Posted by: M.O.P.

Re: The Acoustic Piano Forum... - 04/26/11 11:10 AM

...anything in particular, or 'just saying'? smile
Posted by: bennevis

Re: The Acoustic Piano Forum... - 04/26/11 11:33 AM

.....that digital pianos are the devil's incarnate? grin
Posted by: leemax

Re: The Acoustic Piano Forum... - 04/26/11 11:52 AM

I don't know if it was the OP's intent, but please let's not get into another "bash digital pianos" thread. We don't need more negativity. That topic was beaten to death not long ago in the digital piano forum ("Digital pianos suck" was the thread title.) Some of us like our digital pianos a lot, and we know some of you hate them a lot, so can't we just leave it at that?
Posted by: AJF

Re: The Acoustic Piano Forum... - 04/26/11 11:56 AM

I'm guessing that Mark has noticed more and more digital threads showing up here. And rather than them being redirected by a moderator or poster they develop into threads.
Posted by: Legal Beagle

Re: The Acoustic Piano Forum... - 04/26/11 12:02 PM

Not just digital threads, but also threads about technique, practice, repertoire, etc. I'm guessing that a forum title that more accurately reflects the fact that it's for discussing the instrument itself would be useful.
Posted by: Rickster

Re: The Acoustic Piano Forum... - 04/26/11 12:15 PM

The way I see it, there is already a “Digital Piano Forum”. The “Piano Forum” might also be interpreted as the “Non-Digital Piano Forum”.

There is nothing wrong with a digital piano. I have a Casio Privia PX310 and I like it; so does my two grandchildren. (Keeps them off my grand laugh ).

And, by-the-way, there is no point in bickering about whether an acoustic piano is better than a digital or vice- versa. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I hate to see bickering and in-fighting among the members here… of course, we are all like a family, and siblings do fight amongst themselves now and then. But, they also love and support one another. laugh

Rick
Posted by: Piano*Dad

Re: The Acoustic Piano Forum... - 04/26/11 01:08 PM

Quote:
The way I see it, there is already a “Digital Piano Forum”. The “Piano Forum” might also be interpreted as the “Non-Digital Piano Forum”.

If only the new posters and the casual wanderers read the same meaning into the forum name. Then we could replace might also be interpreted as with the much simpler is.

P.S. .... as one who spent some time this morning instructing on the construction of the minor scale, on the Piano Forum.
Posted by: turandot

Re: The Acoustic Piano Forum... - 04/26/11 01:34 PM

My parents were great people, but they wasted a lot of precious time and words worrying about the kinds of people that were moving into 'ther' neighborhood.

Re: The Acoustic Piano Forum... - 04/26/11 01:41 PM

Originally Posted By: turandot
My parents were great people, but they wasted a lot of precious time and words worrying about the kinds of people that were moving into 'ther' neighborhood.

Turandot, didn’t you mean “their” neighborhood? (sorry, I couldn’t resist grin )

Take care,

Rick
Posted by: Mark...

Re: The Acoustic Piano Forum... - 04/26/11 01:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Legal Beagle
Not just digital threads, but also threads about technique, practice, repertoire, etc. I'm guessing that a forum title that more accurately reflects the fact that it's for discussing the instrument itself would be useful.

give this kind person a cigar... laugh
Posted by: theJourney

Re: The Acoustic Piano Forum... - 04/26/11 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Rickster
Originally Posted By: turandot

Turandot, didn’t you mean “their” neighborhood? (sorry, I couldn’t resist grin )

Take care,

Rick

Maybe he meant "thor" neighborhood.
Who wouldn't be concerned by such a thunderous event?
Posted by: itsfreakingmeout

Re: The Acoustic Piano Forum... - 04/26/11 02:11 PM

some people just aren't that smart i guess

Re: The Acoustic Piano Forum... - 04/26/11 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark...

give this kind person a cigar... laugh

Thanks, Mark (striking a virtual match and lighting said virtual cigar). Aaaaaaaah. The rare event of somebody offering me a cigar on a special occasion (such as the birth of a child) is the only time Mrs. Beagle will consent to me smoking, so thanks... I think a virtual cigar will pass even her stringent criteria laugh

Re: The Acoustic Piano Forum... - 04/26/11 02:20 PM

Thanks, Mark (striking a virtual match and lighting said virtual cigar). Aaaaaaaah. The rare event of somebody offering me a cigar on a special occasion (such as the birth of a child) is the only time Mrs. Beagle will consent to me smoking, so thanks... I think a virtual cigar will pass even her stringent criteria

Well, you could always get one of those “digital cigars”… you know, the ones that use flavored water vapor and provide the sensation of smoking without the harmful chemicals. laugh

Rick

Re: The Acoustic Piano Forum... - 04/26/11 02:26 PM

Thanks, Mark (striking a virtual match and lighting said virtual cigar). Aaaaaaaah. The rare event of somebody offering me a cigar on a special occasion (such as the birth of a child) is the only time Mrs. Beagle will consent to me smoking, so thanks... I think a virtual cigar will pass even her stringent criteria

Well, you could always get one of those “digital cigars”… you know, the ones that use flavored water vapor and provide the sensation of smoking without the harmful chemicals. laugh

Rick

Thanks for the suggestion, Rick, but I'm definitely an acoustic cigar sort of guy, not that I wish to bash digital cigar owners. whistle
Posted by: BB Player

Re: The Acoustic Piano Forum... - 04/26/11 02:57 PM

It appears to me from this and other internet forums I look at that the first forum in the list almost always turns into a "general discussion" forum regardless of what it's called.

Re: The Acoustic Piano Forum... - 04/26/11 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: BB Player
It appears to me from this and other internet forums I look at that the first forum in the list almost always turns into a "general discussion" forum regardless of what it's called.

I think you are right, Greg.

I remember when Frank B. was making changes to the order of PW forums… even that irritated some members.

We can always politely inform the new members that happen to post a particular question or topic here that it might be better suited for one of the other forums. You know what they say… first impressions are usually the most important.

Personally, I thought Monica K. always did a wonderful job of welcoming new members. I do that some too, and hope she doesn’t think I’ve horned in on her job! smile

Rick

Re: The Acoustic Piano Forum... - 04/26/11 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: BB Player

I bet there would be markedly less if the "acoustic" was added.

I notice that the mods here never redirect threads to the proper forum. Does the software not allow it?

Re: The Acoustic Piano Forum... - 04/26/11 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark

I notice that the mods here never redirect threads to the proper forum. Does the software not allow it?

Hi Mark,

I don’t think this is the case at all… here are just a few examples in some very recent threads.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post1666754

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1665254/buying%20digital%20piano%20under%201,5.html#Post1665254

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post1666211

Best regards,

Rick
Posted by: AJB

Re: The Acoustic Piano Forum... - 04/26/11 03:37 PM

How is a digital piano not acoustic?

If it makes a sound then it meets the definition....to some degree ;-)

if you don't like the thread - there is an easy solution, don't respond, don't read it, don't waste your time.
Posted by: Monica K.

Re: The Acoustic Piano Forum... - 04/26/11 03:58 PM

We can always politely inform the new members that happen to post a particular question or topic here that it might be better suited for one of the other forums. You know what they say… first impressions are usually the most important.

Personally, I thought Monica K. always did a wonderful job of welcoming new members. I do that some too, and hope she doesn’t think I’ve horned in on her job! smile

Aw, thanks, Rick; you're going to make me blush. smile And there's plenty of room on the Welcome Wagon for you and anybody else who wants to join in. I agree with you that first impressions are incredibly important, and the success and vitality of PW will depend largely on how friendly and open the posting environment seems to newbies. That's why I would never want to be too brusque with a newbie who is confused by the forum layout and posts in the wrong place.

Re: The Acoustic Piano Forum... - 04/26/11 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: AJB
How is a digital piano not acoustic?

If it makes a sound then it meets the definition....to some degree ;-)

if you don't like the thread - there is an easy solution, don't respond, don't read it, don't waste your time.

What about the poster who is looking for information that goes unanswered because its in the wrong area? Or the info given can't be seen by those looking where it suppose to be...

Re: The Acoustic Piano Forum... - 04/26/11 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark

Hi Mark,

I don’t think this is the case at all… here are just a few examples in some very recent threads.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post1666754

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1665254/buying%20digital%20piano%20under%201,5.html#Post1665254

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post1666211

Best regards,

Rick

Those are not software redirects. Most forum software allows mods/admin to take a thread and move it to another forum while leaving the thread with a link to the new location. I haven't seen that done here.
Posted by: HwyStar

Re: The Acoustic Piano Forum... - 05/01/11 06:53 PM

I agree that we should rename the first forum to "Acoustic Piano Forum". Since digital has so many different topics to cover than acoustic does the first forum should stand alone.

Even if the descriptions of the two forums are re-written to help new people know where to post that would help. I have bookmarks on my browser set to "AP" and "DP".
Posted by: daviel

Re: The Acoustic Piano Forum... - 05/01/11 07:18 PM

I disagree. The piano comes first here. Pianos are pianos - everybody knows what they are - made out of wood, have strings, etc. . Nobody calls a piano an "acoustic piano." Nobody I know of, that is. "Digital pianos" are electronic devices made to sound like pianos - thankfully, if you have to play one somewhere you can take your own and it's always in tune. There are plenty of synthesizer/DP forums on the internet. At least one site should have the piano as the primary subject - I recommend Piano World for that honor. Keep things as is!