frank b.
tomk
linda in pa
kluurs
realplayer
concertkey

would all of you please review the previous posts about these two events and cast your vote? since these tickets will go fast, and there are quite a few of us, perhaps we should get the concert tickets purchased this week.

of course, if you want to pass on the concert and just join us for the piano crawl and dinner, that's great, too!

right now i'm planning to leave town in the morning and will be gone for a week.

bernard, assuming your offer to buy us a block of tickets is still good, if we decide on the beaux arts trio, please get a ticket for me. i'll send you a check or money order to cover it next week, if you notify me of the purchase in my absence.

if the decision is alicia d., i'm not going to be able to go unless we get the cheaper seats, and i'm still on the fence as to whether i'll attend that one. i might just meet you all after.

i won't be online much today--too much to do, but i hope others will weigh in soon... maybe if necessary post an announcement on the piano forum to remind people to check in here?

Re: new york city in october - 09/02/03 12:07 PM

Hi, Folks:

I would be interested in joining on Sat., 10/18, for the piano-crawl and dinner/drinks after. Probably won't be able to join for concert, though.

pique: If you can suggest a specific time, I would be willing to make the contact at Klavierhaus. I've had recent interaction with them.

Thanks . . . Linda

Re: new york city in october - 09/02/03 12:20 PM

here's a proposed schedule:

klavierhaus at 1 pm
beethoven's at 2 pm
faust-harrison at 3 pm
steinway hall (optional?) at 4:30 pm

dinner reservations for 5:30

curtain at 8 pm

that should give us some wiggle room as to time, an take into account travel time.

anyone who is going to call the dealers, please take a look at steve cohen's response to my query on how to go about this in the piano forum.

looks like from penny's response that we should also plan on some time to just play one at a time. \:D

Re: new york city in october - 09/02/03 12:53 PM

pique,

It was an excellent idea to post the thread in the Piano Forum.

Once we firm up a date, I would be glad to call any of the dealers, although I do not have a relationship with any - except some people I know who work at the Steinway factory in Astoria.

I guess we're not putting PianoPiano on the list. ;\)

Re: new york city in october - 09/02/03 01:38 PM

Some of this is duplicated from my posting in Piano Forums.

I am awaiting a call-back from Faust/Harrison, as I am trying to set up our visit there. Strange, no one picked up the phone today; I left a message...maybe they're extremely busy.

We should note that Faust/Harrison and Klavierhaus are not large showrooms. You even have to be buzzed into the front door. Beethoven's, with its 2 floors, is somewhat larger than those two. Steinway & Sons is large, Altenberg's in NJ (with their auxiliary building) is large.

Maybe we should stagger our arrivals, or just divide ourselves into Group A and Group B so we don't all descend on one place at once.

Also we might consider A&C Piano Craft, a few streets away. Again, not a large store, and I think it's rebuilts only. I've seen some nice work from them.

I always did have a funny feeling about PianoPiano. Instruments out of tune and so jammed together you can't walk around in there. I've met some nice sales staff, but perhaps that's as far as it goes.

Re: new york city in october - 09/02/03 02:52 PM

the sense i am getting is that the best date for the majority is saturday, october 18th. this includes a couple of emails i've received, as well as what has been posted here.

if anyone thinks i've misperceived that, please speak up.

otherwise, i make the motion that we set the date for october 18th. all in favor? opposed?

if anyone finds out that that date won't work for the showrooms, please report back here.

i like the idea of visiting pianocraft as i've heard good things about it, but have never been there. where is it?

i think if we just play one at a time, it shouldn't matter if we all go to the showroom at once. i'd hate to miss out hearing someone play because we were in two groups.

Re: new york city in october - 09/02/03 03:09 PM

I'm willing to make my first choice The Beaux Arts Trio on Sat. the 18th. I can always see Alicia on my own if I so desire.

Re: new york city in october - 09/02/03 03:16 PM

Quote:

otherwise, i make the motion that we set the date for october 18th. all in favor? opposed?

[/b]
I second the motion. Also, I agree that it would be a shame not to hear someone because we split up the group.

Re: new york city in october - 09/02/03 03:35 PM

I am willing to commit to Saturday, October 18th. While in my heart of hearts, I would most like to hear Alicia de Larrocha, I would also enjoy the Beaux Arts Trio. If the trio would be a better choice for the majority, count me in as favoring it.

Re: new york city in october - 09/02/03 06:45 PM

Quote:
here's a proposed schedule:

klavierhaus at 1 pm
beethoven's at 2 pm
faust-harrison at 3 pm
steinway hall (optional?) at 4:30 pm

dinner reservations for 5:30

curtain at 8 pm
[/b]
I'll be at Klavierhaus on Saturday and will speak with them in person regarding a Piano Forum visit from 1PM - 2PM on 10/18. Will post back with their response on Monday.

I also vote for remaining together as one group. I think we are still a manageable size at this point.

Re: new york city in october - 09/03/03 12:22 AM

i love how this is turning into a collective effort, with everyone making one sort of contribution or another.

might i suggest that if it turns out we have a majority for beaux arts trio, that alicia de larrocha is playing other (three?) nights that month, and possibly could still be heard by those who want to hear her? (of course, i'm sure that's not the only night the beaux arts trio is playing all year, either).

thanks everyone for handling the contacts at the showrooms. i'll be back in a week or so. i look forward to seeing how things have developed and possibly been finalized by then.

Re: new york city in october - 09/03/03 09:13 AM

here's more excellent advice on approaching dealers from klavier bauer (copied from his posting in the piano forum). please check over there on occasion to see if any other dealers have contributed. the thread is called "to all dealers...." or something like that.

Quote:
I'm sure dealers will be happy to accomodate you pique, as long as they have some notice. An appointment wouldn't be a bad way to do it.
As Steve said, I'm sure they'll be receptive to your group.

I would just add that it's nice for the people swarming the store to be considerate of the store, and other customers. (I say this knowing you will all be sensitive to this... just saying it nonetheless).
A group like this might yield a serious shopper later on, but really the group is there to have fun and play pianos, they're not there to have pianos sold to them. If a dealer knows this, you might have a bit more freedom to play pianos without having to feel like you're stealing sales staff.
If I am playing for liesure or just to try out pianos somewhere, I hop off as soon as another customer begins tinkering around. I absolutely can't stand when someone starts playing while you're playing, but in this type of situation, I figure the serious customer has priority over me, and I yield to them.
I think if your group is sensitive to these things, and gives the dealer sufficient notice, and an honest overview of your intentions, you will all have a great time.

KlavierBauer

Re: new york city in october - 09/03/03 01:25 PM

I'm down for a crawl and dinner, but i'm gonna have to pull out of the show

Sorry guys.

:p
Posted by: Sam_dup1

Re: new york city in october - 09/03/03 02:03 PM

Hi Guys,

I bought a piano from FH, and occasionally, I correspond with Sara. Let me know if I can be of any help. I think Sara is one of the best people I've ever had the pleasure to deal with.
Posted by: Steve Cohen

Re: new york city in october - 09/03/03 02:30 PM

How about an hour to protest in front of PianoPiano!
Posted by: Sam_dup1

Re: new york city in october - 09/03/03 02:35 PM

\:D

Re: new york city in october - 09/03/03 02:36 PM

Re: new york city in october - 09/03/03 03:21 PM

WE ARE CONFIRMED at Faust Harrison Pianos for October 18th at 3 PM. I just spoke to Michael Harrison and he is happy to accommodate us. \:\)

There is no concert that date at F/H. There is one the previous evening, Oct. 17 -- Chris Chalfont, jazz piano with quartet.

I just tried calling K-haus to see if they have any concerts on that weekend...left a message.

By the way, A&C Pianocraft is at 333 W. 52nd between 8th and 9th Aves. So, about six blocks toward downtown if you are at 8th Ave. and 58th. If there's interest, I'll call them.

Cheers,

Re: new york city in october - 09/03/03 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
WE ARE CONFIRMED at Faust Harrison Pianos for October 18th at 3 PM. I just spoke to Michael Harrison and he is happy to accommodate us. \:\) [/b]
WOO HOO! thank you, realplayer!!! that's terrific! \:D \:D \:D

just taking a peek at how things are going. i'm experiencing some delays in getting out of town (always, the usual).

how about a revised schedule that would look like this:

1 pm klavier haus
2 pm beethoven's
3 pm faust-harrison
4:30 pm a &c pianocraft (sounds more interesting to me than steinway hall)

which leaves us in the heart of cheap, good, ethnic food country. we can all cram into an afghani restaurant for chicken tandoor, or head back up to 56th and 9th for the gentility of bella's (and a confirmed reservation to smooth our way).

then, a new idea, since it seems that several participants are passing on the concert....

are people interested in having a parallel option, of simply continuing on after dinner with drinks/coffee/dessert somewhere? is going to a concert a more or a less important part of the evening for people?

or are those who are passing on the concert doing so because they really need to make an early evening of it?

i'd encourage the development of a parallel, non-concert option, if there is interest.

'bye again. i doubt i'll be able to do any more checking in for a while.

Re: new york city in october - 09/03/03 05:13 PM

I would be just as happy without the concert. It might, after all, cause us to feel rushed. Going on to coffee & dessert or drinks would be fine with me.

Re: new york city in october - 09/03/03 06:00 PM

i'm going to have to turn off that "notify by email" function or i'll never get out of here! ;\)

however it comes out, count me in with the majority, bernard. if a substantial body of people would prefer to simply continue on without the pressure of having to make an 8 pm curtain (and possibly be able to spend time at more piano showrooms or more time at one), then i'll do that.

if most people really want to go see the beaux arts trio at 8 at the met museum, please, whoever annoints themselves the ticket buyer, get me a ticket.

thanks!

Re: new york city in october - 09/04/03 01:14 PM

Hi, gang.

I just got in touch with Alex (Kostakis) at A&C PianoCraft, and he would be happy to have us over on October 18.

His normal Saturday hours are 8 to 2, but he is willing to work with us on a time. The 4:30 time suggested a few posts ago would be OK with him, but I do think something earlier would suit him a bit better.

Since we have Faust at 3 PM, what about earlier? Linda, did you get in touch with Klavierhaus? I don't know who's working on Beethoven's.

Once we know what we want to do, I'll call back A&C.

---------------

Over on the Piano Forum, Pianoloverus mentioned Maximiliaan's for art-case pianos (Kl-haus usually has a few of those too, but Max. is exclusively art-case). My impression of the art-case pianos is, they're more fun to look at than to actually play. But if someone wants to go, it will probably be extra-curricular as it's not near Piano Row -- it's on Lexington and E. 32nd St. My suggestion is, anyone who really wants to do that should go there before we all meet on Piano Row.

--------------

I'll be away for a few days. I have computer access, but I don't know whether I'll be permitted to log onto PianoWorld from a remote computer. Just letting you all know.

Re: new york city in october - 09/04/03 01:40 PM

Realplayer,

Why don't we do A&C Pianocraft at 1 or 2, since both those slots are available, and he is open at those times?

Re: new york city in october - 09/04/03 01:41 PM

I'll call Beethoven's, and let you all know.

Re: new york city in october - 09/04/03 02:50 PM

Beethoven's is taken care of.
I talked to Chris Pfund at Beethoven Pianos, and he said they would love to have us on the 18th at any of the remaining time slots - 1, 2, or 3:30. They are open until 7:30 on Sat.

Also, Chris indicated that they will start selling Grotrians, and should have a few in by the 18th.

Re: new york city in october - 09/04/03 04:10 PM

Phlebas,

Thanks for contacting Beethoven! It's so nice that everyone's so receptive!

What say I call A&C and arrange them for 1 PM. That way, if we do Beethoven at 2, it'll be an easy walk to Faust/Harrison at 3.

We'll have less than an hour at A&C really, because figure 10-15 min. to walk to 58th Street from there. May not be so bad, as they are not a very large place. Unless you want to start at A&C at 12:45, but that's hard to remember.

I hope an hour is adequate at all these places -- I've never done anything like this with a group before.

I'll still be available for a couple more hours, if you get the chance to reply. If you reply before 5, I can call A&C today.

Re: new york city in october - 09/04/03 04:18 PM

Quote:
Phlebas,

Thanks for contacting Beethoven! It's so nice that everyone's so receptive!

What say I call A&C and arrange them for 1 PM. That way, if we do Beethoven at 2, it'll be an easy walk to Faust/Harrison at 3.

We'll have less than an hour at A&C really, because figure 10-15 min. to walk to 58th Street from there. May not be so bad, as they are not a very large place. Unless you want to start at A&C at 12:45, but that's hard to remember.

I hope an hour is adequate at all these places -- I've never done anything like this with a group before.

I'll still be available for a couple more hours, if you get the chance to reply. If you reply before 5, I can call A&C today. [/b]
A&C at 1:00, and Beethoven and 2:00 sounds great. We can always call places ahead if we are running late.

Re: new york city in october - 09/04/03 04:27 PM

Realplayer,

The last I saw, you had a call into Klavier Haus, so I didn't try to contact them. Let me know if you need any help with them.

Re: new york city in october - 09/04/03 04:59 PM

OK! I just confirmed A&C for 1 PM on the 18th.

So far, we have:

1 PM -- A&C Piano Craft
2 PM -- Beethoven
3 PM -- Faust Harrison

Phlebs, when I called Klavierhaus, it was about finding out if they had any concerts that weekend. No one got back to me on that. I'd appreciate it if someone else could call them about the visit, as I'll be away for a few days.

So, do check in with Beethoven to firm up the 2 PM time.

Thanks for your phone work!
Posted by: Rich D.

Re: new york city in october - 09/04/03 07:30 PM

Looks like I'll be traveling up by Metroliner for the meeting on Sat morning. Any recommendations on a hotel close to the Central Park thats not too too expensive?

Re: new york city in october - 09/04/03 08:02 PM

Wow! Rich D. that's fantastic. Check out this web page, they have lots of listings, i.e., best-deal-for-the-money, budget, little-known, etc.

Best Hotel Bets

Re: new york city in october - 09/04/03 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sam:
Hi Guys,

I bought a piano from FH, and occasionally, I correspond with Sara. Let me know if I can be of any help. I think Sara is one of the best people I've ever had the pleasure to deal with. [/b]
Thanks Sam.

Please let us know if you can join us that Sat.
Posted by: jodi

Re: new york city in october - 09/04/03 11:33 PM

I hope somebody here remembers to bring a CAMERA.

\:\) Jodi

Re: new york city in october - 09/05/03 11:20 AM

Klavierhaus is all set. I talked to Gabor Reisinger there, and he said 3:30 is fine - he actually marked his calendar for 3:00-5:00 on the 18th.

Re: new york city in october - 09/05/03 11:34 AM

sounds fun... i'd bring a camera but I only have what the local duane reade has for disposibles....

Re: new york city in october - 09/05/03 12:24 PM

I'll bring my digital camera - if I remember.

Re: new york city in october - 09/05/03 01:03 PM

Quote:
Klavierhaus is all set. I talked to Gabor Reisinger there, and he said 3:30 is fine - he actually marked his calendar for 3:00-5:00 on the 18th.
Wow, thanks, Phlebas, for arranging this. \:\) Since we are at Faust Harrison at 3, it may be more likely we'll get to K-haus around 4.

As you can see, although not at home, I am able to log on to Piano World. Yippee!

!!!NEWS FLASH!!!

Maybe some of you New Yorkers already know about this, but I just picked up a magazine out here -- you know, one of those high-lifestyle mags directed at the idle rich -- and there is an ad in there for a new Boesendorfer showroom in Manhattan. The address given is the same as for Maximillian's, 200 Lexington Ave. (although it gives a Suite number in that building). So I don't know if that means it replaces Max's on the ground floor, or is somewhere else in the building.

What do you all think? Are there Boesie fans attending our pianofest who would like to visit there? Should we investigate?

Re: new york city in october - 09/05/03 01:06 PM

Realplayer,

I messed up. Should have said 4:30 instead of 3:30. Since they marked us down for 3-5, this should not be a problem, unless someone thinks we will be too pushed for time.
That's what happens when I try to do this stuff from work.

Re: new york city in october - 09/05/03 01:11 PM

Quote:
!!!NEWS FLASH!!!

Maybe some of you New Yorkers already know about this, but I just picked up a magazine out here -- you know, one of those high-lifestyle mags directed at the idle rich -- and there is an ad in there for a new Boesendorfer showroom in Manhattan. The address given is the same as for Maximillian's, 200 Lexington Ave. (although it gives a Suite number in that building). So I don't know if that means it replaces Max's on the ground floor, or is somewhere else in the building.

What do you all think? Are there Boesie fans attending our pianofest who would like to visit there? Should we investigate? [/b]
It sounds interesting. Logistically though, 200 Lex. is at 32nd St., and across town from the other dealers, so it may be difficult to include in our crawl.

Re: new york city in october - 09/05/03 07:53 PM

Phlebas wrote:

Quote:
It sounds interesting. Logistically though, 200 Lex. is at 32nd St., and across town from the other dealers, so it may be difficult to include in our crawl.
Yes, you are quite right. And we do have quite a full plate as it is. Just putting the information out there.

Re: new york city in october - 09/05/03 08:33 PM

Quote:
Phlebas wrote:

Quote:
Yes, you are quite right. And we do have quite a full plate as it is. Just putting the information out there. [/b]
Well, thanks for doing so. I will definately check it out on my own. And, if it does not work into the agenda, some of the out-of-towners will want to see it when they are here too.

So, what does everyone want to eat that on teh 18th? ;\)

Re: new york city in october - 09/07/03 11:12 AM

Hey, Folks:

As originally agreed, I spoke with Klavierhaus when I was there yesterday and confirmed us for 1PM on 10/18. Wish you folks notified me when changing the schedule. Will one of you (and only one of you) please double check with Klavierhaus to confirm the time slot for which we are confirmed? As of 6PM yesterday evening, there was nothing actually written on their calendar for PW on the 18th. Michael and Sujatri pulled the calendar out (saw it with my own eyes) and put us down for 1PM. Gabor was not in the showroom last evening - perhaps he has a note of our visit somewhere other than on the calendar???

I have no trouble with a time change, but I do think that designating more than one contact per dealer was unnecessary and has caused confusion which someone will now need to clear.

Thank you . . . Linda

Re: new york city in october - 09/07/03 11:21 AM

Quote:
[QUOTE] ... a new Boesendorfer showroom in Manhattan. The address given is the same as for Maximillian's, 200 Lexington Ave. (although it gives a Suite number in that building). So I don't know if that means it replaces Max's on the ground floor, or is somewhere else in the building. [/b]
Gerhard and Lisa Feldman are the proprietors and they are located on the 9th floor in the Design Center. I was there on a Saturday (appointment necessary) - you need to sign in at the guard desk in the lobby and be announced before gaining access to the building. The showroom is quite "live" - high ceilings, hardwood floors, no carpets/uphosltered furniture - and lots of beautiful Boesendorfers. Didn't meet Gerhard, but Lisa was absolutely delightful. Well worth the effort to schedule a separate visit (IMO).

Re: new york city in october - 09/07/03 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Linda in PA:
Hey, Folks:

As originally agreed, I spoke with Klavierhaus when I was there yesterday and confirmed us for 1PM on 10/18. Wish you folks notified me when changing the schedule. Will one of you (and only one of you) please double check with Klavierhaus to confirm the time slot for which we are confirmed? As of 6PM yesterday evening, there was nothing actually written on their calendar for PW on the 18th. Michael and Sujatri pulled the calendar out (saw it with my own eyes) and put us down for 1PM. Gabor was not in the showroom last evening - perhaps he has a note of our visit somewhere other than on the calendar???

I have no trouble with a time change, but I do think that designating more than one contact per dealer was unnecessary and has caused confusion which someone will now need to clear.

Thank you . . . Linda [/b]
Linda,

I apologize for any confusion I might have caused in trying to schedule with any of the dealers. RealPlayer confirmed in this thread that he was able to schedule two of the dealers. Since I did not see confirmations from anyone else in this thread who may have contacted dealers, I offered to contact Klavierhaus and Beethoven.

I was not trying to step on your toes, or complicate things by contacting KH myself. There are so many posts in this thread that I forgot you said you were seeing them on Sat. It was simply an honest mistake.

Re: new york city in october - 09/07/03 08:03 PM

Wow, this is exciting!!

Just an FYI, don't count my opinion on the concert, because I don't think I will be able to go...my schedule is always last-minute, so if something comes up and I can't make it, I don't want to be stuck with an extra ticket!

Re: new york city in october - 09/08/03 12:12 PM

So, to Linda in PA and Phlebas:

Has one of you called Klavierhaus to reconfirm the time Phlebas originally scheduled -- about 4 PM? (This being because A&C has to see us at 1 PM, as they usually close at 2 on Saturdays)?

I'd offer to call K-haus myself, except I'm away from NYC till Thursday, and it gets even more confusing if a third person calls -- too many cooks, you know.

Thanks,

Re: new york city in october - 09/08/03 12:38 PM

Joe and Linda.
I have a call in to them, and am waiting for a call back.

Re: new york city in october - 09/08/03 05:05 PM

Hi, Phlebas and Joe:

Sorry for being in such a snit, yesterday. I'll join Joe in staying out of the "soup" and allow Phlebas to do the "cooking" moving forward. Hope everone else will follow.

Phlebas, it's not my toes that I'm concerned about (and you didn't really step on them) - I know that some other PW revelers (in addition to us) contacted various staff at Klavierhaus regarding our visit. While I appreciate the enthusiasm, it gets messy and exasperating for the dealer.

Many thanks for clearing up the confusion. Looking forward to the gathering!

. . . Linda

Re: new york city in october - 09/09/03 12:42 PM

How about Chez josephine's is on W. 42 St near 9 AVE.? Anyone know about this place? Supposedly has a pianist performing during the evening. Might be overkill don't know.

Re: new york city in october - 09/09/03 01:40 PM

We are confirmed at Klavier Haus for 4-4:30 to 5:30 on the 18th. Gabor Reisinger got back to me today to confirm the time.

Re: new york city in october - 09/09/03 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phlebas:
We are confirmed at Klavier Haus for 4-4:30 to 5:30 on the 18th. Gabor Reisinger got back to me today to confirm the time. [/b]
Thanks!

Re: new york city in october - 09/10/03 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David Burton:
How about Chez josephine's is on W. 42 St near 9 AVE.? Anyone know about this place? Supposedly has a pianist performing during the evening. Might be overkill don't know. [/b]
We'd need a reservation no doubt since that's in the heart of the theatre district. Also, did you know that some of the restaurants in and around Times Square are now adding gratuity to the check!? It's an outrage.

One of the owners of the company I work for suggested Bangkok Cuisine on 55th St. and 8th Ave.

Bottom line for me: I'll go where everyone else wants to go. I've heard pique's suggestion, David's suggestion and my boss's -- they all sound fine to me.

Re: new york city in october - 09/11/03 11:26 AM

Thank, Phlebas, for confirming the Klavierhaus time.

I'll go along with others' suggestions for eating places. I'm a vegetarian, but most restaurants in Manhattan offer some veggie dish or other, so no problem unless you all decide on a steakhouse!

I think I've been to the Thai place Bernard suggested. It's good and not expensive, IIRC. Still open to all other ideas; I'll rely on other folks' experiences with restaurants.

Since our first piano stop is at A&C at 1 PM, and that's closer to 9th Ave. at about 53rd, does anyone want to meet in that ethnic restaurant area for lunch? Or would that be overkill, since we're already doing dinner? Maybe it could be optional...just an idea.

Joe

Re: new york city in october - 09/11/03 04:24 PM

hi, everyone! i'm home for just one night, then taking off again midday tomorrow.

it is great to see how everything is taking shape!

bernard, i've also been to that thai restaurant. i don't remember a lot about it, but that it was as good or better than most thai restaurants i've been to in nyc, which are generally excellent. of course, i was probably last there about 13 years ago....

i'll be happy with whatever we decide for a restaurant, as long as the food is good and it isn't a tourist trap or too spendy. i do think it should either be close to piano row, or close to the concert, if we are going to one.

phlebas, i mentioned earlier an indian restaurant that is in an apartment building on columbus circle. do you know the one i mean? oh, well.... \:\( i have no idea the name of it any more.

rich, i would try getting a room through priceline.com. you can specify, for example, that you want a four-star hotel for $50/night and they may find it for you! i got a $200/night room for that much using them once. hoteliers would rather sell the rooms cheap than let them sit empty....

there is a nice hotel right on piano row, but i'm not sure of their rates. it's an apartment hotel. i can't find the brochure that i saved. maybe if you called one of the piano shops they could tell you the name of it? if i remember right, it is almost right across the street from beethoven's.

i'm thrilled you are going to be joining us! \:\)

Re: new york city in october - 09/11/03 05:22 PM

Quote:

phlebas, i mentioned earlier an indian restaurant that is in an apartment building on columbus circle. do you know the one i mean? oh, well.... \:\( i have no idea the name of it any more.

[/b]
Welcome back!

I am not familiar with this restaurant. There is so much construction going on in Columbus Circle, that I wonder if it is still around.

One thing I would suggest though is we should get a count of people who want to see Beaux Art Trio, and who want to go to dinner because we should think about getting tickets.
I take it you are a firm "yes" for the concert.

Re: new york city in october - 09/11/03 11:47 PM

hi, phlebas!

the indian restaurant was on the top floor or a very high floor of this building. you took an elevator to it. it had big windows looking out over columbus circle and central park. it was a find. i guess i'll have to investigate when i'm there and see if my nose can find it again. \:\)

as i posted before i left, if the majority are going to the beaux arts trio, i am in need of a ticket. however, if most people decide they would rather hang out and not have a curtain deadline over their heads, then i'd prefer to hang out with them.

i won't be away so long this time. i will be home sunday night at the latest, so hopefully we can make a decision by monday and make a reservation and get some tickets before it is too late.

Re: new york city in october - 09/12/03 12:05 AM

My gosh, ancient memories resurfacing: I recall having been to a wonderful Indian restaurant on an upper floor on Central Park So. with a view of the park. Its name was "Nirvana." Could it be it's still there? Could it be what you're thinking of? The food was memorable.

This must have been at least 15-20 years ago though, when I was there.

Re: new york city in october - 09/12/03 11:47 AM

yes!! yes!! that's it!! nirvana was the restaurant!! it was really special. if everyone coming likes indian food, we should consider going there, if it still exists.

anyone have a manhattan business phone directory on hand and could see if it is still around? even if we don't go there as a group, i will certainly go there at some point during my new york visit if it is still there.

Re: new york city in october - 09/12/03 12:38 PM

try menupages.com

pretty comprehensive listing for manhattan

Re: new york city in october - 09/12/03 12:58 PM

Pique et al.:

I just phoned Nirvana (it's still there) and was told that, unfortunately, they are undergoing major reconstruction now, and won't re-open until December 9.

There's another restaurant called Nirvana listed as being downtown on W. 4th Street/6 Ave., but that won't help us up on Piano Row -- and I don't know if it's the same management (their number was hooked up to a fax machine).

Back to the drawing board...
\:\(

Re: new york city in october - 09/14/03 12:06 AM

I've never had a gratuity charge added to a restaurant bill in Manhattan, even in the Theater District. Maybe I travel in the wrong circles. Anyway, I think that Chez Josephine would provide an enticing atmosphere. I called the restaurant and was told that they leave the gratuity up to their customers, even with large parties.

Re: new york city in october - 09/14/03 02:12 AM

It only happened to me once (which is enough), but upon complaining about it at work was told that more restaurants were doing it because of the foreign tourists not understanding. (?) Anyway, the better places probably do not do it.

What's the menu like at Chez Josephine's? Does anyone know?

Re: new york city in october - 09/14/03 05:12 AM

Hi, Bernard,

I decided to put my present bout of insomnia to good use and visit Piano World. Chez Josephine is run by Josephine Baker's adopted son, Jean-Claude. Checking Zagat's I read that the ambience is "charming" and "right out of La Cage Aux Folles" with the food being "just as good." Probably not everyone's cup of tea. I was just reviving David's suggestion. Since we'll probably be a fairly large group, I was thinking that it would be good to come up with a list of possibilities. Given my druthers, I would be resplendently happy taking a 10-minute ride on the subway from Piano Row down to Raoul's in "old" SOHO, where the food and atmosphere are both wonderful and not at all stuffy, but that's just me.
Posted by: irving

Re: new york city in october - 09/14/03 07:21 AM

THIS NOTE IS A COPY OF THE ONE THAT I HAVE POSTED ON THE MAIN FORUM

Hello and greetings.

I have signed on so that I might personally convey my welcome to all of you who are planning to visit Piano Row and Faust Harrison Pianos on October 18. We look forward to your visit and will do our best to make your time with us enjoyable and worthwhile. Michael Harrison and Marina Andreou will be at the store to greet you. If possible, Sara and/or I will be there as well.

On Friday evening, October 17 at 7:00 PM, our concert series will feature Indrek Laul and friends. Dr. Laul (President of the Laul Estonia Piano Company) and other pianists will most likely perform on an Estonia model 190. We would love to be able to have one of our Estonia concert grands at the store for the performance but, because of space limitations, this will probably not be possible. Dr. Laul will also make a brief presentation about the history and the future of his company and his pianos. You are all invited to join us, but please let us know if you are planning to attend. Sometimes, space does become an issue. Details will appear shortly on our web site: www.faustharrisonpianos.com.

I would also like to tell all of you how much I have enjoyed being a read-only visitor here the past few months. The discussions are interesting; they are also often informative and enlightening. The spirit of this forum is always great as is so much of the writing. I look forward to more of the same. And thank you, Frank, for making this forum possible.

Irving Faust

Re: new york city in october - 09/14/03 01:27 PM

I just remembered. There is a fabulous, moderately priced Thai restaurant in the Theater District. The staff is incredibly gracious, the food is the best Thai food I've ever eaten, and the ambience is lovely. Can I remember the name of it? Well, no. But I'll track down the friend who took me there, and get the name, hours, etc.

Re: new york city in october - 09/14/03 02:03 PM

Irving wrote:
 Quote:
I have signed on so that I might personally convey my welcome to all of you who are planning to visit Piano Row and Faust Harrison Pianos on October 18. We look forward to your visit and will do our best to make your time with us enjoyable and worthwhile.
Irving, thank you and welcome to Piano World! It is great to have you here, and we, too, are very much looking forward to our visit to Faust Harrison Pianos.

I'm sure you and I have crossed paths at some time. It will be nice to see you again. I've been up to your Irvington showroom, and Michael's an old friend.

Lucy wrote:

Quote:
There is a fabulous, moderately priced Thai restaurant in the Theater District. The staff is incredibly gracious, the food is the best Thai food I've ever eaten, and the ambience is lovely.
Could this be the Thai place someone else mentioned in an earlier post in this thread?

Also, I have an audio-engineer friend who lives in the Theater District and is something of a gourmand. I'll bend his ear and try to get some restaurant suggestions out of him.

Re: new york city in october - 09/14/03 11:41 PM

My friend who took me to the excellent Thai restaurant just called and reminded me that the name of the place is Siam Inn. It is near Piano Row at 51st and 8th. She said that she has seen large parties held at this restaurant, and that they haven't appeared rushed by the staff. Entrees are in the $12 to $17 range. I'll call the restaurant to find answers to specific questions that anyone might have.

Re: new york city in october - 09/15/03 01:51 AM

i love thai food, myself. thanks for looking into that, lucy.

i would hope that if anyone planning to join us doesn't like or can't eat thai food, or any other kind of food, that they would speak up. there are enough great choices in that neighborhood that we shouldn't have trouble satisfying everyone.

thank you for the welcome, irving, and we hope you'll share your expertise on the forums. many other dealer-members have been highly valued resources for the piano novices here.

i'm very interested in attending the concert with dr. laul on friday night. please put me down on the guest list. perhaps if other forum members also want to attend, we can meet at that concert as an appetizer for the riches to follow on saturday.

as we get closer to the actual day, we might want to discuss how we'll organize our visits so that everyone gets to play for the group who would like to, so that we all get time to explore the pianos for sale, and so that the beginners in our group won't become too intimidated to play because of the professional talent in our midst.

a couple of ideas on this--perhaps for our first half hour at a store, we can all wander freely and try out the pianos.

then for the second half hour, only one person plays at a time, on a piano they've chosen during the first half hour, and the rest of us listen.

since it can be intimidating to play for a group anyway, let alone a semi-public performance for people you've met for the first time, and since some of our members are just beginners, and others are professional pianists, i'd like to also propose that we have people play for the group in reverse order of seniority.

that is, those who have been playing the least amount of time play first, so as not to be forced to follow someone who is much better and more experienced than they are.

and since there is a rotating cast of characters, perhaps when it comes time to play for the group, we'll ask that anyone who has played for a year or less and wants to play come forward first. then two years, three, etc.

i'm suggesting this because of my own feelings of nervousness and tendency to be intimidated if someone much better than i plays first, and also because i know there are others among us who have been studying even less time than i have.

just an idea for discussion.....

Re: new york city in october - 09/15/03 05:47 AM

Great ideas, pique!

I am trying to free up October 17th which I booked after thinking that our carousing (and edification) would take only one night--the 18th.
If I can work it out, I'd love to join you at Faust-Harrison. \:D

Best, Lucy

Re: new york city in october - 09/15/03 10:49 AM

Welcome to Piano World, Irving. Sorry that I won't be able to attend Dr. Laul's recitatl on 10/17. Hope that you have a fun audience!

I appreciate pique's concern for the performance apprehension that those of us who are less experienced may feel. I don't play very well, yet, but am not easily intimidated (my playing is what it is) so it doesn't matter when I play. I'm just soooo looking forward to meeting all of you and learning from your experiences. Can hardly wait!

As for restaurants, as long as I can get there with minimal walking/stair climbing, I'm pretty much open to whatever the group craves.

Re: new york city in october - 09/15/03 12:14 PM

pique,

Welcome back. Good ideas for the playing. I haven't played in front of anyone for more than 15 yrs., but I remember what it's like to be nervous. I'm sure everyone will be encouraging and positive to each other.

I'm up for anything food-wise.

Re: new york city in october - 09/15/03 12:22 PM

Interesting that Irving says Dr. Laul is now scheduled for Oct. 17. Earlier (see my earlier post in this thread)I was told a jazz pianist was playing there on the 17th, as part of their "Piansts for the New Millennium" series.

The Thai place certainly sounds good to me; no problems there. Of course, if someone hears of another really good place, we should all consider it.

Pique wrote:

Quote:
we might want to discuss how we'll organize our visits . . . . so that the beginners in our group won't become too intimidated to play because of the professional talent in our midst.
How about having a free and extensive wine tasting at 12 noon that day, for the "professional talent" only? \:D

Just kidding. Seriously, I like Pique's idea, and welcome others.

I'm really looking forward to meeting all of you!

Best,

Re: new york city in october - 09/15/03 12:42 PM

yeah, encouraging and positive is what we performance babies need. \:D everyone be nice, now! ;\)

lucy, does that thai restaurant take reservations for large groups? we need a head count....

me
lucy
bernard
decibel101
david burton
realplayer
phlebas
linda in pa
rich d.
frank b. (?)

ok, i suffer from mentalpause... who did i miss?

anyone bringing a date or other friends? lucy, is your husband and daughter coming? david, are you bringing a friend, too? rich, is chris coming with you?

also, do they serve wine? i'm going to need some after playing for all of you.... (NOT before \:D )

wouldn't hurt to get our reservation in early....

and what have we decided on the concert on the 18th? how many want to go to the beaux arts trio? how many would prefer to have a later dinner and more time at the piano stores?

the above answers may determine what time our dinner reservation should be for, and what restaurant locations will work.

could those who organized the piano shop schedule post it here again? i know we begin at 1 pm at a&c piano craft...

what is the rest of the schedule?

do we have all the stores we wanted?

do we want to also visit steinway hall?

Re: new york city in october - 09/15/03 02:07 PM

Quote:

me
lucy
bernard
decibel101
david burton
realplayer
phlebas
linda in pa
rich d.
frank b. (?)

[/b]
I week or so ago, I went through the thread, and counted about 18 people. Sam and Kluurs - if he is still coming out here - come to mind.

Steinway hall is having a sale this Sat., and I'm taking my daughter. If people want me to, I can talk to them about the 18th.

Re: new york city in october - 09/15/03 07:36 PM

Re: the anxiety of playing for others. I suspect we will be our own worst judge when all is said and done. I hope I speak for more than myself by saying that I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing what everyone's been working on and how they've been working at it. These will not be "performances" I hope!! (Frank, where's the scared graemlin?)

Re: new york city in october - 09/15/03 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
Re: the anxiety of playing for others. I suspect we will be our own worst judge when all is said and done. I hope I speak for more than myself by saying that I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing what everyone's been working on and how they've been working at it. These will not be "performances" I hope!! (Frank, where's the scared graemlin?) [/b]

Re: new york city in october - 09/16/03 12:53 AM

Great! Can that be added to our selection?

Re: new york city in october - 09/17/03 03:36 PM

MORE RESTAURANT POSSIBILITIES

I got in touch with my bon-vivant Manhattan friend, who recommends the following close to Piano Row:

"We like the Italian place called Terra on 8th Ave (55-56). Also Bangkok Cuisine, across from us, 8th Ave (52-53)."

And, a bit further afield (around 9th Ave.):

"We like:
Ariana Afgan Kebab
Afgan Kebab House
Kiran (Indian)
Eatery (yup food)
Pietrosante (It.)
Pam's Real Thai (best in Manhattan we think)
Lakruwana (Sri Lanka, very quiet and strange, but good)"

There ya go. Can't go hungry in Manhattan!
;\)

Re: new york city in october - 09/17/03 06:07 PM

thanks for the further tips, rp.

i've been to a few of those places. the afghani places are tops. however, you can't make reservations or have a table for twenty at most of those places. they are closets, and would be uncomfortable for a group our size.

i know that you can make reservations for bello's (italian, 56th and 9th) and that it is a quiet enough atmosphere to talk comfortably.

and the thai place on 8th avenue around 56th/55th street is also quiet and i think takes reservations.

could your friend also tell us which of those restaurants could handle reservations for a large group and would be serene enough an environment for witticisms to be heard across the table? (noise being something of a fetish in manhattan eateries, i've noticed).

Re: new york city in october - 09/17/03 06:44 PM

I'd also suggest Kennedy's on 57th. Very nice and can accomodate a large crowd. (An old hang out of mine.)

And pique, can't promise, but I will try to make it. I have a lot of things going on in my life in the next couple of months, (e.g. we're selling our place in FL and moving the whole kit and kaboodle back to NY (LI, NJ, CT, NYC bigger apt. who knows?)

(And then again, we may not move!) A MESS.

Re: new york city in october - 09/19/03 09:04 AM

OK, so it looks like this thing is really coming together. Count me in on the following:

The concert at Faust Harrison at 7 pm on Friday, October 17th.

A&C Pianos at 1 pm on Saturday, October 18th.
Klavierhaus (a wonderful place) at 4-4:30 to 5:30 pm on Saturday, October 18th.

The times for Faust Harrison and Beethoven's seem up in the air at the moment. Can anyone be tapped to make arrangements?

I take it we aren't going to bother with P---- P---- which is a bit unfortunate because many of us are basing our suspicions on one story that we don't even know is true. It just goes to show you how ruinous rumors can be. The last time I was in there they had some nice Prambergers and other things you've all heard about but many have never seen or played. They also had a lot of nice rebuilt Golden Age Steinways. Is it just me or do I sense that the rebuilt Golden Age Steinway may be a little too common? The truth is that most are quite wonderful and only give promise of becoming more so over time.

Liked pique's suggestions about letting the younger and least experienced players play first. This is commonly what's done in school concerts so that younger less experienced players feel less intimidated. It's a good idea.

As for restaurants, I am open for anything, please include reservations for two for me as I am going to bring a guest who will hopefully join us for one or two of the piano row stores too.

I am undecided about the Met Museum concert yet, surely the best thing that evening. Will let you know.
Posted by: irving

Re: new york city in october - 09/19/03 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David Burton:

The times for Faust Harrison and Beethoven's seem up in the air at the moment. [/b]
David,

The last I heard about this, your visit to Faust Harrison was going to be at 3 PM, but this no longer seems possible. If you want to change the time to 3:30, that's fine with us. But please confirm - either by phone or right here. I look forward to meeting you.

Regarding the October 17th (7:00 PM) concert, the program has not yet been fully set but in addition to Indrek Laul, we will be hearing Sara Faust, Terry Waldo and Eubie Blake. Several pianos will be used including a new Estonia and a new Mason & Hamlin. Were hoping to be treated to at least some piano four-hand wizardry in which Sara is accompanied by none other than - herself. Terry and Eubie will play the two-piano piece that brought down the house at Jazz at Lincoln Center and most recently at Queens Theatre in the Park. In case youre wondering whats going on here, this concert is made possible through the magic of PianoDisc. If you can make it, this concert is not to be missed. But please be sure to call the showroom soon to have Michael hold a place for you. Space is very limited.

Complete details will appear on our web site as soon as they are available.

(I am also posting this concert update on the main Forum)

Irving

Re: new york city in october - 09/19/03 10:05 AM

David,

Glad you will be able to make it down from upstate.

Actually we have confirmed the times, and they are as follows:
A&C - 1:00
Beethoven - 2:00
Faust Harrison - 3:00
Klavier Haus - between 4 and 4:30.

Because of the heated nature of the exchanges - both on and offline - between folks in PW and the other dealer you mentioned, it would have to be very uncomfortable for both parties if we included them as part of our dealer crawl. I'm sure we would be treated in the most obsequeous manner possible, but we wouldn't ultimately learn much. That's just my opinion. However, I would be interested to hear any reports by people who come into town, and individually visit said dealer.

Re: new york city in october - 09/19/03 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by irving:
[QUOTE]

The last I heard about this, your visit to Faust Harrison was going to be at 3 PM, but this no longer seems possible. If you want to change the time to 3:30, that's fine with us. But please confirm - either by phone or right here. I look forward to meeting you.

Irving [/b]
Irving,

Thank you (belatedly) for the welcome. I look forward to visiting Faust Harrison on the 18th.

You're correct. We are confirmed for 3:00 on the 18th.

cheers.

Re: new york city in october - 09/19/03 10:25 AM

we were planning on excluding piano piano before that first post by bvh ever happened. two of us who are on the piano crawl have had bad experiences with them. i was boycotting them long before anything happened on this forum. if you look back to earlier posts, you'll see that, and also that i said if others wished to go there, i have no objection but i won't be joining you.

irving, the appointments with you and beethoven's were evidently made before we added a&c pianocraft to the itinerary. since they are several blocks away, and i hear they have a lot of interesting, nice pianos to look at, we may want to take our full hour there. if so, we may be late to beethoven's by ten minutes or so, and hence, a bit late to our 3 pm date with you.

but if you can be a bit flexible with us on our exact time of arrival, i think we can leave the schedule as it is. if that will cause any inconvenience, then perhaps we should make it 3:30 to be certain we'll be on time.

would people now list their first picks for restaurants? phlebas, since you are so familiar with the gastronomic possibilities of the neighborhood, perhaps we should give greater weight to your recommendation?

my personal requirements as to a restaurant:
good food
friendly service
peaceful, pleasant atmosphere
can take a reservation and seat a large group together
cheaply or moderately priced

i don't think my requirements are too demanding as i know lots of restaurants in that neighborhood meet them. thai, chinese, italian, indian, ethiopian, cuban... makes little difference to me, the cuisine.

oh, i just remembered another favorite restaurant of mine that again, i don't remember the name of. it is japanese, on either 56th or 55th street, in the middle of the block between 8th and 9th aves, on the south side of the street and upstairs. they have a japanese "room" on a raised platform in front of the windows where you sit on mats at a low table. a very intimate, friendly space, good for parties, and great food.

again, i don't know if it is still there.

Re: new york city in october - 09/19/03 10:38 AM

irving,
the friday night concert sounds absolutely wonderful and i am looking forward to it.

do i need to call the showroom to make a reservation or can i do it right here? i would be bringing a friend, so there are two of us.

thank you so much for your gracious welcome and making this concert available to us.

Re: new york city in october - 09/19/03 11:42 AM

Quote:

would people now list their first picks for restaurants? phlebas, since you are so familiar with the gastronomic possibilities of the neighborhood, perhaps we should give greater weight to your recommendation?

[/b]
Hey, leave my weight out of it! ;\)

Actually, these days I rarely dine in that neighborhood.
My vote would be for Bella's, because I'm afraid that someone joining us might not be thrilled about a specific ethnic alternative. If I'm wrong, and everyone likes Indian or Thai, that's fine with me too.
Let's decide and get a reservation.

Re: new york city in october - 09/19/03 12:40 PM

i'm a second vote for bella's. i love thai food and wouldn't ordinarily pass up any opportunity to have it (no good thai food where i live), but bella's has a wonderful ambience, great service, very good food reasonably priced (for nyc), they serve wine, they take reservations.... and it is conveniently located. and phlebas' point is well taken, that if anyone has trouble with spicy food or strange cuisines, they won't have a problem finding something to eat at bella's.

just in case any of the above has changed since i was last there, if anyone is in the neighborhood in the near future, why not check out bella's (northwest corner of 56th and 9th) and report back here on your observations?

Re: new york city in october - 09/19/03 02:27 PM

Thanks, Pique, et al. for re-stating the schedule of piano store visits.

I'm pretty happy with whatever restaurant everyone wants to go to. By mentioning all those restaurants, I didn't want to make things difficult. Pique, is the Thai place you're referring to the one that was mentioned earlier -- Bangkok Cuisine? That's on 8th/53rd, not 56th though. It seems to be widely recommended.

Re: new york city in october - 09/19/03 05:49 PM

Although I just said I'd be happy with the group consensus on a type of restaurant, and that's true, I do want to state a preference for Thai -- Italian is wonderful; just so ubiquitous. ;\)

Re: new york city in october - 09/19/03 08:33 PM

well, is there anyone who doesn't like thai? i love thai food, too. and the name bangkok cuisine does ring a bell. is it on eighth avenue in the 50s? that's all i remember about the place i've been to.

does it have a nice dining room and a liquor license? (of course i guess we can always bring our own wine if it doesn't). what i would like to avoid is one of those tiny places that have pinheads for tables. it would be awkward to seat a large group in that kind of place.

if it is the place i remember, it was a very nice space to socialize in.

has anyone been there recently? will any of you be in the neighborhood in the near future and could perhaps check it out?

Re: new york city in october - 09/19/03 10:38 PM

Pique,

I don't get up to that neighborhood often, but I'll ask my friend about noise there and the size of the place (Bangkok Cuisine). I can call the restaurant directly to see if they take reservations and have a liquor license.

Re: new york city in october - 09/20/03 01:03 AM

thanks, realplayer!

Re: new york city in october - 09/20/03 12:54 PM

Love Thai food here....hey do they have drunken noodles on the menu? \:D

Re: new york city in october - 09/20/03 03:12 PM

Info on Bangkok Thai from my friend:

>1) Are they large enough to accommodate a group of 20? Is the dining room comfortable?

Dining room medium-large and comfortable, by NY Thai standards. They probably can do 20.

>2) Is the place noisy such that it's difficult to hear yourself or friends?

No.

>3) Do you recall if they serve liquor?

Yes. Singha, and hard likker too.

>4) Do they take reservations?

I think so.

You should just stop by when coming uptown and give it a visual. It is bigger than many Thai places. There are 2 other largish Thai restaurants on 8th Ave that you could look at too.

Re: new york city in october - 09/21/03 01:10 AM

I'm thinking it's time I put in an appearance at a Piano World Forums meeting.
But... now that this thread is on it's 6th page, I'm not sure what the agenda is.

If I come to NY the 17th, who am I meeting, where (I usually stay at the Renaissance in Times Square)?

Re: new york city in october - 09/21/03 02:00 AM

i don't blame you for wanting to be spared reading the whole thread.

if you come into town on the 17th, you can join a few of us who are planning to attend a concert at faust-harrison that evening.

dr. laul, the owner of estonia, will be giving a lecture concert and there will be other performers on various pianos, including eubie blake.

then, on the 18th, at 1 pm, we are all meeting at a&c pianocraft (not sure of the address--anyone?). from there we move on to beethoven pianos, faust harrison, and klavier haus, all on west 58th street. we have appointments with each dealer, about an hour apart.

at around 5:30 or 6, we're headed off to dinner at a highly recommended thai restaurant in the neighborhood. (at least, that seems where people are leaning--we haven't had any thai detractors so far).

it is still to be determined if we are going to also go to the beaux arts trio concert that evening at the met museum of art.

please put your preferences in to the mix, frank, so they can be taken into account. thai or no? concert? or hang out longer at piano dealers and linger over dinner?

Re: new york city in october - 09/21/03 09:09 AM

In case I did not mention this before, and just for the record, I like Thai, and most other ethnic foods.

As an aside, S&S was having a sale yesterday that I went to. Played some lovely Steinways - and actually a very nice Essex grand that sounded nice and bright and had a wonderful action (who knew?).

As a comparison, I went over to Beethoven's and Faust Harrison to try some others. I want to get a grand, and my wide says we don't have room (I'm just starting to win that argument). The two pianos that really stood out were 1) M&H 52" vertical (sorry, too lazy to look up model numbers), and the Estonia 6'2", which to me sounded and felt better that the S&S equivalent at less than half the price. (Pique, is that the one you have?)

Re: new york city in october - 09/21/03 01:00 PM

i have a 6'4" grotrian-steinweg i bought from beethoven pianos. did you see any grotrians there? i spoke to carl (beethoven's owner) yesterday and he says he has three being shipped to him directly from the factory in germany that should be in his showroom and prepped by october 18th.

he was apparently unaware of our visit. perhaps whoever made our appointment with beethoven's spoke to someone other than carl? anyway, i told him we'd be there around 2 pm on the 18th and who we are and he's very glad to have us.

Re: new york city in october - 09/21/03 03:07 PM

Quote:
Beethoven's is taken care of.
I talked to Chris Pfund at Beethoven Pianos, and he said they would love to have us on the 18th at any of the remaining time slots - 1, 2, or 3:30. They are open until 7:30 on Sat.

Also, Chris indicated that they will start selling Grotrians, and should have a few in by the 18th. [/b]
Pique,

This is my post form a while back. I shoudl probably confirm, then. I saw one fairly old Grotrian Steinweg. Didn't do anything for me - probably because it was fairly small - and it was pretty expensive.

Re: new york city in october - 09/21/03 04:28 PM

Quote:
i don't blame you for wanting to be spared reading the whole thread.

if you come into town on the 17th, you can join a few of us who are planning to attend a concert at faust-harrison that evening.

dr. laul, the owner of estonia, will be giving a lecture concert and there will be other performers on various pianos, including eubie blake.

then, on the 18th, at 1 pm, we are all meeting at a&c pianocraft (not sure of the address--anyone?). from there we move on to beethoven pianos, faust harrison, and klavier haus, all on west 58th street. we have appointments with each dealer, about an hour apart.

at around 5:30 or 6, we're headed off to dinner at a highly recommended thai restaurant in the neighborhood. (at least, that seems where people are leaning--we haven't had any thai detractors so far).

it is still to be determined if we are going to also go to the beaux arts trio concert that evening at the met museum of art.

please put your preferences in to the mix, frank, so they can be taken into account. thai or no? concert? or hang out longer at piano dealers and linger over dinner? [/b]
I've never tried thai, but I'm game. I'll eat almost anything, about the only exceptions are raw fish and really spicey food.

I'll probably pass on the concert Sat., I'd rather go someplace we could sit around sipping cocktails and listening to a good jazz pianist, but that's just me.

I'm not 100% sure I can make it, but I'm sure going to try. BTW, I plan on brining a digital camera, I hope others will too. We need pictures!

Re: new york city in october - 09/21/03 10:22 PM

I could live on Thai food so you can count me in for Thai.

Frank, any good Thai restaurant will allow you to specify mild, medium or hot.

Re: new york city in october - 09/21/03 10:30 PM

I apologize if this has already been asked and answered, but where would there be "reasonable" accommodations for the nights of the 17th/18th, price and location convenient to Faust-Harrison and the piano crawl?

Mulling it over...

Re: new york city in october - 09/21/03 10:51 PM

there is actually a howard johnson's on 57th between 9th and 10th (or used to be). it is reasonable, but not beautiful.

irving, what is the name of the hotel that is on the north side of 58th right in your block? i can't find the brochure i saved from it. it looked nice. do you know if it is?

frank, thai can be very spicy, but at most thai restaurants you can ask them to make it mild, or order something that isn't spicy. many of the dishes are made with a red, yellow, or green curry sauce, and i imagine you could ask them to not use the sauce.

Re: new york city in october - 09/22/03 01:32 PM

Hi, Everyone:

If A&C is more than a block or two from Beethoven's, Faust Harrison, and Klavierhaus, then I'll skip A&C and just meet up with everyone at Beethoven's.

As far as restaurants, I'm fine with either Italian or Thai. My limitations involve proximity and accessability. I am unable to walk very far or to climb stairs. Not familiar with the city - are any of the candidate restaurants close to the dealers?

Does anyone have info on ticket prices for Beaux Art Trio?

Thanks . . . Linda

Re: new york city in october - 09/22/03 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Linda in PA:
Hi, Everyone:

If A&C is more than a block or two from Beethoven's, Faust Harrison, and Klavierhaus, then I'll skip A&C and just meet up with everyone at Beethoven's.

As far as restaurants, I'm fine with either Italian or Thai. My limitations involve proximity and accessability. I am unable to walk very far or to climb stairs. Not familiar with the city - are any of the candidate restaurants close to the dealers?

Does anyone have info on ticket prices for Beaux Art Trio?

Thanks . . . Linda [/b]
Linda, I would hate to have you miss out on A&C. If you want, I'll cab with you from there to Beethoven's.

Speaking of Beethoven's, I just got off the phone with Chris there and confirmed 2:00 on the 18th.
He is not sure he will have any Grotrians that day. They had two, but he said they were sold already.

Re: new york city in october - 09/22/03 07:44 PM

Quote:
Linda, I would hate to have you miss out on A&C. If you want, I'll cab with you from there to Beethoven's. [/b]
Phlebas, that is very kind of you - I will take you up on the offer. I have not been to A&C, so it would be nice to visit. Thank you! [/b]

Quote:
...He is not sure he will have any Grotrians that day. They had two, but he said they were sold already. [/b]
WOW - Bad for us, but good for Beethoven's! Perhaps Chris can share information about PianoWorld and our upcoming visit with the new owners. Maybe one of the new Grotrian owners would even be willing to postpone delivery until after our soire? Nah, who am I kidding. Still, it's nice to see a dealer get off to a good start with a new line.

Re: new york city in october - 09/22/03 11:08 PM

the owner of beethoven's told me there is a fresh shipment of three new grotrians leaving germany this week, and he thinks it is very likely they'll be in the store by the time of our visit.

Re: new york city in october - 09/23/03 07:11 PM

Quote:
there is actually a howard johnson's on 57th between 9th and 10th (or used to be). it is reasonable, but not beautiful.[/b]
It's a "used to be." It's now some sort of fancy "Italian Grille." (Actually, it was on 8th a bit lower down, near Times Square. Unless you are talking about someplace completely different.)

You gotta go to Waterbury, CT if you want fried clams. (They have a real hottie cashier!)

Re: new york city in october - 09/23/03 08:08 PM

Quote:
[QUOTE] ... (They have a real hottie cashier!) [/b]
OK, forget the piano crawl. I'm bypassing NYC for CT!

Re: new york city in october - 09/23/03 09:29 PM

Oh, no! Stop in for the piano crawl. I posted a link earlier for a web site with some ideas: Best Hotel Bets

Also, this site has some ideas (The Pickwick Arms, Bently, and Inter-Continental Barclay are not too far from where the crawl will happen): Favorite Hotels (Anything on the link "Midtown West" over on the left will be pretty close to the crawl too.
Posted by: Palindrome

Re: new york city in october - 09/23/03 10:04 PM

I come to NYC every November & have stayed at the Bentley for the past two years. It's quite restful.

Re: new york city in october - 09/23/03 10:15 PM

this isn't a restaurant, tom, it's a hotel.

maybe it's a day's inn? it's on the south side of 57th between 9th and tenth. i'm not recommending it, but it is close, and reasonably priced for new york.

Re: new york city in october - 09/23/03 10:21 PM

i've stayed at the mayflower hotel--in a suite. it's wonderful! i don't know how much they charge though, as i was brought in to do a tv show and the program payed for the room.

thanks for posting the links to the hotels, because here is the hotel i was trying to remember that is right on piano row:

carnegie suites hotel

ok, and with a little help from the same web site, i found out it is a HOLIDAY INN that is on west 57th street. here's the link for them:

holiday inn

Re: new york city in october - 09/24/03 02:11 PM

Thanks to all for the hotel info.

Carnegie Suites has no rooms for that weekend and Holiday Inn only has rooms for $420 cheapest rate for the weekend. I'll keep checking.

Re: new york city in october - 09/24/03 02:25 PM

I usually stay at the Renaissance (Marriott property), 7th ave at W. 48th. It's a short cab ride or brisk walk to piano row from there.

Rates start at $299.00

It's an older hotel, but kept up nicely.
They have high speed internet access:-)

Foleys restaurant inside the hotel offers great seafood and a perfect view of Times Square. There's even a
Yamaha baby grand off the lobby, next to one of the bars.

Re: new york city in october - 09/24/03 03:02 PM

try expedia.com and priceline.com

expedia.com buys rooms ahead in blocks at discount prices. i got great deals in hawaii in the high season using them. this also means that there may be empty rooms, but they are being held by a consolidator like expedia.

priceline.com lets you name the price you are willing to pay and the class of hotel. and maybe the neighborhood, too.

i wouldn't put too much store by staying right next to piano row. there is the subway system and cabs, you know!

i myself will be staying at a friend's in gramercy park, which is not convenient to piano row at all. and some of us are coming in from outer boroughs.

Re: new york city in october - 09/24/03 03:19 PM

I don't mind walking at all. In fact, I much prefer it to other modes of travel. So I don't don't mind being several blocks away. Looks like the Bentley (as recommended by Palindrome) has rooms. Probably worth making a reservation; I can cancel if I decide not to attend.

$299 rate is more than I would want to spend, a matter of priority rather than affordability. All I really need is a bed and a bathroom. Actually, all I really need is a floor and a bathroom (I guess that means that all I really need is a bathroom). Too bad NYC doesn't have those little sleeping cubicle things that they have in Tokyo. Has anyone ever seen them?

Re: new york city in october - 09/25/03 09:52 AM

$299/night is ridiculous, ed. if you don't mind a european style hotel (shared bath), there are dozens, with rooms available those nights, for under $100 a night.

if you want your own bathroom, and to be in a "nice" hotel, i just did a quick search on expedia.com and found many, many three- and four-star hotels right in manhattan that have rooms available those nights; they start at $140.

the best of these is the new york helmsley, a four-star hotel near grand central station, for $169 a night. that's a special rate just for expedia customers.

you buy the room from expedia. the hotels might tell you they are full, but expedia now owns the rooms at a block discount, so i really think this is your best bet.

if it were me, before i even went the expedia route, however, i would go to priceline.com and tell them i want a four-star hotel in midtown for $80/night, standard room, and see what i get.

if i failed there, i'd go to expedia.

glad to see you can make it. i don't want hotels rooms to stand in anybody's way. ;\)

Re: new york city in october - 09/25/03 07:16 PM

Got a room at the Holiday Day Inn Midtown (two blocks from Central Park) for $179.00+tax through Hotels.com. Thought that was not too bad a rate.

Rich

Re: new york city in october - 09/26/03 06:41 AM

Hey Rich. I bet you don't know that your AA is now residing in Thailand.

Re: new york city in october - 09/29/03 07:40 AM

Could someone repeat the itinerary here, including the name of the store, location, and times?

Are we planning on all meeting up at the first store, or someplace else beforehand?

Thanks.

Re: new york city in october - 09/29/03 10:24 AM

frank,
i got your email saying you didn't get mine, but otherwise haven't heard from you. i've sent you three emails and also left a voice message on your telephone. have you received any of them?

itinerary for saturday oct. 18th

1 p.m. a&c pianocraft
2 p.m. beethoven's
3 p.m. faust harrison
4 p.m. klavier haus

questions to the group at large:

are we or are we not going to a concert that evening with an 8 p.m. curtain?
if we are, then we need a 5:30 p.m. dinner reservation.
if we are not, do we want to revise the above schedule to give ourselves more time at the beginning, so we have time to walk uptown? and then a little more wiggle room so we have time to regather and walk to the next store? then it would be something like this:

1 p.m. a&c pianocraft
2:30 beethoven's
3:45 faust harrison
5 klavier haus

does anyone know if that would be feasible with the stores in question? i believe beethoven's is open late. maybe we could switch them with klavier haus to give us a little more flexibility?

otherwise, if we are going to hear the beax arts trio, or if any of us are, we'll need to stick to the more rigid schedule.

more questions:

do we have a quorum on the restaurant choice? are we going for thai? anyone want to volunteer to make the reservation? and what is our head count at this point?

i will post a notice on the main forum for everyone who is coming to dinner to check in here.

finally, to answer frank's other question, i think it should work fine for all of us to initially meet at a&c pianocraft. some people will no doubt be drifting in and out of the crawl anyway.

who has the address? could you post it again?

Re: new york city in october - 09/29/03 11:12 AM

Pique,

Thanks for calling our attention to these details again.

I have a small suggestion. Why don't I post a "factsheet" under a separate topic name -- maybe "NYC Itinerary" -- with just piano store appointments and addresses, so people don't have to repost them here all the time? Also restaurant address and time. And I won't revise that itinerary until it's all agreed upon in this 7-page thread?

Count me in, in the head count.

No concert for me.

Once y'all decide on whether to go to the concert or not, we can figure out whether to alter the piano store schedule. But should we be a bit cautious about changing the schedule? as in one case anyway, (Faust) I think they said they're closing off the store to other customers while we're there.

I'll volunteer to make the restaurant reservation. Are we agreed on Bangkok Cuisine? (The restaurant name?) Would anybody who definitely does NOT want Thai food please post here?

Re: new york city in october - 09/29/03 11:32 AM

realplayer,

the "nyc itinerary" topic is a great idea. thanks for thinking of it and offering to execute it. we could then post links to it in the other forums after it's been finalized.

it shouldn't be a problem to adjust the schedule if we do it soon. we're still giving them nearly three weeks' notice. but we should make a definite plan asap.

hope we get the answers to your other pointed questions soon. \:\)

count me in for the whole day.
count me in for thai food.
i could go either way on the concert and will go with the consensus. i lean very slightly towards not having a concert to get to so that we can have more flexibility at the piano showrooms and be more relaxed at dinner.

Re: new york city in october - 09/29/03 11:36 AM

I'm probably not up for the concert. Thai is fine with me.

I think we have a ball-park figure of about 20 people.

Re: new york city in october - 09/29/03 01:15 PM

NEW THREAD

As discussed above, I've posted a new thread named "NYC Itinerary" in this forum. Please read it, but don't post to it. This is where we can go to see exactly where we're going and when -- according to current consensus, which I will revise according to decisions in the "new york city in october" thread.

Your comments are welcome.

Should I list the Beaux Arts concert in the NYC Itinerary notice?

Re: new york city in october - 09/29/03 01:15 PM

just saw pique's post on the other forum ..

I'll say again, Count me in for crawl and dinner.

Show is no good for my finances though.

;\) \:D

Re: new york city in october - 09/29/03 02:58 PM

I'm in for some crawling and dinner -- thai is my first choice. Would prefer not to rush off for a concert.

Re: new york city in october - 09/29/03 05:21 PM

Hi, All:

Bangkok Cuisine is fine with me.

Does anyone know the ticket prices for Beaux Arts Trio - or where they are performing so that I can check on ticket prices?

I'd vote to leave the dealer times as they are currently confirmed to allow time for anyone who wants to do something after dinner.

Thanks . . . Linda

Re: new york city in october - 09/29/03 09:45 PM

I'm in for the crawl and dinner.

rich

Re: new york city in october - 09/29/03 10:05 PM

It looks like I'm in for the crawl and the dinner, but somebody has to tell me what I'm eating:-)

Re: new york city in october - 09/29/03 10:22 PM

linda,

the beaux arts trio is at the metropolitan museum of art, which is at 5th avenue and east 82nd street. the tickets were for $35.

i think a lot of us want to skip the concert because we want to be able to take more time at the showrooms, so i don't know if it will work to keep to the stricter schedule if a smaller number of us want to go to a concert later.

if it turns out that the majority want flex time at the dealers, and to eat dinner later, and a few want to go to the concert, how should we handle that?

Re: new york city in october - 09/30/03 11:21 AM

With the intention of getting a head count, could we hear from a few people who haven't posted here in a while?

Please state which of the following you want to attend: piano crawl, dinner, concert.

Earlier posters we haven't heard from in a while are:

Lucy in the Sky
David Burton
Sam
Kluurs
PianoMuse
Concertkey
TomK

Jodi and Ed responded to this thread, but they live far away. Not coming?

Thanks. I've noted who has responded in the last few days. Maybe I'll keep running tab on who's attending what, and update it on "NYC Itinerary".

So far, for the concert we have only two people interested, and they are undecided: Pique and Linda in PA.

Re: new york city in october - 09/30/03 12:20 PM

pique: Thanks for the info!

Joe: Good idea!

For itinerary purposes, my plans are:

* Piano Crawl: Yes
* Dinner: Yes
* Beaux Arts Trio: Would be interested if others are planning to attend.

Thanks . . . Linda

Re: new york city in october - 10/01/03 01:07 PM

Quote:
[QB...
Jodi and Ed responded to this thread, but they live far away. Not coming?

...[/QB]
"Far away" is relative. Jodi lives far away.

I'll do my best to commit to this event or not ASAP.

The default should be, assume I won't make it unless you hear otherwise. If there's an issue with dinner reservations, I can always go listen to the pianist at Mickey D's. No concert. I'm partial to Frank's idea of a jazz piano bar.
Posted by: Ockie

Re: new york city in october - 10/04/03 06:31 PM

Hi all,

This is my first post here, though I've followed--and enjoyed--the forum since my piano purchase a couple of years ago. (For the curious: a Young Chang U-131 from the Piano Mill outside of Boston.)

Anyway, I just moved to Manhattan in September and would love to come along on your crawl and dinner. Probably not up for the concert.

Thanks much.
Posted by: BeeLady

Re: new york city in october - 10/04/03 08:24 PM

For those of us unable to make it, will someone in on the crawl remember to bring a digital camera and post LOTS of pics afterwards? Thanks. I would love to live vicariously thru you all! \:D

Re: new york city in october - 10/05/03 09:35 PM

Ockie,

Welcome to the Forum, and welcome to New York as well! You're included in on the piano crawl and the dinner (which is looking like Thai right now).

BeeLady,

Thanks for the reminder about pics. I bought my wife a digital camera recently, and we're still sort of just learning about it (which is why you all haven't yet seen pics of my M&H yet!) I'll try to remember to bring it along, but also hope someone else will bring a camera too.

Re: new york city in october - 10/06/03 11:23 AM

Re: Head Count

I have revised "NYC Itinerary" to include who's attending what, as of Oct. 7. See that thread for details, let me know of corrections.

We have 10 for the piano crawl, 11 for dinner, none committed to concert yet.

Re: new york city in october - 10/07/03 04:13 PM

Quote:
Re: Head Count

I have revised "NYC Itinerary" to include who's attending what, as of Oct. 7. See that thread for details, let me know of corrections.

We have 10 for the piano crawl, 11 for dinner, none committed to concert yet. [/b]
Thanks, Realplayer. I'm thinking we should get off the dime, and make a reservation at the Thai place, and just say we have 11-16 or so people.

Any objections out there?

Re: new york city in october - 10/07/03 09:26 PM

yes, i think it is time to firm things up.

and it looks like there isn't a lot of interest in the concert.

therefore, i think we should perhaps redesign our schedule a bit so that we get a little more time at the stores, and have a relaxing dinner as well.

i think it would be nice if we had at least a full hour at each store, and since the first store is not near the others, it would be nice to have a little more wiggle room on time.

here is a proposal:

1 pm a&c pianocraft

3:30 faust harrison

4:30 klavier haus

i don't know how late klavier haus is open, but i understand they have some incredible pianos, including some hamburg steinways.

if 4:30 is too late for them, perhaps we could switch their time with beethoven's, as beethoven's is open late. and then we wouldn't be rushed at the end.

then it would be:

1 pm a&c
2:30 klavier haus
4:30 beethoven's

we could make our dinner reservation for 6 or 6:30 pm, since the restaurant is also a distance from piano row. that way, if anyone has gotten tickets for the evening, they'll still have enough time to eat and run off to a concert (though we'd rather they stuck around to do the piano jazz bar crawl later ;\) ).

what do all of you think?

if we call the stores now to change the schedule, they'll still have a week and a half's notice. i can't think a half hour would impact them too much, as long as they are given advance warning.

i think also we should go ahead and make a reservation at the thai restaurant. make it for 16 people to be on the safe side.

i might be bringing a friend along for the crawl and dinner, btw.

Re: new york city in october - 10/07/03 09:27 PM

Phlebas,

I think Pique had the idea that before setting a restaurant time we should a) find out if anyone's going to the concert and b) if not, extend our times at the piano dealers and then arrange for a later, more leisurely dinner.

Re: new york city in october - 10/08/03 03:11 PM

Quote:
i think it would be nice if we had at least a full hour at each store, and since the first store is not near the others, it would be nice to have a little more wiggle room on time.

here is a proposal:

1 pm a&c pianocraft

4:30 klavier haus

i don't know how late klavier haus is open, but i understand they have some incredible pianos, including some hamburg steinways.

if 4:30 is too late for them, perhaps we could switch their time with beethoven's, as beethoven's is open late. and then we wouldn't be rushed at the end.

then it would be:

1 pm a&c
2:30 klavier haus
4:30 beethoven's

[/b]
Pique,

I don't think it is necessary to switch Beethoven's with Klavier Haus because when I talked to KH they said 4 or 4:30 to 5:30 was fine. My impression is we won't be rushed out the door at any of the dealers we talked to (of course, I only talked to Beethoven, and KH, so I am basing this on their welcoming attitude towards us).

Does that make sense, or am I being too cavalier?

Re: new york city in october - 10/08/03 06:41 PM

it sounded like irving faust wanted to know if it was going to be 3 or 3:30, so i think he's the only one that probably cares if we are arriving at a particular time. i'm sure beethoven's won't be looking at their watch, and if klavier haus is open long enough for us to get in at least a full hour there, then i guess we don't have to call them.

but, it wouldn't hurt to make sure we won't be cutting ourselves short at KH, i would think. especially if we are running late. they've been closed every time i've been to nyc the last few years, so i don't want to miss them this time.
Posted by: RKVS1

Re: new york city in october - 10/09/03 11:37 AM

Better late than never, I guess. I've decided to make the trek from Topeka to NYC to join the piano crawlers.

I was able to move some meetings etc. around to free up Thursday and Friday and I plan to fly into Philadelphia to see some friends and then go on into NYC Friday and pester at least the Fazioli people.

Anybody know of any decent piano stores in Phily? Just kidding, I hope to be able to drop in at Cunninghams on (probably) Thursday afternoon or Friday morning.
I'm just hoping Mcllhenny will give Rich a little time to show me around.

I guess I'm looking for a little advice here both about transport from Philadelphia to NYC and other piano dealers in the area.

Altenburgs in Elizabeth NJ is one I might like to see also and if I came in from Phily Friday morning, I suspect I could stop there on the way to NYC. but I'm not sure which agency to contact to find out the nittier details of which stop to use. (I'm assuming there are plenty of trains from Phily to NYC)

I think someone mentioned that the Fazioli dealership is in or very near the building that houses the Bosie folks, somewhere on the east side, but I need to find out if a person does indeed need an appointment to see the Fazioli showroom. Does anyone know if that is true?
Maybe I'm way off there. Maximillinas at 32 & Lex has the Bosies and the art cases, but checking my raggedy notes didn't come up with a mention of Fazioli. They are there SOMEWHERE, aren't they? At Klavierhouse, maybe?

I spent a week in the city with my two sons in September 1999, so I'm halfway familiar with the general layout, but I'm not sure which other stores would be best to visit. Is Steinway Hall a not-to-be missed dealership, or will we see plenty of them in the official crawl? I'll probably go to ForteForte to see what all the fussfuss was about. I just won't take my PianoWorld mug inside :p

Suggestions for other dealers not on the crawl that I haven't mentioned? Brands I have never even SEEN include Fazioli, Grotrian, Bluthner, (and only a couple of Schulze Pollmanns). \:\(

I assume the concert at Faust Harrison 7pm Friday is still scheduled. I haven't been to their website to check it.

Thanks, hope to see you \:\)

Bob

Re: new york city in october - 10/09/03 05:38 PM

Way to go! RKVS1. Glad you're coming.

Last time I was in KlavierHaus (a few weeks ago) they had a few Faziolis (nice!).

Amtrak travels between Philly and NYC, appr. 1.5 hr ride I think. You might check NJTransit on the web, they may have something too. There's probably a lot of buses too.

RE: the concert at Faust, I've reserved a seat and should be there. I think at least a few others are also planning to attend.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Re: new york city in october - 10/09/03 05:54 PM

that's great news, bob! who is making the dinner reservations? is it phlebas? better make it for 20. who knows who else might decide to show up at the last minute? ;\)

altenburg's is the elizabeth, nj stop on the train. the trains may not all stop in elizabeth, and i'm not even positive it is the amtrak philly-nyc run that stops there. but even if you have to go all the way into penn station in nyc, it is a quick 20 minute train ride from there to elizabeth.

then you can easily walk from the train platform to the store. you might want to call them in advance to get the directions and find out about the train schedule and which train it is.

edit: oops! i see it is realplayer who volunteered to make dinner reservations at bangkok cuisine. sorry about that phlebas. it is hard keeping track of what's what after seven pages.

Re: new york city in october - 10/09/03 05:59 PM

Sorry, I hoped to make this trip -- but work load prohibits me from attending... Blah... Hope you have a wonderful time.

Ken

Re: new york city in october - 10/10/03 01:10 PM

Hi, gang.

So where do we stand? Shall we take extra time at the piano stores? I wasn't the one who called Klavierhaus, so could that person ask them if later is OK? I could call Faust and switch us to 3:30 if that is what we're doing, should I?

I phoned Bangkok Cuisine just to get an idea about the place. Yes, they serve alcohol, have a full bar. They have no problem doing a reservation, but said if it's 15 people or more, we would get our own room. But so far it doesn't look like that many people -- we're at 11 or 12. They could also put tables together in the main restaurant. Communication is a little tricky because of the language thing. They want me to call with a more exact number of patrons for a reservation.

I apologize for not checking out the place in person. I'm just never in that part of town.

I won't be going to the Beaux Arts but may saunter down to a different concert after dinner -- but won't rush dinner to get there, no biggie.

For me the issue now is -- what the heck am I going to play? I'm practicing various things, mostly ensemble music, but no solos are ready to play. Gotta give this some thought.

Re: new york city in october - 10/11/03 06:31 AM

Hi,

Sorry that I've been out of touch. Please count me in for anything after five o'clock and until all hours! I might bring Alan and Allegra to the dinner if it isn't too late. Does anyone know what time it will be?

Best,

Re: new york city in october - 10/11/03 09:21 AM

Quote:

For me the issue now is -- what the heck am I going to play? I'm practicing various things, mostly ensemble music, but no solos are ready to play. Gotta give this some thought. [/b]
Hey, I guess I better start thinking about that too!

It looks like we could definately be 20 people, and IMO it would be great if they gave us our own room - with a piano ;\) .

If I have a chance, I'll stop by there to take a look at the place, but I'm like you - never in that neighborhood.

Thanks for calling them up though.

Re: new york city in october - 10/11/03 10:58 AM

lucy, i wondered where you were! glad i'm going to get to see you and meet alan and allegra.

i vote for making a reservation for 20 people at the thai restaurant, and getting our own room--that would be great!

and i think 6 pm is a good time to have our dinner reservation. by that time, we'll have been on the crawl for five hours and we'll probably be famished.

plus, then those who want to move on to a concert will have enough time to make their curtains. the rest of us will have plenty of time to relax over dinner and see where the evening takes us.

just curious if tomk knows his schedule any better and might be joining us with his family?

Re: new york city in october - 10/13/03 05:17 PM

Just FYI --

I made a reservation at Bangkok Cuisine for 6:00 PM on Saturday. The guy I spoke to said he will try to get us a separate room, although his story was that we need 20 or over. Well, there is still a smaller separate room for under 20, if that's what turns out.

I'll post the address on "NYC Itinerary" soon.

Re: new york city in october - 10/13/03 06:24 PM

Is this a COAT and Thia restaurant?

(I need to know before I pack)

Bob \:D

I'll be there with bells on.

Re: new york city in october - 10/13/03 08:12 PM

Bob asks:

Quote:
Is this a COAT and Thai restaurant?
No, but you can THAI one on at the full bar. \:D ... :rolleyes:

Seriously, I've never been there, but I can't recall any ethnic places that require coat and tie unless they're known for being fancy. I'm not planning coat and tie at this point.
Posted by: Ockie

Re: new york city in october - 10/13/03 08:13 PM

Hi Joe,

A belated thanks for the welcome! You confirm what I've found (and already knew): despite wide reputation to the contrary, NYers tend to be quite kind and friendly.

See you (all) Saturday.

Okie

Re: new york city in october - 10/13/03 08:17 PM

Hello, All:

My fingers don't really want to type this message, but it seems I must. A family situation has arisen which will preclude my travel to NYC on Saturday. I have looked forward to this get-together for weeks now, and am deeply disappointed that I will miss out on all of the fun and the rare opportunity to meet each of you.

I hope that you have a wonderful time and that you will post lots of pictures so that I can see what I missed. Would also enjoy hearing about what each of you decided to play. For what it's worth, I've been working on the following pieces to play for you:

• Clementi's Sonatina in G Major, Op. 36, No. 2, Movements I and II
  • Bach's Invention No. 4 in D Minor, BWV 775

I was especially looking forward to your feedback on my left-hand trill in the Bach Invention (measures 29-33). Well, perhaps another time.

Best wishes to all. I hope we'll have another chance to meet.

. . . Linda (forlorn and dejected) in PA

Re: new york city in october - 10/13/03 09:42 PM

Is anyone else bringing kids? I'm trying to decide whether to bring Allegra, or try to find a babysitter. If all else fails, the babysitter would have to be Alan, and I know that he would enjoy getting together with everyone.

Re: new york city in october - 10/13/03 10:04 PM

Ah ratsoli, Linda! I was looking forward to meeting you. Sorry you are going to miss it. I hope whatever situation came up works out ok.

Bob
Posted by: concertkey

Re: new york city in october - 10/13/03 10:21 PM

Sorry to have dropped out of sight on this crawl. My wife is going into the city that day on an early bus for an interior design seminar. I may be able to take a later bus into the city (do not want to drive in) and have her meet us there. Also, have been feeling a little sheepish about seeing all the dealers that I met but didn't buy from! Lastly, have been fighting some tendonitis in my right elbow and didn't want to irritate it all over again. Am slowly getting back into the repertoire.

I will express my intentions after speaking to my wife.

Incidently, I have purchased an instrument but have been too busy with the opening of the school year and construction in the house to announce it.

Re: new york city in october - 10/14/03 12:52 AM

Linda in PA, \:\( . Life is so unpredictable! Drat. I know it's little consolation now, but I'm sure we'll be having other get-togethers.

Lucy In The Sky, well I won't be bringing any children. It would be sad if Alan missed it. I'd say if the worse happens and he has to babysit, he should babysit Allegra at the piano crawl! That way, if she gets tired and they have to leave early, at least he'll experience some of it. \:\)

concertkey, do try to make it, at least come for dinner. It would be great to meet you and you know what they say... "the more the merrier..." Anyway, you don't owe the dealers anything... for all they know you could have inherited a piano since you last spoke with them! Also, you know, playing is optional. Congrats on the piano!

Re: new york city in october - 10/14/03 10:03 AM

Linda, very sorry you won't be able to make it. \:\( I was looking forward to meeting you. But as Bernard said, there'll be a next time.

Concertkey, I do hope you find that you'll be able to make it. It'll be fun.

Now, what's the verdict on piano store times? Should I call Faust and say it'll be 3:30 instead of 3?

Re: new york city in october - 10/14/03 11:43 AM

RP you thought my coat&thia joke was so bad I'd be embarrassed to show up there?? NO WAY! I'll be there ready to chow down with the best of them. \:\)

Bob(D1)

Re: new york city in october - 10/14/03 02:12 PM

Quote:
Linda, very sorry you won't be able to make it. \:\( I was looking forward to meeting you. But as Bernard said, there'll be a next time.

Concertkey, I do hope you find that you'll be able to make it. It'll be fun.

Now, what's the verdict on piano store times? Should I call Faust and say it'll be 3:30 instead of 3? [/b]
RealPlayer,

I have a call in to Gabor Reisinger at KlavierHaus to confirm 4:30 there. I also want to make sure we can have a full hour there.
If you think I need to, I can call Beethoven's to confirm 2:00.

Re: new york city in october - 10/14/03 02:16 PM

pique: I figured if I posted this here you would see it, and at the same time other NY'ers would see it too.

Pedro de Alcantara, the author of "Indirect Procedures", a book on Alexander Technique for musicians, is giving a seminar on Sunday 10/19 from 6-9 pm in the Rose Building at Lincoln Center (10th floor, room 1).

I've been told he's accepting 4 students to work with and 25 auditors. I've signed up to audit. $75 to participate; $40 to audit.

If you're interest in this, call Kathy Jarka at (212) 787-1534 (or lemoncelli@yahoo.com) to reserve a seat.
Posted by: Axtremus

Re: new york city in october - 10/14/03 06:48 PM

Hello,

If this is not too late, I would like to let you all know that
(1) I would like to join the Piano Crawl
(2) I would like to have dinner with the group

I realize (2) may require advance reservations. So feel free to drop me if you can't fit me in at this late notice.

(Edit: deleted the concert-related comment -- just realize that it doesn't look like the group will be going to any concert as a whole anyway. ;\) )

Thanks.

Re: new york city in october - 10/15/03 12:29 AM

Axtremus, don't know where I've been, but this is probably the first time I've seen your handle! A belated welcome from me. \:\)

And we'd love to have you join us. I don't think reservations will be a problem. RealPlayer, maybe you can confirm this? BTW, you guys and gals (RealPlayer, Phlebas, pique) are really great to do all this scheduling of times and making reservations.

I have no idea what the concert situation is at the present time, but I gather that there are not many planning to attend the Beaux Arts Trio at the Met. I think it will be just grand to linger at the restaurant and talk, talk, talk and then mosey on over to some place with music, such as a jazz club as Frank has suggested.

Lucy In The Sky, I've been thinking more about your question, and personally, I think it would be just wonderful if you brought Allegra along.

Re: new york city in october - 10/16/03 02:54 AM

OK, I'm committed to coming into NYC on Friday for the concert at Faust Harrison at 7 pm (have already put in reservations for 2 with the store), then the piano store tour on Saturday, please let's finalize the schedule and post it here sometime in the next 24 hrs, and dinner (I'll need 2 reservations). I'm leaving for NYC on Friday morning, will be walking around midtown til 6 or so if anyone wants to meet me anywhere.

Re: new york city in october - 10/16/03 10:39 AM

I keep missing Gabor Reisinger at KlavierHaus. Is still have a call in to him - he called me back, but I had left work.

I did confirm with someone else, though, that we are scheduled for this Sat. at 4 or 4:30. They said that they will be open until about 6:00 that day. I told them that would be great because we really wanted to see their pianos, and have at least a full hour there.

I'm expecting a call from Gabor to confirm.

BTW, LindaInPA: I'm ver sorry to hear you are not able to make it. I was looking forward to meeting you - and hearing you play. If you're ever in NYC again.....

Re: new york city in october - 10/16/03 01:55 PM

After looking at RealPlayer's schedule in the other thread, I confirmed with Beethoven's for 2:30. So, we should be on track with all the stops.

Re: new york city in october - 10/16/03 02:33 PM

sorry i've been out of the loop. i'm in new york now, and it has been nonstop from the minute i arrived.

it sounds like we are on track for the new schedule, with A&C at 1 pm, beethoven's at 2:30, FH at 3:30 and KH at 4:30. is that right?

looking forward to seeing all of you in just two days!

does someone want to post a last call notice on the main piano forum and the pianist corner to bring this to the attention of latecomers to the thread? maybe link to the excellent itinerary thread?

sorry, i gotta run! see you there!

Re: new york city in october - 10/16/03 05:28 PM

Hi, everyone.

I'm not sure what I was thinking -- but I neglected to contact Faust Harrison until today about moving our time there from 3:00 to 3:30. I guess I wasn't totally sure we were going with the later arrangement. Then yesterday I read the last 2 pages of posts and it really sounded like that's what everyone wanted to do. So I posted the new times on NYC Itinerary.

Anyway I taked to Kevin there today -- he thought it would be fine, but I'd originally spoken with Michael. And I will now try to send Irving a private message just to be sure it's OK with him.

I assume I'll hear back from someone at FH if there's any problem. In which case I'll post here immediately.

And I'm really sorry if I've goofed up, but hopefully not.

Re: new york city in october - 10/17/03 12:23 AM

Bernard,

It was lovely of you to suggest that I bring Allegra. I wasn't sure how people would feel about having a small child around, even one who loves the piano and practices without being asked. I think that I will stay home with her Saturday afternoon to be certain that she takes a nap, and then bring her to dinner. Alan will take her home if she gets tired.

Would you bring me my piano pictures Saturday evening? I've intended to call you about them but my schedule has been nuts the past three weeks.

By the way, I have tickets reserved for the recital at Irving's on Friday night. Depending upon how much work I get done tomorrow, I might not be able to use them. Should anyone need them, they could keep in touch with me at femmedada@aol.com to see how my day is shaping up.

I am so looking forward to seeing everyone!

All of the best,

Re: new york city in october - 10/17/03 12:31 AM

Linda in PA,

I just read your post that you will not be able to make the gathering. I'm so sorry. I was looking forward to meeting you!

Re: new york city in october - 10/17/03 11:14 AM

Hey gang,

I just heard from Irving Faust, and there's no problem at all for us to show up at 3:30. They just wanted to know in advance approximately when, as Saturdays can be busy days.

Those of you who are going to the Indrik Laul concert there tonight, have fun...I may not be there as I have endless PR work to do on an upcoming concert of my own. But it does sound terrific.

Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow!
\:\)
Posted by: MikeMcf31

Re: new york city in october - 10/17/03 02:48 PM

Hi all.. I posted this on the other forum:

If you still have it in you, you might want to hit a piano club afterwards. There are two I can think of offhand that are close by. On W46th between 8th and 9th there is a place called Danny's - the resident piano player is Jerry Scott - he wont play any classical, but he is very talented. If you get bored there, go right across the street to Dont Tell Mamas where Bobby Peaco is playing... oftentimes Broadway performers show up. Guaranteed to have a good time.
Posted by: Calin

Re: new york city in october - 10/17/03 10:47 PM

Hi everybody!

I've met some of the members of the piano crawl at Faust Harrison's this evening (Friday - I was the guy with the blue suit) at the concert and would like to join tomorrow too if it's ok.
I wonder, are you also going to visit Maximiliaan's and the Boesendorfer dealer?

Calin

Re: new york city in october - 10/18/03 08:47 AM

If anyone checks this thread this morning, please pass on that I will likely be late.

I may have to miss the first dealer and catch up with the group at the second store.
Today happens to also be the day we are moving
our daughter into her apartment (in Manhattan), running late packing last minute stuff.

Re: new york city in october - 10/18/03 11:30 AM

Hi Calin, that was a pretty cool concert wasn't it. I especially liked listening to the history of the country of Estonia by the man from the consulate, and also the history of the piano company by Dr. Laul.

I can't get over the disc system... makes me chuckle whenever I think about it... They chose perfect repertoire to show it off I think. The biggest drawback it would seem to me is that everything has to be played quite metronomic, don't you think?

Anyhoo, I'm going to be a little late too, but I'll catch up.

See you all later.